Peaceful Protest
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Emmett was carrying fresh produce to his market stall when his eyes fell on the notice. On his first read-through he assumed it had to be a joke, but...he began to notice people whispering, eyes flicking back to the notice board with a mix of different reactions. Anger, fear, humour...it was for real, so he dropped his things off then came back to read it again and again.

Who the fuck was this Zariah to come in and declare herself queen? Did she think cos she was some fancy Outlander she had the right to be in charge? Emmett knew exactly where he wanted to tell her to stick that. He looked about, amazed that no one was marching in the streets yet. They could take her, right? Hell, he might be able to one-on-one. Not that he knew Zariah well, but he'd wrassled people before and been fine...

Equipped with too much anger and confidence for his own good, he grabbed his axe and set off to the Launcelyn manor. Anyone who saw him approach might have thought he was going to cut the place and everyone inside in two, but at about 10 paces from the door he stopped and sat down, crossed legged, with his axe laid flat on the ground before him.

The plan was simple. His father had done the same years before to solve a farmer's building dispute. He would not move until Zariah agreed to talk or fight. Whichever came sooner. Hopefully, news might spread and others might join.

He sat, hands on his knees, and waited.
Emmett
The sun went down beyond yon hill, across the dreary moor
Weary and lame a boy there came up to the farmer's door
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
cigarettes, the taste of whiskey on your lips
still haunting my every kiss - do you remember it?
Zariah’s eyes narrowed. Who was this little peasant shit on her lawn?

She watched him for a long time, hours perhaps even. Her patience occasionally knew now bounds as she just…waited. For something. Anything. But nothing. No one joined him. He just sat there dumbly, staring at her door. He didn’t even try to hack it down with his axe. He didn’t even knock. It was pure happenstance that Jace pointed out the man outside through the window, otherwise she wouldn’t have even noticed him there. This was a level of stupid she had not encountered before.

Eventually – and truly eventually because based on the sun position significant time had passed – she finally moved, venturing to her door. She stepped outside, standing on the top of the staircase, leaning against the door frame. Zariah crossed her arms, tilting her head to the side, watching him with her signature blank, doll-like gaze. And for a time, that was all she did – stare. ”I take it you are not here for a picnic?” she said at length, still unsure what to make of this weird piece of work.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It was quite a while later when something actually came of his actions, but Emmett kept his resolve sheerly through the anger he felt and the quiet panic in him. He didn't know what else to do. As he sat there he realised this likely was not a great plan, that he had no real goal, but...he had to do something, and he couldn't stop now that he'd begun.

He stared back at Zariah until she spoke. She didn't look like a horrible dictator, yet her notice sure had made her sound like one.

As she spoke he stood, holding his axe loosely in his hand. "No, I ain'. I'm here to ask--" Emmett took a breath. This was the moment where he decided what the next part of his life was going to be like, he knew, but the anger took over. "--What the fuck you think y'doing, declarin' yourself leader of the Hallowed Grounds and alla that. In case you didn' know, there's others who've been here far longer than you, and we ain' just gonna bow down and take it. Actually come and talk to us, y'goddamn coward."

Spontaneous, emotional rant over he simply stood staring, his mouth drawn into a tight line.
Emmett
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
Zariah quirked a brow, but that was the only sign that his sudden rant may have elicited any emotion in her.

She continued to stare at him in silence, even after he fell silent himself. Really she should smite the little shit for speaking to her as he did. He had no right. Who was he anyways? Some little, no name peasant boy from a no name family with a no name history who did nothing of significant note in the 300 years of confinement they had endured? But, then again, she could use this to her advantage. There weren’t enough Destined yet to rule them alone. Besides, servants were always needed.

”Has it occurred to you that I did not declare myself queen, so much as I accepted the position?” she said calmly, hoping to throw him off with her demeanor and question. ”You see, most of the people who support me were born here. They saw a need for a leader with experience – experience greater than that of any one of their brethren. They heard that I was the head of a mighty family in my homeland, one that had enough members to constitute a whole city. They knew I had seen government highs and lows and knew the strategies needed to strengthen a community, and asked that I step up and help guide the Hollowed Grounds to prosperity for all.” She said, pausing to let that soak in.

”If you read my notice fully, everything I have begun working on is to bring unity to all, and strengthen this place. And as far as coming and talking to you, I did post times when I am open to hearing qualms and suggestions.” she said, straightening where she stood. ”So then. Since you obviously have an array of opinions, why don’t you present them to me, so I might assuage your concerns.” she said, voice like velvet, soothing, calming. ”In fact, would you like to come in and sit? It is far more comfortable.”
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
The thought had indeed not occurred to Emmett and he rejected it as soon as he heard it. There was no way, no way, that Naturals were happy about this. That they had let an Outlander rule because she was sooo much better than them. The whole story stunk of Outlander perspective and delusion and it was clear on his face he did not think much to it.

No matter how calming her voice was, he couldn't be so easily subdued. "I wan' you to show me a single bloody Natural who agrees with this. Jus' one. We aren' stupid, you know. We don' need someone from somewhere else t'come and rule for us -- jus' cos you have experience somewhere else don' mean it applies here."

His grip tightened on his axe. "And cos I'm not stupid, I ain' going in there. In a confined space with you and all y'cronies? Fuck no. No, I'm just gonna stand here and tell you that I might be easy t'get rid of, but the trouble you're gonna whip up with alla this ain'. This won' last, and y'should get out before you end up dead."
Emmett

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Offline
Change author:
"You callin' me stupid, Palmer?" came a low, gravely voice from the other side of the courtyard. Walking up to Emmett and Zariah was a middle-aged fellow, a Natural man who was well enough known - let's call him N.P. Crane - and a well-known Destined Abandoned in the community. He lumbered up, crossing his arms as he looked between the two. He offered a slight bow to Zariah, mumbling a 'your highness' in her direction before looking back at the axe wielding farm-boy once again.

"Yer just like yer old man, boy, spoutin' off shit like you somehow know everythin' about everythin' and everyone." he groused at him, brows furrowed. "It ain't yer problem, bein' Attuned an' all, but folk like me are sick of bearin' the burden of the punishment of one magic user o're three hundred years ago. I ain't never done a man wrong, I work hard, and wut 'cause some stupid Acquired all those years ago pissed off the gods now everyone things folk like me are less then? Rotten? Pah!" N.P. Crane turned his head to the side and spat, clearly less than happy.

"Open yer eyes boy. This' ain't got a thing to do with Naturals or Outlanders. Ain't got a thing to do with thinkin' anyone is better than anyone else. It's got to do with who is most qualified, who wants everyone to be equal no matter where they was born or if they can turn into donkeys or make chunks of metal out of thin air or can't stand in the daylight fer shit. There's a whole damn world out their ain't none of us old enough to remember. Them Fae folk who kidnapped us and been actin' unfriendly is just the starters. If we ain't got someone who knows how to lead and build and fight, we all are as good as dead. So how 'bouts you take that fight with ya, sign up for our army, and fuck yer pretty 'lil girlfriend of yours to blow off some steam and start thinkin' 'bout the bigger picture like the grown ass man yer pretendin' to be, boy."
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett's immediate answer to the familiar voice that suddenly cut through was a resounding 'yes', but he stayed quiet to listen to the man's speech, hands tightening and turning around the handle of his axe as his teeth ground into each other. The mention of 'fucking his pretty little girlfriend' set an edge of something much more fiery than he'd felt before in his eyes.

"So 'cos you've got problems bein' Abandoned--" He turned to Zariah: "Cos that's what it's called." And back:"Yer just gonna let some random woman say she owns us? Throw us into her 'army' without even knowing what we're signin' up fer?" The idea was so insane to Emmett he found it difficult to not just stare, wanting to think everyone would suddenly wise up.

"Fine, though, if y'want, forget the Outlander thing. Are y'sayin' we don' have anyone else, who more of us know 'n' trust, to lead us? Y'sure are willing to just put all y'trust behind this Zariah person when she ain' ever worked on our farms or spoken to most a us. And."

He lifted up the axe to his chest. "Don' ever talk about Bee like that again."
Emmett
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
The man almost piped up again, but Zariah held a hand up and he immediately quieted, though he looked quite angry. The thin woman paused, considering her words as she looked upon the angry young man. ”N.P., apologize. There was no reason to bring a woman who isn’t even present into this.” she said coolly, pinning him with a look until the man grumbled an apology to Emmett. Then she regarded the young man again.

”I understand your anger. Truly I do. This is quite an adjustment. Though it seems, for the moment, your anger is clouding your judgement, and nothing I say will appease you.” Zariah observed, her tone distant, detached, unimpassioned. There was no point arguing with him. She could make the most compelling of arguments, have the support of all the Hollowed Grounds and the gods, and he would still be angry. ”Perhaps though, it would be a good idea for you to consult with your Bee. I am certain she would not like to see you acting in anger like this, especially when there could be consequences if you get out of hand. Would you really wish to worry her like that?” she said calmly.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Emmett stared straight ahead as Zariah spoke, barely even reacting to the apology. What good was it, if it had only been forced out of him? They both knew outside of this courtyard, when N.P. didn't act like a disciplined lapdog, he wouldn't apologise.

Zariah was horribly condescending. Positioning herself as right simply because she was not emotional, acting as if he had not said anything of merit. Emmett stood for a while, axe in hands, seemingly stuck between two paths; then he picked the third and took a step back. "I'm gonna leave, but not cos I think you're better than me or y'won this. I'm gonna be back with more people, and I ain' signin' up for no weird army."

With a rude gesture towards Zariah, he turned on his heels and began to walk away.
Emmett