Personal Quest In My Basement?
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Adam
There was only so long it was cool to be a tagger-on in a farmer's house. Only so long he could get by with rogueish charm to cover up homelessness. Eventually, Adam had to get himself a house. Everyone here seemed to have one claimed. Back where he'd come from it was quite normal to find people living from a bag attached to their saddles, but they hadn't all been stuck in one town where he was the weirdo for not having a place.

So, it just wouldn't do to be a wanderer anymore. But when he went to the domiciles to scout out a home, the remaining pickings were...Adam didn't know if he was just choosy or if they really were shit, but the selection wasn't filling his heart with joy.

Finally, he found one that with a lot of work he definitely wasn't going to put in any time soon, could be alright. For the moment, it would at least be a place to lay down his head and keep his stuff. Sitting down at the table he stretched his arms and leaned back, relaxing--

THUMP THUMP THUMP

Adam jumped up and stared at the source of the noise, a trap door leading to the basement at the back of the kitchen. Displaced dust sat around it and for the moment it was suspiciously still. He took a couple of steps towards it.

THUMP

The trap door bounced up with each bang, only the weak metal latch keeping it in place. With wide eyes Adam ran out, deciding he really needed some help here (he wasn't scared, of course. He just knew his limits, that was all.) He asked at the Rathskeller, asking people to find his friends for him (to 'help decorate') and ask them especially. Then he went to wait outside the door of his house, occasionally glancing inside.

-----
Help Adam sort out totally not dangerous things in his house! Help has been asked specifically of Peter and Amalia, but anyone can join!

Spaces:
1. Lucas
2. Peter
3. Wessex
4. Amalia
At least everyone is trying, everyone is shining
Everyone deserves the flames but it's such a shame
Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 7 - Int:
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:

C'mon, now. Lucas just had to see this. "Help decorate", was it? Sure. He was the epitome of help. (And if not that, he was certain that his fashion sense was better than Adam's).

So he of course rocked up whenever he fancied, smiling broadly to the ex-highwayman and folding his arms across his chest. "Normally," he drawled, "people live inside their houses, rather than simply admiring them through the windows. Or is it really that bad?"

Gods forbid it was bad enough to keep Adam out. Lucas had witnessed some of the other man's habits and... well. The rest was better left unsaid.

LUCAS
don't you know there ain't no devil

it's just god when he's drunk

Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 4 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 18 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 87
It’s only becauE he’s been requested by name that Peter shows up, though he does skulk a ways away until he’s not the first to arrive. The less one on one time he can spare with Adam, the better. There is a mess in his head thanks to the other man, and it’s not one Peter even wants to look at quite yet.

Almost as soon as Lucas arrives, Peter does as well, nodding a greeting to the unfamiliar man and squinting at him like he was trying to plac efhe face. It clicks after a moment, Peter remembering him from what felt like nearly a lifetime ago, helping out at Maea’s farm.

With that sorted, Peter turned to look past Adam, trying to get a glimpse into the house. It did seem strange that Adam was waiting for them outside, now that he thought about it.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:

Wessex doesn’t go to the Rathskellar much anymore, what with Edy being either the Right or Left Hand of Her Uppityness. Best to leave good feelings where they are, before they’re wrecked entirely. So she doesn’t hear the call for help, but she does walk by and catch sight of Lucas and two other men and reckons if the blonde guy is there, it might be something interesting.

Stepping up quietly behind the trio, she also looks into the house, but even with her fancy eyesight, can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. Peering from face to face, her words address the small group as a whole. “Something wrong?” she asks, wanting to know (because she’s nosy like that), but not sure if it’s worth her time to stick around and find out.

WESSEX
She whispered back, I am the storm
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia

stop thinking so much

Come help decorate feels like a decidedly un-Adamlike request, but Amalia shrugs and takes it in stride. She would rather be called upon to help her friend set up a house than stumble home to it, and the fact that he is finally taking up his own place warms her with an odd sort of pride. Part of her wonders if Nate will be there, what the stoic farmer thinks of losing the tenant he seems reluctantly fond of.

Part of her wonders if this whole thing isn't simply so he has somewhere closer to the bar to crash at.

She does not expect to see the others there. It is not that she is jealous of Adam's time, more that she has her own twisted emotions regarding some of the people assembled there, a sharp pain rising in her gut as she looks them over. For a long, tempting moment Amalia considers turning around and heading back the way she came, an excuse already rising to her lips (Sorry, Adam, I was busy with the bake - sorry, Adam, I never got the message -)

(- Sorry, Adam, I didn't feel like dealing with the former babysitter who thinks I want her dead -)

"Adam!" she calls from the back of the group, carefully avoiding looking at Wessex, skirting around to bump her shoulder against the slender man. "You found yourself a house, hm? Let's see the inside!"

And because she does not currently have the presence of mind to wonder why they are all standing around the door (and because whatever is waiting in there cannot possibly be as terrifying as Wessex's disappointed stare), Amalia moves to step through the open doorway, her dark eyes searching curiously through the little house.

you're breaking your own heart

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Adam
Adam grinned when he saw Lucas approach. He knew the other man was competent enough to do a good job of...whatever it was he was asking him to do, and he had a good sense of humour to boot. Maybe it could all get written off as a fun misunderstanding. "Uh, yeah, well...there's a reason I ain't going in, and it's not really to do with the decor..."

Peter came next and Adam couldn't hide the wide and clearly very pleased smile on his face. The shy man said nothing, but Adam gave him a thumbs up, only moving his gaze away when he saw Wessex approach. "Oh, nah, just a lil job." He assured her with a dismissive wave of his hand, waiting to see if anyone else would show before he spilled the truth.

The last to arrive was Amalia, who seemed determined to bolt right into the house - Adam leaned back and grabbed her elbow, shaking his head at her. "Slow down, I gotta talk to everyone first."

Now that enough people were here he looked around and began. "So uh, hey everyone, thanks for coming...so..." He rubbed the back of his neck. "I don't actually need help decorating. I mean, I do, but that isn't why I asked you to come here. No, uh, actually, there's...something in the basement here. And I thought a gang of plucky adventurers like yourselves would be willing to help, right? C'mon."

Adam stepped into the house . Coffee was asleep on the table, curled up, and the odd item was scattered about, giving it a vaguely sloppy but homely feel. As soon as he walked to the far side of the room...

THUMP THUMP THUMP

"Uh..so yeah, I dunno what it is." He chewed on his lip. "But I reckon if we all go in with our punching heads on, we should be able to beat whatever it is, right? So uh..show me what you're working with, and I'll open it up."

As for himself, he drew his two guns and whistled for Coffee to come over, the little dragon flying to stand on his shoulders and puff smoke from it's nostrils, readying its fire.

----
Select your weapon of choice prior to entering the basement!

Any post order!

Lucas Copperhead

Age: 38 | Height: 6'0 | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

The cavalry (apparently) had all arrived and now it was time to decorate Adam's house, it seemed. Except not. Snorting, Lucas folded his arms across his chest and followed the other man inside. "You didn't think of mentioning the possible danger when advertising for people to show up and help? What if it had been Sam to come help, huh?" He rolled his eyes.

As their glorious leader explained their mission into the (THUMP THUMP THUMP) basement, Lucas nodded and took a slow breath in to ready himself. As he concentrated his shadow split into three - he had been teaching himself to make them move in unison - and wreathed around him, ready to defend or attack depending on what was down there.

LUCAS

Peter Pikely

Age: 33 | Height: 5’3” | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Where Peter had been careful to not let his gaze linger on Adam any longer than necessary, he did not apply the same rule to the others who arrived. Both of them were strangers to him, a stern looking woman who seems to have only arrived because of how they were standing around the door, and another who seems much closer to Adam. Something close to irritation actually flared up in his gut as he watched the way she bumped against him, the way he grabbed her.

It was very in character for Adam to invite a group of people over and not tell them of the danger that could be involved. He nodded along as Lucas voiced his complaints, though he still unsheathed a dagger, keeping one had free in case he needed it. ”Maybe it’s another... another Minotaur?” He said quietly, almost a joke.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

“Just a ‘lil job’ rarely requires more than two people…” she retorts with a raised brow, but otherwise keeps quiet until further explanation is required. She does, however, conveniently ignore Amalia, much the same way the girl ignores her. No one there would know they’re at odds, so no need to ham it up. A little pang travels through her body at her familiarity with Adam, but hell, no one would know that either. She’s a stone wall.

Show me what you’re working with comes the decree from the man, and Wessex rolls her eyes. Alright, well, if she’s going to stay and help, might as well get on with it. Her hands clench and metal comes flying out from between her knuckles, long and shiny and very, very sharp. Offering Adam a little wave, she gestures towards the door, plainly asking,can we get on with it, now?

Amalia, she knows, can take care of herself.

WESSEX
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia

stop thinking so much

Amalia stops as Adam grabs her arm, turning back to face him, an eyebrow raised in confusion. She wants to go inside, to be saved from the awkwardness of this makeshift gathering: already she regrets coming here at all, the ice of Wessex's impassive stare inching, insidious, up her spine.

But Adam has called them for a reason other than decoration- which shouldn't surprise her, really. Crossing her arms, Amalia waits for an explanation of why they're here. Something in the basement. She turns back to look inside just as the THUMP THUMP THUMP! rings out, making her jump a little. Laughing self-consciously, the girl shakes her head, listening as the others show their skills, weapons drawn and hackles raised. She has nothing: her staff is back at the bakery, and she has no magic ability of which to speak.

"It's probably a golem," she murmurs to Adam, stealing a nostalgic glance back for Wessex, remembering their last tangle with one such creature. "Sunlight will cause it to fall apart." Knowledge is what she is working with: knowledge and leopard claws, feline teeth and slatted eyes peering into the dark.

you're breaking your own heart

Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
Everyone approached with their weapons drawn, some of them more impressive than others (did Lucas just have...shadows..?). Some suggestions were kicked around, a minotaur or a golem - Adam shook his head. "Nah. The Minotaur didn't sound like that, and c'mon, golems aren't real." Why that was where he drew the line he didn't know, but it just felt silly.

With everyone ready, he pulled open the hatch...to see nothing at all. Just a ladder descending into a dark cellar. The bit of floor illuminated showed some scuffs on the ground but nothing too suspicious. There were no more thumps either, the basement monster seemingly now playing coy.

"...I guess...let's..head down, then." Adam mumbled, forcing himself to go down the ladder first. It wasn't that he was scared, of course not -- he just didn't want to get his face hit. It had gotten him out of a lot of trouble in the past. The ladder was rickety, creaked under his feet, but held for him to reach the bottom.

Looking around in the dark, he could see the room wasn't very big. And even with the poor lighting he could see the hulking shape of a stone golem in the corner of the room, like a large pile of stones. But...it didn't seem to be moving towards him. "..Uh...come down, I guess it is a golem. Amalia, you're always right and I goddamn hate it."

The Golem, once everyone came down, thumped on the ground three times: THUMP THUMP THUMP. but did not appear to try and attack. For Wessex and Lucas, who could see through the poor lighting, they would notice it was missing a leg, the rock shattered at the base.

---
Post order:
Lucas
Peter
Wessex
Amalia

Lucas Copperhead

Change author:

Wasting no time, Lucas followed Adam down the ladder and into the darkness, his green eyes cutting easily through the shadows. He had no particular feelings about what it might be down there, having encountered neither golem nor minotaur, so when he arrived next to Adam to see the stone creature, he didn't actually register what it was until the other man spoke.

"Anyone got any spare sunlight? If so I'd appreciate it if you didn't direct it at me," he muttered, circling around to try and see what it was doing. "It's missing a leg," he noted. "How did it get down here?"

LUCAS

Peter Pikely

Change author:
Peter hurried down the ladder after Lucas, not wanting to dally around. He was not a social person, and the sooner they had solved the issue of whatever was in the basement, the sooner he could leave this uncomfortable gathering. Without any kind of compensation for the dark, Peter had to squint, trying to make sense of the shape without knowing what a golem looked like.

Glancing in the direction of Lucas’ voice, Peter considered the observation. ”It can’t move? Is it... is it really a problem then?” He sheathed his blade while he asked, no matter what Adam wanted to do, a dagger wasn’t going to help.
Peter
try, try your
whole life
to be righteous
and good
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:

A golem, she hears from the back of the line. That she’s dealt with before. Unfortunately, only sunlight or draining the life from it will kill the thing. Once she’s down the ladder and can see in the dark, Wessex confirms that the monster does indeed seem to be missing a leg - or it’s already injured, one of the two. Her talons will be of no use here. Sheathing the metal, the Ascended woman mutters just loud enough for everyone to hear “We could restrain it and move it, unless one of you -” she gestures to Amalia, Peter, and Adam - “has life drain magic or the power to make sunlight. Those are the only things that will kill it.” She shrugs. The guy with the house might just be shit out of luck.

WESSEX