Better to Ask Forgiveness
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Emmett noticed the expression on Phoebe's face as he spoke about Amalia, but he wasn't sure what it was for. Did they have some kind of history...? Amalia, or indeed any other romantic prospect other than Phoebe was so far from his mind he couldn't even imagine that as the reason for her displeasure. "Yeah, she's alright. I don' see her much, though."

He was surprised as Phoebe began to speak at such length, having only meant to make a little teasing joke. "It was jus' a joke, babe. I'm fine, really." Emmett laughed, trying to smile as he washed his chest, frowning at the blood on it - not his own, the creatures, but it was still unpleasant enough.

"You shouldn' ever have to feel like ya don' measure up, though. You're by far the best person I've ever met." He didn't have to think about the genuine, adoring expression on his face "And I love you, which I meant t'say in a nicer way than I did...I realised when I woke up I'd said it when I was all sleepy." Laughing bashfully, he knelt up to scrub at his legs. "I dunno how much a farmer's love means t'you, but I think you're really good...just...at everythin'."
Emmett
Had a dream
you and me and the war of the end times
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
”Oh.” she said, feeling a bit guilty that she was happy he didn’t see Amalia very often. She was even more pleased that he seemed so blasé about it. Maybe she was getting concerned and jealous over nothing…in fact that actually seemed very likely.

Phoebe blinked at him, confused. A…a joke? ”Sorry…it’s hard to tell I guess because you do talk down about yourself a lot you know.” It made it difficult to tell when he was joking from when he was serious. She didn’t like how poorly he seemed to think of himself when she thought the world of him. She sighed and sat next to the tub, since his clothes were soaking and there wasn’t much else to do.

The way he looked at her made her cheeks flush, and his words had her smile brightening. ”I think you give me more credit than I deserve.” she said with a smile. ”A farmer’s love? Any old farmer? Eh.” she said and shrugged before smirking a little. ”Yours though, I cherish.” she said, her own tone and expression conveying his feelings were not unrequited.
Phoebe
I'll be your shoulder when you cry
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"I..do? Huh." Emmett frowned, clearly unaware of this tendancy. He did consider himself humble, in some ways lesser than others...but he had always been taught to be happy with what he had. For the first time,  he wondered if he wasn't actually as content as he had believed.

He smiled at her words, scrubbing hands through his hair (dried blood coming off in flakes, floating on the surface of the water). "So uh... has anythin' happened with your medicine school yet? I know it's only early days yet, but I know y'were excited about it. "

Emmett still felt a little inadequate when it came to the college, knowing that beyond fixing leaky roof issues or cleaning, he wouldn't be much use there. "You found anyone else as smart as you t'help?"
Emmett
Had a dream
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe smiled a little and nodded. ”You do. Saying how you aren’t very smart or you’re just a farmer and little things like that. You really should give yourself some credit.” she said, smiling at him lovingly. She moved away for a moment to scrub at his clothes, which had soaked long enough. She was pleased to see the stains lifting out of the fabric, and soon had them wrung out and drying by the fire.

Then she returned to his side, a washcloth in hand, to tend to the scratches on his face. ”Not a whole lot yet. I am still gathering information, writing down everything I know in a way that is instructive and useful…It will take time to really get going I think.” she said with a small smile, gently wiping his face with the warm, soapy rag to clean his wounds.

”Vervain and Nate have both joined which is encouraging. I hope more will join soon.” she said with a smile.
Phoebe
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

"Well, I ain' tha' smart...but I guess tha's me doin' it again, huh?" Emmett laughed. "But I don' mind it too much. I have a lot of other skills, mind you. Sometimes you got people who are meant t'be good at books and learnin', and people who are meant to be good at stuff with their hands. And I'm tha'. ...Would you say so?" He added a wink and a grin to the last question, pulling it to the childish innuendo. Not usually one prone to dirty jokes, he laughed embarrassed.

He leaned forward to let her mop at his face, wrinkling his nose up as it stung. Nodding at her words he waited until she pulled the cloth away to speak.

"That Nate fella...did ya kinda get...shady vibes from him? D'ya know if he's got any kinda medical background?"
Emmett
Had a dream
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
She grinned at him, as he realized what she was getting at. ”You are indeed.” she said with a little smirk, her cheeks flaring red as she realized the innuendo. ”But that doesn’t make you ‘not smart’. You are very smart and talented. Just because your skills and intelligence lie in a trade and not something academic doesn’t mean you’ve less capacity to learn and grow.” she said, her tone gentle and loving, trying to boost his ego a bit. ”I love that about you actually.”

After she washed off his face and dried it she carefully ran an alcohol solution over it – prefacing it with a warning that it would sting – then covered it with a cream to help the pain and ward off infection. Was it a bit overkill for the extent of the scratches? Absolutely. But she loved him, and she would always go the extra mile for those she loved.

”Shady?” she said, tilting her head a bit curiously as she put her medical supplies away. ”No not shady. He’s a bit rough around the edges but I think he is harmless…and so far he has claimed to have a background in healing. I will find out soon enough.” she said with a smile, offering him a towel to dry off with.
Phoebe
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett felt his smile grow wide as she spoke, looked down towards the dirty bathwater and laughed embarrassed. "Well, I dunno bout all tha'...but thanks." Not feeling incomplete in the presence of book-learning was something he would need to grow out of, probably.

As she got to washing and fixing his face up, he made a few faces at the pain but stayed obediantly still for the most part, gripping the edge of the tub when the pain was especially bad. Not that it was anything compared to the searing, burning pain he'd felt on Longnight, but it still stung. When she was done he stood up and looked down at himself, decided he was clean enough for the moment and stepped out of the bath, reaching for a towel to dry himself with.

"Well, if ya say so...Jus' be careful, yeah? If you think there's gonna be any trouble, lemme know and I'll come hang out for a day." His tone of voice made it clear his 'hanging out' wouldn't be good for anyone wishing to cause trouble. "You gonna have time for the clinic and the college? Don' spread yourself too thin."
Emmett
Had a dream
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe smiled at him warmly and kissed his cheek. "You're too modest. But you're welcome." she said. At least it seemed what she had said lifted his spirits, and seeing him smile like that lifted her own.

"Sorry." she said, giving him an apologetic smile. She knew that cleaning the scratches would hurt but it was nothing compared to how they would hurt if they got infected. As he stepped out of the tub of now murky water she brought over a few buckets. Phoebe drained the water out of it into the smaller buckets so it would be easier to toss out. Multiple smaller containers of water were much easier to work with than a giant tub after all. "If you want, you can stay here for the night?" she offered, hoping he would. "You've had a long day after all, fighting a banshee and everything...I can go pick up Chris and Milly for you even."

She grinned and nodded at his offer to come by the college if she felt Nate was going to be a problem. "Well you're welcome any time. But I will be sure to let you know if I am concerned about anyone." she said. Don't stretch herself to thin though? Really that was kind of the point. If she stayed busy, she had no time to think about her miscarriage. "They are actually really complementary. I don't think either will be too much of a drain on my time since they go so well together." she said with a smile.
Phoebe
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Emmett cringed at the many buckets Phoebe began to fill, feeling guilty for giving her such a job late at night. But she didn't complain about the task so he tried to just be gracious, drying himself off completely then coming over to kiss the top of her head, his thumbs affectionately rubbing her cheeks. "Thanks. That would be great, Bee."

She reassured him about the college and Nate and while he still had his suspicions he let them go for now, finding a blanket to wrap around himself. "While you're gone, I'll do some tidyin' and stuff." He promised, sitting down in a chair and relaxing for just a moment by the fireplace, huffing out a tired sigh of air.

He did try to do some tidying, managed some, but before long Emmett had fallen asleep in the chair, only awoken some time later when Phoebe and the kids returned, at which point he tried to pretend he'd been awake the whole time (it was not very convincing). It was late and so swiftly he sent the kids to bed then allowed himself to drift off again, this time with Phoebe in his arms and a smile on his face.

{fin}
Emmett
Had a dream