Until Further Notice
OPEN
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Sam only became aware of the town's new 'leader' from some chatter in his shop between two men who didn't seem to take the whole thing very seriously. But it left enough of an impression on him for him to go out into the market and look at the notice board.

What he saw there instantly put fear into his heart, mostly because of the law about military draftings. He couldn't fight! Hadn't anyone seen him?! And...and oh, everything else too. He could find something to worry about in each law. He'd said the words Outlander and Natural before, was he going to be arrested...? Was he going to have his house searched..? ( He didn't know why it would be, but the terrified voice in his head never needed much in the way of reason).

As he headed back to his store, his chest and veins full of dread, he tried to make some kind of plan. But all he felt was an uncontrollable desire to hide. To crawl into a dark pit and come out when this was all over.

Impulsively, suddenly, as he reached his shop he took the 'closed' sign from the door and wrote on it: 'UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.' Once he'd done that though he felt still not protected enough. Taking books he didn't care about too much he stacked them all up in the window, to block any view inside. Then, taking his cat and precious belongings, he sat in the back, ready to stay there as long as he had to and turn invisible if anyone approached.
Sam
It's time that I let go
Of things I can't control
This path that I've taken
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 55 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 50 - Luck: 46 - Int: 1
PEMOTA - Mythical - Starwhale (narwhal) RAMOTH - Mythical - Dragon (Biopulse)
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
NATE
Who could ask to be unbroken
or be brave again?
Or honey hope even on this side
of the grave again?
It was, all things considered, an incredibly early night for Nate. Early enough that he had expected to arrive back at Sams shop to find it full of light, perhaps with the other man doing... whatever he did in the evenings. Honestly Nate wasn’t around much. It was probably reading though.

His lack of familiarity with Sams habits was why the bookstore slash living space didn’t look off to him at first. It seemed early to close, but maybe. And maybe Sam was simply stacking the books differently, in the window to block off all sight from outside. Then Nate noticed the scrawled addition to the sign, and pushed the door open, a strange worry erupting in his chest.

”Sam? You in here?” Nate called out loudly, closing and locking the door behind him. ”Is anyone else here?” He might not have been overly close with the other man, but Nate still considered him a friend, especially after he’d been taken in. As far as he was concerned, he owed Sam, and keeping an eye out for him was one of the few things he could do to put some work into that debt.
And who could ask it to be sound
or to feel saved again?
But stick around until you hear
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
For a while there was silence except for the raging panic in his mind, and Sam revelled in it, taking every opportunity to fill the quiet with possible horrible futures that could happen. Mia, entirely unbothered by his visions, twirled about his feet and chased sunlight bits of dust. He watched her with blank eyes, wishing he could be so innocent.

The sound of the door opening scared him, Sam gasping and turning quickly. The door!! How could you forget to lock the door, you idiot! When he saw it was Nate though, and that he secured it behind him, he relaxed a little, fingertips releasing the edge of his seat.

"..Um, n-no, it's just me!" He called out, the edge of tears clear in his voice (and in the wet trails on his cheeks). "I'm in the back...um...did you need...need something?"
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Age: 37 | Height: 6'1" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
NATE
or be brave again?
of the grave again?
Nate followed the sound of Sams tear stained voice to the back, finding the ginger man curled up with what seemed like every important belonging he had tucked around him. It was clear that he’d been crying, but that was one particular hurdle that Mafe wasn’t sure how to leap, so he ignored it, instead crouching before Sam and reaching out to stroke Mia, as of this was the most normal thing he’d ever walked into.

”Did something happen?” Nate ignored what had been asked of him to focus on Sam, genuine concern in his eyes and brows. If this was something entirely emotional, then his support could only go so far as a shoulder to cry on, but if Sams distress had been caused by a person, Nate could take care of that.
or to feel saved again?
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Nate approached and Sam was overtaken with shame. Shame for crying, for hiding, for not being 'man enough', for not being able to handle this as elegantly as his peers. He glanced up, thinking that it was a shame they had to meet like this, here, in such a complex time. Nate, underneath his rather rough exterior, was sweet and handsome, and the concern in his voice touched Sam's heart.

"Have you seen...the notice board?" He asked, leaning to look around Nate as if a guard would burst through the door and capture him right in that moment. "About the leader...and...and enlistment?And...um..I...I can't do that." Sam gestured down at himself as if it would be obvious why from just looking at him.
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
or be brave again?
of the grave again?
”The noticeboard?” Nate repeated with some confusion, before Sam continued and it properly clicked. This was, unfortunately, also something that he had no power to help, and the realization killed his smile. ”I sort of thought things like that would be commonplace in a place like this.”

Nate sighed, then reached out to grab Sam’s shoulder and squeeze. ”It’s not anything that bad. Just some simple training, right? It’s not like we’re at war.” He didn’t think at least. ”But... I dunno, you’re clever, right? I’m sure you’ll figure out some solution. And I’m here too, if you need.” Offering to rough up a Queen was a little outside of his skill set, so cheap words were all he had to settle for, and Sam had not been impressed with them before.
or to feel saved again?
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Commonplace?! Sam stared at Nate bemused, shocked out of his tears for the moment. He was hardly Caido's biggest fan (or more accurately, Sanctuary's), but he had always liked that it was a place of equals, in a way. Sure, there were the races and some people felt misplaced superiority, but there was not much of a class system; not many people in charge over anyone else. Now that that was set to change, his whole world would go with it.

He flinched as his shoulder was grabbed but didn't pull away, chewing at his lip. "But...I won't be as good as anyone else. I'm weak, and I can't fight, and...and why would she make an army unless she wanted to use it at some point? I'm a bookmaker. I'm not a soldier. I can't."

"I think..." Suddenly, looking around his bookstore and considering how easily Nate had let himself in, he felt very trapped. "I might go away for a while."
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
or be brave again?
of the grave again?
Naren sighed, and shifted to actually sit on the floor instead of simply crouching down. Clearly this was going to be a more involved process that what he’d thought. Sam has seemed prone to gods of melancholy, and a certain moodiness, but this was beyond that. Beyond something Nate thought he could help.

Not that he’d ever been stopped by what he thought he could do.

”You don’t have to be better than anyone Sam. You’re fine at what you do. Better than fine, actually.” Nate looked around, focusing on the books that seemed to infest every extra space in the small home. ”Stuff like this is jut a show of force. Where I came from, they did shit like this all the time.” It was hard to tell just how hyperbolic w was being, but it was clear this was less than completely true.

At Sams declaration that he might go away for a while Nate frowned, leaning forward more so they could whisper. ”Where would you go? The whole world is just this place and those woods, isn’t it?” If there was somewhere else to go, some other option somewhere, maybe Nate would follow and see what was waiting.
or to feel saved again?
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Nate insisted that Sam was fine and this situation was normal, but he didn't internalise any of it. When he was in this kind of state, beside himself in his mental fog, hardly any words of encouragement would make it through. He just assumed they were lies. They had to be; they didn't make any sense with his intensely warped world view.

"I...I'll ask The Voice where she thinks I should go, maybe. But I was thinking about the woods for a while. I could make it there unseen, you know, with my invisibility." He couldn't remember if he'd told Nate about it before, but he said it simply, matter-of-factly. "But I can't be here when they're gathering people for an army."
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
or be brave again?
of the grave again?
”The Voice..? Oh, your vamp- uh, your...” Nate snapped his fingers, the name on the of his rogue. ”Ascended! That’s your god, yea?” He was so proud that he’d remembered that Nate manages to not actually process what Sam had for a moment, but when he did his eyes nearly bugged out of his skull. ”Invisible? I... look, Sam...”

Nate shifted some of the items the book maker had gathered around himself, clearing enough room to sit right beside Sam, their legs touching. ”I do see what’re you’re coming from, but... there’s easier ways to break laws. You don’t need to run into the woods.” There was an effort made to make it sound like his concern was purely out of a sense of duty, but truthfully, he was genuinely worried about Sam. Sure, he wouldn’t do well in a draft, but Nafe couldn’t see him doing well in the woods either.
or to feel saved again?
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam nodded mutely as Nate correctly remembered The Voice was 'his god', unsure of what else to say of it. All it really served to do was remind him how new Nate was here, how little he understood of the situation and the context surrounding it. That really, his advice was half-informed and could only be half-listened to.

"I'm not looking to break laws. I want to escape." He insisted. "I can...I don't need to eat, or sleep, and I won't get old if I have to wait years. I can just come back when this is all over. You can look after my house and Mia...try to keep it tidy but you could have guests and things..." Sam was rambling, his thoughts getting away from him in his disorganised mind state.

He shook his head and stood up. "I need to go and talk to The Voice. Tonight. Please...leave me alone so I can think about what to say to her."
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know
Nate Wrenzaok
the Lone (Free) Ranger
"Doctor" / Guildmaster

Change author:
NATE
or be brave again?
of the grave again?
The way Sam was talking awoke an anxiety in Nate that he hadn't felt in a very long time. Like, maybe Sam actually was going to go through with his plan, instead of just talking about it. And then he was offering up his home in full, and saying Mia would need to be taken care of, and Nate needed to move, to do something He settled for reaching out and placing a hand on Sam's shoulder, worried eyes focused on the ginger man.

"You can't possibly be leaving me in charge of all your things." He didn't know how to serious, so he tried to make it a joke, though the attempt was weak at best. It seemed like Nate was going to say more, maybe dip into the well of emotions he was keeping hidden, but then Sam was standing, asking him to leave, and well... Nate still owed him something. He left the room slowly, a little reluctantly, but didn't look back.
or to feel saved again?
that music play again
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:
Sam blinked as a hand was placed on his shoulder, not expecting the sudden physical contact. Nate said something he hardly could listen to past the determined panic in his mind, then turned to leave; he watched him go. Hopefully, he'd see the other man again soon, and it would be under better circumstances.
Sam
It's time that I let go
Is the only one I know