God Quest When All Other Lights Go Out
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
A white-haired man made his way once more through Ludo's Woods, his steps slow and aimless as a gryphlet bounced happily at his side. He followed her as often as she followed him, their path winding and circuitous until the trees eventually took on a familiar shade of reddish flesh and the Shrine came into view before them.

The man carried a bundle of cloth that rustled intriguingly and two sticks in one hand, and an iron lantern with a burning feather in it in the other. One stick was wrapped around the one in his hand like a tentacle, and even days later he treated it with wary respect. When he reached the Shrine he set down his burdens and bowed before moving to place an offering in one of the niches in the trees: a small yellow sunflower seed loaf, mad under Amalia's supervision as a sweet summer treat, dusted lightly with powdered sugar and only a little smudged from travel as he unwrapped the napkin around it.

Isuma happily nibbled crumbs from his fingers as he knelt gracefully in the forest loam before he shifted into the form of a ghostly white fox and composed himself into reverent frame of mind.

Ludo, I have brought the items that you requested: the goldfish scales, the Wicker Woman's branch, and the Sparkbird's feather. I hope that these are enough. If they are not I will go and find you more, he promised, hoping his prayer would be heard and answered - and that the mischievous soul guide was in a good mood today.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The loaf would remain for only a moment where Jigano placed it, before it was surreptitiously swallowed up by the woods. (Or by Ludo. Or both. Who knew?)

"Wonderful," the deity said, dancing out from the trees in a surge of black fabric. A few small orbs danced about it - not will-o-wisps, no, but definitely from within Ludo's Woods. "Please, place them down before us. Let us see if we can get create a lantern to carry souls."

Whilst it waited, Ludo drifted down to pet Isuma, a tendril of cloth smoothing over her feathers.

LUDO
Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Though he composed himself and controlled his body from jerking at the sudden appearance of the deity, something inside him still flinched at the appearance of a god so near at hand, even one he felt an uncommon fondness for. He stretched himself out in a canine bow, rising with hope in his blue eyes and a short wag of his long, fluffy brush at Ludo's casual command.

Lacking thumbs might have been more of a challenge, but Jigano moved with the deft confidence of a lifetime of experience as he turned to grip the 'bait' stick between his teeth, pulling it - and the attached Wicker Woman's branch - into position before the fluttering rags first. Isuma chirruped happily and nestled up into the petting of the eerie cloth as the white fox dragged the lantern with its fiery feather forward next. Finally, he set his teeth to the cloth package, tugging on a corner to unwrap it and reveal the spill of colored scales that he had washed and cleaned in the river after their feast. Silver and gold, crimson and white glittered on the folds of fabric, and Jigano sat back looking hopefully up at the god.

Is it enough? he asked cautiously.
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"It is plenty," Ludo assured the fox as he went about arranging the components before them. It took a moment to coo over Isuma before finally leaving her to her bonded and surging up, hovering over the items Jigano had brought and seeming, in that strange way it had, to smile.

With a mere effort of will, the objects would rise up from the ground to hover before Ludo, before beginning to circle in the air, as if it were a juggler. "You remember, yes? The song I gave to you. If this works, the melody will call a lost soul out, and the lantern will entice it, keep it within until you can bring it to these woods."

Faster and faster the objects spun, until they were mere blurs before god and fox. Then all at once, with a spark that illuminated the forest all around, before them hovered a single lantern.

The same size and shape as the one which had held the spark bird's feather, this lantern was fashioned out of the winding, twisting branch of a Wicker Woman, the wood petrified into keeping its shape and behaving. Within, set upon a curved plate of golden scales, a pure flame burned and flickered. The fire was as white as Ludo's mask, and instantly the orb-like creatures that had accompanied it began to move towards it.

"There," it said. "It looks like it is already doing its job."

LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isuma was always happy to be fussed over, whether by man or god, and she purred happily as she arched up into the touch of the rag over her back and wings, golden eyes squeezed closed in an undeniably contented expression on her soft-feathered little face.

I remember, Jigano flicked an ear in a canine nod, ruefully realizing that his fox form would not allow him to sing it. His eyes were for the objects as they began to hover, however, blue eyes wide as they began to spin and he watched them, entranced, while Isuma ran in a circle beneath them, peeping excitedly until she stumbled from dizziness and had to sit abruptly down, blinking and swaying woozily.

Jigano watched, unblinking, until the flare of light forced him to close his eyes against the brightness. When he opened them again the lantern was whole and complete before him, and he hopped to his feet in surprise before leaning forward to sniff at it curiously. The orbs that moved towards it, then... Are they souls on their way to Mort? he asked curiously, glancing to the masked god with awe still widening his blue eyes at the miracle that had just occurred. Thank you, Ludo. I will try to find lost spirits to bring to you... and perhaps on Long Night it might catch some of those who have been reluctant to go home. A dangerous proposition, possibly a lethal one, as he had learned last Deepfrost. But the risk would be worth it, if he could protect his friends and those who came after them.

Is there anything else I can do to help you? he asked, settling back and cocking his head at the soul guide, gratitude for the opportunity the lantern represented shining in his eyes and the pert forward tilt of his ears, even as Isuma reep!ed curiously and pounced after one of the glowing orbs in playful exuberance.
Spooky Rags

Change author:

"They are," Ludo confirmed, a wisp of cloth snaking out to coax the little souls back and away from the lantern; at least that proved that its pull was as powerful as expected. The porcelain mask dipped its head to acknowledge the gratitude before Ludo surged back from the light, letting the lantern lower to sit upon the forest floor. "Perhaps you will. I wish you luck in your endeavour, fox. LongNight will not be easy, even though the barrier has fallen."

At the mention of anything else, the soul guide shook its head. "Me? No. This forest is troubled though, sweetling. Very, very troubled, as are the lands within where the barrier used to be. They need your attention more than I."

Ludo drifted up and into the branches of the woods, seeming to dissipate into smoke there. If Jigano listened close, it might have even been singing.

Congratulations! Jigano has completed a God Quest and has received the following item:

SoulKeeper | A magical lantern capable of housing lost souls of the departed. The lantern keeps them safe until such a time as they can be released to Ludo and Mort.
LUDO

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
The fox stepped forward cautiously to examine the lantern with nose and whiskers, sniffing over its wooden frame and peering at the steady flame within. Did the monsters only trouble those within the barrier? he asked curiously, remembering a book, a memory, a child in the snow. Death had come that Long Night as well, but not from a monster's raking claws or maddened cackle in the dark. No, the monsters of that first Long Night had been safe and snug inside the houses, not out in the unnatural darkness. The ones who haunted the Hollowed Grounds had come later, then...

Troubled how? Is there a way I can-- But the god had drifted up into the shadows, the faint music of their passage all that remained in answer to the fox's endless questions. He hesitated only a moment longer before stretching into a canine bow before the Shrine, then flowed into his human form to lift the lantern and scoop Isuma into the cradle of his elbow. "Be well, Ludo," he said softly into the returning silence before turning and making his way home again. For now he would lock the lantern into the Sentient Book vault in the Guildhall, the one to which he had the only key, and learn from Remi's mistake: to keep its secret until such time came that he could use it for its intended purpose.