[SE][OPEN] Basking in the Sun
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Since starting the college, Phoebe found herself busy. Very busy. Which frankly, was exactly how she wanted to be. It meant she had little time for her mind to wander off to places it ought not; or at least places she would rather it not. When she wasn’t keeping up the building or working on collecting necessary materials for its function or recruiting new minds to join she was working on her own midwifery practice or spending time with Emmett and his siblings. Really, her life was very full, and it was a blessing.

Now was no different, even as she sat near the Oasis, she was multitasking. As she sat on a blanket carefully documenting everything she knew about the medicinal properties of various plants (which she would eventually craft into a book useful for the school library) she also kept an eye on her basket. It was sitting in a nice patch of sun – catching it so to speak – and every now and then she would shift it slightly or tilt it with a rock to absorb the most amount of sunlight as it moved across the sky.
I look up to the little bird
The flies across the sky
And I, I wish that I could be that bird
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

CAISIDE
Caiside had found himself with too much energy vibrating in his limbs and not enough tasks to work it off. There was a dozen other things he could spend his time on, but the day outside and the warmth of the world had convinced him to make a visit to the shrine instead. He had a basket filled with offerings, sweet cakes and fresh berries, he was prepared with words, and yet, when he’d knelt, nothing came to him. He sat, silently, uselessly, staring around at the glade around him. This wasn’t worth it. With a sigh, he’d gathered his things back up, then wandered warnings the glade, hoping to make something of the trip.

It seemed it was his lucky day, and he wasn’t the only one who had opted for a day out. A girl he didn’t recognize, but who he approached anyway was sitting on a blanket, soaking up the sun and writing something. She had a basket, wasn’t the first person he’d seen with one, but was the first one he’d considered asking. Caiside approaches her with a spring in his step, his own bag of should-have-been offerings bouncing on his hip.

”Excuse me.” He started smoothly, the warm smile on his face brightening golden eyes. ”I don’t mean to inturrupt, but I wanted to ask about your basket. What are you doing with it?” It wasn’t necessarily the most eloquent way Caiside could have put his question, but if it got his curiosity sated then he would be happy.

Scattering sparks of thought energy
Deliver me and carry me away
Here in my kingdom I am your lord
I order you to cower and pray
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe startled a little at the sound of a voice, looking up from her notes to see a fellow she certainly did not recognize. "Oh, hello." she said with a small smile. He looked like he had been heading somewhere...perhaps he was lost and needed directions? But instead he inquired after her basket, which she glanced at when he mentioned it. As she did so she noticed the sun had shifted slightly, and so she carefully repositioned it to capture the full force of the sun's rays beating down on it.

"This? I am catching the sun." she said with a warm smile as she looked back up at the man. "It is part of a Fae tradition during LongHeat. Were you curious about it?" she asked, not asking him the question of if he had heard of it. Clearly he hadn't or he wouldn't need to ask her what the empty basket was about. Which...now that she thought about it, did probably look pretty ridiculous. Everyone walking around with empty baskets everywhere...she resisted the giggle that built up, wondering how many people thought her daft for doing so.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

CAISIDE
”Catching the sun?” He repeated, eyes moving to follow her hands as she adjusted the basket, his head tilting to the side slowly. ”I had heard there was a celebration coming up, but nothing of trying to catch the sun.” Surely there were better ways than catching it in a basket, but that was a thought Caiside kept to himself. Who was he to judge, after all?

Not judging didn’t mean he didn’t have questions though, so he stepped closer, kneeling on the edge of her blanket and pursing his lips as he tried to settle on curiosities one at a time. ”What do you do with it once you’ve caught it?” Was the question that finally won out, leaving his lips rather yngracefully in its haste.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
”Well, you don’t really do anything with the sun. Its purpose is symbolic; catching the sun to help the days stay long for as long as possible.” she said, giving him a sunny smile. Phoebe set aside her book briefly so she could focus on fully explaining it. ”So you make a basket, catch the sun, do something for Safrin so she does not bring the night back, and then you make a gift for the festival.” she said, counting off on her fingers so she was sure not to miss one.

”A Fae woman told me that all the traditions are a bit more geared towards children, but I figured it doesn’t hurt to participate. Maybe if the Fae see us as willing to learn and embrace their culture, they will be more willing to be friendly with us.” she said with a little shrug.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

CAISIDE
Caiside cocked his head, not sure he understood the sense of the action still, though the idea was something he could get behind. The rest of it all seemed like fairly standard celebration, and was actually a little closer to familiar for him. ”I’d heard there was a fesrival, and gift exchange, but I didn’t realize there was more.” He admitted, meeting her bright smile with one of his own. It made more sense when she continued with the fact that they were for children. With that little fact it was easier to swallow the strangeness of the tradition.

”Its kind of you to explain this.” Caiside leaned back, basking in the sun and enjoying one of the first casual conversations he’d had in what felt like forever. He wanted to keep it casual, and so held his tongue at her naïveté. He didn’t have much faith in the fae growing any less prickly towards anyone, and if he was being honest, he didn’t necessarily blame them.

That was not the line of thought he followed though. Instead, Caiside pointed towards the book she had set down. ”What are you working on?” He asked, golden eyes glittering with interest.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
She smiled and nodded, glad she had explained it well enough for him to understand. ”It is nice, I think, learning these new traditions. It sort of fills the void of all the ones lost back where I came from.” she said with a slightly melancholy sigh. She did miss home, but this new world was proving vibrant and lively – with so much to learn she didn’t have time to long for it often. ”Oh I am more than happy to!” she said, brightening right away with his thanks.

”Oh this?” she said, picking the book back up after adjusting her basket again. ”I am compiling all of my knowledge of midwifery so I can better organize it into a formal text. I recently started the Medical College and one of our first tasks is simply collecting and recording all that we know.” she explained, holding the book out to him if he wished to see. Inside he would see meticulous, color coded notes, penned in a smooth, feminine hand.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

CAISIDE
”I certainly understand wanting to replace what was left behind.” Caiside said with a matching melancholy in his tone, his eyes sliding away from Phoebe, focusing on some suddenly interesting tree instead. ”Has it been long since you arrived here?” It was with these words Caiside realized just how long he himself has been here. Already, he had passed through two seasons, another one half gone. The realization showed on his face, his brows knitting together in slight discomfort.

A medical college? Caiside cast a more critical eye over Phoebe, surprise now dominating his expression. ”Thats a highly impressive feat for one so young. You should be proud.” He said with an admiring smile, accepting the book and flipping through the pages, though it was clear he didn’t understand a thing contained within them. ”I only ever learned enough of first aid to get by, and I never needed to actually use most of it.” He admitted with a laugh, passing the book back to Phoebe.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"I've been here almost a year now. Once Leafchange comes." she said with a small shrug. How had a year gone by so quickly? How had so much happened in such a short time? She had learned about gods and befriended one. She had survived LongNight, met the her first love and slept with a man for the first time. She had restarted her midwifery practice, started a medical college. She had had her heart broken, she had lost her first child, and she had mended her heart anew. How had there been time for it all?

"Thank you, I am." she said with a smile, taking the book back from him when he handed it to her. "Well if you are interested in learning more, you are more than welcome to join. Not all of use are as specialized in our knowledge base as I am." she said with a grin. "Once we have everything organized, my first goal is to research more, so we can better understand how the body functions, to develop more reliable methods to treat and cure disease and injury."
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

CAISIDE
Over a year. Not so long an amount of time, and yet just enough to remind Caiside of how long he’s been here. It had been just over six months, and he had accomplished almost nothing. Some of his cool face cracked at the relization, his brows furrowing just the slightest, though he continued the conversation as smoothly as he could.

”I’ve actually grown rather... squeamish about injuries. I can’t imagine I’d be a good student.” The excuse slipped out of him easily, just close enough to the truth that he could stick by it easily. He was squeamish about blood and such, unless it was his own, but not enough to deter him from doing what was necessary, if needed. He just wasn’t that interested.

However... ”You know, I am going to be working on a... catalogue, of every plant and beast I can get close to here. Perhaps I could bring some of them To you. There must be something here that could be of more use to you.” It would be useful information to have recorded, and something Caiside was far more willing to do. Provided Phoebe thought it would be useful.

Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled at him warmly as he admitted to being a little squeamish. She always found it a bit amusing how unsettled people could be by such things. It was just the body after all doing what the body did – and what the body did was fantastical. Made of tiny little things undiscernible to the eye, it was an incredible feat that the gods alone understood. But soon, she would understand, even just a hairs breadth more, and everyone would be better for it.

”That’s alright. A lot of people get that way about medical things.” Phoebe said, voice free of judgement. The catalogue she found very intriguing though and she smiled brightly. ”Oh yes, that would be wonderful.” she said, pleased with that offer. There was so much to learn about this place still; someone being out and about cataloguing it all would be a boon for her college.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

CAISIDE
Caiside smiled brightly and clapped his hands together when Phoebe said she was interested. ”There are a few more things I’ll need to work out before I begin, so don’t expect anything immediately.” There were still people he needed to talk to, plans he needed to make, but having an actual focus to start with was a huge boon.

Caiside sat quietly a moment longer, taking in the sun and the peace around them, then pushed himself back up to his feet. ”Thank you again for letting me impose on you. Good luck with your sun catching” He brushed off his front, then offered Phoebe another bright smile before turning away, back towards the settlement. ”I’ll find you when I have something good.” He promised over his shoulder.