The ABCs
For Sorrel
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
S
A
M
U
E
L
The book of love is long and boring
The smell of drying ink coming from the page before him was immensely satisfying to Sam as he doodled twinging green leaves around the edge of his work, the last page of the first myth of his collection. Vines were a good general sort of decoration, he thought. Perhaps he could pretend it meant something deeper, life and a happy ending, but...really, he knew how to draw vines and they looked alright as a border.

He found himself actually in quite good spirits. It had been an...odd month, but things were settled now. Having proven himself to be brave by going off with Jigano into the woods, even though it turned out rather benign, he was proud of himself and felt justified in taking some days to simply work and be quiet, drink lots of tea and read whatever he liked.

In fact, he was in such a good mood that as he shuffled through his papers for the next myth he was to begin work on, he began to hum, a little tune from Fiat Lux. It was early morning in the Atheneum, not the sort of time it was busy, so he was not too guilty about bothering anyone elses reading time.

"A-a-and a barley corn for me..." Sam sang softly under his breath, pausing to lick his fingers to turn the page, completely wrapped up in his work and oblivious to the outside world.

No one can lift the damn thing
Sorrel Acetum

Age: 38 | Height: 5'9 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship:
Level: 0 - Strg: 8 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 7 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Dutch Offline
Change author:
Sorrel
We’ve been dreaming but who can deny,
It’s the best way of living,
Between the truth and the lie.

Sorrel didn’t spend much time in libraries, historically. Though technically the Athenum wasn’t merely a library.

She wasn’t entirely sure why she’d decided to break the habit of a lifetime, except that she needed information. Had accepted that this was her home now and, in the midst of upheaval, she might as well try to make a go of it. Maybe learn something useful - to her or someone else.

This would, she decided, after discarding the third or fourth book she’d cracked open, be a lot easier if she could read. More than her own name, at least. The books scattered around her could be about mushroom farming for all she knew; she’d picked those with weighty spines and possibly esoteric front cover designs, and been rewarded with page after page of text.

She picked up another and skimmed through the pages.

“Not one drawing,” she sighed. “Not even rude ones.”

Sorrel readied herself to fling, dramatically, onto a nearby chair, when the faint sound of singing reached her ears. No song she knew - nor a familiar voice. She clutched the book between her hands and stepped, softly, towards the source. Tome wielded like a weapon before her, though she couldn’t imagine what danger might lie in a library. And sing.

Weren’t these places normally quiet? She thought, as she caught sight of the man responsible for the singing at his desk. He looked slight from a distance, his hair the only defining feature she could make out.

Sorrel watched him, brows drawn in curious consideration, until he licked his fingers, turned a page and appeared poised to draw on the papers before him.

Sorrel stood up straight and, without thinking, announced her presence.

“I don’t think you're meant to draw in the books.”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
A voice coming from behind him made Sam stop his song, sit up straight and turn around to see who had spoken - as bizarre as it was, as much as he knew he had the authority here, he almost apologised. It was just inherent in him, the desire to make everyone happy and let them know he was willing to submit, to lay down and accept, but he reminded himself last minute he was perfectly allowed to draw in this book.

Besides, this woman wasn't anyone important to the Atheneum, or he would have met her before.

"I can draw in these books, because I am making it." He explained, pointing to the page - upon closer inspection it would clearly be seen as unfinished. "I am part of the Loreseekers..? Are you here to find them, or just to look for a book..?" Sam doubted anyone who held a book like that had a great respect for knowledge, but he wanted to give Sorrel the benefit of the doubt for the moment.

Sorrel Acetum

Change author:
Sorrel

Sam looked nervous, like she’d caught him doing what he oughtn’t. Though looking at him, his nervousness, she suspected he maybe wasn’t the type to get up to what he shouldn’t in a public space.

Well, that was...a reasonable explanation, she thought. Books did have to be made by people. Even if she’d never seen it done, or known anyone who could write. Writing or drawing on pages would be be involved in the creation of such tomes as the ones surrounding them. She was curious, actually, to see how one went about doing such work - and she crept a little closer, trying to peek over his arms to see what he was doing.

“The Loreseekers…?” She repeated the title, tasting the syllables and racking her brain for any glimmer of recognition as she drew near. She got none.

Another new thing for her to learn about, it seemed. Though this one sounded...potentially useful.

“I am seeking lore, I suppose,” Sorrel mused aloud, thoughts on the gaps in her knowledge about...well. Everything.

She gave him her best charming smile and held up the book she was wielding as an example. Hoped it wasn’t too obvious she had no idea what information it held, and fixed Sam with an expectant look.

“I’m trying to learn more about...well, everything. Starting with with your plants.”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
As Sorrel repeated 'The Loreseekers', her slightly odd accent awkward and unsure around the syllables, Sam immediately clocked her for an Outlander. Not that the guild was famous particularly, but a Natural would scoff, dismiss the new guild almost on principle of not being a part of the tradition of the Atheneum. This woman did not seem the sort who would be afraid of speaking her mind, if she felt that way.

He didn't move to hide the book he was working on as Sorrel came closer to look, though he did feel a conscious heat rise up his face; if he still had blood he would have blushed. He did not like being watched while he worked, and so he placed his pen down, making it clear he would not be making a spectacle of his skills.

The book she was holding, once held up, revealed itself to be 'A historical guide to the use of local flora for producing cosmetics'. Interesting, to be sure, but not the most welcoming first introduction to the plants of the area. "Well, I could find you a few books on plants, if you like. Are you a herbologist? My sister makes a lot of potions from plants..." His voice trailed off a little, his tone strained at the thought of Evie.

Sorrel Acetum

Change author:
Sorrel

As Sam put his pen down, Sorrel couldn’t help pouting a little. Always disappointed when her curiosity had to go unsated. But then, she guessed she wouldn’t be too keen on someone watching her make one of her concoctions either.

His offer surprised her - she honestly had expected him to direct her to some dusty section of the bookshelves and leave her to flounder among identical leatherbound spines. She nodded, placing the book carefully aside, given it was clearly no use to her.

“That’s most generous of you,” she said, letting only a small amount of surprise colour her words, “I was an apothecarist back home but…”

She smiled tightly, gestured around herself.

“A foreigner here. I might as well make daisy-chains here for all the use my potions would be. If you’d be so kind, I’d appreciate the help.”

She studied him. Something familiar about him, and caught for a second on his hair. Sorrel wondered if maybe she’d bumped into him before, during the chaos and upheaval of adjusting to her new home. The feeling lingered, went nowhere, so she shook it off and smiled brightly.

”Your sister makes potions then? She wouldn’t happen to be about this tall - “ she gestures, approximately at her own shoulder, “ with copper hair like yours?”

Sorrel politely doesn’t mention the dour temperament that Sam certainly doesn’t seem to share. He probably wouldn’t appreciate a treatise on why and how she managed to offend his sibling in under an hour.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
S
A
M
U
E
L
"An apothecarist? Ah. I think..that might be what Evie was calling herself.." He mumbled to himself, tapping his chin. Sam had never kept up that closely with Evie's life and even though he had been to her store recently, he did not quite remember what it was called.

The sudden motion of hugging herself, the doubt of her abilities...Sam felt himself soften a little towards the woman, tried to give his best reassuring smile (though as with most of his expressions, it still managed to look nervous and uncomfortable) as he guided her to the west side of the Atheneum, where books on plants were generally gathered.

"Oh, um. Yes...? You know Evie?" He asked as he turned around the corner of the shelves, trying to look like he was busy finding the books, but really he knew exactly where he was going. Really, Sam just didn't want to look Sorrel in the eyes in case it turned out she was a friend of his sisters, because that never went well. "A lot of people don't guess that we're siblings, I suppose because we're rather different."

Reaching the end of the shelf he tapped a book and finally turned to look at her, though if Sorrel was observant she would notice he was actually determinedly staring at her left ear. "Starting here, there's three or so shelves of Botany. I'm sure there's more somewhere but...it's not always very neat in here."