Falcons
Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 8 - Int:
Played by: Neowulf Offline
Change author:
MP: 970
RORY
i told the stars about you
There were things he had been neglecting: things he had shied away from, things his mind hadn't wanted to handle and put somewhere out of reach, where he would forget about it, and only remember it when he couldn't do anything about it. They were slightly uncomfortable things, not quite fitting his skull without causing pressure, things he had never been very good at—Rory had always been kind, yes, but he had distanced himself for a reason.

Much of it was to do with what had happened anyway, but some ways because he did not always know how to handle things—people.

Are you sure, though?

No.

Back when Ronin had been dead—irreversibly, uncompromisingly, mercilessly dead. Rory had wanted to be his friend, to find some way to comfort him, soothe him, to turn back time to a time when his stomach fluttered looking into those seafoam eyes, when the Alchemist drank in the world and sketched it and the darkness of this place hadn't gotten to him yet—

But he hadn't known how to, and he had been too cowardly to try, and the moment had passed, anyway, and now Ronin was alive and watching Remi with him was beautiful though Remi was blind and—and

That was precisely the reason Rory came to Remi's shop. That "and", the whole list preceding it, the whole list following it. Rory should've been a friend—should've been there for him—but he hadn't. And at some point, you had to start daring things, and now seemed as good a time as any. After all, someone was busy turning his entire life upside down (long live the Queen), so why not rock his own stability boat even more?

He bit his lower lip for a moment, hard enough to wince, then he gently pushed the door open with his free hand (the other was occupied by something delicious-smelling wrapped in a small cloth). "Remi?" he called into the shop.

[ for Remi <3 ]
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
it was all dead end roads, heaven knows
The world for Remi now was a startlingly different landscape. Places unknown to him were wreathed in blacks and low contrast lines that made it nearly impossible to discern the ground from the sky. And places he did know well—the guild, his home?—they were lined with silver and white. Distinguishable, but without saturation. Dull. Lifeless. The only saving grace was that for all the diminished hues, their utter and complete lack of anything made the few people that Remi could see, appear positively radiant in comparison. They blazed with colour and definition, and while Remi wasn't certain, he thought it was simply those with whom he was most familiar who received this colourful-treatment (wrong).

The sound of the door opening did not draw the alchemist's attention. Many came and went, using the various tools Remi had created, the work stations, the resources. Such was the purpose of this place after all. But hearing his name, especially in a tone of voice that he immediately recognized however, did stall his movements and cause a lazy smile to spread across his face. Covered in charcoal (when wasn't he), Remi was bent over a rather interesting piece of parchment. Each stroke upon its surface caused a 3D representation to appear in the air before him. Illusory though it was, it was extremely helpful in trying to plan out different creations that Remi was working on, rather than expending the magic needed to physically proceed by trial and error. The illusion was a telescope, though neither man would likely know that word for it. Instead, Remi had taken to calling it his star-gazer; a project he'd been working on for years now.

"Rory?" Remi returned, the name made buoyant thanks to his accent as the alchemist set his stub of charcoal down. Squinting through the haze, he could make out smudges of gold outlining the farmer's face, his skin like umber, and eyes like smears of sapphire. Smile widening with boyish ease, the alchemist tilted his head softly to the side, surprised at the sudden appearance of the man that he'd always had a not-quite-missed-connection with.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Leatherworker

Age: 36 | Height: 175cm / 5'9 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
RORY
Seeing Remi like that made his heart ache, a feeling both fond and slightly sad: focused on his project, completely heedless of his charm and his cleanliness, charcoal everywhere. For a single moment longer absorbed by his work, until his name broke the spell, and he looked up—smiling that boyish, charming smile. Rory felt his eyebrows draw together, his heart skipping a beat again, thrown back into memories (and acceptance of the fact that Remi would always be boyishly handsome, and that he would always react this way, and that there was nothing wrong with it). The only difference—aside from everything that had happened—was his eyes, the seafoam pale and brittle, so obviously wrong.

Then Rory returned the smile, the growing ache in his chest subsiding a little. Times changed—that was the only thing that was certain. "The one and only," he responded, bright and light and something close to a laugh weaving along the words.

Taking care not to upset anything on the way Rory made his way into the shop, crossing over to Remi and his charcoal and his parchment and .. whatever it was floated above it. It looked like some kind of tube, but knowing Remi and his penchant for wondrous things and dreams made real, it was likely something wondrous and dreamy.

Rory placed the cloth-covered baked goods down on a bit of clutter-free surface (possibly having to invent the clutter-free surface in the process), a small smile staying on his face as he studied the Alchemist. He seemed better than the last time they'd met alone.

And the words were on his tongue, crawling along his lips, so tempting to say: I'm sorry I've been such a shit friend. I should've been here for you. I should've done more.

But it felt wrong to make it about himself, or to lead with such an empty apology: sincere, yes, but if that was what he said, he would say it again, and again, never changing, yet always apologizing. Instead, as his eyes hungrily traced the strange object rising from the parchment, he said: "How are you doing?"

Better to move forward, and do better.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi responded to the acknowledgement with a cheerful laugh, his cheeks dimpling with an unfettered smile. Immediately forgetting about what it was he was working on, the alchemist faced Rory squarely, watching as his friend neared how some of his featured became more clear, whereas others still remained like imperfect brush strokes.

"Nice to see you." Remi offered, his tone even for just a moment as he let the irony of his statement stretch out between them, before grinning boyishly. Already he was finding it strange just how uncomfortable his shattered sea-foam gaze made others, and of course he made every attempt he could to ease the tension (poor jokes, included).

"Ahh, well.." Falling silent for a moment, Remi felt himself hesitate. The answer to that question usually depended on who had asked it. Close friends received a different answer than acquaintances or passersby. But Rory? Where and who was Rory, on that spectrum? Sometimes it felt as though the quiet moments of cloud-watching, or being scolded for sitting too close to the spire created a strange link. They were nothing-moments to be sure, but somehow they were palpable too. The only trouble was, when Remi thought about them too long, the weightiness floated away. He couldn't name what it was he felt or thought. And so while Rory was, probably, an acquaintance at best, he had never really felt like one.

"I proposed to Ronin." He said; shy in his newly official love for the ex-captain. Biting the inside of his lips to keep his smile from cresting too quickly across his face, he flashed a smile up towards Rory. Not even the what-ifs were enough to still the acceleration of Remi's heartbeat at hearing the words come out of his own mouth. "So...despite everything, I would say that I am..." Trailing off, his sunny affect making it too hard for even him to speak for a moment, he simply ended the sentence in soft shrug.
Leatherworker

Change author:
RORY
For a moment, Remi's rather awful joke had him perplexed—just a momentary, tiny stab of anxiety. Did I do something wrong? Is he not happy to see me? Why that even tone?

It wasn't even half a second, then his brain pieced it together: oh. "Hah," he said, showing his disdain (jokingly, of course) and how thoroughly unimpressed he was with it—but the smile stretching across his face was wide and genuine, his soul warmed despite the rather dreadful fact that such a joke could be made at all. And suddenly, there were so many things he wanted to ask: was Remi's vision impaired even as an animal? How much did he see, if anything at all? What had caused it? What could be done about it? How could he work, sketch, create this wondrous and dream-like thing if he couldn't see it?

But it seemed a little rude to just roll up to him and then demand all the juicy deets about his handicap. So he kept his mouth shut on that particular subject, at least for now.

The answer to his question lingered in a thoughtful silence—he didn't want to call it uncertain, but maybe it was, or maybe that was just his anxiety. He busied his hands by running the pads of his fingers across the underside of the counter, tangled up in the memory of the previous conversation, when he had pressed the Alchemist.

This time, an answer came; not a full-blooded confession of his state of being, but not merely a socially accepted case-closed comment either. And not the one he had expected, either. Rory had seen the change in how they interacted, especially so at the meeting, and he had had his guesses about what that change represented. And he had been glad to see it, to know that they had each other, that Ronin was no longer dead and among the stars...

Rory's smile grew. He wanted to oooh the whole thing, become five years old and exuberant and much too chatty and interested in this coming wedding, but he felt as if the flow of the conversation somehow didn't allow for it. There was something in the timing, the cadence, that held him back. If he wanted to go oooh and gush about it he should've done that the moment Remi confessed to proposing, not a few seconds later when the man was just standing there, smiling and radiant.

"I'm very happy for you," he ended up saying, warm and genuine, but it felt inadequate. It didn't quite encompass all the things he felt, and it felt too shallow, somehow, like it couldn't convey how deeply he meant it. "For both of you." Slowly, he felt his smile turn a fraction more mischievous, more of a grin. "How did he react? Have you decided on when you'll have the ceremony?"
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
The alchemist grinned brightly, winking up at the other man, appearing all too cherub-like in his own self-approval of what was a fairly lame joke.

And then...there was the silence.

It stretched and stretched and lasted far longer than it actually did. Though Remi's smile remained where it was, inside he felt himself curl and wither slightly. He put silent words to things he couldn't name, the implication of that silence causing something to stir and chill. Is he not happy I am getting married? as if that should matter. And then equally as problematically: good.

But time had not really stopped, and the buzz of his thoughts dissolved into white noise in the face of Rory's congratulations. "Oh, well he was quite concussed at the time." Remi replied easily, a boyish sort of what can you do shrug causing his broad shoulders to rise and fall. "He did say yes, but then also asked me to hold his hair while he threw up." The alchemist added, smiling fondly at the memory.

Ruffling a hand through his curls and then leaning his chin against his palm, Remi nibbled the inside of his lip as he gave a more or less nod. "Soon, I think. The height of LeafChange. I think...we both realized how precious life is, what with .." Remi gestured vaguely at his eyes with a light sigh. "..and with Ronin have quite literally died."
Leatherworker

Change author:
RORY
Concussed? What on earth had they been doing? Rory still found himself snorting in an amused fashion; he couldn't claim to know either Remi or Ronin all that well, but somehow, it seemed entirely fitting and right that Remi proposed while Ronin was in such a state. "What a sight that must've been," he said with a small laugh, his fingers having stilled underneath the counter. "What had happened to him, though?"

There was a feeling in him that he was not quite used to, something that was warm and content and bright, and the way it didn't fit inside of him wasn't uncomfortable, just.. strange. It was a deep, deep happiness for them, a sort of vicarious love he felt when he saw Remi's smile. (And yes, there would always be a shadow across his memories, a what if that he could never shake, but it was such a small thing next to the other.)

"Leafchange is a good choice," Rory agreed with a solemn nod. "A quieter time of year, but still good weather for an outdoor ceremony and a night of celebrating. And then the Festival of Lights," the last mostly a murmur as an entirely unrelated concern flashed through his mind: do I need to make a lantern for my sister this year?

He swallowed. "And as you say.. life can be brief and fragile," which wasn't exactly what Remi had said, but Rory was, in that regard, perhaps a more pessimistic sort. "I'm very glad he's back, though.. for Aoife's sake, and yours." And everyone else's, but that didn't matter as much.
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Mmm." Remi readily agreed, with the sort of easy-come expression of one who in fact does just that, letting the world breeze him around and like a leaf on the breeze, allowing it. Then, with only the smallest hint of a frown, he chuckled. "It...was when Jigano and Amalia and Deimos went into the Spire. Ronin was with them, though he hardly made it passed the stairs." The alchemist's lips twitched upwards in a smile, genuine be fleeting. "I had all sorts of things planned, things to say...but concussed and having nearly avoided death once again I found I could not help myself." Remi's boyish smile suggested that he hadn't wanted to, either.

Puzzled and half-forming words, Remi nearly said the thing. The thing which was, in another world, perhaps not so far from this one, it would have been you, you know. I would have known the smell of your hair and tasted the sweat on your skin. I would have known you in the way I only almost do now. And I think it is because that world is so close, that I can feel it. But it was just that: a shadow of a something, an echo that Remi didn't quite hear anymore, but that he remembered hearing, and that some part of him wanted to keep hearing.

"Yes. At dusk I think, or just after. So the stars will be out. Ronin's..." Jealousy was not an emotion the alchemist had really ever felt, and he didn't feel it now. Still, he wasn't entirely sure what language to use when he spoke of Vanya. "The love that Ronin lost last LongNight...She is in the stars, where he used to be. If the skies are clear, hopefully we can see her, and she us."

The mention of Aoife relit the brilliance of Remi's smile and he found himself nodding in earnest. He truly adored the girl, no part of him thinking that she wasn't his. For one like Remi, whose blood-family had been awful and whose adopted-family had been everything, biologically ties hardly mattered.

"And you? How are you Rory?" He asked, head tilted upwards towards his friend, the genuine curiosity in his voice evident.