[SE] feel so alive
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
RONIN
Longheat was long, and hot. And Ronin was annoyed at himself for being surprised about it, truly. It was why he found himself meandering around the Settlement just after dawn while it was still cool, to let Sugar stretch her wings. The dragonling was an adept flyer by now, soaring over the rooftops of the other businesses and houses in the area, letting out a shriek of glee whenever she managed to swoop into a deep dive, or spotted something interesting.

It was Sugar, indeed, that became interested in the Devas bakery even before Ronin did, the reptile trilling to him and circling around until she could land on the window sill of the bakery and peer in at the delicious somethings she could smell inside.

"You can't just go gawking in people's windows," Ronin laughed warmly, moving to collect her from the sill - and doing the exact same thing on autopilot. Like dragon like master.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Dawn, and already the baker is stirring, having risen like clockwork before the sun. It is a relief to be home, returned to routine, as grand as her adventure may have been. Padding down familiar stairs into the kitchen is like living a memory, as easy and pleasant as any dream. She does not have to think, to worry: the steps have been laid out for year, a play written by authors far wiser than she. Fetch the kindling. Stoke the fires. Gather the dough she'd left outside, loaves set to rise with wild yeast, fermenting and bubbling overnight.

There is only one difference in her routine, small but significant and not to be ignored. For Amalia has an assistant now, a shadow who swims along in her wake and investigates the goings on with endless curiosity. With every step the girl takes, every action she employs Jyoti is there, peeking and peering and tasting along, her own song a playful harmony to the baker's hum. The starwhale is fascinated by her new environment, endlessly interested in everything she can see. It delights Amalia, but makes it somewhat a challenge to work; and so it is with no little relief that she watches the child dart out of the kitchen, entranced and enamored by some new sound.

Sugar and Ronin are not the only ones gawking through windows, trying to see through curtains and glass. From within the shop another appears, blue as midnight and littered with stars. Jyoti has heard the dragon's arrival and swam out to investigate, ever curious, ever nosy, leaving Amalia to tend the oven. The whale trills a merry greeting, poking her beak from between the curtains before darting back inside, starlight like laughter marking her wake, an invitation for further games.

Amalia & Jyoti
born from dark water, daughters of the rain and snow
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
RONIN
Sugar clearly had no intention of going quietly, the dragonling letting out little growls of protest as Ronin scooped her into his arms like a baby. Her reasoning became evident when the guildmaster spotted Jyoti peeking through the curtains, Ronin’s eyes widening at the display of starlight and song. ”Well isn’t that something,” he murmured softly, utterly entranced by the creature that reminded him so of Safrin.

Stepping back, Sugar still cradled against his chest, he gazed up at the bakery (it smelled utterly amazing). ”I wonder if they are open yet,” he said to his companion. ”Only one way to find out I guess.” So saying, he pushed open the doors and peeked inside, hoping to see another glimpse of the star whale too. ”Hello?”

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Jyoti trills as the pair retreats, mourning their absence, eager for entertainment, wanting some distraction from Amalia's laser focus. The longing cry rises into triumph when Ronin appears once more, his face framed neatly in the open doorway, a staunch dark figure in the morning light. With the cetacean equivalent of a grin the starwhale greets their guests, the infant creature swimming up to eagerly greet the pair. In truth, the man is not her primary interest: she has never seen a dragon before, and is desperately eager to explore and play. With stardust billowing from her blowhole the whale circles the new-met duo before darting into the back of the shop, singing softly for baker's attention.

Amalia had been aware of the commotion, had heard the door open and Ronin's voice- but nothing prepares you for seeing the dead. Despite having heard rumors of the man's resurrection the young baker stops short in her tracks, staring through wide and wondering eyes at the guildmaster who was given a second life. "Ah..." Words falter on her leaden tongue; unabashed she inspects him, dark gaze trailing, as though trying to see through his roguish attire, to find the secrets of his rebirth. It is only Jyoti which starts her from her stupor, the whale's soft but insistent nose pressing against her neck. Clearing her throat, Amalia flushes: what do you say to the returned from the dead?

Same thing you say to any customer, she supposes. "Hi... Ronin. What can I get for you today?"

Amalia & Jyoti
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Whilst Sugar was quite content to loll in Ronin's arms, silvery slip of a tail flickering back and forth, she was utterly bewitched by the sight of Jyoti, who swam through the air with such effortless grace that she could barely contain her envy. Trilling at Ronin as if it might be his fault that she couldn't do the same thing, she was wriggling in his arms as he moved to follow the starwhale, smiling as their little trek through the bakery led them to Amalia.

His smile was bright at first, though it faltered when he realised he was being scrutinised, however unintentionally. Feeling heat on his cheeks, Ronin glanced away and worried his bottom lip gently between his teeth. "Hi Amalia," he greeted her in return. "Uh... I mean... honestly, we were just amazed by how good everything in here smells. And then Sugar caught sight of your... um, your friend." He flashed a cheeky grin to Jyoti.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Beyond delighted to have found a friend, Jyoti hums and sings to Sugar, blissfully oblivious to the dragon's envy, pleased to be able to share the secret treasures of the store. Younger than the dragon, she is deeply impressed by creature's wings, her fangs and scales and entirely different form. She, in turn, is eager to be admired, to show off to this fascinating new friend and be seen as something cool. Leaving a trail of stardust behind her, Jyoti swims to the shrine in the front, stopping expectantly before moving to weave between the small statuettes, each deity honored in some slight way.

For her part, Amalia's eyes dart to Ronin's before falling away, a fresh flush rising to the girl's narrow cheeks as she catches the discomfort on his face. The embarrassment is quickly tinged with pleasure at his gentle compliment, and bemusement at it all. The baker reaches up to tug a lock of hair, wishing she could vanish beneath it and into the comfortable back of the shop. The mention of her friend relaxes the baker, bringing a smile to the bewildered face; she turns to look indulgently at the starwhale calf, laughing slightly as the child attempts to further charm the dragon. "Her name is Jyoti," Amalia replies, "And she is very interested in making friends. Sugar is gorgeous- I haven't seen many dragons before." Her voice is a little wistful, as though she is remembering a dream that will never come to pass.

Turning back to face Ronin, the gilded baker attempts to mend her previous mistakes. "The bakery isn't really open yet, um, but you're welcome to stay and wait. I've been meaning to take some things for Aoife-" And she stops again, once more unsure. She is fairly certain from Remi's clues that Aoife is Ronin's child, but the fact has never been confirmed.

Amalia & Jyoti
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Ronin eventually relented and released Sugar to go about her merry way with the young starwhale, though the dragon could not fly in the same slow grace that Jyoti managed. She was built for swooping and diving, and so it was with stuttered jumps up to the beams of the building that she followed after her. The shrine, at least, proved interesting, Sugar chirping her curiosity in a flash of sharp fangs.

Content that the two could amuse themselves, Ronin smiled and left them to it, giving his full attention back to Amalia. Awkward as it might be for the two of them. "Jyoti," he repeated, smiling at the whalesong that filled the bakery, interspersed with Sugar's various dragon noises. "She's beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a creature like her - ah, but don't let my persnickety dragon overhear that. She might be pretty but she's getting an attitude on her." He grinned, the affection clear in his tone.

His apology at coming into the bakery too early died on his lips at the mention of his daughter; Ronin seemed to light up from the inside, his smile softening. "Thank you," he said. "Remi mentioned you were making things that might help with her teething. I... well, I mean. If I were to pay you, could you teach me how to bake something similar?"

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia and Ronin may be ill at ease, but their bondeds, at least, see to feel no such qualms. Jyoti is delighted to show her new friend around, falling into comfortable companionship as they glide and wander through the shop. The baker watches with wistful fondness, wishing she could be so easily at ease. Turning back to Ronin, the girl nods her head, tacit acknowledgment and gratitude for his praise of the starlit calf. She cannot help return his grin, a flash of it upon her features as she thinks of the difficulties she already faces, being conjoined with a mythic child of her own.

But now they find some common ground, the absent Aoife acting as bridge between the distant strangers. Watching as the monster hunter seems to glow, Amalia finds herself smiling in turn, charmed by the man's clear affection for his child. How difficult it must have been, to be gone from her for any amount of time. She nods when he mentions her contribution, pushing hair behind her ear, awkward and pleased. "Is Remi with her now?" she wonders, a slightly speculative tone to her voice. She does not know the relationship between the men, only that the alchemist seems to see the starlit girl as a daughter, and that he spoke of the absent guildmaster with the pain of a lost love.

His request makes her laugh: gaily, not unkindly, surprised and taken aback. Shaking her head, the girl grins in earnest now, a light an easy smile on her face. "I do not know how it was in Northaven, but here a child belongs to us all." So her grandmother had always told her, the old woman more than willing to care for anyone's bairn. "Anything you need for Aoife, I am always happy to give. But I can show you some easy things, for home." She does not add another thing: that she does not want them to no longer need her, to make her redundant with newfound skills, take away all she has to contribute to this world.

Amalia & Jyoti
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Content enough that Jyoti and Sugar could amuse each other, Ronin gave his full attention over to Amalia in the hope that their continued conversation would successfully break the ice, so to speak. Aoife seemed to be the best topic for it, and Ronin was more than happy to speak about his daughter. He nodded to Amalia, wondering already what kind of trouble Remi was getting up to with Aoife in tow. "Yes, he is. We take it in turns to get up with her - this morning I got some time with Sugar instead."

Smiling fondly over his shoulder at the dragonling, his eyes widened a fraction at the news that she would teach him some basic recipes. "Thank you very much," he said cheerfully. "Don't get me wrong - I'm no baker myself. But if you can just teach me how not to burn a few things, I can get by in a pinch."

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"Anyone can learn- believe me. I did." Smiling encouragingly at the man, Amalia leans forward on the counter, leaning her chin on her hands. She aches and itches to know about his ressurection, how he rose back from the dead, but good sense holds her tongue. Their beginning was already rocky at best, and she dare not disturb their common ground, too nervous about putting her foot in her mouth to risk saying something wrong.

Tilting her head thoughtfully, Amalia hums to herself, sharp black eyes back on Ronin. "Were you wanting to learn bread or cakes? We can start with some simple focaccia today, or scones. What kind of flavors do you you like? Do you have a decent oven at home, or would you want to bring your dough here to cook?" Ah, there it is, the barrage of questions. Amalia's face is ardent and luminous as she once again forgets herself, her imagination working faster than her nerves.

Amalia & Jyoti
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
"I used to be a decent cook, though I was never much of a baker. How things change when you're cast into a different world." Ronin smirked to Amalia, standing on the other side of the counter like an eager student, ready to learn. "Cakes," he decided easily. "And I don't particularly mind the flavour, but shall we go for something sweet? That's sort of how I differentiate between cake and bread." Grinning, he rubbed at the back of his head, reminded suddenly of a different baker, a different bakery, another life.

Ruffling a hand forward through his hair as if to dislodge the memory, he was momentarily stunned to silence at the barrage of questions, recovering quickly as he was able. "Uhhhh... yeah, we have a decent oven in the guildhall. I should be able to bake there - but it might be nice to drop by sometimes and make something with you, as long as you don't mind." Company, Ronin was learning, was necessary to his sanity.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"I can't imagine." Ronin's smirk is met with a quiet response, the baker rubbing thoughtfully at her arm. She can't imagine- to be torn from ones home, lose who you love, die, and be reborn. She forgets, sometimes, that though her life has changed significantly, it is nothing next to theirs.

Amalia tilts her head as he expresses a desire for cake, a selection of recipes rolling through her mind. "How about honey cakes?" It is an old family favorite of the girl and her family, a recipe passed down through years of Chandrakant bakers. Relatively simple, aromatic and sweet, the resulting cakes are small and dense, easy enough to replicate. A shy smile comes to her lips, and she glances at the man. "Aoife might like them, too."

Oh, and when he invites himself to join in the future! A happy flush rises to the baker's cheeks, unbidden delight in her eyes. "Only if you bring your better half," she teases, though whether that means Aoife or Remi is unclear, left purposefully vague.

Reaching down below the counter, Amalia produces a navy apron and hands it to the man. She then secures her on white one, the delicately spun starwhale glittering on its front. Emboldened by his offer of friendship the baker rubs her hands, high cheeks pulled into a merry grin. "Shall we begin?"

Amalia & Jyoti
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
Ronin positively lit up at the idea of honey cakes, grinning broadly to Amalia and nodding. "I once helped to make some back in Northaven. Well, not make exactly, but I helped to get the honey from the bees." It had involved running full pelt down a riverbank away from an angry swarm, and he had been hungover to shit, but it had still been a laugh. "They were the best honey cakes I'd ever had up until that point - pretty sure that was because I'd nearly gotten stung to get them, though."

He was keen to make them himself, evidently, and sure - positive, even - that Amalia's would be even better than what he had tried before. A crooked grin spread across his face at the mention of his better half, and Ronin made a mental note to bring both Remi and Aoife along in future. His daughter, especially, would enjoy making a mess cakes. "You've got yourself a deal. Just tell me where you want me." Rolling up his sleeves and slipping on the apron, Ronin stood at attention, the perfect soldier... of cake.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
The idea of honey cakes is a hit, and Amalia reflects Ronin's smile, her grin a bit shier, marked by a blush. There is something disarming in his boyish nature, something which makes her want to relax, to set him at ease and work in quiet conversation.

And that is what she does. Amalia directs Ronin through her kitchen, straightforward and patient as she teaches him her trade. Honey and cinnamon, ginger and eggs: the Chandrakant recipe is rampant with spices, aromatic and golden beneath their skilled hands. As they work they laugh and smile, some of the lingering iciness melting away. Amalia does not blame him for the Spire, the monster, the things that happened after.

She does not have room to blame anyone but herself.

When the at last make it into the oven, the girl exhales her relief. She is characteristically a mess: flour on her hands, a streak across her cheek, strands long hair having escaped its confines to coil around her face. Leaning her elbows on the counter, Amalia regards Ronin with thoughtful black eyes, at last prepared to ask the question which has danced upon her tongue. "Why are you alive?" she questions, innocently curious, her voice clean of ill-intent.

Amalia & Jyoti