Training A Range of Ranged Weapons
For Melita
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Adam
The fist pump and accompanying 'whoop!' made Adam laugh, appreciate of Melita's enthusiasm if nothing else. He wasn't sure if he was actually doing well (though admittedly he had practice before, and aiming practice as well from his gun training) or if she was just being kind, but the easy praise made him feel good.

He was always up for a challenge, so at Melita's suggestion he nodded and lifted the bow again, reaching for the extra arrows he needed. He barely even heard that there was a prize. For Adam, the success of achieving a difficult goal was a prize enough in itself; a chance to feel proud. He aimed the first shot, at a target just behind the first - and hit, the arrow not central but {i]thunk{i}-ing into the target regardless.\n\nThe second arrow hit it\'s target too, tho it was closer to the edge. Adam took a breath and tried to centre himself before the third, which got closer to the centre of one a little further away. He smiled, then turned to Melita. [say}"Do I get any re-dos if I fuck up the next two?"

Collected my belongings and I left the jail.
Well thanks for the time, I needed to think a spell.
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
MELITA
There; she’d finally gotten a laugh out of him. She tucked her hands and arms behind her back and grinned, nestled those thoughts away as he began attempting her challenge. Her eyes watched as the first arrow hit, and she didn’t care if it wasn’t in the middle – because it was a success. Sometimes that was all that mattered – persevering, enduring, persisting when there was nothing else. Trying benefitted doing naught at all, instead of curling into a ball, defeated, useless, ineffectual –

Now she was distracting herself.

Her gilded gaze caught the second arrow’s flight, closer to the fringes, but still there, and the third was far better, inching nearer and nearer to the outlined middle. At his grin and inquiry, she endeavored one of her own, mischief and impish regards curled along her lips, stare otherwise innocent. “I’ll allow it,” she nodded her assent, but then supplied advice too, tipping her head to study and peruse the length of the bow, the tightness of the strings, the ramifications of ease and lack of torment. “See how close you were to the last one? Release the tension in yourself – you took a breath. Do it again. You have time.” There was always a moment for precision: she’d learned that herself, strived to put it into practice now and again, so the impulsive and impetuous didn’t outweigh tactics and strategies, meticulousness and deliberation. There was certainly room for it in her soul.
See I've come to burn your kingdom down
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Adam
Relaxing a little with the second chance offered to him in case of a mistake, he took her advice to settle himself and tried to entirely focus on the last two targets. He breathed slowly, cleared his mind (never something he'd found easy, thoughts seemingly always rushing around at the breakneck speed he lived the most of his life) and fired the first arrow.

It landed in the target squarely, almost central. Now feeling confident, he took another arrow and aimed faster this time, going for a mark further away; and of course, because he was too quick, too sure...it missed terribly. Adam stared at it for a while as if it would realise he was disappointed and move. It didn't, so he took another arrow. "...Guess I'm using my do over."

This time he focused himself again, forced himself to empty his thoughts and fired, getting the arrow to hit the target. Not perfect, but a hit.

With a little smile, he turned to Melita. "So what's the prize?"

Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
MELITA
Adam seemed to hasten to her advice again, breathing, settling, nearly hitting the middle on the first shot. She withheld her enthusiasm as best she could, not yearning to break his concentration, so she did some silent cheers with her fingers behind her back, a vivid smile painted on her lips. The second was a little fast, perhaps due to excitement or pride, and she didn’t grimace or wince, allowing him a moment to figure out what needed to be done on his own. On the last portion, he managed to get the arrow to its sanction, and she could finally release the breath she was holding. “Bravo! Fantastic! Well done!” She also made sure to give him several rounds of applause, while intermittently picking up all the arrows left around or within the shambled targets, placing them in her hands as she skipped along.

At his smile, at his turn, because he knew he’d been successful, she placed the weapons back into the quiver and hummed, as if mulling over the entire affair. Truth be told, she’d made up her mind already, but would see if it was acceptable to him. “Would you like your own bow?” Her gilded gaze flicked back to him, a little conviction, a little promise, a little vow curled and coiled in her essence. “I can make you one, and some arrows too. You’ll have a set just for you.” Her grin grew bolder, brighter, rays of sunshine and exultations. “It’ll take me a little time.” She might be able to finish it in a couple of days, then she could deliver it to wherever he lived – and he’d be capable of practicing whenever he wanted. He’d earned it.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
Melita's numerous rounds of applause as she picked up arrows were welcomed by Adam with a wide smile. Perhaps he was a prodigy, he thought. Maybe she really was so impressed because he was simply the best she'd ever seen - it'd make sense, as he was clearly the master of anything he tried.

The offer of a bow was something that would have brought an unimpressed scoff from him back in his world, where he had a unlimited supply of bullets and plenty of other weapons at his disposal in the enviroment, but here where options were scarce, it seemed a wonderful chance. "Oh, hell yea. That sounds great. Take as long as it takes."

With a softer smile he lightly touched her elbow. "..Thanks." True kindness and genorosity were not things he was used to, even after people he'd met in Caido that had taken him in and cared for him.

Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
The honeybee girl waited, head tilted, to see if he’d accept her offer or not. She truly didn’t have any other ideas in mind – so it was beneficial to say the least when his wide smile and voice favored the endeavor. Hers was equal in measure. “Wonderful! I can drop it off in a couple days. Where do you live?” After this, she likely could saunter into the woods to find some suitable branch or bough, maybe work a little harder on his than she had on her own (always in a rush; the heedless days swarming over the horizon much more often than deliberate, meticulous ones).

On impulse, she raised her bow again, notching an arrow into the quiver, and shot one off at the furthest target – waiting for it to fall, fall, fall, sink into the center, allow some precision in her life, some meaning, something not a variance, not a mistake, not a screw-up. She turned her head before it smacked into the middle of the hastily-laid target, but she could hear the result – the stones crumbled, the wood splintered, everything fell to the ground. The youth shrugged, then chuckled.

At his touch on her elbow, she twisted back to him. “You’re welcome. Let me know if you ever want any more practice.” Her eyes ghosted back to the disheveled adornments in the field. “I’ll have better targets ready next time.”
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:

Adam
Adam had learnt to not answer questions like where do you live? but he didn't have the reputation he'd once had here, and Melita seemed trustworthy enough, so after a moment's hesitation he answered: "I got a place where everyone's houses are. Near the edge. It has a big crack over the door and um..there's a bench thing outside." Hopefully this, and helpful neighbours, would guide her to the right house.

He watched, impressed, as she shot off a last arrow and landed it perfectly; it was the kind of showing off he was often prone too, and he recognised her playing the same game. Smirking, he shrugged as she disparaged her own targets. "I aimed at them and I hit them. They did the job, right?"

"...I'll go get the arrows that're left." He offered. Adam was not often one to clean up after himself, but Melita's kindness had to be repaid some way or another for him to feel comfortable accepting a gift. Hopping over the wall, he began to walk between the targets, grabbing arrows as he went (and appraising his own aiming all over again).

Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Change author:
MELITA
The youth put her bow down, then listened intently to Adam’s directions, nodding in understanding, committing them to memory. Near the edge, big crack over the door, bench thing outside. Hopefully she’d be able to locate it fairly quickly, and not poke around too much around other stranger’s houses. “Great! I’ll be sure to find it!” rang with such confidence and aplomb that there was no refuting it, accompanied with her generous grin.

They snickered and smirked though; precision amidst the crumbling stones and the snapped branches. But he didn’t mock the targets – and so she placed an easier breath into the air, nodded, gazing out over the landscape. Maybe next time she could show him the Monster Hunter Guild’s training grounds, where the targets were painted, and the space much more beneficial towards practicing and skill-building.

“Thank you!” She hollered out to him as he went and picked up the arrows left scattered amongst the grounds. The youth met him, striding over, Fangorn in tow, and snagged the remaining arrows. “I’ll see you again soon!” She winked and nodded, a wrinkle to her nose in amusement, proffering her convictions again in the shape of an impending bow – then nestled her way back through the grass, out into the sunlight.