Half Loop Stitch on China Silk
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 3 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 11 - Luck: 14 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

With the Longheat days stretching out longer now, the peak of the season truly here, Jiao was finding business quite easy. People wanted clothing with as little fabric as possible in fun, bright colours. She could sell crop tops and tiny skirts by the dozen in the day, and spend her evenings working on more elaborate pieces for more elaborate occasions and colder seasons to come.

And while she was still irritated at the Outlanders, at the Barrierfolk...Jigano had proven himself to be decent enough, so she found it hard to keep that flame of anger alive in her heart. Heck, she felt so good she was humming to herself as she worked, sewing a golden flower into the sleeve of a dress she was making, delicate red and orange hues shining in the fabric.

The door was open to let in a breeze and she occasionally looked up to smile at the Fae wandering past (though made a face to herself after some of them were back behind the wall. She had a lot of opinions).

Suddenly, a larger gust of wind blew in and knocked over a bowl of pins and scissors she had by the door, scattering them outside onto the step. With a little irritated cry, Jiao dropped her work and flitted forward to gather them, crouching down in the doorway with the pins rolling all over the path.
Jiao
And the bittersweet of every new defeat
Is I'm stronger than before
Kheelan Raine
Guard / Music maker

Age: 250 | Height: 5' (152cm) | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 0 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 6 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: Mad Hatter Offline
Change author:
KHEELAN

Kheelan had been wandering about the city since it was one of many days off. He had a hard time standing still though and had ended up wandering the bodega for the last hour by now, some places even visited the same stalls with things several times over but he hadn't found anything he liked. Instead he'd ended up getting some apples in the end.

Even though the summer day was warm and nice with blue skies and a bright sun to enlighten the day, the wind was still strong now and again. Kheelan made his way down the bodega while the wind played with his mahogany red hair. His eyes had a glimmer of teal in them for the time being.

His hair moved around him like a mane in water in the teasing winds but nothing that really seemed to bother him much. That was, until a strong wind caught him of guard, nearly causing him to fall. Thankfully Kheelan had always been good with standing on his feet and caught himself just in time to hear something crash to the ground just behind him. He jumped by the sudden noise and turned to see what it was.

A small bowl rolled out and around the door frame, leaving traces of pins, needles and different sizes of scissors on its way. By reflex, Kheelan turned on his heel to get them before the next wind would cover the pins and needles on the ground, or for that matter carry them away like a tumbleweed.

At the same time he kneeled down, a dark head appeared out by the doorway which was in coalition course with his own while he leaned down.

Swords can only kill the heart it aims at,
but music can mend all hearts that listen.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Age: 53 | Height: 4'6" | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

Jiao was diverted from her mission to grab her fallen pins when she was struck with a man's head, the impact immediately making her jump back with her hands clutching at the top of her head. "Oooow!" She whined, falling back into the doorway of her shop. After a long, undignified time sat curled up into a ball, she finally stretched out and looked at her unwitting attacker, looking rather hurt.

"Careful!" She chided, leaning forward slowly to halfheartedly pick up some pins that were still rolling about, though she wasn't putting in too much effort now; Jiao figured the least he could do to make up for hitting her head was pick up most of the mess.

She didn't recognise this man, which was unusual for her in Sidhe. "Who even are you? Did you come for clothes?" She asked rudely as she put pins into the pot.
Jiao
Kheelan Raine
Guard / Music maker

Age: 250 | Height: 5' (152cm) | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
KHEELAN

Forehead met nose quickly followed by a groan of pain as Kheelan fell to sitt on his behind doing the same procedure as the person he'd clearly knocked back from doing the same he was about to - saving the pins and needles from the wind.

The pain hurt so bad he wanted to scream but managed to choke them well enough to end up as a pained whimper. Kheelan ended up teary eyed due to the pain and currently wasn't aware he was mildly having a nosebleed from the hit.

It was clearly a woman he'd hit according to the sound of her voice. He blinked a few times while holding his nose with both hands, his maroon colored mane of hair making him look quite similar to The Thing in the Addams family had anyone of them known who they were. His hair was thick and long, reaching him to just below his bum if he stood up. Strands hinting of golden in them in the sun above the obvious deep red color his waves held. Currently, not much of his face was shown due to his hair being splayed all over him.

"I'm sorry!"

A swift movement with one of his arms and his face appeared a bit more from under his mane. A pair of glimmering teal colored eyes looked up at the woman in front of him while he still sat down on the street.

"I'm Kheelan... I wanted to get hold of the pins and needles before the wind took them!"

He explained quite nasally since he still held his nose with one of his hands, covering the slight trickle of blood that slowly appeared outside his left nostril.

"I...I heard a bang behind me, I saw the bowl and the scissors.. I just wanted to help!"

Kheelan said, now looking down on his hands to see if there was in fact any blood or not from the impact with her forehead.

Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Jiao softened her expression as the man immediately yelled out an apology and seemed rather hurt himself, blood coming from his nose. She sighed and picked up the remaining pins she could see and put the bowl on the side, weighing it down with a large stone so it wouldn't blow over again.

"C'mon. I have rags inside you can use for your nose." She said, stepping back inside and selecting something from her scraps box; a brown soft fabric with a pattern of yellow leaves, once used years ago for a shirt she had long forgotten. She passed it to Kheelan and sat back down in her work chair. "...Sorry. I know you were trying to help. I just.." She shrugged.

"I've never seen you around before. What's your name?"
Jiao
Kheelan Raine
Guard / Music maker

Change author:
KHEELAN
"I'm so sorry, I really am"

Kheelan repeated, checking his nose by gently touching the base of it with his fingertips, it seemed to be fine even if it was painful. He rubbed the back of his hand against the underside of his nose when she commented about his nose.

He got up to his feet and brushed himself off a bit to get the street dust from his clothes with one hand, holding the other by his nose, pinching the base of his nose in a pinch to stop the bleeding.

He stepped into her shop and leaned down to fish up a pair of scissors that seemed to belong in the bowl she brought inside, he gave it to her and took the soft piece of fabric from her. It was beautiful with the yellow leaves on, he was hesitant to put it against his nose at first but did so after a few seconds of thought.

"My name is Kheelan Raine. I usually don't walk around here, too crowded. I like to stick to the calm in the woods mostly, unless I work that is.."

Kheelan dabbed his nose again, whiping away most of the blood which seemed to stop trickling after a moment or two.

"May I ask your name as well?"

He asked, looking around the shop. So many beautiful fabrics there were in here. He was even tempted to ask for something being made as he watched the beautiful fabrics, their colors, patterns and what other things there were in there. Suddenly he felt bad for the piece of fabrig he'd wiped his nose with which made him look down on it while realizing it would be very hard to get the blood stain off.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Kheelan...no, the name didn't ring a bell. She supposed she could understand preferring the isolation of the woods to the oft-annoying company of other Fae, but Jiao had always been too much of a social person to spend too long alone.

"I'm Jiao. What do you do for work?" Jiao tilted her head to the side. From the way he'd hesitated before using her rag, he clearly was someone who appreciated detail and beauty; some people would have just rubbed their face on it with no thought at all. But she knew most of the craftspeople in the village, either because they were friends or competitors.

Glancing out of the door, actually looking outside now she wasn't searching for pins, she stretched. "It's break time, I think." Reaching up for a little roughly-molded teapot with a golden berry pattern on a high shelf, she picked up a bowl full of leaves and began to heat water over a fire and stew tea. "...If you're going to stay, you can have some, if you'd like."
Jiao
Kheelan Raine
Guard / Music maker

Change author:
KHEELAN
Kheelan wiped his nose one more time and made sure he wasn't bleeding anymore then folded the bloodstains to the inside of the piece of fabric, not sure what to do with it at the moment. His Teal colored eyes glimmered like water on a summer day. They were kind but at the same wiser than most by looking upon them.

"I am one of the guards that guard the forest, most days are calm however, today is a day off however. My feet just... lead me here for some reason?"

He glanced down on the piece of fabric in his left hand again but let it remain in his hand for now, holding his left wrist with his right hand at the moment. When she spoke of tea he gave her a light but warm smile that didn't quite fit with the line of work he mentioned. It wasn't often someone he didn't know asked him to drink tea. She seemed kind and honest in her question.

"If you don't mind me staying, I would love to, I have nothing planned at the moment, I can play flutes later if you wish for some company? I did after all accidentally hit you.. with my.. nose."

He looked a bit embarrassed for a moment. Usually he is more agile and manage to stir away in the last moment of impact, but apparently not this time. Kheelan looked around at the different fabrics. It wasn't hard to guess her line of work was making clothes and other attires for people requesting them. She had keen eyes for what worked well and what didn't, that much was clear just by her own choice of clothing.

Kheelan felt a bit bad for not having anything to contribute to the teatime. He couldn't just about go eat his flutes which rested neatly in their belt bags formed as the instruments, both of the flutes were hand made by him of course one wooden flute and one pan flute, but that was another story.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

"Everyone's feet should bring them here. It's the best tailors in the village." Jiao insisted proudly, though she wasn't sure if she could offer much that would be useful to a guard. She made fine silks and fancy dresses, not armour or anything meant to sustain a heavy attack.

Jiao set about arranging out tea cups, then saw that Kheelan was still awkwardly keeping hold of the rag she had given him. She held out a hand for it, and if received, she would throw it into the basket in the corner of things to wash when she had time to go to the river. She usually had one wash day a week, when she would take a huge pile of clothes and a rack and scrub until her usually pristine hands were red and swollen; she did not like anyone to see her on those days.

"Flutes...? Hm." Jiao passed him a teacup, the brew inside smelling of tart berries and spices. "Didn't know there were guards who play flutes. Aren't you meant to be all grrrr tough?" She asked, posing with her arms up in a fake 'scary' pose.
Jiao
Kheelan Raine
Guard / Music maker

Change author:
KHEELAN
Kheelan smiled lightly and looked at her for a moment before he let his eyes roam around all the fabrics in the room.

"So I see"

He thought to himself for a moment. Celebrations of light would be at the ending of leaf change, perhaps he should up his wardrobe since he was here already? It meant that she had time to finish sewing it in time for him to use it? At the same time, he hadn't been at the festivals for years since his heart was too heavy to do so even now. So why did he even get the thought of getting an attire for the celebrations?

When her hand reached out for the beautiful piece of fabric she had let him wipe the nosebleed with he handed it to her, silently glad she took it away so he wouldn't have to sit there all confused as to what to do with it.

Kheelan sunk down on a chair by the table where she placed the teakettle and met her hands when she gave him the cup of tea. She sat with a straight strong back even though he wasn't wearing any of his armor, a habit hard to get to stop on his free days.

He took a sip of the hot tea and tasted its flavors just as the woman commented about flutes and that guards apparently should be all scary and sulky. Kheelan couldn't help but chuckle a bit while he lowered the cup to the table again.

"To intruders perhaps, uninvited people or fae who don't follow the rules of the crown. When we have days off we are just like anyone else. I play and make instruments on my free time, just like anyone else having a hobby when they're not at work."

He said, enjoying the taste of the tea and greeted his mouth with another sip of it. He couldn't help but to glance at a piece of fabric that looked like some kind of silk and with a swirling pattern, perhaps there were leaves on? He wasn't sure from this distance.

For a moment Kheelan's eyes fell to the floor and he got a distant look on his face, the smile faded for a brief moment, he took another drink of his tea as if to try and hide behind the cup even though it didn't cover his face at all. He cleared his throat somewhat and licked his lips slightly.

"I take it you have a lot of work cut out for you here?"

Kheelan asked politely.
Jiao Chen
Seamstress

Change author:

Jiao nodded as Kheelan explained. She supposed it made sense; recently she had learnt numerous times that she was quick to judge on appearances and first impressions, that she would build a whole idea of a person before they'd even managed to show themselves and assume her version to be the truth. Letting go of it was difficult.

"...Have you ever killed someone?" She asked. She had not yet learnt to be tactful.

His question made her tilt her head from side to side, unsure. While the shop was never quiet, it was not a particularly busy week. She had things to do, but she enjoyed her work; it was only a pain when she had to make something in a boring colour or for someone she didn't care for. "There is a lot of work in it, but...I enjoy doing it. I've been working on making clothes for Deepfrost at the moment. Everyone suddenly wants to wear thick, heavy things in dull colours. But I say no! Let's wear thick heavy things in nice colours. Why not, right?"
Jiao