[Open] Keeper, not reaper.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Among all that was strange and curious stood Are behind heaping helpings of the mundane. "Shoes, belts, bags, and furs!" he shouted for the umpteenth time that day. Truly a test of his mettle it was, not the kind the would-be warrior had hoped for, but one he had to endure would he want to eat in the coming weeks. Even in the shade of the awning the heat was almost unbearable. Still, with a head pounding from the previous day and a welcoming smile he peddled his wares to what little people filtered through. Not one of his customers wanted to talk about shoes though, far more important things was on peoples minds than exquisite stitches and soft leather. Not even the weather could hold a conversation up for more than a fleeting moment or two, always it steered towards the same thing, the Queen. Grumbles, mumbles, and murmurs he tried to ignore. Keeping one's head down seemed like the best way to have it stay on one's shoulders.

Other things required his attention, his full attention. Being drafted was not on that short list of things needing attention though, and he knew it was only a matter of time before he was to be pressed into duty, ready or not. Not that it bothered Are all too much, he was confident a combination of quick thinking and a display of excellent craftsmanship would make any draftsman see that his worth was far greater at the workbench than the battlefield. Still left a niggling worry in his gut though, previous experiences with royalty had left a sour taste in his mouth. Although the lack of religious differences kept him hopeful it wouldn't be as bad as before, and kept him from acting on the more brash of his ideas.

A right bother it was, still, but one better left for later. He had shoes to sell and soldiering to practice. Worst came to worst he knew he could make the best of what he had, and there was no use worrying about what-ifs. Focusing on what was, discipline, just what the captain ordered. "Heill! What can I do you for?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The world was changing yet again, but in the midst of it all people still needed to eat, to drink, to sleep, to protect themselves from the weather, and do all those little things that made life keep ticking. Amidst the rise and fall of barriers and tyrants, of gods and Gods, of meeting new cultures and clashing with them in the same breath, the basic necessities continued to be needed. Beyond that, though, were those things that were less necessary in the short term, but still important in the long term. And the activities pursuing such projects might hide more than they seemed from the outside.

One project in particular had been much on Jigano's mind of late, and so he had made his way to the Artisan's Guild to take a curious wander through the wares on display, seeking artisans of particular skills - carpenters, stonemasons, ironmongers - but finding instead...

Are.

It had been quite some time since he'd seen the belligerent cobbler, but the man seemed to doing well for himself, with a table full of wares in all the varying shades of leather that ranged from brown to more brown. Jigano could at last appreciate the man's skill with his own eyes, and he paused to examine a belt, a wry smile quirking the corner of his mouth. He wasn't sure if Are had made the improvements had had promised to prove in their last awkward conversation, but perhaps he wasn't giving the man enough credit. Certainly he had been working hard at his craft, and that mattered more than a devotion to simple violence!

"Greetings, son of Jorm," he said courteously, stepping fully around to the front of the table. "I'm looking for a waterproofed leather satchel, about this big--" he measured with his hands, "--with a number of pockets for writing utensils and ink, and enough space in the main pouch for a journal. Do you have anything like that?"
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"Jigano." Are said and offered a curt little bow towards the man he'd hope to keep avoiding. Although, hiding in a shop and shutting the world out wouldn't better oneself past 'building character' as his mother had so liked to say. Would've been useful though, confrontation had never been Are's strong suit, and keeping a veneer of cold pleasantry was well and truly beyond the man. Why was it that he had trained for everything but what he sorely needed in that moment. A modicum of tact.

Thankfully the bard, unknowingly or otherwise, choose not to linger on that uneasy greeting but instead launched into discussion on a matter far mor suitable to Are's peculiar state of mind. The smile, whatever it had meant, faded quickly from the craftsman's mind as he exchanged it for the item described to him. The requirements rattled off by one not savvy to all the particulars of the trade seemed reasonable enough, except that one thing his custom orders all seemed to have in common. Waterproof.

It would have taken that modicum of tact to be a better man and neither dwell on the past nor sneer at the simple request of making a living material impermeable. A sigh, a lean, and a slight rub of the bridge of his nose had to do. Both as an answer in the moment and as a good pose for a short think. Another sigh, as much as he wanted to mock a layman, to finally be on the other end of it, his curiosity was piqued and he resigned himself to that better man he promised to be.

"Waterproof? he asked, as if it hadn't been clear enough the first time around. Are shook his head, he knew full well what the scholar-bard was asking for and it brought up tender memories of shelved projects needing a revisit. "Are you planning on taking a swim or content with being drenched from above? Are said, eyeing Jigano as if to deduce what kind of trouble he was planning on dragging a poor satchel through.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
The bow was curt enough to raise that slender brow, though the bard let the slight slide off him. When last they had parted, Are had seemed determined to earn his friendship by proving he could be a more patient and better man. It seemed that, somewhere along the line, that desire to mend bridges had not only soured but the vow had been abandoned. It was not what Jigano would have wanted... but it made his previous frustration with the man unfortunately vindicated.

Damn, but there were times he regretted being right.

Well, there was nothing for it now, and with Rory busy with the farm he hated to bother his friend for the work he needed... though if Are insisted on being rude, at least he had another option to pursue. The way Are heaved his theatrical sigh earned only the barest quirk of that brow before Jigano smoothed his expression again back to neutral courtesy.

"Waterproof, as much as possible," he confirmed. "As it isn't for me, I can't say what the owner will do with it, though being caught in the rain is always a possibility, and one I'm trying to protect their supplies from. Although I doubt they'll be taking a swim with it intentionally, if they need to ford a river and it gets splashed, I'd like a bit more resistance. It doesn't need to be completely watertight; I'm assuming it won't be getting dunked underwater for any length of time. But the tighter the seams the better, just in case." He shrugged lightly, a small smile curving his lips that didn't quite reach his eyes. "If that isn't something you can do, of course, or if you'd rather I take my custom elsewhere, I will cease bothering you. You seem quite busy today, and I'd hate to hold up your other clients."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:
Forgive and forget, sure was a pair of fine words but so much harder to actually follow. Especially for Are, especially after starting down a path henknew Jigano wouldn't approve of. Not that Are needed his approval, he was strong, he was a mighty warrior staring down any and all enemies come challenge the right way. He was a bastion of justice and fought for all that was good in the world, what little was left. He was... Was a better man letting simple lies overcome the search of the hard truths. One such being that he'd shut a great many doors mooring his ship at the Steadman's harbour, not that many said it outright, but he could see the way they where all eying him. One day it would all weigh over, when his usefulness as a craftsman was outweighed by the plethora of labels he was gathering.

An outlander dog with nothing but shoes and a smile left to offer. At least it was something. So he did. A sigh and a smile, making amends was not his strong suit, evidently, but with the rising unrest there was no use in making more enemies.

"Can do." he answered quickly and nodded, the details of it all churning in his mind. "Although... Are said, pausing and holding up a finger. "It seems I, for once, am one step ahead." the cobbler said with another smile, a triumphant one. From a chest in the back of his stand he produced an exeedingly pale satchel, not far from Jigano's specifications, although a tad larger. Are set it down on the table and nodded proudly. The glossy sheen of the piece caught the light and seemed almost metallic in it's polish. "Large compartment, several smaller dividers, pockets and places to stick any odds and ends one might need. An oilcloth lined external one for any writing doodads, padded also. The whole affair took me a fortnight, and that was mostly splitting and polishing, cordovan you see. Cost me a fair dozen shoes for the stock, but only thing this watertight and tough unless you'd want wax hardened." Are made sure he properly showed off his handiwork as he spoke, his eyes ablaze with pride. "'Fraid this one's called for though, but I've gotten enough practice now the next one will be perfect!"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
After the chill of his initial greeting and the gruffness of his response to Jigano's request, the bard hadn't expected Are to suddenly switch tactics and smile... but, as he recalled from their last conversation, the cobbler had a tendency to go swiftly from sad to happy, from rage to tears, and back again with little warning. Given how their initial interactions today had gone, he didn't trust that smile, but in the name of courtesy and tact he pretended he did, and smiled back when the craftsman said that it was possible to fulfill the lorekeeper's commission.

Jigano merely raised a brow at the finger that was held up, reserving judgment until he saw what the cobbler had in store. The satchel that was produced was indeed similar to the design he had asked for, and his skepticism fell away as Are proudly displayed. He nodded with admiration, ungrudging in spite of the source of the craftsmanship. "A fine piece indeed, and yes, very similar to what I would like as well. A fortnight sounds fair for the complexity of the project, assuming you have the materials that you need on hand...?" he asked tentatively, uncertain whether Are did have the leather available, given how many shoes the other other bag had taken. "What kind of animals do you get your leather from?"
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:
A quick mental stock told him he would have enough, a little tweaking of the pattern would be necessary, but Are had that in mind anyways. Always improving, no one project was ever truly finished until it had been done over and over. He reminded himself of another saying, 'do it not 'til you get it right, but 'til you can't get it wrong'. Like any and all shreds of wisdom he was reminded off he was unsure exactly who he had heard it from. Probably another one of his father's sayings.

Both the memories of what was and the talk of his work did a good job of soothing him, smoothing over any abrasive moodiness he might've otherwise done a bad job hiding.

"Got what I need. Half will still need splitting though, hence the fortnight, got enough stock to keep me going while I'm busy with it too." he answered, somewhat perplexed by the bard's sudden interest in his craft. Not that he complained or had any actual reason to be suspicious, yet there was that niggling doubt. As always.

"Depends. This..." Are said and slapped the satchel. "Horse. The rump, more specifically, the back part, tanned and split to the lower part of the leather. No holes that way, makes for that magnificent sheen, durability, and as water-tight as they come, lest you harden it."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
He nodded in relief, glad Are had the materials already available, though he wasn't sure what 'splitting' meant. Still, the cobbler was the master of his own craft, and Jigano was willing to trust him when it came to leather and shoes, belts and bags. From the cratsmanship he'd seen of the other items in the stall, it was something well-practiced and well-trained. "I'm glad to hear that," he said politely, even more glad that the rocky conversation was smoothing out. He hadn't come looking for a fight today; when last the cobbler had approached him it had been while the bard was still heartsore and angry from the barrier's fall and the wounds they all had taken, both internal and external. And Are's insults were still fresh in his mind then, too, his temper frayed and patience in short supply.

Time had allowed much of that to scab over, and for the rawness of the pain to fade. He had not forgotten, but he was more focused now on moving forward than lingering over past slights. Still, he couldn't help but raise a brow at the animal of choice. "As rare as horses are here, I'm surprised you were able to get one for leather," he admitted, with a low whistle. He wasn't sure he'd even seen a true horse, outside of an Attuned. Even Rory only had sturdy ponies, and their help was in high demand around planting season with so few of the creatures surviving the harsh conditions of the Hollowed Grounds.

"What are you running in trade for the work?" he asked at last, that most important of questions. "Were you able to find a house to fix up?" A polite inquiry, perhaps related to his question on price, perhaps not. He had seen little of the odd man, and had no idea what his current status was - though obviously he was working hard at his craft, and settling into a cobbler-sized hole in the bazaar.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:
Focus was good, productive, and kept him from letting his mouth flap idly about things that didn't matter, or worse; about things that did. A proud craftsman never let a chance to brag about his wares slip him by, but a good one let them talk for themselves, as to not let slip any errant details better left a  mystery. Specifically 'the magic in the mundane' as his father had liked to muse about, some sort of belief that common folk was better left in awe than in the know. A touch too protective of the craft for Are, so instead he was more than happy to spill the intricacies of his work to any listeners, patient or not.

"I've got enough of a word going I know when the possibility presents itself, farmer's usually thankful, usually. Raw hides don't cost me much either way, especially not when I do all the work myself." Are explained with a dismissive shrug the, to him, just another part of a day's work. "It's rare though, and to get one in a condition like this is my luck done for the year. Could've made a fortune of it back home." he mumbled to himself, reminiscing about a past a lifetime away, but all so fresh in memory.

Finally they arrived at the logical end-point of a transaction, even in a place without jangling currency it always came down to price. Are smiled, not wry, not mischievous nor with any ill-will in the mottled eyes, but a touch of genuine pride and joy. "Usually this would keep me fed for a month, even working as hard as I am. Although seeing as I owe you far more than a month of a full belly I'd just ask you to strike it of my tab. Consider it partial payment for services rendered if you will. Disagreement does not render debts moot."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Jigano was always ready to learn more about a craft, skill or piece of history. His curiosity was nigh insatiable, and had led him to become the man he was today. Even if he lacked the physical strength or dexterity - or simple muscle memory - to perform such a job himself, he still enjoyed learning about it, tucking the information away in case he met someone later one who could make better use of the knowledge. Are's words of a network of connections with the naturals eased some of his concern over the lingering tensions between the native folk and outlanders, though. If the local farmers were really upset with outlanders - and with those who had supported Roana during the siege of the Spire - they would have been sending their beasts to local leatherworkers, like Rory, for processing. If they were cozy enough with Are to give him dibs on such rare materials, then it boded well for the healing process between the two peoples.

"Fortunes don't mean as much here," Jigano agreed wryly, with a little tilt of his head. "I was used to a mix of money and barter back on my world... money in the cities and larger towns, barter in the smaller villages and hamlets, as often as not. Switching to a system of full barter has been... difficult. My skills are in the realm of the less tangible than finished goods like these." 'Entertainment' in the shape of stories and songs, histories and research, was a luxury few had time or energy for within the Hollowed Grounds... though the influx of Outlanders more used to such things made it a bit easier.

One silver brow raised in surprise at the unexpected graciousness of Are's offer, and Jigano placed a hand to his heart and offered the cobbler a half-bow of pleased respect. "Given the gruffness of your greeting, I had been uncertain of that," he admitted. "But I'm glad and grateful to hear it." He paused, a thoughtful look coming over his face as he surveyed the stall and its owner with an appraising eye, adding this new dimension of Are to his opinion of the man. "Your friend..." he said slowly. "The woman you were looking for when you arrived... have you had any luck in finding her?"
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:
Are nodded in agreement with Jigano's statement, whatever fortunes one could amass was all for naught when there was nothing to spend it on. Resources better spent greasing palms and sweetening pots to keep what little goodwill an outlander could expect topped up. Spending it like there was no tomorrow pained the cobbler, but he knew there would be no pardon for him when competition resurfaced. Equal parts steady, reliable output and magnificent one-offs was the only way he knew how to make enough of a mark to get on people's good side. 'Won in drops, lost in buckets', as the saying went, although Are couldn't remember if it was something he'd heard in Caido or Midgård.

The touch of humble realism reminded Are, a storyteller, a skald, with the same exact troubles. Something a less stubborn man would admit to changing his view of the silver-haired scholar, but stubbornness iron-shod by certain company and training refused to relent. At least at that moment.

"Songs and stories are needed still." Are said, mumbling uncharacteristically laconic, as if giving another inch was an unthinkable action of defeat suddenly. "We might not agree, but I'm not dishonorable, doesn't befit the warrior, no?" he grumbled in response, but bit his tongue as the worries in his mind grew. Genuine as Jigano seemed, Are still kept a little nugget of niggling doubt that it wasn't part of some grand scheme. Then came the dagger.

But instead of it being like ice the metaphorical steel threw a spark, one left smoldering as his heart stung with the memories rushing back. "Signe." Are said through gritted teeth behind pinched lips, tentative friendliness trickling out of the little hole. Eyes searched, putting the mind to work with finding a single sign of the plot he knew was there. "My wife...And no, not yet."
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Another change in the man: he had been garrulous before, both when Jigano had first met him and later, in the bar. He still was when it came to his craft, but beyond that he had gone uncharacteristically terse and tense. The bard had initially attributed it to the tongue-lashing he'd delivered in their last meeting souring things between them, though when he had left it had been with Are still professing his belief that they were friends and sounding like he intended to earn Jigano's respect back. His words, however, caught the lorekeeper's attention, and that white-haired head tilted to the side curiously as he chased this new prey.

"What is it that we don't agree on, Are?" he asked, genuinely curious. Aside from parting on poor terms after the cobbler had let his quick tongue and ire fly, Jigano thought he'd gotten through to the man. Or had all the beer rendered their discussion moot?

"Ah, good, I'm glad you found her name. That will make the search easier, I hope." That, at least, he could offer sincerely. "Take heart, though. Ianto was dropped beyond the Barrier, and it sounds as though other outlanders have been as well. I will hope that she was, as well, and that you may yet reunite with her, out in the lands beyond the Woods."
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:
The tone of his voice had Are's latent anger simmering back down to a mere petty divisiveness, a need to not give in to whatever machinations he thought was afoot. The question itself was a whole 'nother matter entirely to the warrior though, and he straightened his back enough to take advantage of not even full handbreath he had on the bard, mustering what little resolve Roana has managed to coax out of him and show existed. Not that it was any difference from the stubbornness he so wrestled with on the regular, not to him.

"The barrier, and more I reckon." Are said, crossing his arms and biting his tongue to keep it in check. Last place to let slip what he had blurted out while drunk with the captain, foolish to say the least, but foolishness cemented by the words of an immortal. Just thinking about it sent a shiver down Are's spine.

"We'll find each other some day, 'til then, I search, and remember." he answered as deadpan as he could manage, not savvy to the fact his lack of emotion betrayed his actual feelings far more than showing them had. A heartache he so desperately tried turning into purpose, into turnshoes, axe swings, and a raised stone.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
"Ahhh," Jigano said softly, tilting his head at the cobbler with a sad edge to his smile. "When last we spoke it sounded as though you had changed your mind on that. I admit, I'm sorry to see you changed it back so quickly, though... I can understand that. What was the word you used for your conquerors... 'kristinn', was it? To do unto others what was done unto you... it is the easier path by far than to try and forge a new one through uncharted territory." Easier, too, than atoning for mistakes made. So much, it would seem, for teary-eyed promises and heartfelt apologies.

The bard simply nodded at the cobbler's insistence that he would continue searching for his wife, respecting that much, at least, though if Are continued to show the same lack of resolve in keeping his promises to others as he did to the lorekeeper, Jigano didn't hold out much hope for the lady. "I will say a prayer for your success when next I visit the shrine," he murmured courteously, offering the cobbler a small half-bow. "Hopefully the ban on travel into the Woods will be lifted soon so you can continue your search for her."