Taking Different Roads
For Remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAMUEL
i am the ocean, crawling madly at your moon.
and with one wanton whoop —
Perhaps unsurprisingly, Remi's initial reaction was defensiveness. Sam tried not to look worried or scared (not that it would have mattered, ultimately) and listen, trying to remind himself that friends were allowed to disagree and talk and it did not mean anyone hated him. Because...he still disagreed, especially with Remi's rather lackluster defense.

"A few days is a rather long time and...I'm sorry, but. In the circumstances I would not much care how much he liked the city. I have done things I do not like for the people I love and I know you have too. Doesn't it hurt you that he hasn't visited yet?" Sam did not intend for his words to be painful, speaking honestly and concernedly, clutching his tea (which he had not yet drinken a drop of).
— i melt into a sycophantic soup,
& all that's left to do, is giggle, fawn, and swoon.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
REMI
wish that we could go back in time,
i'd be the one you thought you'd find

Though Remi couldn't see, he still lowered his head, his cheeks flushing with colour. To hear about what Sam would or wouldn't do for love caused something jagged and uncomfortable to appear in Remi's stomach, jabbing unsteadily at his heart. But that was a long time ago now, and not worth rehashing. Exhaling, Remi fumbled for his glass of tea. Finding it, he drained the entire cup before setting it down.

"I am sure he has a reason." Remi said with a gentle shrug. "He might not even be free of her. It is entirely possible that she has him somewhere, locked in his wagon. I do not think she would hurt him, but imprison him? Certainly."
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAMUEL
Remi continued to cover for Ianto with excuses that still sounded more desperate than plausible, but Sam felt it might be cruel to continue to push him to consider his boyfriend's morals. Perhaps at a later date, if he had still not shown up, they could have the discussion again; Sam did not want Remi to be with someone who would treat him poorly. He actually found himself a little surprised at himself, that his concern was wholly for Remi's wellbeing and not borne of jealousy.

"Well. Maybe so. I hope it works out and you see him soon, then. Would you like more tea? Maybe something to eat?"{b] He reached for the kettle. [b}"Speaking of...food, and things, how will you manage now? To get around and prepare food and so on? To work? Do you have people to help?" He knew Remi had Ronin, but the guildmaster had to be busy with his own daughter and monster-hunting quests. Isla had hooves, so there would be tasks she could not accomplish either.

"I am willing to take some days out of my schedule to come and help, if you need them." He offered immediately after asking.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
REMI

"No, no more tea, thank you." Remi said with a gentle shake of his head. The day was already so warm that he didn't think he could stand drinking anything that would further raise his temperature. Exhaling a stream upwards the made one of his curls dance away from his forehead, Remi shrugged. "I still live with Ronin. Both he and Sugar and Isla have been helpful. When she is close I can almost see through her eyes...but I have been trying to map out the guildhall and learn how to move like this. I am not the first man to have ever become blinded after all." Remi continued with another gentle shrug.

"Oh, thank you." Unable to see the look on Sam's face, Remi couldn't tell if the bookmaker's was an offering of pity, or of genuine concern. "I will let you know. Phoebe offered the same as well. I do not mean to be stubborn, and maybe I still am, but I think I would like to see how much I can do on my own first."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"You are not the first, no, but I also suspect you would not be the first to find it difficult." Sam said gently. He often downplayed his own struggles with the excuse I'm sure others have had it worse, or done this before, and he knew it only ended in feeling invalidated and sadder than before.

Still, he admired Remi's desire to do things by himself and did not push his help further. "Alright. Just know I am always here. Um.." He fished the little rock out of his pocket that Remi had given him, green and signalling things were alright (rather ironically, he thought). "This...warning system that you gave me...could you still even use it? If you can't see it, perhaps you could give it to somebody who may better put it to use. I would not want to selfishly keep hold of something so useful."

It was a slightly painful offer to make, Sam wanting to hold onto all gifts he received tightly, especially those from Remi, but such a thing could likely be put to better use if it could no longer be used to call Remi.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

"True." The alchemist agreed with a soft shrug.

Hearing the sound of fabric but not knowing really what was happening, Remi directed his unseeing gaze towards the table, patiently but awkwardly waiting. "Oh!" Understanding now that Sam was probably holding the device, Remi reached into his pocket to produce its twin. "You are clever Sam. I had not even thought of this. Here—" Stretching out his hand for Sam to place his stone into, Remi held them together for a moment and closed his eyes. Softly his hands pulsed with golden light for a moment—his transmutation magic working deep into the device—and then faded entirely. "There. Now it will shake slightly as well as produce a light. I will be able to feel it, and you will be able to feel and see it. Although...I suppose it is me who is not much use to you now. Perhaps..." But the inside of his lip, Remi mentally kicked himself and forced himself to say the words. "Perhaps you should give mine to someone else. Jigano perhaps, who could actually come to you and provide assistance." So saying, the alchemist held out his stone to Sam.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam didn't feel like the smart one between them at all as Remi once again performed the miracle that was his magic, fixing the problem of the stones in a few seconds with a glow that was a trick in of itself. He took back his stone and held it lightly in the palm of his hand, watching it as if expecting it to shake there and then.

He looked back up as Remi suggested he give the other stone to someone else and shook his head, reaching out to close Remi's fingers back around the stone. "No, Remi. It is for me to contact you, and...there is no one else I trust more when I am in danger. Even if you cannot come yourself, I know you will do everything to help me." Sam smiled warmly, though Remi could not see.

"Besides, as you said, you are trying to carry on as normal for the moment, right? I would be wary of giving away pieces of your life so quickly. You never know, you may find yourself stronger and more fierce than before, once you are used to it and have had some help." He reached over to pat Remi's hand, but the words were genuine.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

"I am sure there are others in your life who would do the same." The alchemist said gently, a smile trying to tug downwards on his lips as his smile regaled and tried to grow.

Laughing slightly at Sam's well-put point, the alchemist nodded dutifully in response. "True...I just..." As Sam's hand covered his, the alchemist swallowed sadly and nodded. There was so much history between them; some lost, some known only to one side, and it weighed heavily on Remi's mind and heart. "I just do not want to let you down Sam. Not again...not ever again." He added in a low tone, his sightless gaze dropping. The context of what he meant by again seemed intentionally vague, and the alchemist frowned slightly and sightlessly at the table.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"But no others who I know would fight as fiercely for me or anyone else." Sam insisted, wanting to see Remi's smile stay (though while he was trying to be nice, he did mean this. He knew Remi was not the type to leave a man behind).

When he took Remi's hand it did not seem to comfort but actually make Remi sad. At his words Sam frowned and shook his head. "You...you haven't let me down, Remi. You have been a good friend to me despite...w..what I did to you, and you have been forgiving, brave...you saved my life." He squeezed Remi's fingers.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

"I have though, and we both know it." Remi said with a gentle shake of his head. Though the sadness disappeared into a smile as he turned a milky-white gaze up towards Sam (or roughly where he thought the bookmaker was, anyhow). "You have saved my life as well, do not forget. Maybe even more than once, for all the good our collective memory does us." He added with a small laugh.

Tucking the stone back in his pocket, the alchemist gave Sam's hand a final squeeze before he shakily got to his feet. "I should go. I am sure both Ronin and Aoife are hungry." Remi said with a grin.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
"No, I don't." Sam insisted, and he truly didn't. While he possibly trusted Jigano more on matters of wisdom, he felt he had no one looking out for him moreso than Remi, who had forgiven him an awful sin and still wanted to help. Sam had been let down before in many different ways, and this was not how it felt at all.

But he could only argue so many times so he let it go after that, just sadly nodding and wishing Remi could see the fondness in his eyes.

He took back his hand and stood too. "Alright then. But...Remi...before you go..." Sam slowly approached, placing a hand on Remi's arm first to warn him of the oncoming contact, then pulled Remi into a hug, tightly holding his back and pressing his face into the other man's shoulder, trying to comfort him somehow against the awful, huge hardships he was facing.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

Turning his head gently as if he could look to see the reason why Sam had asked him to stay, his fingers flexed slightly as the bookmaker reached out for his arm. Easily melding into the hug—it was not unwelcome as Remi did like physical affection, but it was also familiar—he wrapped his arms around the smaller man.

Inwardly Remi's heart pulsed in his chest and for a moment uncertainty washed through him. He'd only just said that he was seeing someone else, but Sam would always be someone he had strange and complicated feelings for, and now finding him suddenly wrapped up in his arms made his thoughts grow slightly fuzzy.

"Thank you, Sam." He whispered gently into the mop of coppery-red hair.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
SAMUEL
Sam did not feel so intensely as Remi as they embraced. He had intended it to be only a platonic comfort after all, and while he felt a sort of general anxiousness at being so close to another person, any romantic thought was purposefully banished from his mind. He couldn't let it in, couldn't afford to; not when he was trying to work on himself and his life.

He stepped back and held Remi's hands for a moment, smiled even though he wouldn't see. "You're welcome. Do you have somebody to help you get home..?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
REMI

The alchemist sighed gently as Sam pulled away, exhaling a touch longer as he tried to clear his mind. "No. If you can get me back to your door, I should be able to manage. I need to learn, after all."

In fact, he'd placed some juniper at his door that with his lion's nose, he could detect quite easily. So far using scent as a guide had proved the most effective way to navigate, but only to places he'd been before.

As Sam guided him back and opened the door, Remi offered the bookmaker a half-hearted smile that quickly became genuine. "See you soon." He chuckled, winking blindly at his friend before stepping back out into the street.

~FIN