I’m shaking my head & locking the gates
Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 21 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

So the Launceleyn’s needed a place to stay. Though there was more than enough housing for them to all live separately, given all that had happened recently, Edrei was determined to keep the family together. The few of them she could find anyways. Sulis, Astra, and Neron were still MIA. Though Edy was still on more or less tense terms with Zariah, the teenager still wanted them all under the same roof. She and Loren were still BFFs of course (if he thought being transported to a new world was going to change any of that, he was sorely mistaken).

What was perhaps the most terrifying part of this whole ordeal, was that it had made Edy even more clingy than normal.

That explained why she was currently cleaning.

Having picked out one of the larger houses that she could find, Edy had done a quick inventory to make sure that the residence was large enough for the three adult Launceleyn’s as well as Bea. There was even a spare room should they find one of the missing three.

After a few hours of cleaning, cursing, and running around like a crazy person, Edy had actually forced the house into some semblance of order. Well. Edy-order anyways. Looking around the teenager nibbled her lip nervously. What if Zariah and Loren didn’t agree to stay here? What if they had other plans? What if they didn’t want to be around her here?

What if

What if

What if

Filled with a sudden anxiety, the teenager threw herself into a bit more cleaning, making beds and in general trying to remove any obstacles that might give her family a reason to decline her offer. Finally when there was little more that she could do without more resources, Edy finally allowed herself to stop. Covered in a light sheen of sweat, her hair scattered even more wildly than it normally was, the teenager took a steadying but still slightly shaking breath.

She’d let Loren and Zariah know that she wanted them to meet her here around roughly this time.

All that was left to do was wait.

Edrei Launceleyn
loveable & obnoxious
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
Zariah was always timely. Either early or exactly on time. It was her nature. Of course, her two children were in tow. Beatrix walked next to her holding Jace's hand. The 3 year old was of serious disposition and well behaved, but he still needed someone to hang onto him as he was a toddler and prone to seeing something he found exciting and darting off. The age of her children still bothered Zariah. Jace a bit less so than Beatrix who had aged multiple years. It was disconcerting.

Even more disconcerting was where their missing family members were. It nagged at her mind almost constantly. Especially Neron...she looked over at Jace and smiled a little. He had to he somewhere, he just had to.

She looked around in surprise when they arrived at the home Edrei had asked to meet them at. Had she...been cleaning?! Unlike what Edrei thought, Zariah didn't think there was any tension between them anymore. That tiff had been so long ago it had long been buried. "I see you have been hard at work." She said.
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
Aging suddenly from 3 years of age to 9 was enough to mess with anyone's head, and Beatrix was no different. She had some memories, and she was very much aware of facts of her life as if she had lived through them normally, but there was a large span of nothingness in her memory. Let's just say mood swings and meltdowns were becoming pretty commonplace.

She held her little brother's hand as they walked to Edy's house. House, because nothing really felt like home anymore. "Is daddy gonna be here?" Jace asked her, having to sort of run to keep up. "I don't think so Jacey." Bea said sadly. "Auntie Edy will be there." She said, brightening her tone. "Auntie Edy!!" Jace squealed with excitement.

"Hi!" The two children said to Edrei when they arrived. "How come you're all shiney?" Bea asked.
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
Loren
not afraid to use every trick in the book

Loren had been a bit surprised to get the summons from Edrei. Well, actually, he wasn’t that surprised, but he wasn’t exactly sure what it was regarding, since the invitation had been sparse on details. Knowing Edy as he did—well, kind of, since despite the declaration that they were BFFs, they were still basically strangers—he knew how strongly she felt about the family coming together. While he was worried about the family, especially their missing members (except Neron, because his twin always landed on his feet somehow) the librarian also was fully convinced the Launceleyns would come out on top, as long as they stuck together. They were, unfortunately, bad about that, but maybe this new world would lead to new behaviors. Stranger things had happened, like coming here in the first place.

As he approached the designated area, he slowed, still not used to the sight of Beatrix being that age, or the sight of the other child accompanying Zariah. He still hadn’t asked the woman exactly how that had come about; there’d been too many other issues to prioritize over that. Still, he smiled—briefly, since he wasn’t ever capable of much more than that—at the children. "Hi Bea and...Jace, right?" He hated the uncertainty in his voice, but really, he had absolutely no idea who this boy was, or how they were related. He’d just shown up with Zariah, no explanation given. Nodding at Zariah, Loren turned to give Edy a brief hug. It was necessary: while he still wasn’t a fan of physical contact, he knew the younger Launceleyn would pout until he acknowledged her.

Greetings done, he disengaged from Edy and crossed his arms. "So why’d you call us all here?" If it was a bad reason, he’d probably just leave. Although they were family and BFFs or whatever, he didn’t have time for nonsense, not anymore; there were too many other things to do (that were much more enjoyable than dealing with his family) for him to waste even a moment. He knew he was being a bit curt, but everything here was so crazy that he was having trouble wrapping his mind around it all.

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Age: 28 | Height: 5'7 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
First to arrive was Zariah with Beatrix and .... some kid? Blinking Edy looked at them, before remembering herself and stepping aside to let the trio in. Offering Bea a wink and a grin (was it weird the kid was suddenly so big? Hadn't she just been....a ... it was all so hard to remember suddenly. A fog had descended over Edy's memories, and while it did feel a bit off that Bea was suddenly older, it also didn't in a hard to describe way), Edy glanced up at Z, then back down to the boy. Before she could say much more, Bea was speaking to her. Glancing down at the sheen of sweat on her skin, Edy grinned and cackled reaching out for the small child. "Because I'm meellttttinnngggggg." She wailed, reaching her arms around Bea and pantomiming some sort of dying and melting creature.

As Loren appeared and gave a name to the boy, Edy glanced up raising a brow skeptically. Was it surprising that Loren knew more than she did at any given time? Absolutely not. However in the wake of all this madness, this simple bit of knowledge felt like another nail in the coffin of their family bond. Was this another Launceleyn? Why had no one told Edy?

Giving Bea another quick squeeze, Edy rose. Loren offered her a quick hug, but it felt perfunctory at best. That she'd received any amount of physical contact from her distant relative should have been taken as a victory, but just now Edy was feeling more fragile than ever, and Loren's cursory attempt at closeness felt like an icicle in her side. Hugging him back and internally quaking as he pulled away and crossed his arms, Edy cleared her throat and glanced between the two elder members of her family.

"Well. Given...you know. All that has happened I thought maybe we could.." Uncharacteristically Edy both sounded and looked rather nervous. While she was the type to normally boisterously go after the things she wanted in the world, those things didn't normally require spotlighting her insecurities or feelings. "That maybe we should all live under one roof for now? This house is plenty big enough, and that way we're all together and it would make it easier for the others to find us?"

Pausing, Edy glanced between Z and Loren, trying to read their faces to see how they were going to react to her proposal.
Edrei Launceleyn
loveable & obnoxious
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
The boy in Zariah’s arms looked at Edrei wide-eyed, rather solemn given his age. Before much could be said between the two, though, Loren arrived. Jace perked up then, and reached for Loren, a smile rounding out his chubby cheeks. “Uncle Loren!” he said, perfectly enunciated. Unlike Beatrix, Jace skipped the baby talk phase. If Loren offered to take him, Zariah would pass the boy to him to be held. But the way that he and Edrei looked at Jace bothered her. Why did they not seem to recognize him? Sure he was a bit older than he had been, but he hadn’t grown near so much as Beatrix.

She remained quiet as Edrei stated her purpose for bringing them together. An eyebrow quirked at the proposition, not critically but in surprise. So that is why she had been cleaning like a mad woman – to make the offer more enticing. That was certainly a step in the right maturing direction. “I think it is a good idea for use to stay close together.” Zariah agreed quickly. Half of them were still missing, they needed the support the others offered in this rather confusing time.

“But…why is it that neither of you recognize Jace?” she asked, her brow furrowing a bit. The pieces just weren’t fitting together right.
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Beatrix laughed at Edrei’s antics, stepping behind her mother’s legs to hide from her reach. “No you’re not, people don’t melt, Edy!” she said, giggling through the words. She may have aged a lot, and was definitely suffering a bit from the effects of it, but Bea was still as sweet as ever. Then Loren arrived and she waved at her half-brother. Part of her hoped to see Astra or Neron come in too…but nobody followed. She frowned, her fingers curling into the skirt of her mother’s dress. Where had everyone gone?

Edrei asked if they all could live together, and that made her perk up a bit. Live with Edy? That would be so fun! But Bea didn’t really have a say, she wasn’t a grown up. So she looked up at her mother with big puppy eyes, hoping she would agree – and grinning brightly when she did.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Loren

As the boy was handed to him, the librarian took Jace without missing a beat; even Loren didn’t recognize the boy, it was clear—both from Zariah’s actions and Jace’s declaration of ‘Uncle Loren’—that they were family. Indeed, it seemed the two of them were close. However, that didn’t mean that Now, Loren hesitated, not quite sure how to respond to Zariah's question. Finally, he decided to just go with the truth. His words came out gently. ”Honestly, Zariah, it’s because I don’t recognize him. I assume I’ve met him, but my mind has no recollection of him. I honestly have no idea who he is.” Seeing as he was hanging on to the boy as he said that, the librarian gave Jace a sympathetic smile. ”I’m sorry. I’d very much like to get to know you.” But Loren wasn’t going to manufacture fake memories just to make Zariah and the boy feel better; if he tried, it would just end up hurting them in the end.

Speaking of hurting people in the end, Loren stared at Edrei for a long while before he finally sighed. ”I’m sorry, Edy, but I don’t think I can stay with you. I will move in next door, but for a variety of reasons, I think it’s best if we don’t actually live together. Please know that it’s nothing personal. I understand and support your reasoning, but I promise I will be here for you, and for the rest of the family,” he gave Zariah, Jace, and Beatrix nods before continuing, ”often and whenever you need me.” However, moving in wasn’t an option: the librarian would need his own space and he wasn’t going to compromise on that point. First, if he moved in, he had no doubt that Edrei, Zariah, Beatrix, and Jace would be wandering in and out and definitely wouldn’t respect his boundaries. As an introvert, that sounded like his nightmare. Moreover, there were certain activities—particularly of the physical kind—that he wanted to explore. It would be much harder to do so under the same roof as the children and his relatives.

Besides, he was an adult. As much as they might need him, he needed his independence as well. While he’d always be there for his family (which they could choose to believe or not), in this new world he felt more strongly than ever that he deserved a space of his own. And he wouldn’t, probably couldn’t, get that if he stayed so enmeshed with the rest of the Launceleyns.

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
Smirking, Edy raised an eyebrow at Beatrix. "Oh yeah? You're just sooooo clever aren't you?" The teenager said with a cackle. It actually was probably possible for someone to melt. Not like an ice cube or anything, but magic was magic, and though Edy's brand of it had nothing to do with anything quite so wishy-washy as changing the states of liquids, it was probably possible.

Glancing at Zariah, Edy was glad that Loren decided to field the question first. The younger of the adult Launceleyns had no idea who Jace was either, and as Loren said that he had no recollection, Edy nodded and shrugged in agreement. "I mean..I know things got a bit fuzzy.." Placing a hand on her hip, Edy frowned as she tried to recall. There was that bit about Koel of course, and then...just this sort of grey film. Sometimes she could see images in it, but it all seemed so far away. Like something she was trying to recall from a very, very long time ago. "But forgetting someone entirely?" Looking at Jace in Loren's arms, Edy stuck her tongue out playfully at the child, before looking back to Z with a confused twitch of her lips.

Then Loren began to speak.

I'm sorry, Edy.

Her heart dropped into her stomach, and immediately her teeth came together as she set her jaw so as not to let her lips wobble. He spoke, and though his voice didn't sound quite as curt as it had been only moments ago, it sounded all the more cold for it. They were in this new place, the family wasn't whole, and Loren wanted space. no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Feeling her hands begin to tremble slightly, Edy clasped them behind her back, digging her finger nails deep into her palms and inviting the skin there to open. The pain was a happy distraction from the shadow that had taken up residence in her heart and was settling over her stomach as well. What could she do? She could promise never to hug him again, to never mention the afternoon they'd spent in her bed. She'd vow to respect his space, and to not mess up his things and to–

–Edy's mind raced frantically as she tried to worry through a list that might be sufficient to keep the librarian around. Surely there was something, some way of making him stay? Her bones felt like they were rattling in her body as the need to keep her family crescendoed in her bones. Edy might have all but gotten down onto her knees to beg Loren to reconsider, until a phrase caught her entirely off guard. It's nothing personal. Immediately Edy's eyes flared as did her nostrils as she looked with wide-eyed shock from Loren, to Zariah, then back again. "Apparently not." She snapped, her nose crinkling slightly with the beginnings of a snarl. "Because if it was personal you'd set aside whatever reasons you have and be with your family. How many times did you say family first, and you wanted to rebuild and make us strong again back in Northaven?" Then, realizing the error of that phrase, she raised a hand to halt the librarian from continuing (a few beads of blood sliding down her dark skin. "I don't want to hear about how you've put the family first in the past, or how you've been wounded or whatever it is. This is something new. We don't know where we are or how we got here. Half the family is missing, and the ones who did make it?" Glancing towards Jace, Edy's gaze softened for a moment before turning back towards Loren, "We don't even remember. But if it's nothing personal then by all means. Glad to know that while I've been getting our house ready you've been getting your priorities in order. "
Edrei Launceleyn
loveable & obnoxious
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
They…they didn’t remember Jace at all? The boy didn’t seem to mind. If he fully comprehended, he certainly couldn’t have cared based on the way he snuggled his face into Loren’s neck. He wasn’t daddy but he was close enough. Zariah was frowning though, as she tried to comprehend what that meant. “You don’t remember Jace…do you remember I married Neron? You were both there…Or any of the changes I made?” she said, feeling concern rise in her chest. It seemed impossible but…if neither of them remembered these events…they had to be from slightly different points in time. Which meant…if they did find Neron…would he remember her as the woman who water boarded him into action or as his wife?

And then the bomb. Oh boy. Loren certainly didn’t mean to hurt Edrei in his decline, but she was definitely taking it personal – regardless of his insistence that it wasn’t. The tension in the room could have been cut with a knife it was so thick. “Edrei…please. Calm down.” She said in what would seem an uncharacteristically gentle tone, before turning her gaze to Loren. “If you are fine living next door, if you are fine helping as often as we need, then why not live here, Loren?” she said more directly. “Edrei is right. We need to stick together. This is a new world, with new possibilities, and we can’t hope to make something of this opportunity if we begin by fracturing and pushing each other away. You wanted me to change our customs for the better but we all grew up in a familial compound, which was the only truly good thing about our old ways. This makes sense.”

She paused, glancing between the two again. “Regardless, we can’t be reduced to fighting or personal affronts so soon.” She said, her gaze resting on Edrei. “In-fighting will get us nowhere. We have to stay focused on the task before us: rebuild and figure out where the others are.”
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
Beatrix’s eyes widened. They didn’t remember Jace? That was really…weird. Then again she couldn’t remember much of her own past anyways so…maybe it was something like that? It made her head hurt to think about. And her mom made a good point – did that mean they didn’t remember her and Neron getting married? Frankly she didn’t really remember it either but she knew it had happened. She knew Neron was her brother but was raising her because their dad had died; and sometimes she could call him dad like when she got real upset because a girl needed a daddy, that was what Neron told her. Was that all forgotten too?

Well this got uncomfortable real quick. Beatrix didn’t like when everyone fought. It made her feel weird inside and she didn’t like that feeling. It was much nicer when everyone just got along. The girl frowned and looked between Loren and Edrei. Were they really going to have a big fight over this? Loren was always kind of a butt to everyone except for her anyways. Why get mad about it?
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Finding a way to communicate why he didn’t want to live with the family without pissing Edrei off further would be difficult. It didn’t help that Zariah, instead of keeping the peace between them, seeming took Edy’s side. First, however, he had to address this nonsense about Zariah and Neron: he burst out laughing, doubling over as his side gained a stitch. When he straightened up, he wiped the tears from his eyes. His mirth had been a bit hysterical, but pure. ”Sorry. I’m sorry. It’s just...you and Neron. I mean...anyone with Neron, really…” and with that he was off again, chuckling madly, though more in control this time.

When he was finally and fully sober, he looked between the two women and the girl, weighing his options. Actually, no the Launceleyn compound hadn’t been great, not for him. Once again, Loren was reminded that while he loved his family, his upbringing had been so far from theirs that it was like he had grown up in a difference household entirely. Where they’d been praised, he’d been mocked; where’d they’d been trained, he’d been beaten; where they’d been placed on a pedestal, he’d been locked in his room without supper and a bed more times than he could count, bruised and bleeding and broken. That certainly chased away any lingering humor he might be feeling.

He could try to explain that he’d been an adult for a while, that he needed his space, that even now he felt like he wasn’t entirely a part of the family. Alternatively, he could try to argue that him living with three unmarried women—relatives though they be—would reflect poorly on them, even though the customs of Northaven certainly wouldn’t hold up here. There weren’t Hawthornes! But he didn’t do any of that. Instead, he met Edy’s eyes, hoping she would understand the depth of emotion there. He cared for his family, but he couldn’t do that effectively if he didn’t first care for himself. ”I’m seeing someone.” Or at least, he hoped he was: he and Remi hadn’t really connected since coming to this new world. But he wanted to see where seeing someone went, now that he had the freedom to do so. And he couldn’t do that with Edy and Zariah poking their noses into his business, and with Beatrix and Jace underfoot.

Edrei Launceleyn
the Rapacious

Change author:
COME THE FUCK AGAIN?

And not even in the good way.

Blinking, Edy's eyes widened as her jaw dropped. Turning to Loren (who apparently had laughing gas on the way over for how he was acting. Edy had hardly seen him smile for more than a few seconds much less be pitched over nearly in tears), Edy glanced back towards Zariah dumfounded.

"You got–" She stammered. Jealous? No. Edy didn't get jealous. She might be a bit possessive at times, but that was different. That just had to do with needed to be satiated. This was entirely different. This was just... "–to Neron."

Which was weirder? The marriage? Or that she and Loren were allegedly there?

Wait waitwaitwaitwaitwait. "So Jace is..." Oh. Holy. Fuck.

Wanting to latch on to something that made any amount of sense, Edy comically pointed at Zariah as she spoke, punctuating every word the woman offered in favour of Loren staying in the house with them. For a moment the librarian was silent and Edy was sure that he was buckling under the head's speech until–

–I’m seeing someone

"K?" Edy burst out, a palpable whoosh of relief coursing through her. Was that fucking it? Pffft. That was nothing! "So? You can have the basement. All to yourself. Sound proof the room and it'll all be alright? We don't have to be apart." Pleadingly she looked at Loren, her dark gaze scanning his and finding in it what appeared to be an unwavering decision.

'You're picking some hole over us?" For Edy all relationships were purely sexual, and, to be fair, what else could Loren really want the privacy for? Even Edy wouldn't have done that.

"Can't you just be here...and I'm sure they have their own place and you could still have your privacy but you'd still be here–" She tried again, her voice pathetically pleasing now without a single trace of her normally vivacious and energetic qualities.

Zariah had gotten married.

Loren was in a relationship.

Which meant Edy was now all alone.
Edrei Launceleyn
loveable & obnoxious
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah was trying very hard not to be offended by Loren's laughter. At least Edrei's shock was just shock, not mocking her or her husband who she did love. Huff. But Loren was his brother and siblings were entitled to their opinions about their siblings...she guessed. "Yes, we got married. Jace is our son. You were both at the wedding. You both knew about Jace..." she said matter of factly, her brow furrowing.

How was this possible? They still didn't know how they had gotten here after all. Zariah had a suspicion but... "What is the last major event you remember happening in Northwind?" She asked. That would at least help her place what they did or didn't know better.

Then Loren said he was seeing someone and she couldn't help the flat look he gave her. It was so unbelievable that she was married to Neron and yet somehow it made sense that Jack Frost himself somehow had a romantic interest? But she didn't comment on it. If someone could make Loren more...like he had a personality then more power to whoever. She glanced between him and Edrei as the younger woman argued that he should stay still.

"It could be a bit much for whoever to come into the Launceleyn family home if they have any clue about us." She said to Edrei gently. They weren't known as the most welcoming bunch. She could understand Loren wanting to keep some physical distance for whoever's sake. "I don't believe he is choosing anyone over anyone else, Edrei, just trying to find some balance. If he was nextdoor, that wouldn't be much different than sequestering him to a basement."