love bites so deep
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Mature Content Warning 
REXANNA
they said you were the crooked kind
There is far too much on her mind, and her steps are quick and to the point as she approaches the prison. After a few quick words with the guards, they lead her inside back toward Bastien’s cell. It’s been a couple of days since she’d seen him last, and as she enters the room with the cell and the guards, she offers Bastien a brilliant smile (even if her eyes don’t quite match the vibrancy) and watches quietly as the guards move to unlock the cell. Once it is open, she dips her head to them in thanks before stepping toward Bastien. “Ready to go? ” She says, softly, but there’s the hint of accomplishment in her voice.

First thing was first, they needed to head toward the notice board and actually put his information in – but after, after, they could go home finally. It had been a long few days, longer still that she had been a part of anything like this. It drained her emotionally, and before she had a chance to let it all out, she needed to be in a place without public eyes. Especially now, now that she was under the watchful eye of Zariah. A nobody, turned into a somebody, playing for the wrong team.

Such is love, right?

She waits patiently, her posture a bit different than before. It’s almost as though if Bastien looked hard enough he could see the royal training imbued into her – breaking out and spilling over with her new position. Now she had to keep up appearances, to remain good and kind and unaware of the terrible things that could happen from this. Her only solace is that Bastien has been freed. It’s the only thing she looks forward to now.
but you were always gold to me
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN
you'll never settle any of your scores
your grace is wasted in your face
Bastien was recounting the bricks in his cell wall (182) in the middle of his third day, bored out of his mind. He'd been in the cells the longest of anyone now, and he'd seen some people come and go; the arrests didn't seem consistent. Some arrested for very minor breaking of the rules and despairing their free friends who had loudly objected the regime, some guilty of more major crimes that seemed sure they'd get out soon.

He supposed it could be a tactic. Confuse the people, make them unsure what was a transgression so they were scared into hardly doing anything at all. It was a tactic he'd only read about in books before...to see it potentially in real life was terrifying.

Yet he couldn't bring himself to really feel the terror, not when he was so worried about Rexanna. She was powerful, he knew that, but she was also determined and more vulnerable to attack than she realised. As hours ticked by with no more news from her, his imagination cooked up more and more ways she could have been hurt, tricked, exiled. He would have preferred to even see her arrested to the silence; that way he could make a plan.

Finally, he heard her voice. Immediately standing, he stepped towards her -- then stopped. Something was wrong. Perhaps not obviously, not to anyone else...but her eyes, her stance. Bastien knew something had happened just from the way she held her hands. But this wasn't the place to discuss it, not yet, so he closed the distance between them and took her hand. "Thank you, mi amore. Shall we go to my home and rest together for an evening? You look as if you could use some sleep."
your boldness stands alone
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
She watches him stand immediately, perhaps a bit surprised to have seen her, but happy nonetheless. And she knows that he notices something off about her, as he moves to approach her and stops short. Eyes shuttering slightly, she lowers her head a small amount and folds her hands before her. After what felt like an eternity, (in reality only a few short seconds) Bastien moves toward her and takes her hand. The warmth seeps into him, and she lifts her head to look upon him with a soft smile and a voice loud enough for the guards to hear before they’re to be lead out.

First, we need to sign you up.” She offers him with a small tilt of her head. “It’s part of the condition of your release.” She adds, as though it made more sense if she worded it that way. In reality, she was simply just searching for words until they could leave. She nods to the guards, after, and they begin the ascent back toward the entry. Luckily for Bastien, she had chosen to come at night so he didn’t have to worry about the sunlight. As they breach the entry to the jail and feel the wind outside, she inhales deeply and squeezes Bastien’s hand.

After, we can go home. I haven’t slept well with you gone.” She admits, offering him a small smile but unable to say much more – not out in the open. And her heart races with the results of what she’s done, she’s certain Bastien can hear it or feel it with the closeness of them. She guides him toward the way home, luckily the enlistment sheet is there, and she silently chews on her lip as they draw nearer.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
Condition of his release or no, Bastien was clearly not happy about Rexanna's information that they were going to sign him up for this bizarre military. When no one would even answer his questions of what it was for, he felt it was the kind of organisation he would really be awful in. His objections were clear on his face but he didn't voice them, not while the guards still lurked around.

Following without too much outward showing of his discontent, he said what was truly important at the moment. "I am immensely grateful, Rexanna, but I dread to hear what price you have paid." He squeezed her hand, imagining all kinds of things. Her soul? Her loyalty? Their firstborn? He'd heard of people paying in memories around Caido...surely not.

They approached the sign up sheet and he sighed, pinched the bridge of his nose. "I desperately do not want to do this." He mumbled under his breath, but then picked up the pen and signed it honestly, knowing that if Rexanna asked him to she had to have a reason. As soon as the ink was on the paper he turned to her with pleading eyes. "Now may we leave?"
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
Whether he wanted to do it or not, Rexanna had to ensure that he did. And she walked with him there, listening before they arrived to the words he spoke and the squeeze of her hand. She doesn’t turn her head to look at him, instead she remains looking straight ahead, eyes shuttering slightly in response. “In time, my love.” She says softly, turning to look at him finally and offering a gentle, encouraging smile.

Soon enough, they’ve arrived at the sign ups and she stands back, arms folded in front of her as she watches Bastien pinch the bridge of his nose before approaching. She doesn’t say anything in response to the mumble, a strange amount of silence coming from the woman before he signed and turned away to face her. She nodded her head, stepping toward him to grasp his hand gently and aimed to lead him home. “Home it is.” She says softly until they’re out of the earshot of the guards that stood by the sheet to ensure people signed it correctly.

As they walk, she squeezes his hand gently and sighs to herself before turning to look at him. “I can’t tell you the details what I had to do, but it seems it’s my destiny to remain at court one way or another, worlds apart.” She offers, ending a bit sadly before smiling at the irony of it. As they draw nearer to her home, she glances to Bastien, wishing nothing more than to hug and kiss his (and her) worries away. To wait for tomorrow, to forget about today.

I’m sorry you had to sign it, it was the only way.” She says quietly, letting go of his hand to unlock her door and step inside.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
As they walked Rexanna spoke of the price she had had to pay, but vaguely. No details given, the absence of finer points blatant and worrying. If she could not even speak of it to him when they were alone on the street, how bad must it have been? Looking her over, she seemed physically as beautiful and well as ever and he hadn't noticed any change in her that couldn't be explained by sadness...Bastien frowned and looked her over for most of the journey, fantasizing nightmares under her clothes.

He shook his head as he stepped through the threshold of the door. "It is a small price to pay, as it is unlikely I would actually fight in her wars anyway...if she has any. Who to fight against? The Fae are hardly hurting us." Not that that means anything to an invader, his cynical mind pointed out, but he tried to forget it for now.

Bastien turned to Rexanna in the corridor and as soon as the door was shut, took her into his arms, one around her waist and the other on her shoulders with his hand in her hair, stroking fondly. "...I am worried about what it is you have done." He mumbled out into the room, before sighing and kissing her forehead. "For a fool like me."
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She knows he’s worrying, but out in the streets and in the open she can’t tell him more of anything really. And so she remains, that shadowed, haunted shift in her eyes despite the rest of her outward appearance seeming relatively normal. Luckily for them, however, it was an easy trek to her home and through the door where she could finally get some privacy for the both of them (yet not in the way it usually went). As he steps over the threshold and within, she nods and gives him a small sigh of a laugh. “I’ll find out, but I can only imagine it’s against the Fae.” She says with a small shrug, shutting the door and locking both locks.

She turns to him then as he steps toward her and envelopes her in his strong arms – one around her waist and the other around her shoulders, fingers tangling in her hair as she presses her cheek to his chest and wraps her arms tightly around his waist. She hears his words and buries her face deeper into his chest, simply enjoying his presence (a constant among a life that would now always change) before she sucked in a breath. “Well, I’ve done a great many things for people I hardly know without actually needing to. At least this time it was for someone I love.” She pauses, thinking of Remi with Frey, her curse, the thought that she deserved to suffer and sacrifice herself because of her past sins.

But this wasn’t because of any of that. This was because of love, after all. He sighed and kissed her forehead, and she pulled away briefly to look up at him into his eyes to gauge his reactions. “I promised to help the crown on the condition of your release.” She says simply, unable to tell him the full amount of her duties, before pulling away officially and removing her coat and hanging it on the coat hanger. Her attire, now, is different. As though she has to be a face for Zariah and the crown, she’s fitted herself with a similar look as back home. Only instead of ball gowns, she’s opted for pants. Yet up top remains tightened with a corset–like blouse, sheer sleeves that attach below the shoulders, revealing her pale skin.

Her sapphire gaze lingers on Bastien briefly before she looks to the rest of the house and the moonlight filtering through the windows. “I don’t know what it all entails yet. But I can handle it, I’ve lived in a castle among wolves before.” She attempts to joke, flashing a wink and a grin toward him as though it might lighten the mood.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Rexanna supposed the war would be against the Fae, too. Bastien sighed. He knew himself, he knew his principles. If Zariah tried to force him to saunter into the woods and slaughter innocent people, he would cut his own throat before he murderered any of them. He didn't say this, not wanting to worry Rexanna, but he hoped fervently the army was just a scare tactic, something Zariah was using to feel strong.

When she told him what she had done, at first he felt relief. It didn't sound so bad, not when he had been imagining all kinds of damage to her. But as she stepped away, admitted that she did not even know what it entailed, his heart dropped to his stomach. What had she done? What had he made her do?

"Rexanna..." He walked behind her, looked with her to the moonlight. "You should not have...I...I am not worth this, love. What if she asks you to do something awful? Service to the crown could mean...so many things." Bastien had no respect whatsoever for any 'crown' or the things done in it's service. "I wish I had not forced you back into the cage you have already escaped once."

It was written on her face and on her clothes, the resigned knowledge that she was back where she'd started, and he hated it. Hated that he'd promised to move her to the future and he'd locked her in the past.
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
The wink and smile are quickly lost on him as she returns to look back at the moonlight – letting the information sink in. She knows what it entails, and she cannot tell him. Not out of fear, but because it’s better that he doesn’t know. But the next few words from his lips, as he steps up behind her and looks out over the moonlight streaming softly through the windows as well, cause a pause within her. He tells her he’s not worth it – and she almost forgets about the second half of what he says.

She steps back slightly, into him, and rests her head on his chest without looking up to him. “You’re worth it to me.” She almost whispers, pausing to chew on her lip. Everyone else in her life so far hadn’t come close – they hadn’t treated her the way he had, the care and courtesy, the fear of trying out this whole relationship after she’d been burned too many times. She almost felt like a used cigarette, lit only to be put out shortly after.

Then lit again.

Then put out.

With Bastien she felt like she was a fire that wouldn’t be put out, that he wouldn’t allow it. Not in this world, or any of the others, she felt like a better version of herself when she was with him. And it was because of him that she can think those thoughts. Whatever Zariah has in store can’t blemish that light, even if it wavers in her eyes. Her shadowed eyes aren’t shadowed for herself, they are shadowed for him.

I’m sure I will find out soon enough.” She pauses, finally answering the second half of his words. “I have done many awful, terrible things in my life.” She murmurs quietly. “I have been pegged a traitor, a murderer. They called me the Aurelian Siren, once.” She recalls, as though she’s reciting the pages of a book. The Golden Siren, a woman caped in gold, devouring men. It's a blasphemous idea, but it might paint a picture in Bastien's mind at the kind of woman they thought she had been. At least he sees the truth in her. “But then they whispered and called me the Deceiver, tossed me into the dungeon, brought me back home to my country to watch it burn.” She shrugs slightly, tilting her head up to look at him in the filtered moonlight. “And I let them burn it. We’re all killers in a way, murderers, people who have done terrible things to survive.” She ponders, eyes far away and almost distant as she thinks it through. “But I am a survivor, and if I survived those I can certainly deal with this.” She says simply, honestly, offering him the smallest of smiles.

She turns to him then, her chest against his as she lets her sapphire gaze linger on his face – a pale hand reaching up to rest along his neck as she stroked his cheek with her thumb. “Cages can be broken, Bastien. I am proof of that.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien was not one to often put himself down or admit his own faults, so he had truly meant it when he said he was not worth this; he knew his worth. Rexanna's life, potentially, was far beyond what he was. Softly shaking his head, he sighed mournfully. Had he made a mistake here? Everything had been going so well, only to come crashing down in one sarcastic action against a guard.

She went on to list things she had done, been called. They didn't lower Bastien's opinion of her (if anything, he was proud she could go through so much and be who she was) but they did make him wonder if it was truly fair to force her to go through more. She was young, they both were; if this had all happened in the first third of their lives, what would the rest hold?

"I...I just hope it is a short payment, then. That the natural happens and this Queen is without a head by next week." There was not a lack of venom, of bitterness, in these words. "You--" He was interrupted by a sudden flash of weakness, a pain in the front of his head. He stumbled a little, lifted a hand to his temple. "Sorry, I...I could not feed in the jail. I should have asked when you were there...they gave me food but that is no longer enough, I find."
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
She explains her past, each time an added piece of the puzzle that made her up. Sure, she’s told Bastien much of it, but the little details are left out on purpose; to be brought up again as added chapters and descriptions to the story that makes her. Rexanna is a story, after all. A story of rags and riches, of dismantling and strength. And her story is far from over yet. She turns to him as he speaks, letting the bitterness envelope his words and she cracks a small smile toward him in understanding. She knew he wouldn’t be okay with this, but what other choice did they have?

Her thumb strokes his cheek as he begins to speak again before stopping abruptly and stumbling. Immediately, concern flashes in her eyes and she wonders if perhaps something had happened within the jail. That Zariah has let her have him, but only for a time. Luckily, it changes as he announces he hasn’t fed in awhile, and she exhales a sigh of relief with a nod. “Of course.” She says softly, grasping for his hand to move toward the couch. She doesn’t know if he can make it up the stairs to the bedroom, and so the plush couch should work just fine. “I don’t think they would have wanted you to feed in case you managed to get out somehow anyway.” She says, flashing him a small wink and smile.

But she gestures for him to sit, likely not even needing to before she steps into the kitchen to get a few things for after — a snack for after, to recoup the feeling from the blood loss, yet she brings one for him too even though it wouldn’t do much. She moves toward him after settling the plate onto the table and smiles a bit wider to him, seeming a bit more like her old self. “We’ll get you patched up, hmm?
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien followed easily to the couch, stopping only on the way to sit down to tilt his head and consider what Rexanna had said. "My God, you are right. I should have thought...I could have fed from you and used your fireworks somehow. What an oversight...perhaps you would not have needed to go to the vipers lair..." He sat down with a heavy sigh filled with regret.

But still, feeding was usually a...joyous (and other things) experience, and he did not want to sully it with his poor mood. He smiled graciously and reached for her wrist, held it loosely between them for a moment. "As always, cara, I thank you for this honour." With that said he leaned forward and put her skin to his lips, gently pulled her wrist closer then quickly punctured her skin with his teeth, immediately closing his eyes with a sound of relief as the warm blood rushed into his mouth.

His other hand reached to stroke her hair, slightly clumsy fingers coming up and carding through it, cupping her cheek as if he were going to kiss her if his mouth wasn't busy drinking. As he felt life soar back into him, Bastien was surprised to find how drained he had been. His spirit began to lift, not just physically but in general, his more hopeful nature picking up again.

Flicking his eyes up, he looked to make sure Rexanna was alright.
among the wreck
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
The conversation doesn’t feel like his normal flair for dramatics, and while Rexanna goes to grab her things and lets him sit, she hums quietly to herself in response. “I’m sure she’d have thought of that.” She says, perhaps a smidge sadly much like his own reaction. But none of it matters now, she’s in a contract with the Queen, magically swore an oath, to have him here — and here he is. If for nothing else, Rexanna appreciates Zariah sticking to her word. Even if Bastien hates it, even if she’s nervous about what it all entails.

She doesn’t dwell on it much longer, the events will still have happened regardless of how much he wishes things were different. Besides, his health was more so her concern as she moved toward him to sit on the couch beside him, letting him take her pale arm to his lips, a soft gentle smile along her face as he thanks her. She knows it isn’t much, but it’s at least enough to get him feeling better until he can visit the Voice (and perhaps her, too, in turn after the Voice had saved her through Lucas – but whether she tells Bastien this or not is still up in the air).

Her eyes soften on him as she settles in and he pulls her wrist closer to him, a light kiss before the fanged bite. As usual, she melts into him – his hand running through her hair to cup her cheek, and she leans more into him. Her head cradled and eyes shutting, numb and sparking everywhere. Soft sounds leave her lips as she presses herself against him, unable to pay much more attention to see if it’s what he needs. She rides the wave as he grows replenished, craving him closer and closer.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien smiled just slightly around Rexanna's wrist as he heard her breathing quicken, felt her move closer. He knew what it was she was feeling; after all the exact mirror image of her sensation was given to him by drinking. The hand in her hair moved down to stroke past her neck, shoulders, paused for just a moment as he looked up to see her reaction, then he stroked her breasts, at first lightly, then more purposefully, his thumb brushing over her nipples through her dress.  

Perhaps the way they took in each others bodies was different from most couples, the very transformation that gave him his ability to drink taking away his ability to do other things, but it was entirely them and he wasn't sure he would trade it for anything else. Not when he could feel the way he made Rexanna flush with tingling, gentle heat through their bond.

Having drunk his fill for the moment, feeling far more alive than he had before, he leaned forward to kiss her, the taste of blood still on his lips.
among the wreck