Personal Quest From the Ashes, part 2
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824

I am my mother's child, I'll love you till my breathing stops
I'll love you till you call the cops on me

Why on earth anyone continued to give Melita tools when she was woefully ignorant of them was a mystery – but it remained unsolved as she managed to make a heaping mess of the mortar. Instead of becoming upset, she laughed outrageously, giggling along as it slipped over her dress, and her face. She even made a mocking growl as Amalia ensured she had a matching set across her cheeks, pretending it was war paint, and she was the gleaming Amazon of the broken building, wielding her mighty munitions. It only took a moment for poor Andira to snatch them away from her, and then she was subsequently sent off to listen to the next set of directions.

Melita happily skipped over while munching on one of Amalia’s sandwiches, not a care in the world, used to days spent covered in dirt, brambles, thorns, and nettles, with the occasional stray bough sticking out of her hair. But according to Jigano’s impending task, she was going to get to use a hammer and be tossed into the air! Had her hands not been full of food, she would have eagerly clapped – she settled for an excited squeal and a fist pump instead, ready and fervent.

Then they were birds, and she was charmed, standing upon her pedestal with hammer in her grasp, eager for the upcoming movements. In no time at all, she was lifted, and then another set of wild, untamed shrieks of excitement filled her, an announcement, a proclamation, in the hall. “This is awesome!” Whether or not it was due to the flying, and she did take the opportunity to look down and survey things belong her (not a bird, but something like it), or the fact that she’d soon get to use a hammer to beat things into a wall didn’t seem to matter. She was thoroughly amused and taken in – and when it came time for her to utilize and implement her skills, she was mighty and stalwart again, hammering the anchors into the stones with an ardent relish.
M e l i t a
But in our darkest hours, I stumbled on a secret power
I'll find a way to be without you, babe

Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Neowulf Offline
Change author:
MP: 970
Once the lunch break was called Rory took a step back to observe what they had achieved so far, and really, it was quite impressive. The scaffolding was neat and secure (and only as safe as you made it; anyone could jump over the railing if they wanted to) and had served its purpose well, and the progress that had been made with the stonework made a stark difference from the view that morning. Content, both with the visible results and the feeling of hard work taxing his body, Rory sauntered after the others for some much-needed water and sandwiches.

Another thing that pleased him was seeing the faces of his friends as they worked: Amalia, laughing and playing with Melita, who grinned bright enough to rival the sun... Rory glanced up at the remaining work while chewing on his sandwich; a dark prickle of hesitation, doubt, fear in his heart.

What if this pleasant day was to change?

But he forced that aside, nodding as Jigano laid out the next set of tasks. It wasn't the first time he'd use his ponies to power a pulley system—the Long Night was both fresh and oddly distant in his memory still, the haze of pain, the confusion, the terror of the dark and the single-minded determination to fix that perch...

Once Sascha's platform was done Amalia and Jigano changed; Rory watched them with unreadable eyes, used to the thing he did not allow himself to feel much. It passed like a shadow under the surface, masked by his appreciation of their avian forms—one the most silent killer, the other, cunning and regal.

He didn't stay to watch their work end, but rather headed outside to his ponies, to check their harnesses and tighten their girths and make sure that they were properly prepared for the work. Then, once Melita was done with her bit and the strong ropes were pushed outside, Rory hitched them to the harnesses. Their pulley system was locked and loaded and ready to go.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Sascha had been able to use his skill to make a solid platform that held together well. His carpentry was proving integral to the entire endeavor, and he received many smiles and hearty pats on the back for the work he was doing. On top of that, he was getting a chance to showcase his skills, and as the day wore on a few townsfolk stopped by to express interest in trading for his carpentry skills in other projects as well.

Amalia ‘s presence was a boon for many reasons. Her contribution to the sandwiches was extremely welcome, of course, but she was also looked up to by many in the town, both as a Chandrakant and for her own growing list of deeds. She gave heart to many of those working throughout the day, and her owl shift earned murmurs of appreciation from those who had not realized she had become Attuned – though no one was really surprised that the pious woman had been favored by the gods she had prayed to so long and hard. Her rope was tied a little less tightly than it might have been, but in spite of a lurching shift when the platform first began to rise, it held steady thereafter.

Melita might have had grey stripes on her cheeks, and Andira’s ire for her messiness, but her antics had others laughing behind the hands when the stonemason couldn’t see them, and there was no doubt that she brightened the day of those laying stone atop her mortaring until the break for lunch and the next task. The platform was raised steadily until she was in place, high up at the broken dome of the ceiling, and her strength and dexterity were such that she was able to sink all three pulleys with both speed and skill, in spite of it being her first time using the tools.

Rory and his ponies were key elements once the pulleys were in place. They provided the lift needed to raise the larger stone blocks up until they could be hooked and guided into place by men and women standing on the scaffolding and wall itself. The afternoon heat was punishing, but both man and horses endured with the help of a nearby water barrel kept fresh and full for them, and Jigano came over more than once to check on all three. And if he stole the occasional brush of fingers and softened smile with the handsome blond, well, most people were too busy to officially notice.

As the afternoon wore on, the scaffolding reached as high as it would need to go, outpacing the laying of stone as a few simple windows were added in higher up, necessitating a bit of magic to help strengthen and stabilize their stone frames, but there was one more challenge yet to overcome.

Jigano called Sascha over, showing him the architectural plans he and Andira had been studying as the work had progressed. ”We’re going to need three large wooden arches to hold up the repaired part of the ceiling,” he explained. ”That connect to the broken ends of the ones already up there.” Several of the men and women who had helped with the scaffolding came over, eager to assist the cheerful Outlander carpenter.

He nodded to Melita and Rory next. ”And once they’re ready to be placed, we’ll need strong arms to help steady them on the wall-end while they’re secured to the cleaned up edges of the previous arches…” He turned to grin at Amalia. ”That’s where we come in, flying up to saw or cut the broken ends of the beams so something more-or-less smooth so they can be fitted together. It’ll be a bit rough to balance up there, but if we slip we can transform into our bird shapes and shouldn’t get hurt. After that one of the mages can transmute the broken ends and the fresh ends into single, whole pieces.” He looked around, eyes bright with a pride even the weariness of the day’s tasks couldn’t dim. They were finally fixing the Atheneum and they were getting close!

New tasks as the afternoon wears on – can they finish before the daylight fades? How do you go about your tasks?

Posting Order:
1. Sascha
2. Amalia
3. Melita
4. Rory
Sascha Bach
Carpenter

Age: 28 | Height: 175 cm (5'7) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Valentine Offline
Change author:
MP: 305

Even though the aches and bruises gained during the day Sascha lit up in joy as his work seamed so appriciated. The pats on his back and praises he got made the man smile and it almost seamed like the throbbing of his sore body became numb and more bearable the more praise he got. And when the people came up to him, showing their intresst in his work and possibilities for trading the pain seamed more like a distant memory. He thanked them all and gave the response that he would gladly trade with them after this project was done. He really felt amazing so when Jigano called him over he lit up the surroundings with his smile and listened carefully to the next instructions.

As he got the instructions he gladly let out a "Yessir!" and turned to the people that were helping him to tell them what they needed to do for it all to come together smoothly. As soon as he could he gladly went back to his workstation and started on the next steps while helping the people in his group to get started with their tasks.
SASCHA
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
The scaffolding is surprisingly successful, and the baker feels a swell of confidence and purpose, pleased to be part of the rebuilding of the library where she spent so much of her youth. This newest part of their task complete, Amalia flies down from her perch and lands beside Jigano before shifting back to human form, listening to his next set of instructions with eager, curious ears. Cut the broken end of the beams- and the girl tilts her head a little, glancing at the saws on the ground. As an owl she absolutely cannot lift these tools, but...

Grinning a little, the girl bends down, slinking down to a feline shape, her eyes glinting up at Jigano as they narrow into slits. Taking the saw into her mouth she takes a careful step back before leaping, her powerful hind legs launching her up onto the top of an empty bookshelf. Shaking herself off she jumps again, her musculature impressive beneath her figure. Easily the leopard can clear twenty feet; one more careful leap and she is at the top, landing upon the arches.

With a feral smile she shifts back down, her legs dangling over the side of the wood. Taking the saw into her hand, the nimble baker sets to work, cutting diligently at the edges in an attempt to smooth them down.
a m a l i a
You were young and you'd stare With a reverence unimpaired
Searching in your dark eyes to find the stars already there

Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:

The honeybee girl was only too eager to help, and her exuberance paid off in spades – emitting her last squeal of delight once she departed from the stands, and gave her tools back (which was really too bad, because all of the things they’d been letting her use would’ve made excellent weapons). The next set of directions were announced after lunch and a break, and when Jigano turned towards her and Rory, she was surprised that she was being called for her strength again. Maybe it was because she’d never thought of herself as strong; perhaps in mind and spirit, but after all her training, all her efforts, perhaps now was the time where she could be considered more than persevering. “Won’t let you down!” She winked at Jigano, then twisted her mischievous grin back to Rory, pulling back a sleeve to insinuate her massive muscles (lean at best).

Then she waited for Amalia and Sascha to be finished or in place, before their roles were necessary, marching over to where the arches would need their support. Her hands grasped hold of the ends, and then a little higher up once she felt secured, grounding her weight into the floor, practicing the precision and strength training Wessex had always insinuated to her. Even if the task was tough, the girl drew in deep, slow breaths, tightened her core, hoping to add brawn into her stance.
M e l i t a

Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
It was harsh and unforgiving out in the stark sunshine. Rory once again forsook his shirt, sweat slicking his skin and shimmering in the light. He drank plentifully, and made sure to keep the ponies well hydrated too. They rested in the shade whenever they weren't pulling, and during a short break he had braided up their bountiful manes to keep their necks cool on both sides.

And occasionally, after particularly strenuous intervals, he dumped precious water on them.

But finally the heavy lifting (or pulling, on their part) was over. Rory unhitched the pair and tethered them at the post again, loosening girths and providing them with some much-deserved hay before retreating inside to the Atheneum to receive his next set of instructions.

Once they were delivered he looked to Melita, who offered her infectious grin. Rory fought the urge to chuckle at her, instead replying dryly, "I think this hulking behemoth can do all the work herself, I doubt my help is needed." But still he followed to his appointed position, straining as he braced to keep the wooden arches stable. And he was slightly surprised by his own strength—historically, Rory had never been buff, or that strong. Perhaps he was eating better, or something...
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Sascha might have taken a while on his own, but with a crew of willing hands to help, he managed to get the first arch completed, and after that the next two went much faster. The individual pieces of wood came together well, fitting firmly and being hammered diligently into place. Once they were complete a short, slightly pudgy older man came over, humming cheerfully as he set his hands against the major joints of each arch in turn. The wood shifted, binding together even more strongly around the nails as he transmuted the joints to a stronger, denser type.

Amalia ‘s acrobatics earned an audience, the flashy moves of the leaping leopard catching the crew by surprise, but as she leaped up the scaffolding and from there to a still-stolid stretch of roof many of those below stopped what they were doing to watch her and break into applause and cheers of appreciation for her display. Her sawing doesn’t have the best angle and is a little jagged, but the same could be said for Jigano’s work. The bard took his raven form once more, hauling a saw up by brute force gripped in his talons, though he grunted and struggled to make it at the end. It didn’t help that Rory had taken his shirt off down below, thoroughly distracting the white-haired man as he had watched his lover working with appreciative eyes before Andira had cuffed him back to focusing on his own tasks. His own work with the saw was subsequently barely up to the task as he continued to steal glances down to the man working on the ground below, but luckily it was just barely good enough.

With the help of the crew, Melita and Rory were able to get the arches up to the top of the scaffolding and seated in the bases made for them amidst the new stone wall. As they steadied them, holding them as near to flush with the newly-smoothed ends of the old, broken beams a regal looking older woman, slender as a reed and with grey hair piled in a stately coil around her brow was raised on the platform that had been used to drill the pulley anchors before. Placing her hands on the new joint of first one, then the second, then the third arch as the platform was carefully shifted by means of ropes, she transmuted the old wood and the new to a single, seamless whole as the sun touched the horizon.

As everyone gathered at the base of the wall to admire their work, Jigano stepped forward once more, a tired but broad smile on his face as he looked around at everyone congratulating each other and wiping sweat from their brows. ”Thank you, to all of you,” he said, bowing deeply to the friends and neighbors who had all pitched in. ”I never dreamed that we could put the wall up so quickly, but thanks to the talents of us all – Abandoned, Attuned, Accepted, Ascended – each offering their strengths, we have done something today that the Loreseekers will be writing down in the history books. Only one task remains for tomorrow: putting the roof into place to cover the last hole. I know many of you are busy, but I ask a few more hours of your time tomorrow to see the job finished. Will you help, one last time?”

A few had to shake their heads regretfully, having given all the time they had to spare from their own lives and tasks, but there were enough that nodded that the bard relaxed, bowing his head again in profound gratitude.

The day dawned clear and hot again, the scaffolding inside the Atheneum providing a switchback path up to the top of the wall and the roof beyond. Wood and shingles had already been lifted up by the few Ascended, who had graciously worked through the night and begun to lay planking before the sun rose, and Jigano was helping to direct the flow of traffic as more people came to take a load up and begin hammering more boards into place. ”Pick your preference,” he called to his friends cheerfully as they showed up for the final push. ”Either help lay and hammer in the planking to support the roof, or follow behind the plankers and secure the roofing tiles to keep the building dry. We’ll be done by lunch, at this rate!”

Last round! Choose a job and let’s get this roof patched to keep out the rain!

No posting order!
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:

Despite her endless amusement at the provided tasks, it was also a welcome relief that they were nearly completed. How marvelous the Atheneum would be – after everything was finished, after holes were contorted back into walls, after ceilings were raised, after beauty was restored. It was already a work of beatific art, with its library, its marble countenance; it just needed the brandished touches, rejuvenation and renewal at the spread of their hands. There was only the roof left – and even with fatigue stretching its way through her fingertips, she’d be back again the next day, ready, eager, and fervent.

By the time the dawn arrived, she and Fangorn had returned, the latter sniffing at things on the floor, the former attempting to pick between the two things left. She hemmed and hawed, because both sounded like enjoyment, but in the end, went with her favored weapons. “I can help lay and hammer!” Then she got to it, following the flow of other workers, grabbing hold of the hammer, despite any of Andira’s frowns (not heeded by the girl at all, enjoying the feel of the weight in her hands, the might behind each swing), holding planking down before executing more moves. Sometimes she honed her precision practice in place, other times they were wild and savage motions, for the pure amusement and zeal of it.
M e l i t a

Sascha Bach
Carpenter

Age: 28 | Height: 175 cm (5'7) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Valentine Offline
Change author:
MP: 305
Sascha felt overwhelmed with pride over how good it all tuned out and how well the workers helping him did. He may be bruised and cut after this work session but still that smile never faltered from his face. Only time it wasn't as wide was when he focused hard on his measurements but it still laid lurking on his face cause he had nothing at all to complain about. He was helping out and it went very well non the less! He made new friends, got offers of work and the mere sight of how pleased this made his friend Jigano made the sore body lose all say. He couldn't care less about the pain, this was a good day for him.

He had become dirty after all work, streaks of sawdust and black marks smeared on his face and the black clothing had turned into a dusky gray color. Bloody hands and bruises and his hair looked like it had sprung to life of its own when he went to the gathering. Smile wide on his face even though one could clearly see that he had become exhausted after all the work. He listened to Jigano's word with a growing pride and was one of the first that nodded to show he would gladly help out with the last bit tomorrow as well.

Sascha became a bit hesitant over the last task though since he was a bit.. well lets be honest.. severely afraid of heights. He looked at the work at hand with clear nervous expression but soon enough i forcefully replaced it with a smile instead. It was sure to be fine after all, and it was the last thing to do as well. It was alright. He scurried off to help out with keeping the building dry, strong in his faith that he was going to survive this.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
The next day Amalia returns with a new outlook and a new outfit, ready to finish their work. After dispensing scones to the morning workers Amalia stretches, her body miserably sore from the day before, eager and ready to take up a task and do whatever job comes next. Sitting on a pile of rocks, Amalia listens to Jigano's instructions and tilts her head, watching others choose their jobs.

When Melita chooses the hammer the girl hops up to help, snagging her own and falling in alongside, not least of all to help ease things over with Andria, who seems to have developed an irate, reluctant affection for the exuberant child. The baker follows the old woman's lead, nailing down the boards and tiles and wiping sweat from off her brow.
a m a l i a
You were young and you'd stare With a reverence unimpaired
Searching in your dark eyes to find the stars already there

Leatherworker

Change author:
As Jigano held his little thank you speech in the oncoming dark Rory found that a day's hard work had whittled away his concerns about being proper in public. Which meant that after most friends and workers trailed out of the Atheneum, Rory—still sun-warm and sweaty—did his best to waylay Jigano. Perhaps it would involve rough kissing and being pushed back against walls. Perhaps it wouldn't.

Anyway.

He was, of course, back the next day: fully dressed, watching the scaffolding with contemplative blue eyes in the morning light. Rory..wasn't sure if he was a fan of heights. Trees? Sure. Buildings? Mmh... but, if he had stood at the top of the Spire and watched the world stretching beyond his previously known horizons...

So he walked up the scaffolding with the others, choosing to follow behind the rest and lay out and secure the tiling. It was soothing and repetitive and not so exhausting, which was a nice change of pace.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
A weary and happy Jigano, proud of his friends and grateful to them and all those who had come to assist, was remarkably easy to waylay in the gentle twilight shadows. Fingers twined in sweat-dampened blond hair and the new wall was tested for its ability to withstand the pressure of two bodies pressed against it - a test it passed with flying colors, as it turned out, even if afterwards the pair both needed to stop at the water pump back at the farm to scrub the still-curing mortar from their skin and clothes.

There were more reasons than one for his cheerful mien the next morning, and he hummed softly to himself as he followed Rory up the scaffolding to lay roof tiles behind the work of Sascha , Melita , and Amalia as they laid the broad planks across the arches that had been fit into place the day before. There were fewer people than yesterday, but the work was lighter, too, and even in the Longheat sun a cooling breeze blew at that height, taking some of the edge off the warmth as the morning turned to afternoon, and the last tiles were affixed to the trapdoor that led them back down the scaffolding to the cool shadows of the Atheneum below.

And shadowed it was, with the great hole replaced with a fresh wall. Slender windows high up the wall let more natural light in, while magically created panes of thick, sturdy glass would keep out the rain. Shelves and stairs could be added later, but the bones of the work were done, and the Atheneum stood whole once more.

This concludes the PQ to repair the Atheneum! Thank you very much to everyone who participated!