[SE] Playing with Fire
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
It had been a while since he’d found time to visit the old smith and his new apprentice at their forge. Not so long since he had seen said apprentice, thankfully, after the adventures in the woods. Caiside was hale and whole, and Jigano was still grateful that his friend and guildmate had come out of that misadventure without any real harm. They had many adventures still ahead of them, he hoped, and a great deal to do still!

But first they had earned a short break. A chance to do something lighthearted and for the simple joy of it, without the precious burden – and the stress, however willingly chosen - of others weighing on them. There was to be a party of some kind, Jigano had learned from the regulars in the Tavern, a party on midsummer night, and everyone was expected to procure a gift to bring.

He could have traded for something in the market, or wheedled an object from someone who owed him a favor. He could have offered a song or a story in someone’s honor as a gift, relying on his own commonly-known trade skills. But at the end of the day he had decided that he wanted to bring something more personal than that – but not too personal, as his midsummer’s gift for Rory was likely to be. Something he already had in mind, in fact, if he could borrow the materials from the artist’s guild… or perhaps… look up how to make them himself from a book in the Atheneum?

Ahhh, there was a challenge to get his heart beating faster with eagerness! But first, the gift for the public party, which he hadn’t much more than an inkling of. What he did have was a sack of ingots from his stash – one each of copper and silver – an appointment with his friend Caiside and a smile on his face as he knocked on the door to Old Smitty’s forge before poking his head inside curiously. ”Caiside? Are you here? I’ve brought some metal to work with,” he called, stepping all the way in and letting the door swing shut behind him.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Caiside had left the woods feeling renewed. It felt as if he had a focus back, stead of simply drifting along hoping to find answers. Now he had an idea of where to look, how to ask, and plans to make. But first, the more mundane things.

It was almost strange to be back at the forge, but it was work that he needed to do, and, if he was being honest, work that he had missed doing. There was even a treat waiting for him today, a meeting he was going to have with Jigano. Some... summer festival? He had missed the explanation of it, but knew enough about festivals to begin filling in the pieces on his own. Jigano had suggested they work on something forged together, and Caiside had agreed immediately, excited to spend time with his friend, and catch up in what he’d missed.

As it usually went when he worked though, Caiside found himself distracted when Jigano entered, not hearing the knock at the door, but recognizing the voice that echoed into the back of the shop where he’d been working. With a warm smile on his face, Caiside stride out from the back. His hair was up in an intricate knot, every piece pulled back tightly, and his normally ostentatious clothing was swapped out for a heavy apron and long, thick gloves.

”Jigano!” Caiside greeted the silver haired man warmly, stepping out from behind the counter to embrace him briefly. “It feels like so long since we’ve gotten to speak simply, doesn’t it?” All but pulling Jigano deeper into the shop, Caiside peered curiously at his sack, torn between catching up and wanting to see what the other man brought. Quickly, he decided on both, patting the counter to invite Jigano to show him the metal he’s brought, and leaning forward so he could chat. ”I didn’t think it would say this, but it’s nice to be back. At least, back in the company of people who will have a real conversation with me.”

Caiside
I have never been allowed to be Holy,
I have never been forgiven for Wanting;

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Caiside's hair was gorgeous in a way Jigano rarely found time to attempt with his own. Even in a style meant to be functional it was complex and stunning, and the bard took a moment to admire the shining red mass, making a mental note to ask his friend for some tips later. His own hair was pulled back in a simple tail, but that would hardly do for working around the forge, he realized ruefully. It was a sign of how out of practice he was that he hadn't thought of it earlier, but before he could reach up to rectify the situation his friend had stepped forward to claim in embrace.

Though he was becoming more used to such spontaneous displays of affection from his friends and found-family, he was still hesitant and a little awkward as he just barely managed to get in a pat to Caiside's shoulder before the other man was pulling away speaking the thoughts that had been on the bard's mind and earning a wry grin and a nod of agreement. "Far too long!" he echoed fervently. He let himself be pulled along, stifling a chuckle at his friend's eagerness. He was happy to oblige the smith's curiosity by depositing his sack with a grunt of effort and letting it fall open to reveal the ingots within.

"Oh?" he urged, deceptively mild though he arched a brow at the interesting admission. "Your hosts in the woods weren't great conversationalists?" It was still too near a thing to be completely at ease with, but he used teasing to deliberately keep the mood light as he reached back to begin braiding his own hair tightly back, and then coiling the braid into a neat bun he could keep tucked up out of the way while they worked. "And have you had a chance to think about what to make for your gift for the party? I admit, aside from wanting to do something in silver and copper I haven't quite decided on what shape mine will take yet."
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Caiside winced a little internally when he felt his stuff Jigano was in response to his embrace, but it was easy to breeze past, and more than likely more polite to not mention. No, it seemed best to focus on the heavy ingots the bard had just revealed, Caiaixes eyes going wide. ”You’ve been holding out on me!”He cried, a smile on his lips. ”And to think I’ve been working with scraps. Where did these come from?”Skill would take one far, but even skill couldn’t do much with poor materials.

”We spoke a great deal, but it felt as if I was missing a piece of the conversation the entire time.” Caiside cocked his head the memory of the sprites, his smile fighting and his eyes dipping down to look at himself as he remembered the golden dust, the rush of power, so close to what he lost. He was quiet for a moment longer, then looked up at Jigano, golden eyes slipping over the mans face to instead follow How hands, and the strands of silver hair. ”I do wish I’d asked different things of them. Perhaps I’d have come back with some useful information.” The words were followed with a laugh, Caiside stepping away from the dismal thoughts with a well practiced grace. This was hardly goif to be the thing to drag him down.

Honestly, Caiside barely understood what the festival was about, apart from having something to do with the sun. That one scrap was enough to give him an idea, a shallow one maybe, but if it was executed well then it would hardly matter. ”I had thought little charms could be nice? In the shape of the sun, of course, a polished so they reflect any light shone at them.” Caiside smiled, giving Jigano a moment to digest his idea, then continued. They would be like little sun scraps.”

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It wasn't that Jigano minded Caiside's physical affection, so much as that he was still unused to accepting it from anyone other then Rory. He was learning, however, and each lesson made it a little easier the next time it happened. "The same place the last ones did, when you made the guild's pins," he grinned back, offering the red-head a sly wink. "I don't have many trade goods of my own, so these are my secret weapon!"

"What were they like?" he asked curiously. "These invisible kidnappers of yours?" Had they saved Caiside? Or merely delayed the inevitable? Given that Amalia and Kiada had not, in fact, been killed or harmed it now seemed as though Caiside's disappearance with them served less purpose than initially considered. True, he hadn't been thrown in the pit... but what would have happened to him if he had tried to leave the sprites? Would they have turned on him, fickle and capricious in their whims? "Did you ever try to get them to lead you back to the edge of the woods? Or try to leave them? I'm curious if they would have let you..." Or had he been as captive as the rest, just less obviously so?

His friend's idea was a good one, and Jigano nodded enthusiastically. "I've had charms made before," he agreed with a grin. "Smitty is very good with the more delicate work of them. I think we only need to bring one gift each, though, to give to one person. But... perhaps a necklace with several stylized suns on it?" He looked around to find a spare smock and set of work gloves, going to put them on while they debated their projects for the day.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

Leaning on the counter and tapping his nails on the ingots Jigano had brought, Caiside considered how to answer his friend. In hindsight, much of his experience with the sprite would sound worrying, and worry was not an emotion he wanted to seed in this day. ”They were fast, and... did you have wisps on your world? Little forest spirits?” Caiside wasn’t sure how else to explain what he meant; if it wasn’t for the fact that fairies here seemed so different from what he knew, then he would have simply called them that and been done with it. ”They seemed like tricksters, but not malicious.”

The bards next question made Caiside avert his eyes sheepishly. ”I... have to be honest, the thought of asking them to bring me back never crossed my mind.” He could spew any number of excuses or reasons, that they were showing him things safely, that he was gathering intel, that he had been charmed, but well, the truth was... ”They knew what I am. What I was.” Hard as he tried, Caiside couldn’t keep his lips from turning up, a manically excited grin splitting his face. ”They said that I could return to that path, to my calling Jigano!” Caiside was certain the silver haired male would recognize the importance of that to him.

Pushing off the counter, Caiside pulled a set of gloves from behind the counter, handing them to Jigano and taking the pair the other man had grabbed back. The least he could do is as ensure the other man had a set of good gloves for the day’s work. ”I didn’t realize it wasn’t only one gift. I have rn actually heard much about the event.” Caiside admitted with a laugh. ”But if only one item is required... I think I’ll make a mirror.” He could see it in his minds eye now, a swirling handle, the points of the sun around the perimeter, and the face, polished to a near blinding shine. Perfect. ”What did you have in mind?”

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"I did," Jigano confirmed, worry sobering his expression as he considered the comparison. "Will-o-wisps, little balls of light, spirits of energy that would lead people deep into woods and swamps. They were absolutely malicious, though they tended to disguise their tricks as mere mischief until they managed to lure their target into quicksand or a sinkhole or bog and then it was too late." He had once been able to call dancing lights as well, a product of his kitsune heritage, and will-o-wisps held no charm or power over him, but the same could not be said for others, and children in particular tended to be tricked by them.

Fatally so, in far too many cases.

The bard was already frowning at that information before Caiside spoke again, and he raised a brow at the sheepish admission. That was almost more worrying, that the once-demigod had made no attempt to test the limits of his free will while in their grasp. "It sounds as though they held you charmed or fascinated," he murmured thoughtfully, not realizing how his thoughts were echoing his friend's excuses. He trusted in the other man's good sense - perhaps prematurely, though he did not yet realize it. "It was an ability I once had as well, though I never made use of it. It was..." He shivered a little, unconsciously scrubbing at his hands. "A magic with too great a temptation to abuse." He shook his head, then focused on Caiside again, blue eyes piercing. "Did they truly know, though? Or did they pluck the memory from your head and goad you with it?" With all the give and take of memories that seemed near-commonplace on Caido, it wasn't impossible to think that forest spirits might have that talent. "After all, we know the trees of the Wildwood can somehow pull the memories of where you want to go from your mind and prevent you from getting there. And the tulmhainar in the heart of the Woods feeds on memories." He raised a hand to forestall immediate argument, lips quirking. "I know how important it is to you, just... be careful, friend. Don't be so blinded by desire that you let yourself be manipulated by it." The last thing he wanted was to lose Caiside to the woods again, especially when they knew so little about the creatures who had apparently stolen the smith right from under the noses of Attuned and Fae alike. Maybe he could ask Eliza about them when next they met...

The replacement gloves were met with a sheepish grin, his original picks gladly traded for the better ones Caiside offered. "I don't have many details myself," Jigano admitted as he went to shovel charcoal into the forge and stoke up the fire. His movements were a little uncertain, clearly out of practice, but the muscle memory lingered even now, more than a decade after the last time he had helped his father in the forge. "Sun-themed gifts seem to be the way to go, though. I... don't really have anything in mind yet," he admitted with a slight grimace. "First I need to see how badly my skills have degraded over the years. Though I might use the idea of the sun necklace if I can't come up with something better by the time we start working the metal." Now he wished he'd brought one of the gold ingots after all, though he had far fewer of them. Still, copper was likely to be good enough, and he could make a decent chain from silver once he drew off a piece and rolled it into a stem, then coiled it around a bar to make links from. "I'm open to suggestion, though, if you have any other ideas!"
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

Caiside smiled, glad that the other man undersold what he meant, though the bright look quickly vanished, his lips twisting as he reached for the words to explain himself. ”I don’t think I was charmed. It leaves an imprint in your mind, an inkiness that’s easy to place once you know it’s cause.” At least it had on his world, but he didn’t entertain that thought too long, for fear worry and doubt would begin to creep in. He needed to be sure of this. ”Thw woods, even if they are not my woods... they feel like home.” He shook his head, knowing he would never be able to put the importance of this into words. ”i can’t turn my back on any chance to truly be myself again. But... I will be careful.” Caiside would be, for Jiganos sake, if nothing else.

The ease with which Jigano went to work surprised Caiside a little. There was a memory, maybe, of the bard saying he had worked in a forge before, but Caiside hadn’t been sure if that was fact or aomply something he made up. Taking up a place beside the other man, Caiside went to work with the bellows, stoking the flames to a white hot intensity that they could actually work with. He hummed, considering the other mans question while he worked. “Is this.... an anonymous gift exchange?” The idea changed a bit depending on if Jigano had someone in mind, though Caiside reasoned he probably would be asking for advice if he did. The silver haired man seemed the type to know exactly what he would get for someone specific. ”The necklace would make a fine gift, though I am perhaps... partial to jewellery.” Caiside laughed, and wiggles fingers where there would normally be rings in his fri nods direction. ”Perhaps... a representation of the sun from your world? A symbol of whomever ruled it?” It would be personal, but not too much so. It seemed like a perfect idea to him.

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"A good point," Jigano admitted, considering that mind-affecting magic rarely managed to be completely without evidence. Though, it was possible... but Caiside had his hopes pinned on this, and Jigano could only trust him to know what had really happened that day. The bard knew he was biased because the stag had been taken from beneath him, spirited away and leaving the white raven certain that something terrible had happened to his friend. Just because things had turned out well in the end didn't mean he had forgotten those hours and days of panic and fear. Still, if it was what his friend needed to pursue to be happy, he would do what he could to support him. "I understand," he said again, quietly. "Let me know if I can help in any way."

It had been a long, long time since he had been forced to help his father in the forge, and Jigano was more than a little rusty at the tasks, though the simpler ones came back to him with nostalgic swiftness. "I... don't think it is?" the bard answered tentatively as he looked over the tools available. "Or at least, I think people will know who brought which gift. Whether you give it to someone specific or not, though..." He shrugged a little helplessly. "It's my first Longheat party, too," he admitted, a tad sheepish. He had an idea for a personalized gift, but he wouldn't be giving that out at the party, preferring a more personalized setting for such things.

He grinned at Caiside's currently-ringless fingers, remembering the adornments that his friend usually wore. "Perhaps you'll end up with this, then!" he teased. "The sun on my world belongs to several deities, though. Sarenrae most of all, but Iomedae is also a goddess associated with it." He gave a shrug, then paused, eyes lighting with inspiration. "Sarenrae is known as 'the Dawnflower' though... Perhaps something to do with that..." He deftly slipped past Caiside to take up the 'grunt' work of the bellows in order to let his friend - and host! - make any other preparations they would need to begin melting and working the metal.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

The offer of support, however strained and quiet, meant the world to Caiside. He didn’t know how to express the feeling, not comfortably at least, and so hoped his grateful smile would do the trick. One day he really was going to have to repay Jigano for all he had done.

Something about making preparations for a party he was hearing about second hand made Caiside feel a bit strange, like an unwelcome guest. That wasn’t a thought that lasted long though, Caiside immediately rationalizing it away. ”Well, we did both spend the beginning of the season wandering around the woods. I imagine some gaps in our knowledge can be forgiven.” And a lack of knowledge was really only ever a temporary thing. ”You have to wonder if people would play favourites though.” Caiside laughed, trying to figure out who his gift would go to, if he got to pick.

Caiside smiled in relief when the silver haired man took over the bellows, stepping out of his way without hesitation. After so long working alone, or under supervision, it was nice to have another pair of hands to help with the busy work while he grabbed what they needed. Caiside kept an ear turned towards the bard though, his gathering pausing For a moment as Jigano described his gods. ”That’s a lovely name.” He hummed, dragging a pair of crumbles to the furnace, placing them and the ingots so they could warm up. ”The sun was one goddess on my world, Kiaren. Though the heat that came from her was represented by another, Melenos.” The second name was said with far more reverence than the first, the reason for it becoming clear as Caiside turned and clarified with a dmile: ”He was my father.”

pls don’t judge me for my lack of smithing knowledge I am trying

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The party didn’t precisely surprise Jigano – it seemed every season had its festival (except Deepfrost): Flowerbirth’s Fiat Lux honoring Rae and Frey, Longheat’s Midnight Party and offerings to Safrin, and Leafchange’s Festival of Light for Mort and Ludo. He had only overheard it from patrons speaking in the Rathskeller, however, and like Caiside had not exactly received a personal invitation… but if it was like Fiat Lux, that didn’t necessarily mean anything. And his friend had a good point, that they had missed the beginning of the season when they might normally have been more involved. ”Oh, probably,” Jigano agreed cheerfully to the comment on favoritism. ”Not much way around that. Obviously I’d prefer if what I make ends up going to one of my friends, but…” he gave a slight shrug. ”Ah well. We’ll sate our curiosity and know better what to expect in the future,” he decided with a wry grin for his friend as he set to work on the bellows.

The task was perfect for him, really. The large bellows didn’t take a lot of strength to pull, but it was a tiresome process that needed repeating off and on throughout the work, and one thing the slender bard had built up while frantically searching out scraps of information on the gods, the Spire, its demon, and now the Fae was a sturdy endurance that wasn’t easily worn down.

”She’s a lovely goddess,” Jigano agreed with a chuckle as he watched Caiside get things together and begin softening the ingots so they could be worked and divided between the two men. ”And a fierce one. Her mercy is almost endless… almost. She has a particular hatred of the undead, though, which I find myself in agreement with more often than not. Her light is particularly harmful to them.” Nasty things, ghouls and walking skeletons. He’d faced more than enough in his time, and had no wish to see them again in his new home. ”Hmm… that does give me an idea though…” he mused, eyes flashing with inspiration of his own for a moment before he turned his attention back on Caiside as the other man continued to speak. ”Melenos?” he tested the name, checking his pronunciation to make sure he had it right. ”No wonder you have a way with fire and forges, then,” the bard complimented with a smile. ”If your own soul was forged by the heat of the sun itself!” He worked the bellows again, keeping an eye on the metal as it heated through and adding more charcoal to keep the forge hot and fierce. In time, the dense bricks began to soften and glow. He raised a brow at his friend with a challenging grin, nodding to them and then the anvil. ”Shall we begin shaping our gifts?”
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

A tittering laughs left Caiside as Jigano agreed with him, pleased that they had the same thought regarding the festival, and learning the traditions of this place. The fact that they so often, and easily, saw eye to eye was one of Caisides favourite things about the bard. Even when they didn’t, it was for a good reason, one that Caiside could think on, and appreciate. It was a welcome change from others Caiside had been around before his divinity and power gave him the ability to handpick his companions.

This wasn’t the time for introspection though, Caiside focused on his friend as he shared more of his gods, and by extension, his world. It was strange how things could be so similar across worlds, and yet so different as well. ”It was the goddess of the moon who destroyed undead in my home.” He offered, not quite imagining the same monsters as Jigano, stiff black husks and and frozen damned coming to mind instead. ”Oh? Caiside inquired, his head tilting in a wordless request to hear about the inspiration that had gripped the bard so suddenly. It had to something good, considering the topic they were on, the smile on his face coaxing and quietly excited.

Jigano’s complimentary words only stoked Caisides ego, his chest quite literally puffing up with his smile. He knew logically he should be humble, but attention and praise were always something he needed to soak up, like a particularly pretentious flower. ”Few people say it so poetically as you.” His tone, and the smile on his lips became genuine, and appreciative for a moment, twisting back into something prideful as soon as his words left his mouth. ”My one regret is not getting the chance to meet him, before he was...” Caiside hesitated, clearly choosing his words very carefully. ”...before he became a casualty of the war. As always, thoughts of home brought a melancholy tone to the conversation, even his brightness from the compliment unable to fully return.

He returned the bards grin, then busied himself with the work, taking the raw material and splitting it between the two of them. Caiside worked with a quick precision, the metal coxed into the shape he wanted quickly. It was something that took focus, a fact that kept him quiet, at least for a little. He could never exist in silence when the potential for conversation was right there. ”You said you had experience in a forge, didn’t you? Did you miss it?” Most of Caisides reflective mood had passed as well, his worries worked into the metal, and a bright smile accompanied the words, his hands pausing as he turned to look at Jigano .

Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
It was a bit of a relief, Jigano had to admit, having a friend who understood much of where he came from - and who he was. Their specific circumstances and details might have differed, but in broad strokes their worlds had enough similarities that they could make sense of each other's pasts with little need to explain every small thing. And after Remi's casual displays of his animal shifts and insular confusion over why Jigano wouldn't want to flaunt his own abilities it was soothing to be with someone who was similarly cautious about exposing that part of himself.

Jigano tilted his head curiously at another little difference between their worlds, but again nothing so large as to make it hard to understand each other. "I admit, I'm rather partial to the moon," Jigano revealed with a wink for his friend. "The hair, of course, but also I was raised as my mother's son to respect the God of the Moon from her homeland. As Oracles we often negotiated between the mortal and the divine, as well as the living and the spirits, something He presided over. Later, when I came into more of my own powers as they differed from hers I felt a kinship with the god Thoth as well, a southern god of knowledge who also took the moon as his domain."

But this festival was about the sun and fire and light, and what better way to bring light into dark places than with: "A lantern!" the bard revealed with a grin. "Hammered sheets of copper for the sides with excised sun and flower designs to let the light through. Set it in a copper base and cap for sturdiness with a silver plate finish on top and bottom for style and shine." Ambitious, to say the least, and he might need Caiside's help for shaping said base and cap, but he bet he could still manage to hammer the copper sides into thin sheets and cut the designs from it with a jeweler's saw. In fact, if he plated silver to the inside of the copper sheets they would be even more reflective, though they'd need to have the smoke residue from the candle cleaned from them regularly. So, sliding panels for easier polishing, then...

Afire with inspiration, his tongue offered playful compliments while he listened intently to his friend when he spoke of his parentage, remembering earlier conversations of the demigod's foster father and never getting to meet his real one. "I am sorry for that," the bard offered sincerely in the face of the smith's loss. There seemed to be little else he could say without prying open lost memories that this didn't seem to be the time or place for. How Melenos had died, and who had slain him, and how Caiside had learned of what he was... Perhaps conversation to be had on a quiet night with a significant amount of wine, during the Leafchange festival of the lost.

They worked quietly for a little while, Jigano struggling far more than Caiside as he sought to remember childhood lessons he had done his best to avoid. Heating the silver and copper together into fused plate and then hammering out the thin sheets to become the lantern's sides was, as he'd suspected, the easiest part. Fighting to plate and then shape the components for the lantern's base and top that would later be soldered together was nearly impossible for him, and he was grateful for Caiside's interruption as he gave up on them for the moment to begin cutting his thin sheets into matching smooth-sided rectangles. "My father was a smith," he said wryly, remembering the conversation of their first meeting. "Hence my last name: Silversmith. He wanted me to follow his footsteps and take over the forge someday. Torch was swimming in smiths, though, because of the blue fire at the town's center that allowed for the shaping of rare starmetals. And I lacked the strength for it, more my mother's son than his. Still, he taught me what he could force through my rebellious head, and I helped him at his work until I was eighteen. The last time I touched a forge was ten years ago, though, and I am pathetically out of practice." He nodded ruefully to his lumpy attempts at the side, awaiting reheating and another attempt to shape them. "When you finish your mirror I would be grateful for a hand with these! I think I can sort the top out if I keep trying, but the bottom is too finicky for my rusted skills, I'm afraid." Not unless he used far more material than was necessary to just solder squares of metal together to construct it, which he would do if he had to, but he hated to be so wasteful when good metal was so rare.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

Caiside was already working to stifle a smile at Jigano’s ‘confession’, The news that he was partial to the moon not coming at all as a surprise to Caiside, but it was the wink that set him off, a handful of bright chuckles escaping him. He managed to train them in so he could listen to more of Jigano’s world, especially interested in the gods. ”It’s strange to me that your Gods can share... domains.” He admitted, certain that he wasn’t imagining domains the same as what the other man meant. ”I would love to hear more. Perhaps not now, but... soon. Stories about gods have always been my favourite.” The last part was punctuated by a self satisfied smile and a cheesy wink.

It was strange to imagine Jigano as the kind of person he would have been back on his home. All Caiside has to paint the picture in his mind was the assurance that he’d changed since coming here, and the few stories he’d now been told. Not that he was imagining anything too different, just enough to wonder if they would have still become friends.

Jugano’s idea sounded wonderful, Caiside excitedly clapping his approval. ”That sounds perfect!” He exclaimed, impressed at how complicated a project it seemed as well. The silver haired man had to have been fairly good at the forge  back when he used to practice to consider it, especially if he was thinking about doing it right.

The sincerity of Jigano’s apology made Caiside squirm uncomfortably. It wasn’t something he deserved, though rationally he knew it wasn’t something Jigano would know. It was something he would have to bring up eventually, Caiside knew that, but this was not that time. So instead, he simply smiled, a little tighter lipped than he would normally, and responded, trying to keep an easy tone in his voice. ”It’s not something that can be helped. And I never truly knew him anyway.” He laughed, softly and sadly, and shook his head. ”It’s strange how loss works, isn’t it? There’s people I lost who I would give nearly anything to have back, but my father isn’t among them.” With a sigh, Caiside pulled a real smile back to his lips, the ending of this particular conversation clear.

”Silversmith...” Caiside repeated wryly, shaking his head at his own dimness. ”I suppose I could have figured that out myself.” He felt a little stab of jealousy at the wonder Jigano had grown up with, a forge that could shape starmetal sounded like something magical, something he would have liked to try his skills with. ”You know, I think I would have been far more interested in learning if I had been close to something like that, I would have been more interested. There was... very little where I grew up.” Caiside laughed. ”The things I made most commonly were nails. People were always trying to fix things, to fight against the forest reclaiming them.” Thiugh he didn’t look up, hands and tools shaping a delicate swirl decorating the back of the mirror, it was clear he was rolling his eyes. ”Actually... looks f I’m being honest, I probably wouldn’t have listened to my instructions even with something interesting to hold my attention.”

Caiside looked up as Jigano mentioned his work, an unfortunate grimace spreading over his features immediately. It wasn’t poorly done, but it was very clear that the other man had not been around metal in some time. ”Of course, give me just a moment.” Caiside finished the work he was doing with his mirror and set it downcareful to not put any strain on the face of it. The more perfect he could keep it now, the less work he would have when it came to polishing it. Caiside looked over what the other man had first, then fit the pieces together, soldering them together after the other man had given his approval. Caiside would never claim to be a teacher, or even someone who liked to teach, but he kept his hands slow here, so Jigano could keep an eye on his hands, and perhaps repeat ha actions for the top of his lantern. ”It looks like it’s shapig up nicely.” He smiled, setting the finished bottom do for Jigano to take when he was ready and wandering back to where he had been working himself.

Caiside