Nobody hangs hard times on the wall
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059

An unsteady lion moves through the fields. His steps are awkward and mis-matched. There is no easy predator's rhythm or grace, just a mess of stumbles, awkward shambling, and growls of displeasure.

Of all his shifts Remi has found that the lion has the strongest senses, and so it is in this body that he is trying to learn how he might navigate the world. In the distance Isla grazes. She is there if Remi really needs her, but until he does, she keeps her opinions (and her sight) to herself.

remi
sometimes love is war but sometimes you win
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Emmett did not often engage in guilty pleasures, but very occasionally he would let himself go out for a run in the fields while shifted. The feeling of grass under his quick hooves and the sun on his fur was always refreshing, let him feel free and alive for a while before having to return to his life of chores and responsibility.

He had been sprinting about the fields for a while (as a donkey he could be quite fast, when he actually put his mind to it) when he suddenly came to a dead stop, seeing a Lion?! a few feet ahead. Immediately panicked he tried to back away slowly, a worried little whinney leaving him, eyes only fixed on the predator and not it's strange companion, which may have told him that it was unlikely he was about to be eaten.
Emmett
How deeply are you sleeping?
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Suddenly there was a scent. Immediately Remi's tongue grew moist and the predator within him, blind or no, wanted to leap into action. Not allowing this of course, the lion came to a halt, head tilted into the breeze to try and listen for the creature, rather than simply smell it.

Though the scent was overwhelming. It smelled of some sort of equine, though not quite a horse. He knew what those smelled like from his time with Rory, and while this was close, it almost seemed more earthy somehow.

Hello? Remi called out mentally, his voice light and melodically accented as he blindly turned his amber gaze this way and that, trying to triangulate where the scent was coming from.

remi
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Seeing Remi's body freeze and his nose twitch, Emmett knew his scent had been caught and tried to take a couple more slow, quiet steps back -- then there was a voice in his head, unexpected and sudden, in part because it was familiar.

Remi..? Is...that you? He asked, still not moving at all, fear of the fangs visible in the beasts mouth keeping his hooves firmly rooted to the ground. Even if it was Remi, he was still a donkey and this was still a lion. Every instinct in him told him to be cautious, not to trust.
Emmett
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Emmett? Remi called back in response, laughter in his mental voice. Phoebe had mentioned that her beau was an attuned—it was how Remi had spoken to him that day during the festival—but not actually what he was.

Sitting down and curling his tail around his impressive haunches, the lion tilted his head up towards the breeze again, sniffing gently at the smell of the farmer. What...are you? It smells a little like horse, but not quite. Earthier I think.

remi
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

As Remi sat Emmett relaxed just a little, taking one small step closer to the lion. Yeah, it's me. When he was sat with his tail curled about him, the large cat looked almost cute and non-threatening, but he still could not help the quick beat of his heart.

The question threw him, his head tipping to the side in a rather human gesture of confusion. You never seen a donkey before? And...are you trying to say I smell like dirt? Earthier was not his idea of a compliment, no matter how you put it.
Emmett
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

The alchemist laughed a sunny sound, his tawny head shaking and causing his mane to gently whisper around him like a halo. I never have, no. Horses were quite rare where I came from...I do know what a donkey is from books and such, but I have never seen one. Biting the inside of his lip, the alchemist sighed. And I guess I still have not, he thought to himself.

Ah! No! Remi chuckled, shaking his momentary despair away. It is hard to describe how things smell. It is not like any one thing - not like dirt or trees or grass - but just sort of... earth. Horses smell of hay and sweat in addition to their equine smell. So saying, the lion shrugged gently.

Are you...in the middle of something? There is something that perhaps you might help me with, you being a donkey and me being a lion.

remi
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

...Huh. Well, here I am. He said, turning to his side a little to show Remi his full form, now mostly convinced he wasn't about to be eaten and not realising that it would not matter what angle he stood at, Remi still would not see him anyway.

Emmett humoured Remi's attempts to recover his clumsy wording, trying not to be too offended. He probably did smell a little bit; donkeys were not known for being fresh. When he heard there was something he could help with, to do with their animal forms, the conviction that Remi wasn't going to eat him disappearing, he took a step back and watched the lion suspiciously.

I'm not doing anything, but...it depends on what you want. I don't wanna be eaten, surprisingly.
Emmett
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Remi laughed again through their connection and stood unsteadily on his paws. No, no plans to eat you. He confirmed with another chuckle.

I....cannot see, Emmett. I was blinded. The alchemist explained patiently. To say he'd come to terms with it would have been a stretch, but at least Remi's voice remained smooth and more or less chipper. I am having a hard time navigating, as you can imagine. I was thinking that...given I am a predator and you could be prey, that I could try and find you? See if I can lean into my instincts and navigate that way?

remi
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Blinded?? I...uh...I'm sorry about that, damn... Emmett felt uncomfortable, shifting between his four legs. He did not know Remi particularly well and had said several negative things about the man, so it felt odd to be confronted with a tragedy owned by the Alchemist. He wasn't sure how much pity was appropriate, but there was certainly some in the connection between them.

Still, pity or no, Remi's request was met with skepticism. I guess I'd be okay with that in principle, but are you sure your 'instincts' aren't also gonna make you sink your claws in eventually? He asked, dark eyes looking down to the sharp nails on Remi's paws.
Emmett
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

Yes...thank you. Remi murmured, appreciating the sympathy he felt pulsing between them.

Tilting his head thoughtfully though he could not see, he extended his claws into the soil, tearing up at the fragile and dry shoots beneath him. I do not think I would. I have had this shift for a year now, and I have not injured anyone unintentionally in some time. But I can see why you would not want to take the risk. Pretend I never said anything. The lion said, a smile carrying his words through the bond.

remi
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

Remi's quick and easy stepping down made Emmett feel guilty suddenly, though he knew he was likely entirely validated to be worried for his safety in this situation. Still, his heart pleaded with him to make a compromise, so after a moment he stepped forward again.

No, hey, look. If you really think it'd help...and you can promise you won't eat me, that there's no chance of that at all...then we can do it. Maybe we could have..uh... Suddenly Remi would feel a wave of embarrassment as Emmett tried to think of a way to explain his knowledge of this, but he couldn't think of anything. A safe word? Y'know, like a phrase I say when it's getting too far.
Emmett
or are you still awake?
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:

A safe word? The lion repeated, tilting his head sightlessly to the side. Sure, if you think that would help. But Emmett, you really do not need to do this. I am sure I can find another way to test my sense of smell. The alchemist added, trying to recant on his earlier request.

Though the alchemist had never been a man who had been imposing or intimidating before, now he strangely felt as if he were wading into that territory. Too deep now to retreat totally, he didn't want Emmett at all to feel as though he was agreeing to something that he truly did not want to be a part of.

What if the word is Phoebe? The lion suggested. The woman represented by that word was someone they both cared deeply for. She seemed a fitting word that was safe for the both of them.

remi
Emmett Palmer

Change author:

No, I...I should help you. If this happened to me, I'd want help. With a friendly, supportive vibe (desperately trying to override the still present fear, slight worry that this was a ruse).

The suggestion of Phoebe felt...a little odd, but he couldn't think of anything better in the moment so Emmett just nodded. He looked back and forth across the field and paused, then looked to Remi. Well then, uh...gimme a head start?

He began to trot, not going too fast at first, away from Remi and towards the far barrier of the field, looking behind him to see if the lion would follow.
Emmett
or are you still awake?