A Skeptical Audience
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Age: 41 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
What in the hell was he doing? He wasn't sure. He just needed to see what all this was about, this 'Queen', this monarchy, it all seemed so... ancient to him, so archaic, but there was so much talk of her that he needed to make up his mind, once and for all. His steps were heavy as per usual, his face fixed with a weathered scowl. The audience chamber was opened for him, double doors widening as he strode through them cautiously, he wasn't quite sure what he was expected, that he wanted from this apart from to find out how she was, who she was.

He exhaled, his cool, almost cold demeanor scanning the room. It was ornate, regal, well furnished. But again, everything here was so out of his time. So foreign to him, he couldn't help but laugh a little at how silly it all seemed, like a pantomime he was in.

"What the hell have I gotten myself into... god damn." His words came hoarse, as but a whisper as he tried to work out the question out. It didn't seem like she was here to greet him, or welcome him. Not that he could see anyway. He wandered over to a wall, turning his back to it, his eyes looked at what exits he could see. It was a habit of his, a habit he'd picked up from battle, from being a soldier, a habit he couldn't break.

He waited. Waited to see this so called 'Queen'.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
One of the lackeys Zariah kept around had led Eli into the main meeting room. Though it was elegant and highly ornate for a Hollowed Ground abode, it was far from the sort of grandeur one might have expected. They left him alone in the room to fetch the Queen, who was frankly surprised that anyone had come at all. Very few dared attend her audience hours. And this particular one apparently had little to say.

He would hear the click of her heels against the floor well before he saw her. Zariah entered through one of the side doors, head held high, hazel eyes locked on him from the second she entered. She was a small woman - not in height though her wild curls made her look taller than she was - thin limbed with a delicate frame. She wore dark clothing, fitted pants, a plunging neckline, and a jacket with a stand-up collar and exaggerated tails. Her expression was doll-like, a wide eyed expressionless stare that appeared eternally youthful.

Yet despite her youthful visage and feminine delicacy, it was clear she was a woman of power. Every fiber of her being exuded it - power, control, strength. She was a predator and no matter his background, no matter his own strengths, she owned all that she laid her eyes on - him included.

"Welcome to my home, Eli. What matters might I help you with?" she said, her voice low and smooth as velvet.
zariah
If it is danger you seek, come on over. I covet tranquility but beget the tempest storm.
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Age: 41 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
His mismatched gaze looked up as he heard her approach, mind racing. The surly brute wasn't exactly sure what he was expecting, what sort of woman she was going to, what he even wanted. All he knew was that he needed to find out for himself, in person and so here he was, with her standing in front of him.

Eli hadn't exactly dressed for the occasion, he broad build made anything too formal looked stiff and awkward. He'd managed to get a hold of a few items of clothing that replaced what he had arrived in, they were to the point, effective, in parallel to himself.

He regarded her for a moment, a small sneer etched on his lips. Was this it? Really? She didn't seem all powerful, intimidating. Though he was still cautious, he wasn't an idiot, there had to be a reason she was in this position.

He moved forward a few paces, exhaling as his eyes locked with hers.

You're -it- then, mrm? The Queen. High and mighty title, but- why should I care? I'm not all too sure, that's why I came here, to see if I should give a single thought about you or not, because I just cannot work out how this is suppose to work."

For a moment he actually grinned at the sheer ridiculousness he found himself in, in his own eyes. The grin soon faded back to the cold, brooding demeanor on that, weathered, element scarred face of his.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
He wasn't impressed with her. It was etched in his face, echoed in his voice. No matter. She smiled at him - not pleasantly mind you - it was a wicked smile, a warning that he may have stepped into dangerous territories. Those who underestimated Zariah Launceleyn always regretted it. "I see. Well, you know what they say, judging a book by the cover...but perhaps I can enlighten you - consider it a gift despite your poor manners." she said coolly.

"If you are a resident of these Hollowed Grounds, you should care because I am your uncontested leader. And if you do not obey my rule, you will be fined or jailed." she said, tilting her head ever so slightly to the side. "Though, to personalize this message more for you, as it is clear the sort of man you are and it is easy to surmise the ways you might defy me, if you do not obey my rule, I will simply kill you." she said, her tone pleasant, light, as if discussing summer flowers or tea cakes.

"Does that clarify things for you, Eli?"
zariah
If it is danger you seek, come on over. I covet tranquility but beget the tempest storm.
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
"Will you indeed, and you think the threat of me dying would make me bend and scrape? Lady, I- might just escape this nightmare if I fell stone cold dead right now for all I know. This ain't my world, this ain't where I should be, yet I'm here. That sure doesn't sound like I am a citizen or a resident. I don't plan on staying for all too long. He nodded for a minute, eyes still fixed on her. He was determined, stubborn, there was a part of him that seemed almost gone, as if it had vanished a long time alone, replaced by a numbing void that nothing seemed to fill.

He sneered for a moment as he pondered a little more. He had to admit, she was headstrong, confident, a bully. She clearly got her own way all the time. In many ways she reminded him of himself, but better educated and not as... oafish.

He paced around her, still weighing up the options. He didn't want to be her enemy or against her, he didn't see the point, he wasn't some noble hero with a just cause, ready to oust the tyrant queen. Yet he owed her no loyalty, no devotion, he hardly knew her- but... when did a soldier ever feel so strongly about the place, or person he killed for? He exhaled.

"I ain't on anyone's side here, I don't care about what happens to the people living here, I don't care what laws you enact or enforce- I just want to get back." He was for the moment, placated.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah showed no real reaction to his words or his pacing. She simply continued to smile at him coldly, eyes watching him walk around. If this was some show to strength to intimidate her though, it clearly was not working. If anything she seemed mildly amused by his antics, rather like an adult watching a toddler throw a temper tantrum.

"I hate to break it to you, but once you're here, there is no going back. This is the world you live in, so you'd best get to picking sides, because I will not stand for anyone disturbing the peace and order I am building because they cannot get a grip on reality." she said lightly, again as if discussing something as mundane as the weather. "So is this your formal declaration of defection or will you kneel and submit to the authority of your new nation?"
zariah
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
He grinned a little, shaking his head. Did she really think he was going to kneel before her? Actually bend his knee and lower his head in deference? She was clearly mad if she thought he had any intention of doing what she said. She didn't have any sway over him, have any influence, this whole thing had been a massive waste of time, of energy.

"See you around lady. Do what you want, but I won't kneel."

He regarded her with a sneer and a look of cold dissociation as he turned, he was going, this 'queen' was just a girl playing at monarchy, he was now certain.

He made for the door, heavy steps echoing around the room, his hand reached for the handle and... locked. He snarled a little, yanking on it, it didn't budge. He turned on her, the surly brute marching toward her

"Open the door. Now." His words came snarling, commanding, a finger pointing round in the vague direction of the door. His mismatched eyes glared with a cold anger at her, at the girl queen.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah just continued to smile at Eli, a beautiful smile that was cold as ice, unwelcoming and bitter. It was his saving grace that he was clearly filled with fire and fight – for Zariah the Merciless had use for such traits even if they came packaged with defiance. But defiance was only temporary. She knew how to do away with such undesirable based traits. She waited patiently whilst he threw his temper tantrum, waiting, watching, not moving a muscle even as he charged towards her, as if his physical presence might intimidate her to bend.

Oh no. Not Zariah.

The second he was in reach, his hand mere hair’s breadth away from her person, lightning shot forth, running through his body with a force just powerful enough to send searing pain through every nerve and muscle fiber, stilling him before he fell to the ground, surely just on the brink of unconsciousness. But the Queen did not worry about that – those with fight like him would not succumb to the comfort of the subconscious so easily.

The Queen crouched down, placing a hand on his forehead, a soothing smile now tugging at her lips. New magic worked its way through his mind, seeping into every crevice, unnoticeable but still ever present as she worked her power of suggestivity. ”It is hard losing everything and appearing in this place, I know. But what I offer you is what you seek, isn’t it? I offer you purpose. I offer you power. I offer you meaning in this suffering called life. Certainly, to serve me faithfully as your Queen is but a small price for such bounty of gifts?” she said, her voice soothing and warm, wrapping around him like a comforting hug.
zariah
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
He wasn't quite sure what happened, he wasn't even sure it had happened, the pain that he felt was excruciating, so agonising, he produced no sound as his face contorted in pain and surprise, as if his very voice had left him. He crumpled in an instant, vision blurred. It all felt so distant, the world seem to leave him behind, and there was her voice, that... soothing, comforting voice. He strained, as if trying to listen as hard as he could to it. Images flashed through his mind, Zariah... her elegance, commanding presence, maybe... serving her wasn't so bad? Maybe it was the right thing to do. No- what. But she. She wasn't- He couldn't think he couldn't get her out of his head, as if her very being was pushing its way into his subconscious.

He murmured incoherently up at her, barely keeping himself from slipping into unconsciousness. It was if a weight had been lifted, what was the point of defying her? She clearly knew what was best, why not be on her side. Yes, it all felt so clear, he wasn't going to defy her, she was what this land needed, a strong head of state, someone to keep order, keep the peace and he would serve her, as only a good soldier did, he would follow her into the very maw of hell if she so wished it.

It all became so clear to Eli, she was his Queen. There was no room for doubt anymore.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah chuckled low under her breath, his incoherent mumbling a clear sign that her magic was at work. The mixture of pain and pleasure and now this suggestion made him all too easy to mold into whatever form she wished him to take. Now his fire and passion would belong to her, and serve her purposes, and it seemed his mind so weak, clear from his dazed expression and slack jaw - that she needn’t worry of any insubordination.

The Queen straightened, her hand trailing over his head and hair almost affectionately as she did so, her lips curved in a smirk. ”Rise to your knee, Eli, and swear your fealty to me then. I should hear it from your own lips that it is so.” she said, waiting for him to do so. It always pleased her when a plan fell into place, but this had been an unexpected win for the day. One more person bound to her in servitude. Edrei. Peter. Remi. Rexanna. Her guards. And now Eli. What a beautiful menagerie they were.
zariah
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
Eli finally began to come round, the world didn't quite seem as far, his surroundings slowly came back to him. His head, ached slightly, he closed his eyes for a moment before. Her voice perked him up suddenly, that commanding, soothing voice that continuing to ring inside his head, he did as told and slowly went to a knee, head lowering ever so slightly, eyes gazing up at her, as if not daring to stare directly at her.

"My Queen, I am yours until I fall in your service. Do with me as you wish, I swear myself, to you. Now and always." His words carried the same, gruff, hoarse tone they always did, as if she'd managed to cage an attack dog for herself. This felt so right, so proper, he had been such a fool to refuse her, to claim she was not his queen, when all along she was, she was the rightful monarch of these lands and any that opposed her would declare their loyalty or fall, there were no half measures. It was an absolute.

All of Caido would see the truth one way or another.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
Zariah grinned fully now, as Eli knelt and swore his fealty to her. Gently she placed a hand on his shoulder, trusting his knowledge of the magic of this world was yet infantile. Using her life drain magic, she pulled a bit of his energy from him, lifting her hand as she did so. This time, the sensation of her magic would be easily felt, as she ripped from him quite literally part of what sustained him. ”Your oath of fealty is made in magic, your will to act against me taken into my possession.” she said, still smirking down at him.

Had she actually taken away his free will? No. But some lies and smoke and mirrors could be more powerful than any truth.

”Go now and await your orders Eli. In the meantime, defend my name to those who would speak ill of me. Just don’t break any laws doing so.” she said, dismissing him from her presence.
zariah
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Change author:
Eli didn't understand magic, all he could do was take her word for it, as she wouldn't lie to him would she? Of course not.

He pushed himself smartly to his feet, standing to attention as only a good soldier would, eyes facing forward without looking directly at her, clearly out of respect and obedience and years of practiced military etiquette.

"Yes ma'am." came the reply, short, sharp, to the point, without a hint of reservedness. He dipped his head to her and turned sharply on his heel and moved off, the door finally open. It shut behind him, having finally seen the truth of things.