let’s make a deal
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
in the haze of hell i have dreamt
that you'd lift this wing and see,
that you are my first wound —
If Rexanna is being honest with herself, she’s not sure what she can offer for the release of Bastien from the Prison. She has some ideas, some roughly thrown together plans that might appeal to the Queen, but none that stand out to her and strike her as something worthwhile. She’s certain it will come to her once she’s there — her mind always works best when put in the situations rather than contemplating them. Nothing ever went according to plan, anyway. Her own time of being a secondary ruler had taught her as much. She hoped her mind would flux back toward the time there (hopefully with better results, of not being thrown in the dungeon and forced to watch the world burn) and she’d be able to find a compromise.

Her dark hair is tied back neatly, and she wears fine clothing she’d tailored for herself in the months she’d spent healing while everything around her changed. A dark hue of black with strips of white, accented with gold (her favorite color) adorned her body — with dark pants and comfortable boots. She didn’t need much else, and she hasn’t brought a lot to begin with. A small bag of fabric and the things she’d created with them. An extra bit, a boon.

Soon enough, she finds herself standing before the vine covered manor, and she raises a pale hand to knock upon the door, hoping deep down a deal could be made.
and that long ago,
in some distant past, with open eyes
i kissed you till it bled.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
You stare at the broken mirror
Shattered reflections of the past
I think we may be standing in the same
Shadows that have been cast
Rexanna’s knock was answered by one of the naturals who had supported Zariah’s rise to the throne. With quiet greetings and purpose exchanged, they would lead her into a main reception room. It was furnished with an impressive table and comfortable chairs, windows facing in the direction of the woods in the distance. For a Hollowed Grounds abode, it was quite ornate, though certainly humble compared to royal mansions in other worlds. The greeter approached Zariah, who stood by a window, whispering in her ear before departing.

Slowly, Zariah turned to look at her guest, her expression blank and eyes wide, doll-like, as always. Her wild curls framed her face, but the rest of her person was thin, and trim, garbed in tight fitting dark clothes, and a jacket with long tails and an exaggerated collar that stood straight about her neck. She stood tall and straight, her posture and person exuding exactly what a monarch ought; power, control, dominance. You did not need to know Zariah to know she was not someone to be played with.

”Rexanna Reyes. A pleasure to meet you.” she said softly, nodding her head to the woman. ”So I might know, tell me, are you a Destined, or Accepted? Attuned?” she asked, curious. She didn’t say Ascended since she clearly came out during the day without anything to protect her perfect porcelain skin. ”Please, have a seat. I hear you’ve a request for me. I hope you won’t mind if I stand.” she said, not moving from her spot near the window but gesturing to the many chairs she had to choose from.
ZARIAH

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
The entire ordeal seems so formal – seems so familiar, and the woman shrinks away internally at what comes next. She’s polite, calm, motivated, and answers the questions the guards have asked. Soon enough, she’s stepping through the hall into the reception room – immediately, her sapphire gaze slips toward the woman standing beside the window. And while Rexanna is and always will be a fan of ornate and beautiful things, she can’t stop to take it all in with so much on her mind. It feels like a trap, though it could be her past experiences talking.

A Prince, King, and a Queen.

And her, the sheep to follow and obey, to play the role she was meant to without realizing it.

If only she saw the flames before they had encompassed her home, had destroyed the pale ivory walls and the people within. If she lets herself, she can still hear their screams.

She inhales deeply and quietly, to settle herself and soothe her mind. Here, Rexanna is virtually a nobody. She has far less responsibility than she did then, and perhaps that’s for the better. Less people to fail when it truly mattered. And as she looks to Zariah, she sees the posture; she’s seen it in herself once too, and she can’t help but keep her posture the same. From a former monarch to the current monarch – she understands how appearances are important. She intends to make a good one.

As Zariah speaks her name, and nods her head to her, Rexanna dips into a curtsy. “A pleasure to meet you, too, my Queen.” It’s nearly an automatic response – as though Zariah’s posture and the opulence of the home had reverted her back to her previous self. And as Zariah asks her next question, Rexanna pauses for a moment. No one has told her what she was, but she knew the gods had forsaken her – she knew she had no animal living beneath her skin (because beneath her skin lie fire and flame, fury and destruction; creation and transforming) and she inhales to respond. “Destined, your Grace.” She replies easily, assuming that is what she is now.

If Zariah has any questions, she can prove it to her. But she doubts it will come to that. The Queen then offers her to sit, mentions she’s heard that Rexanna has a request, and she nods yet doesn’t sit. Instead, she adjusts the small little pack on her shoulder and offers the woman a soft smile. “I hope you don’t mind if I stand as well?” She pauses, before clearing her mind to begin. “I’ve come to ask if there is something I can do regarding the sentence given to Bastien De Rosieres?” She pauses to let the name register. “He caused a bit of a scene during the sign ups for the army, but if it’s possible I would like to know if there’s something he and I might be able to do for you for his release?

She doesn’t say anything else. She doesn’t want to offer everything on the table without hearing what Zariah might wish to receive for his release (provided she would to begin with).
and that long ago,
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah was tempted to raise a brow as Rexanna fell into a curtsey, called her my Queen. But she refrained. Clearly this woman is trained, she understands the workings of a court. It is a pleasant surprise, and in lieu of the raise of her brow she offers the tiniest of smiles. Yes, good behavior would get one far with this monarch, and so far Rexanna was making a good showing.

"A Destined? How lovely." she said, her voice like liquid velvet. Likely unknown to the other woman, that just elevated her from no one to person of interest. "What are your abilities, dear? How skilled are you in them?" she asks with interest, watching her like a cat watches a mouse. She was analyzing her every move, every expression, her tone of voice, the rate of her breathing, the look in her eye - was this an easy meal or did this require effort?

But when the woman states what she is actually there for, Zariah does raise a brow. "You are here regarding Bastien?" she said dryly, almost as if she didn't believe it. "I see, you must be the woman he made that statue for. No wonder he spoke so highly of you, you are clearly out and above his league by leaps and bounds." she said quietly. Zariah walked over to a side table, heels clicking on the floor, picking up a cup of spiced tea, gesturing to it should Rexanna wish for a cup as well. "He was given three warnings by my guard to fully comply and thrice he declined, and though I do not know what exactly he did write, it doesn't take a genius to discern it wasn't something flattering." she said,  stirring her tea absently, looking out the window. "Certainly a fool like that isn't worth your time, my dear?"
ZARIAH

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
Whether Zariah realizes it or not, Rexanna had spent most of the more recent time of her life being watched like a cat does to a mouse. And she’s well trained in keeping her emotions, her voice even, no flicker of a reaction as Zariah praises her. She wonders if Zariah, too, is an Abandoned and if so, what kind of magic the woman before her carries. She doesn’t ask, though, instead she turns the question back to her and Rexanna offers a gentle smile and small dip of her head. “Tramsutation, Fire, and Fireworks, your Grace.” She offers, but the next question she’s uncertain of how to answer. She isn’t particularly skilled, but they have always helped her when she needed it the most. “I haven’t trained much with them, I arrived here with it last Leafchange.” The information is easy to give, but as though she wishes to prove it to the Queen, she opens her hand palm up and sparks a tiny firework in her hand before it vanishes without a trace.

Her sapphire gaze then slips toward the Queen, aiming to gauge a reaction yet Rexanna’s pale face makes no indication that is what she’s doing. Instead, she lets the conversation shift toward Bastien and the reason she’s here, and she listens – quietly amused at the flattery Zariah gives her. But she doesn’t agree – her head lifts in a small tilt, having not known of the statue but not mentioning it. “You’re very kind.” She offers in response to her compliment – a small dip of her head follows suit. But then Zariah speaks of what Bastien did, and she listens with a blank face. She can’t deny any of it, it sounds exactly like something Bastien would do.

But she doesn’t agree with Zariah’s idea that Bastien means nothing to her. If anything, he would be beneficial to her cause. All it would take would be Rexanna keeping him in line. And she has, time and time again. She offers Zariah a bright smile in response, a light roll of her shoulders in a shrug. “I’m not quite done with him yet.” She begins, her reasons a secret that Zariah needn’t know. “He’s a work in progress, if you will.” A light laugh accompanies the description before she folds her hands and sets them in front of her as she regards the Queen once again.

If he is to be released, I can ensure his enlistment and training for the army and keep him in line. As for services for you, I am a bit of a seamstress myself and can offer my abilities with that in addition to his release.” Her voice is even, soft, not in the least bit hopeful (at least outwardly, internally she hopes her offering is enough) and she waits with a blank face for Zariah’s response.
and that long ago,
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
"Fireworks?" Zariah said, raising a brow at her, the first crack in her perfect porcelain mask. But this was at least called for. Fireworks were things, not a class of magic after all. But when Rexanna showed what she meant, the perfectly arched brow fell back in place. "Ah, I see. A very limited class of creation. Very interesting." she said thoughtfully. It was interesting to Zariah, and a twist on something old she had not seen before.

The Queen listened quietly as Rexanna made her case. A work in progress. She could keep him in line. Pretty clothes. As the woman spoke, Zariah watched her with her blank, doll-like expression, revealling none of what she thought. "Clothes are all well and good, Rexanna, but they are hardly what I need." she said, slowly approaching her, each step punctuated by a click of her heel. She wasn't so much walking as stalking, cat deciding to move in for the kill. "What I need is support."

She stopped directly in front of Rexanna. For a moment she just stared at the shorter woman, allowing her to sit in the anxiousness she was certainly feeling. At length, she lifted a hand to cup Rex's chin between her index finger and thumb, slowly turning her face side to side, as if to examine her. "Such a beautiful countenance, such unusual talent, and such impeccable manners. Certainly one such as you could convince a great many people to follow me, don't you think?" she said, her magic imparting the suggestion into the woman's subconscious.
ZARIAH

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
A part of her relishes in the fact that Zariah raises her brow. Of course, Rexanna has only showed her the basics – a sparkler-like creation rather than the full bloom of what she could do. But she prefers to keep it that way, and tucks her hands away after the explanation. And when Zariah speaks, Rexanna knows that her minimal offering isn’t enough. She hadn’t particularly thought it would, but she’d hoped it might be. She didn’t know Zariah, she didn’t know what kind of queen she was dealing with.

And as she approaches, Rexanna realizes what kind of Queen she really is. If she’s being honest with herself, the idea of supporting her is tantalizing in a way. But it also hits far closer to home than she had hoped for. She hadn’t wanted to be a part of a Kingdom, let alone to rule two, and here she is in another world, part of another piece. Her face doesn’t change, not as Zariah looks down on her (though it’s not the first time she’d been looked down on, a certain man with large bird of prey wings flashes before her mind) and it doesn’t frighten her.

She actually reminds her of her ex-husband in a way.

Her head tilts side to side, and she listens as Zariah praises her more – the suggestion Zariah gives her has already been on the back of her mind as a last effort. She will agree, provided Bastien go free. This is something she will not back down on. “Release Bastien;” She says, voice a bit stronger as though it were imperative. “And my services shall be yours, your Grace.” It feels like déjà vu for Rexanna.

She has been here before.

And she will be here again.

She hopes Bastien forgives her.
and that long ago,
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
She is so pitiful in a way, nothing more than a malleable lump of putty in her hands. So willing to comply, so willing to give it all away, just for one pathetic upstart Ascended. It was the sort of love that made one weak, the sort of love that reveled in the most selfish aspects of affection. It was a sort that Zariah was not capable of feeling or understanding, so ingrained in the Launceleyn teachings as she was. She knew without a doubt that Neron would never give away so much for her, nor she him, nor any Launceleyn for any they loved, if it did not align with the ultimate goal. Such a shame that so many so willingly gave away everything for a mere moment of happiness, to lose one’s future prosperity for a glimpse of bliss.

”Your words are nice, my dear, but I should like your word bound by more than that.” she said, a small, wicked smile curving her lips. ”I shall indeed release Bastien, as soon as you kneel and swear your undying fealty to me, bound by an unbreakable oath in magic.” she said, planting in her mind with magic the suggestion that such a bond was possible in this world. Let her believe for all her days that she could be tied to servitude by some curse. Already, Zariah used her life drain to pull at her energy, as if draining her will to act out as well. Illusions could be made by any magic user after all if they were creative.

”Do so now, Rexanna.” she ordered.
ZARIAH

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
If Rexanna could hear Zariah’s thoughts on the matter, she would pity the Queen. For far too long the woman has spent focusing on the future and prosperity, of keeping the peace and ruling the nations; but none of it mattered. Power is fleeting, it comes and goes like the ebb and flow of the ocean; and when it’s gone what good was it to have spent the years focusing on a future that wouldn’t happen? Upon her entry to Caido, she vowed to herself to change — to not be afraid of not planning the future, and so many wonderful things had happened since then. From that day until now, Rexanna has decided that focusing on the day by day worked the best in her favor.

But she doesn’t hear the Queen’s thoughts; instead only has her own (in a sense) and the words that Zariah mentions in an undying oath bound by magic; and for a moment she’s partially frightened by it, but she realizes that magical oaths here are different from those back home — and with the things gifted to her and cursed upon her only to be taken back and rewarded (granted by a divine interference of course) she isn’t afraid any longer. She silently prays that Frey forgives her for falling into the same trap, for sacrificing herself for another; but she hopes this time its worth it. And so, inhaling deeply Rexanna kneels and bows her head — reverting to the servant she once was (a servant elevated to princess, and to queen for a time, she wonders if Zariahs reign will end as hers did) and she begins to swear the oath.

I, Rexanna Reyes of Halyven, promise on my faith that I will be faithful to my Queen, Zariah Launceleyn, and all those within her reign; I promise to never cause her harm, to serve the Crown to the best of my ability in good faith and without deceit.” It feels almost recited, the way it falls from her tongue. In another world, another life, she had sworn it to another tyrant. She hopes this ends better than that for her. She remains knelt on the floor, head bowed until Zariah tells her to stand. There’s nothing else she can do now other than wait.
and that long ago,
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
The words Rexanna speaks send a shiver down Zariah’s spine, though she does not move an inch. Instead she just watches and revels in the pure joy of this moment of supplication, finally coming from someone not from her family. Never again would her house kneel to another. Never again would they obey the orders of fattened, spoilt, brainless brats adorned in jewels. Now, in this place, the House Launceleyn would become the powerful leader it was always meant to be.

”Rise.” Zariah says when she is through, once again placing her fingers under the younger woman’s chin. For a moment she just smiles down at her, wickedness oozing from every fiber of her being. ”I should think there no reason to tell anyone of this little arrangement we have, don’t you think?” she said, again suffusing the woman with her suggestivity magic. ”So I shan’t worry about your tongue loosening to say it. Go collect your Bastien from the prison, and make haste in spreading the word of my good reign. How reasonable and qualified I am. How much the people’s best interest is at the heart of my actions. Sing the praises of the House Launceleyn to all, dear girl.” Zariah said, removing her hand then, still grinning wickedly as she allowed Rex to leave.
ZARIAH

Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She rises when Zariah tells her to – like the ever obedient servant for the Queen, and listens to the suggestion Zariah places. “As you wish, your Grace.” She replies, listening to the command from Zariah before the woman tells her to go and get Bastien and begin to spread the news of Zariah’s reign to everyone. She nods to the Queen, dips into yet another curtsy, and grabs her bag of things before turning on her heal to leave. First things first, she has to get Bastien. She makes it her first priority.

At least she doesn’t have to live at the Manor – under lock and key, a memory from Asciend that she chooses to refrain from. And she feels lucky, in part, that Zariah hadn’t asked about her history with crowns and monarchies. She doesn’t want to have to explain everything that had happened, everything she didn’t have and suddenly did, everything she’d lost in the end. She sucks in a breath, sighing quietly to herself and shoulders her pack as she leaves and heads toward the Prison.
and that long ago,