i'm not okay
rex, threadin with myself!
Kiada Njovu-Reyes
Hollowed Grounds Registrar

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 16 - Endr: 29 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2712
KIADA
i dream of gods and monsters
The Harpy has made it a point to visit the Notice Board, if for nothing else other than to make sure she doesn’t miss anything. It’s become a habit, every day, she travels to the Temple with Auni in tow, checks it and heads straight for Amalia’s Bakery. The little routine is enough to make herself feel somewhat normal, even if the rest of the world doesn’t. She knows she has Deimos supporting her, a shoulder to cry on should she ever break down again. She hopes she doesn’t, instead, burying it down until a later date when she can be alone and crumble.

It’s the name of the game.

Huffing quietly, Auni and her make their way toward the Temple for this leg of the trek, expecting nothing out of the ordinary. She sees the sign up sheet, her icy gaze hardening on the guards around the board before she turns away from the decrees, the pit of her stomach swarming with what she reads every time. At least, there’s nothing incredibly new. She does, however, regret losing her magic ability when it comes to flame and fury. She misses the ability of becoming a fiery tornado, intended to harm those that got too close.

She supposes she’s still like that, but with feathers and talons and a sharp beak.
and of the man who knew i was both
Kiada has a large X scar on the right side of her neck.
No permission needed for power play!
Feel free to use magic/force on Kiada, without killing her <3
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
the chains are broken
If she plans on keeping up appearances, Rexanna knows she must head toward the Notice Board and try to capture as many people as she can on her way there. It’s her job to spread the good name of the Queen, and she doesn’t intend to break that promise. There’s too much at stake, after all – and Rexanna isn’t sure what Zariah would do should she break the oath. As far as Rexanna knows, it’s magically binding, with the effects of breaking it unknown. She didn’t want to find out.

It’s on the walk toward the Notice Board that she spots a Luxere, smaller than most but with a glimmering set of antlers in the misty morning light. She recognizes the girl with him, but only for a split second, she recalls her spending time with Deimos at Amalia’s Bakery when she made decorations for Fiat Lux. It’s been awhile, and she doesn’t know where the girl’s been since then, but she seems dressed for war – sharp in leather and furs to ward against the chilly morning. Rexanna herself is adorned in furs, but appears far more court-like, and she approaches the girl unsuspecting in the hopes of learning who she is and perhaps using her to spread the word further.

She knows she’s beginning to sound like a broken record, with not much change in opinion from those within the Hollowed Grounds, but she keeps trying. And at least this way she can get up close to a Luxere. “Hello!” She cheers to the girl, sapphire gaze slipping from the girl toward the Luxere to whom she greets as well. “He’s beautiful, is he your companion?” She questions, eyes drifting back up toward the girl.

Small talk first, then the rest. That’s how it always goes.
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Age: 30 | Height: 5’7 | Race: Ancient | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
KIADA
Kiada is unsuspecting, mostly because she doesn’t get approached very often. She isn’t sure why it is, but she’s begun to think it’s because of her appearance. She seems sharp edged and dangerous, and she prefers it that way. There’s nobody to impress, and she frankly would rather not be talked to by random people of no interest to her. Apparently it doesn’t matter on this day, because the woman approaches from behind with a vaguely familiar voice, and immediately is interested in Auni.

She sighs quietly to herself, of course he’d be interesting. It’s not often you see a Luxere out and about, but the tiny deer appreciates the attention, and bounds over to the other woman to headbutt her in the leg. That is when Kiada turns, icy gaze sharpened until they land on her and Kiada freezes instantly. This is the woman Deimos pointed out, the one that’s supposed to be her mother and yet different – a different timeline, a different world, yet still the same. And her stomach sinks. She looks like she’s seen a ghost.

Swallowing hard, she nods in response to Rexanna. “Uh, yes. He is. I got him on Longnight.” She offers with a roll of her shoulders, lifting her head tall to look down on the woman. Had her mother always been so short? Had she gotten her height from her father? There’s so many questions she has, and so she swallows hard again, unable to figure out how to continue the conversation without it devolving into “do you remember me?” because Kiada has spent so long feeling like a ghost, a fragment of so many people’s memories, that for her to be real seems almost… Unreal.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
The Luxere is the first to greet her, and Rexanna is immediately surprised. She recalls when Wessex and her had tried to coerce them into coming near, to feed them before Longnight and they hadn’t even paid attention to them. She wonders if him being a companion had rid him of the dislike toward the Destined and she smiles a brilliant grin, reaching over to greet the creature as he collides with her knees. His fur is just as soft as she imagined, and her eyes flick up to look at the girl as she stumbles, stuttering as though she’s seen a ghost.

For a moment, Rexanna is confused, slightly concerned that the girl might need some help, until she somewhat recovers and gives a half answer. Fair enough, she’s dealt with it before with the original inhabitants of the Hollowed Grounds. She can work with this. The girl speaks of Longnight, and Rexanna frowns in response and nods understandingly. “Longnight was a very difficult time.” She acknowledges, glancing down toward Auni who’s antlers pulse lightly with a pale glow.

It seems like you’ve gotten a bit of light in the darkest of nights, though? You’re very lucky.” She says, offering her a small smile. “I’m R—
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
Auni doesn’t particularly care who is giving him attention, so long as someone is. And for that little happiness, Kiada is happy for him. But this conversation is about to get far more awkward than it had already began as Rexanna begins to speak of Longnight. Suddenly, Kiada realizes that Rexanna has been here that long and still hadn’t come to reach out to her. Perhaps she has forgotten, or simply not cared. She’d believe either of those options. And for a moment, she begins to feel angry, a flame burning within her chest.

She doesn’t even hear Rexanna speak of Auni being the light in the dark, all she hears is her beginning to introduce herself, and Kiada stops her short. “Rexanna, yeah I know.” She snips, perhaps a bit unintentionally, but she grits her teeth as her icy gaze hardens on the woman. Almost accusingly – almost saying “after everything, how could you forget?” But she takes a moment to gather herself once again, remembering that this woman isn’t directly her mother, but a version. She hopes deep down this Rexanna is a better mother.

Reaching up to pinch the bridge of her nose, she exhales loudly and furrows her brow. “Ugh.” She pauses, hand dropping to her side as she searches for her mother’s eyes again. “I thought you’d come find me earlier than now, unless of course you don’t recognize me.” She snaps again, accusingly. She’s trying so hard to not start a fight, but gods she wants to. Someone should be punished for the terrible things she’d had to endure.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
Suddenly, the cheer is gone from Rexanna’s nature toward the girl as the area almost begins to feel hostile. She doesn’t know what she’s done other than perhaps be a bit annoying, but she’s taken back when the girl cuts her off and says her name. “Ah, we’ve met before?” She begins, pausing to stare at the girl who looks back at her with fire and ice, wings and steel. Her brows furrow slightly and she does begin to notice something familiar before the girl breaks the staring contest to pinch the bridge of her nose.

And for a moment, Rexanna listens intently to the next set of words that slip from the girl. Her brows furrow fully, now, as she stares at the girl harder. And then, just like that, Melita and Deimos’ words come flooding back. “Kiada is here, don’t you want to see her?” And oh, how she’d argued the point, deciding that the girl likely didn’t want to see her. Who could blame her? And the more she looks at the girl before her, the more she feels like curling up and disappearing from the world.

A bloody waterfall, an ambush, twins.

The moon to her brothers sun, until the sun went missing. Kiada has always been the eclipse since then, neither moon nor sun, but something else entirely.

Her jaw drops slightly as her inspection is over, and she steps back slightly. “...Kiada?” She almost whispers, shock and confusion, worry and sorrow in her eyes.
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
That fire begins to billow further as Rexanna doesn’t recognize her, and before long it feels like a wildfire destroying everything in sight. But she keeps calm, despite the slight twitch to her hand. She nods, one single dip of her head as if to say “yes we’ve met before, you idiot” before she stares into her mother (not mother?)’s face, a part of her begging to be noticed. It’s almost like her mother is a book to her, as she watches Rexanna’s confusion make way to memories, a glazed look about her sapphire gaze until she returns and whispers her name.

Kiada wants to laugh, a mocking huff of humor before she bows in yet another mocking way. “In the flesh!” She retorts, standing back up fully to look down at Rexanna, arms folding tight against her chest as an attempt to contain the wildfire inside. “Glad you noticed.” She mutters, refraining from rolling her eyes. Yet the more she stares at Rexanna, the more she realizes how young the other woman is, and she knows this Rexanna is like Deimos. Different, and yet…

Yet, she remembered.

A sharp exhale blows out the wildfire within her, and her icy gaze darkens as she looks away from Rexanna toward the Notice Board, toward Auni, toward anything but her.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
All the plans Rexanna has had to speak to this girl about Zariah and the new rule, vanish immediately as the Harpy confirms her suspicions. The pit of her stomach drops, and she hears the disgust, frustration, anger within the girl’s voice. It doesn’t last long, however, the girl begins to shut down in a way and Rexanna refrains from reaching for her. She’s not her mother in this life, but she was in another – another time where she had made so many mistakes. Where she hadn’t been ready for a life like the one she lived in, where Princes with grudges returned to destroy and conquer what they thought was theirs, where falling in love with a King caused her to betray her family.

A frown finds her face, and she stumbles to find the words to say. “I’m so sorry.” The first words that left her lips were true, she’s so incredibly sorry about everything she’d done, most of all not even recognizing her. “I’m not… I’m not the same woman, but I have memories of it like Deimos.” She stutters, certain that her closeness with Deimos had gotten her to understand what it was like to be different yet the same. “I know I was horrible mother to you and your brother, and I’m so sorry.” Her arms slacken at her sides, and she looks away from the Harpy, not knowing how to apologize for a different version of herself. She can't say it'll be different, because it already is. The person standing before the girl is not the same that made the same mistakes. What can you even do in that instance?

She begins to try and recall all she remembered about the other life, about her twins and their life before it got flipped upside down.
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
As Rexanna’s suspicions are confirmed, Kiada takes some solace in the way the woman reacts. But it’s not enough to fill that hole in her. It’s not enough to glue the pieces back together, to fit the part of her that’s missing her brother and father, lovers and friends. She’s not enough. Her apology isn’t even enough, despite the explanation. She knows she’s not the same woman, but it doesn’t help. Nothing about it helps. Kiada frowns to Rexanna and gives a sharp curt nod, arms still folded tight against her chest.

But then, Rexanna says something that Kiada can agree with. She was a shit mother, she hadn’t even left to try and find Kianzo when he went missing. Instead, she was too busy creating another heir for her father. “Yes, you were a terrible mother. Is this version of you just as bad?” She replies, a small amount of venom coating her voice. “There were so many things you could’ve done, we could’ve stayed in the Basin, could’ve went out to find Zo as a family. But he’s been gone since then, and I was what? Ten?” She argues, eyes sharp and disapproving as she looks toward Rexanna. “Khairi and I went out night after night, and you and father didn’t even know I was gone. It’s no wonder he never came back.

Somewhere, deep down, Kiada wonders why she even came back either. “And Father, once we moved to the Edge you were nothing to him. He said so many beautiful words to get us to go there, to be with him, only to forget about us until you had to bear more children. Was it worth it? Weren't Zo and I enough?
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
She isn’t the same woman that mistreated Kiada, and yet Rexanna’s heart sinks with all the implications, with the stories the Harpy speaks. She knows them to be true, to see her naivety, to believe that love would override everything. And yet she hadn’t even loved her own children enough, instead trying to fix a broken marriage that started on broken matches to begin with. Her hands tremble slightly as Kiada spits the venom toward her, and her eyes remain on the girl unafraid, unabashed. “I promised Deimos on my first day here that I wouldn’t turn into that version of me.” She acknowledges, but knows it’s not enough. “I am not her, and if I could I’d prove it to you.” She begins, hands opening palm up toward the girl.

But here? In this world? We’re nearly the same age. I came here directly from Halyven, with memories of the split to Helovia. And things were different there, I was different. I’m not the woman you remember.” She says as a means of defending herself, despite knowing there’s nothing to defend of the golden siren of the Basin and the Edge, too caught up in bearing royals to keep her husband with her to care for the children she did have. “The marriage was rocky to begin with, we hadn’t even planned on remaining together until I found out I was pregnant with you and your brother.” She says, a frown crossing her face.

And then Calstron came back, searching for me, and your father didn’t like it. I wasn’t smart enough over there, too worried about appearances and what other people thought to make things better for us. But I can’t prove any of that to you, not here.” She laughs a quiet huff, almost in disbelief. “I can’t even have children here, I can never prove it to you Kiada. But I’m so terribly sorry.” And it’s true, it’s all Rexanna can say. It doesn’t sound like Kiada needs a mother here, and even if she did, would the Harpy accept her?
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
The Harpy doesn’t want Rexanna to own up and apologize about her mistakes, she just wants to make her see how wrong things had been. To see that men and children, rocky relationships, painful pasts, can still make you a better person. And the more she stares into the pale face of her mother, scanning her sapphire gaze with her own icy ones, she realizes that she is that story. She has learned the only way to make your way in life is to be true to yourself – and for Kiada, that means swallowing the demons within her and becoming a better version of herself.

And yet she hears Rexanna’s promise and it falls on deaf ears, a grimace overcoming the girl’s face. She hears the defenses, and ignores them. She can’t prove it to her, and she finds no willpower within her to have her prove it. It doesn’t matter, not anymore. Rexanna had been a cruel mother, not in the ways most mothers were, but in the way of never being there, not caring or unwilling to help. She listens to Rexanna speak of the rocky relationship between her and her father, and she looks away. “I hope you care less about appearances now, but it seems you still do.” She snaps, gesturing with a scar flecked hand to the dress that Rexanna wears as if it’s all the proof she needs.

Then, Rexanna speaks of Calstron, and Kiada sighs. “He died though, and Father was too busy fucking other women while you were bearing his little royals, unless you forgot?” Grinding her teeth, she fights the urge to shift into the vulture and fly away. The venom piercing and seeping from every pore the more she hears Rexanna. But when she hears her says he can’t bear children, she shakes her head. “Yeah, you thought that in Helovia too and then you slept with the Seer.” She retorts, standing back to put the weight on her heels. “And then you had, what, eight kids after that? Do you still think of a fairytale ending with love or do you just sleep with anything that gives you attention here too?

The apology falls once again on deaf ears.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
The conversation isn’t going anywhere, and all the attempts Rexanna makes to prove to Kiada she isn’t the same go unanswered. Instead, more accusations, more finger pointing toward the finery she wears. And suddenly, Rexanna grows somewhat self-conscious over the entirety of it; it’s for a good cause, she recalls. Help the Crown, live happily with Bastien, life would go on normally. Only… It doesn’t, it never does as Kiada points out and the rest of the memories come flooding back as though she’d built a bridge to hide the worst of it away. Her cheeks flush, and she has no way of responding.

She had been a successful Thief of the Basin, leaving to become the consort to the King of the Edge. And oh, how that version of Rexanna had thought it to be fine, that every time Tembovu returned home with word of another half sibling to Kiada and Kianzo, that they’d promise to never do it again. And the cycle continued, time and time again. And when the Harpy mentions Rein, the girls older half-brother, she visibly winces. She had forgotten that, forgotten the chill in the mountains and the training spar she had participated in before falling pregnant and giving birth some months later.

At least here, she was with Bastien with no way to grow pregnant. But she didn’t feel like Kiada deserved that kind of explanation. “It cannot work here.” She replies, voice darkened as she shakes her head, her dark hair (so similar to Kiada’s) dancing over her shoulders. She inhales deeply and steps back from the girl slightly, but not enough to be done with the conversation. “You of all people should know why I was like that. I won't be shamed for surviving the way I had to.” She says sharply, that motherly tone chiding in her voice. Kiada, of all people, had heard the stories of how she escaped Halyven.

Rexanna won’t be ashamed of that.
but are you truly free?
Kiada Njovu-Reyes

Change author:
KIADA
Kiada ignores the insistence that Rexanna’s pregnancies won’t work here. She doesn’t believe it for a second, regardless of the circumstances. Even if she was with someone who couldn’t get it up, accidents happened. Rexanna wasn’t the most dedicated woman in Kiada’s history. She doesn’t believe it’s changed. But when Rexanna’s tone grows more motherly, Kiada actually sneers at her. “Surviving?” She laughs, a sharp wolfish laugh. “Even I didn’t have to survive like that. To be so low that in order to disappear and become invisible to escape Halyven and Asciend’s armies that you’d please them until they forgot you were there?” She doesn’t realize her voice has raised, but Auni does and uncomfortably tries to calm his bonded.

But it didn’t stop there, no. You act like that was the only time you had to “survive” like that, but it wasn’t. You enjoyed it. It’s no wonder that Prince of yours wants your head.” Her head shakes in disbelief, before a sneer crosses her face again. “Did you sleep with the servants too? Or was it strictly for the military men? Like mother like daughter, right? I mean, your mother the Queen had you with the head of the army, right? And then you fell in love, or some bullshit story like that, with Father, yet another military man?” Her teeth grate against one another as she tries her best to keep her mouth shut. But she can’t – Rexanna has opened a flood gate of all the wrong doings in her life.

Maybe you were perfect for each other, actually. Neither of you could communicate anything, so you thought having too many fucking kids would solve the problems. But it didn’t, because all of them are gone except for me.” There’s unsaid words beneath it, out of everyone that was there once upon a time, it’s only her. And a mother who isn’t even the same person, who can’t atone for the sins of a different version of her because she never lived it. She only remembers, and Kiada isn’t sure what hurts more.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
the chains are broken
Rexanna visibly winces as Kiada recites a history she’s tried so very hard to keep a secret. She might have been a different woman in Helovia, but the events that led up to the differences are the same. She’d slept with so many to get away from their grasp, and she had been successful. But upon her entry here versus her entry to Helovia, the shift had occurred. She hadn’t slept with hardly anyone, but she recalls the gathering at Bastien’s church and reaches up to pinch the bridge of her nose and exhale as it all floods back. When Kiada continues to shoot the poisoned words to her, Rexanna suddenly feels a burst of fire in her belly, and her hands slacken at her sides as she stares at the woman who in another world would’ve been her child, her baby, her first girl.

No.” She says simply, though there’s that fire in her voice, underlining it. “I didn’t sleep with the servants, and you know why Cal wants my head. He’s still alive in this version, so maybe you’ll be lucky and can see it happen if he finds his way here.” She snaps, so unlike herself in that moment that she has to remember who she is what she’s there for. She didn’t expect meeting Kiada to go like this, and she’s helpless in preventing the onslaught of sharp bladed words. She’d taught her daughter well in the ways of arguments, even if she failed in everything else.

And she’s not that same person, because she thinks of Bastien and his unwillingness to sign for the army – his artist nature and flourish for the dramatics. It’s unlike anything she’d known, and she finds the more Kiada recites of her other worldly version of herself, she finds that perhaps she’s far more in love with Bastien than she ever thought she was with Tembovu. Of course, it’s an imagination, a memory of something she never lived, but she can see the pain stretched along Kiada’s face, and she wants to take it all back and be better, even if there’s no way to.

Rexanna has let a lot of people down.

She inhales sharply, and shakes her head again. “It was a mistake, your father and I. But I got you out of it, and you’re here.” She says, gesturing to the Harpy. “You’re a survivor, like me. We’ve made it despite everything, can’t you see that?
but are you truly free?