Awakening
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
You stare at the broken mirror
Shattered reflections of the past
I think we may be standing in the same
Shadows that have been cast
The Launceleyn's had remained sedentary far to long. It was time to rise and take what was theirs.

The barrier had fallen, in no small part to Zariah's sacrifices, the lightning strike scar that wrapped around her shoulder was visible proof of it. She had done enough watching though to see the powers that were at play here and frankly...she was unimpressed. Gods, thwarted by a mage who simply grew too powerful for them to stop? Gods, so easily blindsided by one of their own creations? What made them Gods if they could not even kill a pesky thorn in their side? And that pesky thorn...just a mage who had reached the epitome of their power and used it to transcend mortality...then managed to trip over their own feet and be trapped in an oversized knitting needle. What mistake had they made - pride? Greed? Idiocy? Perhaps all of it. This was a giant, roiling pot of hot mess fueled by oversight and egos...and it was just the sort of thing she could take advantage of.

So she called a family meeting. Well. She called a meeting with Edrei. She was the only other adult left at the moment, the whereabouts of Neron still being unclear given they had long since stopped looking for Loren. He was either dead or uninterested in being found. But despite all of Edrei's flaws, all her immaturity, her impulsiveness, Zariah knew she could count on her to carry out family business with pride and precision. So she waited for her, sitting in her favorite chair, the room only dimly lit with candles. This was the start of their ascension, her way. Their awakening.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
edrei launceleyn
The summons made Edy's bones itch just as surely as it had done as a child. Zariah was no Colbrande, but that didn't mean she was in any way less deadly. Already the head had exercised her considerable power on the not-teenager, and though Edy would likely always be one to test boundaries, as it was, there were certain boundaries of Zariah's that she'd demarcated quite clearly.

And so, with little bounce in her step and with none of her normal sarcasm and mischievousness apparent on her face, Edy returned home to the town home the Launceleyns were currently occupying.  Distantly Edy wondered if B would be at this meeting. She was young yes, but all members of the family had to grown up quickly, and with so few of them remaining Edy wouldn't be surprised if her younger counterpart was in attendance as well.

"Zariah?" Edy called, opening and closing the door quietly behind her. Bobi remained at her heel, the normally curious bobcat now staying quite close as tension and curiosity coursed through their shared bond.
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
As anticipated, Edrei was quick to arrive. Prompt in fact. A slight smirk curved her lips, barely noticeable, a ghost of emotion on the blank canvas of her face. No matter how far they went, no matter how few their numbers grew, no matter how much around them changed they would always be Launceleyn. It was not something they could run from. It was not something they could hide from. It was them. Their essence, their souls, a way of existing that had been bred into them over centuries and was enforced with strict upbringing. String put it too lightly, but you would not catch any of them discussing so opening exactly the methods employed to shape them.

"Edrei." she said quietly, gesturing for her to stand before her, then clasping her her hands over her crossed knee. For a moment she merely stared at her, considering her, waiting to see if she would show weakness. But it was also a test, the first she had in a long time. Zariah did not invite her to sit. She did not invite her to speak. Did she remember just how their hierarchy worked? How rigid they were to be to earn the affection and care of their familial leader? Or in these months of freedom - for even in a bubble Edrei had been gifted more freedoms here than ever in Northwind - softened her? Bobi may as well not have been there for how much attention the family head paid the bobcat.

But at length, Zariah finally spoke. "It is time we took our rightful place here. We've waited and I, at least, have watched. The people here are weak. Their gods have limits. And for once, we are not bound to a spoilt brat of a king." she said, her voice low and smooth as velvet. For all her sharp edges, Zariah did know how to turn on charm when she wished it - a dark charm, but a charm nonetheless. "Tell me, Edrei, how would history have been different had Artorious Launceleyn not bound himself and his family to the rule of the first King Claudius of Northwind?" she asked, tilting her head slightly to see where her mind might go, what conclusions she would come to.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
edrei launceleyn
With the ease of long instilled teachings, Edy did as she was told. Any who witnessed the event might have thought that magic was involved, for surely the outspoken and fiery girl could not be so subdued with a word and a glance.

But weakness had nothing to do with it. Order, understanding, respect, it was what had made the Launceleyns the formidable force they were. It was the bedrock upon which their dynasty had been built. That, and being some of the strongest magic users around. And so, wordlessly Edrei did as she was silently instructed, moving to stand before Zariah. Bowing to the head not as Edy might have once done to the princesses or princes at home, but deeper and with less showmanship, Edy straightened and waited.

As Zariah spoke Edy's face was a mask, at least until the curse was mentioned, at which point her lips twitched slightly with a curious mixture of amusement and hatred. The question posed to her though received almost no consideration on the part of the Launceleyn-younger. "The crown would have fallen immediately." She replied, voice confident but without any of its usual pep. "Others might have tried to take the place that we held, but history has never seen a family like ours. To try and replicate our efforts would have been impossible."
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah was pleased with Edrei’s reaction. For all her fire, for all her boisterousness, Edrei truly was a Launceleyn at heart – and that was where it mattered. ”I am glad to see you have not forgotten who you are.” she said, almost gently, on the verge of lovingly; for Zariah did love her family dearly in her own twisted way. But she was the Head of the family. She could not simply love them, she had to lead them, nurture them, shape them to be what they were intended to be and sometimes that came with punishment. Edrei had learned that lesson, and she was a stronger person for it.

Her answer was equally pleasing. ”I am glad to see we are of the same mind on history. But looking back will only help us so much.” she said, watching her closely. ”We are going to conquer and rule this place. The Hollowed Grounds are naught but a leaderless wasteland full of weaklings and cowards, fooled into submission by gods who have forsaken them.” she said with a small smirk. The Head of the Launceleyns let that hang in the air for a moment. ”Us two are not enough, and Beatrix and Jace yet too young to accomplish much. We must rebuild, so I will be scouting for someone we can use. I expect you to make whoever that is feel welcome.” she said as she stood, walking over to a window and looking out at the street, almost absentmindedly.

”We must be quick and decisive, which may mean getting blood on our hands. I can count on you not to falter, correct?” she said, glancing at the younger woman out of the side of her eye.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edrei launceleyn
The heart of Edrei was a needy and lonely girl; a girl stronger than her peers who constantly strove to better those around her as a child. Her family. After coming to Northaven however and having all those she wanted desperately to be accepted by tear her down (Neron who chose Zariah over her, Loren who abused her and then tolerated her at best, Mari who liked her but was a family outcast, and Zariah who had knocked her unconscious), and so though Zariah's tone was like warmed honey to her ears, Edy stood tall and silent.

As Z mentioned ruling this place, Edy couldn't help the way her lips twitched into a smirk and a fire burned in her eyes. Though she tried to rein it back half heartedly her stomach flopped happily in a way that others might experience when falling in love. Though she'd not contradict the head, she thought Bea showed exceptional promise despite her age. However the idea that she'd have to make someone new feel welcome make Edy bristle. Had anyone made her feel welcome? Loren had destroyed his own apartment to get away from her hug and Zariah had hardly even known she was coming. Clenching her teeth and watching the slender woman walk towards the window, Edy exhaled a steady stream through her nose in an effort to keep calm.

With a snort at the mention of blood, Edy nodded. "Correct." She agreed with a grin.

"But...this place is not Northwind nor Northaven. We are bound by nothing now.." Edy's voice trailed off as she turned to face Zariah. "Except you."
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah watched the slight set of her jaw, heard the way Edrei exhaled with purpose. She wasn't surprised that something she had said upset her - they had history, albeit a short one. That it came after mentioning recruiting new members was equally unsurprising. They as a family were notoriously picky and reclusive, that any might just be adopted in was nearly unheard of. If she was honest with herself, the idea was a bit revolting, but she was in no position to be sensitive to personal distaste. They needed skilled arms, they needed support. In time, Edrei would understand this, she was certain of it.

"I am aware, and in so knowing that you yet remain here, at my side, speaks volumes. When the nephews of Colbrande himself fled or revolted against our ways you remained, steadfast; a testament to the strength of your will. You might not fully understand the why of all our ways but you believe in our cause and trust in me." she said, turning back to Edrei as she spoke, her mention of their broken oath now resting on her shoulders ringing true. Zariah was all that held the strings that bound what little of their family was left. With deliberate steps she approached the younger woman, stopping only when they stood toe-to-toe, their matched height leaving them perfectly eye-to-eye, Zariah far too close, beyond the boundaries of personal space. "And I will not fail you. You are all I have left, Edrei, and I could not ask for better. It is why I would have you as my Left Hand." she said quietly, voice hardly above a whisper as she held her gaze. To most, the Right Hand would seem a higher position, but not so for the Launceleyn. The left hand was symbolic, it was the side from which magic reigned, the ultimate pursuit of which the family obsessed. The Right Hand only wielded status; the Left Hand wielded status and power.

"But I must know that there is no ill will or wounds between us. If you have grievances to air, I would hear them." A rare opportunity, an open platform on which to speak of whatever angered her without the risk of rebuke.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edrei launceleyn
Belief in the cause and trust in Zariah? Or brainwashing and deep, deep, Stockholm syndrome?

ehhhhhhhhh what did it matter now anyways.

However as Zariah approached, Edrei took a deep breath. She wouldn't flinch and she wouldn't cower, but she'd be a fool not to prepare her body for the bright shocks of pain that the head was sure to bestow upon her. She'd have time later, bound up in bed with her body aching to figure out what it was she had done or said wrong. Only this time there wouldn't be Loren there to help her lick her wounds.

And then Zariah spoke and it would leave Edy to reel for far longer than it had ever taken her body to heal. The words were of the flavour that the not-teenager had never tasted before, let alone given mouthfuls of. For a moment her dark eyes locked onto Zariah's. Out of her peripheral vision she tried to take in the thin and perfect doll-like lips to catch sight of a sneer. But there was none.

Eyes refocusing as the head spoke again, Edrei considered carefully. An open platform to many, was an opportunity to speak openly. Not so with the Launceleyns. Edy had pushed this specific set of boundaries once before and though she did not precisely think that Zariah was leading her into a trap, she did think that if she proved she could not learn from her mistakes, Z would likely remove her blessed words immediately.

Still, Edy couldn't help but grin, all sorts of lascivious questions bursting on her tongue. "Nahh." Edrei said, her usual crassness coming through, before she cleared her throat and shook her head. "You have acted as I always thought you would Zariah. You don't fault the knife for cutting you because you were stupid enough to see how sharp it was. "
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
As Edrei answered, taking her opportunity to speak openly and casting it aside, blaming any potential rift between them on her own actions - Zariah could not help the slow grin that curved her lips. She reached out and gently ran her knuckles across Edrei's cheek and down her jaw, stopping to hold her chin between soft fingers. "So much of you has changed, and yet you remain ever the same. It is beautiful, seeing your potential blossom so vibrantly." she said. Whether the opportunity had been a test or sincere, Edrei had played her cards right.

The Head studied her for a few moments more before releasing her face. "Then your new station begins immediately. As new members join, take comfort that none will ever be so dear to me as you." she said, near lovingly. Of course, there were her children who probably took some precedence - but that was a personal matter. This was family business, and the family business always came first.

"As my Left Hand, where might you suggest we start first? What gossip have you heard at your bar we might use for our gain?" she asked.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edrei launceleyn
Like a feral creature that has been fed raw meat and is now being pet, Edy endured the touch if only for the promise of more meat that it held. It was not that she didn't enjoy it—physical affection was Edy's favourite kind—but she knew well enough to remain tempered around Zariah. She could not, for instance, place her hand over Z's and lean her chin into it. Or worse even, to reach across and mirror Zariah's movements.

However Edy could only remain still for so long, she wasn't nearly so disciplined as Zariah was, that the unexpected compliment made her smile and her cheeks flush far more than she would have liked to admit, or would have predicted. Edy had never been the favourite, always the outcast. She was a necessary evil, a powerhouse that could be wielded often enough that she was kept around. But dear to anyone? A favourite among many? Never.

And it showed.

"There will only ever be you." Edy vowed, biting down on her stupid grin and clearing her throat.

Inhaling thoughtfully as they moved back to business, Edy wrapped an arm around her waist and paused to think. "It is hard to know what's useful given how often folks seem to just appear. I met a knight once who seemed interesting, but I haven't seen him since. There's Jigano, that one with the long white hair. He's by far the least stupid out of those I've met. Other than that, some petty thieves and whatnot, but Remi is the only one with any real power that I've seen. He and Ronin, really, though I haven't heard much about how Ronin managed to come back from the dead." Tapping her fingers against her waist, the younger Launceleyn shrugged. "Then there's that Rory fucker with all his farmer pals. They definitely won't be pleased about us being here in any prominent way." Though the smirk on Edy's features very much suggested that she did not give one fuck about that at all.
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah was slow to smile, slow to warm, slow to give affection. It had turned away many a man (save Neron, who had found the puzzle of unravelling her thrilling rather than irritating) and left her with few friends to speak of. But she did know how to give it, she did feel deeply and strongly underneath layers of ice and fire. Edrei had played the game and lost with her before, but her staying power did make her dear to the family Head. She was a Launceleyn to her core, and that was what mattered most.

The smile Edrei gave her made it clear that her compliment was not only deserved but well needed, which warmed Zariah to her in a way. Edrei had a taste of her affection, and she trusted she would work to have more of it. ”And I will make certain you want for naught.” Zariah said, her voice caught somewhere between a protective coo and a sultry drawl.

Zariah listened quietly as Edrei gave her report, nodding here and there to make clear her attention was focused on the younger woman’s words. ”Indeed, Remi is an intriguing anomaly. He was the one Loren had been seeing behind our backs apparently…which makes me wonder about his usefulness to us.” Zariah said, pondering allowed. ”That Loren could play him so well makes me think it would not be difficult to…convince him to aid us.” she said with a smirk, gaze darkening slightly. Some convinced with words. But not Zariah. Edrei mentioned Rory and the farmers and she rolled her eyes, clearly not concerned. ”Rory and his merry band of protesters will be easy to take care of. They are weak, and will die if they think I value their lives as Roana did.” she said with a shrug, as if not having just suggested massacring the masses.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edrei launceleyn
Edy had to swiftly bite the inside of her lip and glance away to keep her more passionate nature from bursting through. And I will make certain you want for naught. So many ways to reply to that, all of them singing on her tongue. But now it was not necessarily rigid orders and brainwashing that still the younger Launceleyn, but something like pride. Before she was merely obeying Zariah. Now, she wanted to make her proud.

"Play him? You mean, appear to be something other than the narcissistic uptight martyr-wanna be that he actually was?" Edy scoffed, unable to help herself. Loren had well and truly hurt the girl in so many ways, both mental, emotional, and physical. "Yeah well. I haven't seen Rory do much of anything since he played hero during LongNight, so." Shrugging, she crossed her arms, seemingly not noticing or minding the idea of a mass genocide.

"There was this one guy...he had something he called a gun. This metal thing you could hold in your hand. And it shot these small pieces of lead, but really fucking fast. Like fast enough to go right the fuck through you and out the other side. If we could figure out how it worked..or you know, just take his, that could be pretty useful."
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah smirked at Edrei's unkind but terribly accurate portrayal of Loren. "I suppose, unless Remi makes a habit of picking up strays, thinking he can 'fix them' like a fool. But I suspect there is more to it than that. Loren wished to prove he was not so useless as he was. I doubt he would have spent much time with the alchemist if he did not possess something Loren thought he could manipulate to his benefit." she said, still amused by Edrei's description. Narcissistic, uptight, martyr-wanna-be. She could distinctly hear in her mind Neron's laughter, snickering at his lesser-twin's expense without remorse. How terribly she missed him.

"That is because he, like every other Natural swine here, has been living in his own shit and calling it 'culture'. Then when someone comes to clean up their pen, they all get their curly pigtails in a bunch as if they'd been planning to get their act together all along." Zariah snipped, not at Edrei, more so at the subject. Her distaste for the Natural creed was tangible. They were almost worse than those without magic frankly. "We will show them what real culture is. We will teach them order. And if they cannot learn, they will be put down so as not to taint the whole herd with their disease."

Zariah wasn't sure what this 'gun' thing was, but she tilted her head to the side in curiosity. It sounded like quite the powerful magical item, one that could be useful particularly to those who had yet to fully harness their magical abilities. "I will figure out how useful the alchemist actually is...you procure the gun for us by any means necessary." Zariah, splitting the tasks between them.
ZARIAH

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
edrei launceleyn
For a moment Edy thought to ask whether or not Zariah thought Loren would ever resurface, but then decided she didn't want to hear the answer.

"Well said." The younger Launceleyn agreed, always surprised by just how biting and sharp Zariah's tongue could be when she wanted it to be. Edy's tongue was like a blunt edge, crude and mildly effective. Zariah's was a well-honed blade.

"Got it." Edy said with a nod, wondering how best to get the gun away from Adam. Magically she could overpower him...but she also sort of thought she might be able to get him drunk enough and take it that way as well...

hmmmm...

With a last nod to the head, Edy departed back to the Rathskeller to begin formulating her plans.
hard pass

Coding base by Sky!