Mini Event Greet Your Queen
Melita Najya
the Honeybee

Age: 26 | Height: 5'6" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 10 - Strg: 57 - Dext: 58 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 57 - Int: 1
FANGORN - Mythical - Vampire Gourd SILA - Mythical - Dragon (Fire Breath)
Played by: Heather Offline
Change author:
MP: 9824
MELITA
Instead of bounding and leaping into the fray, per her normal routine, she crept in quietly, eyes catching the waves of people milling and floating about. The most important factor was the information provided here – if she ever brought herself to machinating, devising, and scheming, rather than rushing headlong into reckless abandon. Fangorn meandered behind her as they wandered around, striving to find a spot not isolated, amidst groups, so she could catch whispers, growls, hisses, or pleas.

Then her gaze latched onto the Queen, the one who’d tossed her glowstone up and down by the oasis, and she fought between a snarl and impassiveness; not certain where to place her heart or her soul, but the apprehension was there, a gut instinct, grown from the layers of brutality life had tossed upon her.

Her feet took her near Ronin and the larger group of familiar beings, but she subtly waved to Rexanna (way up at the front - why), before lingering amidst the fold, waiting for whatever proclamation, question, concern, or drama destined to unfold.
This is a gift, it comes with a price
Who is the lamb and who is the knife?
Midas is king and he holds me so tight
And turns me to gold in the sunlight
Eli Monnrow
Mercenary

Age: 41 | Height: 5'11" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 15 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 1 - Int:
Played by: Sassmeister Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Eli
Managing to actually push through the crowds, even causing one man to almost topple over much to the chagrin of the other guests that had decided to arrive. He grunted, finally reaching one of the walls that wasn't as... crowded, he exhaled, feeling a bit less constricted. Peering about he eyed who was in the room and if he recognised anyone, a few faces he noticed, some he'd met, some he hadn't, but they had all turned out to meet their rightful ruler. He felt proud of the fact he was here supporting the rightful Queen, his Queen, the idea that anyone could claim she had no right to rule was distasteful, aggravating, almost insulting to him.

He saw the displeasure on a lot of people's faces, the sneering suspicion and anger of a population not at all pleased with the way of things, yet they were wrong, all of them wrong and they would see that, one way or another they would see, it was only a matter of time.
"Si vis pacem, para bellum." - If you want peace, prepare for war.

Coding base by Sky/Odd!
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
I've been very hopeful so far
Now for the first time I think we're going wrong
Hurry up and tell me this is all a dream
Or could we start again, please?

Phoebe was surprised by the number of people who had turned out for this even, certainly the largest of such events to have taken place in a while. Quietly she made her way through the crowd, trying not to run into anyone. But with that many people shoving about, trying to get a good view, it was impossible. Almost immediately she was pushed to the side by someone trying to make way for someone else, and she herself was knocked back shoulder first into...of course. Her face paled briefly as she looked up and saw she had fallen against Emmett of all people. "Sorry." she muttered, quickly straightening and making a bee-line for the the front, if only to put distance between herself and him.

She looked for anyone she recognized, seeing Rexanna at the very front. Bastien was a little ways behind her, and despite their dislike, she felt compelled to stand beside him. She knew enough of how court things worked that she wouldn't be so close as to be particularly aligned with the queen, but close enough to Rexanna to be a comfort. As she stepped up next to the Ascended man, she felt compelled to say something, even if she didn't really wish to. Glancing between him and Rexanna briefly she sighed and whispered, "Thank you for making my friend so happy." She fell silent then, waiting for the event to start.
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Change author:
Roana
I am more than just a piece in their game
Roana had been keeping a low profile during the majority of this queen fiasco. She had to keep what ties she had to Zariah secure, untainted, just in case they needed to be pulled. However, she needed to also know what the heck was going on, and so with a hooded cloak on to hide her identity, the former captain arrived, moving silently through the crowd with grace and ease. Maneuvering the crowd was really just a matter of battle tactics on a very small scale, and she was more than equipped to handle it with little trouble.

Her steps brought her behind Remi and Ronin, her hood still raised to hide her face. "Keep your cool, Captain." Roana whispered to Ronin, eyes trained on the so-called queen at the head of the room. There were a lot of innocent people in the Temple, people who didn't understand what Zariah was capable of, people who would test her anger. It was an explosive situation, but hopefully they could work together to keep things from getting out of hand.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Change author:
ZARIAH
I don't give a damn 'bout my bad reputation
At first it was slow. One or two people trickling in. Faces she recognized, faces she didn't. In the end it didn't terribly matter. In the end they would all know her, and that was what was important for today. But then a great number of people arrived all at once it seemed. Women. Children. How terribly interesting that no men arrived. Zariah glanced over at Edrei, with the briefest of glances. Something was up here. She wasn't sure what yet, but she doubted it was good. Best be on high alert it seemed. When the stream of people entering finally came to a halt, and it seemed no others were attend, she finally broke her perfect blank expression with a warm, wide smile.

"Thank you all for coming, and showing such interest in the growth of the Grounds. That you have taken the time at all is proof of our allied interests in seeking what is best for this place, and for us all in turn." she started in greeting, her voice, velvety smooth, carrying across the Temple hall with ease, the structure of the place lending decent acoustics for such an event. "For those of you more unfamiliar with me, my name is Zariah Launceleyn, I am Head of the Family Launceleyn of Northaven, a contingent the oldest and most powerful magical family of the kingdom of Northwind. It was brought to my attention not long ago by a few of those here that a leader for this place was needed, one who understood how powerful, thriving societies were structured, and one with the tenure of leadership to pull it off. After coming to know them, they asked that I fill this position, knowing the challenges ahead, and I accepted." she let that hang in the air a moment, knowing it was in contrast with a pervasive narrative surrounding her ascent.

"It was then brought to my attention that a larger gathering, rather than individual audiences at my home would make you all feel more at ease with this transition, and I have obliged. Please do ask me whatever questions or concerns you wish to bring to bear.

As she said so, a few guards stepped up to help facilitate, indicating where people could make lines to come forward and ask their questions, rather than having a giant shouting match.

Please feel free to ask your questions! Rather than answer every single question as it comes up, I will wait for a few questions/reactions/etc. to be posted (unless it is something major) to have Zariah answer.

If you still wish to join, absolutely feel free to!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Late, far too late to even be called fashionable, sliding in as the murmur of the crowd took ahold of the room and the initial greeting faded into nothingness. A familiar face had him drawn away from the line forming. With all the grace one could expect from a man barely cognizant of his frame Are made his way through the gathering, bumping and shoving as he went. All the whys and whats swirling around the hollow feeling in his gut, questions he tried keeping a lid on 'til a more fitting time came, 'til he got some kind of direction and wind in his sails. For a few days on stagnant waters had the norseman grasping after any and all straw, suffocating under the choice he'd made and the man he so desperately tried to be.

"What in the name of the gods is this all? What's going to happen?" he whispered as he came up next to Roana. An extraordinary situation demanding extraordinary compromises, clarity over eloquence, brevity instead of pleasantries.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:

Emmett immediately stood when it was time for questions, getting to the front of the queue quickly (he had kept a list in his mind, had been rehearsing it since he entered, only broken slightly by his distraction when Phoebe had appeared). He would not break her rules in here (with the amount of guards around, it would be even more suicide than his outburst outside the manor) but his disrespect was clear from the tilt of his chin and the frown on his face.

"I got a few questions, uh, your highness." He began, sarcasm dripping off the last two words. "First of all, how come a 'few' people asked ya to be leader, so you get to be leader for alla us? I'm sure my lil brother and sister would love for me to be King, but that doesn' mean I get to be." Emmett looked about to see the crowds reaction, then continued.

"Secondly, 'bout the laws." Now he got out a raggedy scrap of paper, written on with looping, scratchy letters. "I ain' even gonna start with the army, 'cos I'm sure a lotta people will talk about that. But let's start with uh..." He began to quote: "As with the term 'Abandoned', distinction between 'Outlander' and 'Natural' is strictly forbidden." Now. Look, I agree fightin' n discrimination between 'em is bad, but we gotta be able to talk about it. There's differences based on if you came here just last year or if ya lived here forever, and it's dumb to ignore them."

"Then, uh...oh, okay. The one thing I liked was the thing about murder n theft n stuff being illegal. Thing is, we already knew tha'. Did you really think you had to tell us?" He shook his head then spoke his last real question: "This thing, about the gatherin's. Now the only reason I can think of for ya not wantin' people to get together is that you don' want a resistance t'build up against you. Cos it jus' don' make sense otherwise. Isn't the market in the settlement a 'gatherin''? Sure, we can ask you permission, but why have we gotta? If I wanna get some neighbours over t'help me bring in the harvest, why should I have t'ask you first? You ain' my ma."

With that, he put the paper away. He'd said his piece. There was much more he could say, but that was what he had practiced, and it was good to start somewhere specific, he thought. "Tha's what I had to say. Arrest me or whatever if y'want. But I don' respect you, and you ain' my Queen."
Emmett
It burns too bright
I think about my self a lot 'cause it's the only one I've got
I've earned this life
What have I done to earn this life?

Age: 31 | Height: 5'3" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 6 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 18 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: kore Offline
Change author:
The witch watched with quiet intensity, shuffling aside as a woman jostled into Emmett, not wishing to accidentally become part of the crush. As the crowd murmured and settled into the temple, she found her attention drifting to the front of the hall, following the stranger she'd stood near just moments before as he left his post and moved to the front, her brows arching with interest.

As he spoke, her head cocked to the side, listening to the concerns he aired, tallying them against her own. It was reassuring to her to hear what sounded, all in all, reasonable, stumbling blocks that she herself had had a difficult time accepting when the announcement of the Launceleyn queen's crowning. She herself had wondered where the support for Zariah had stemmed from. She'd almost have preferred the barrier to what seemed like her a fast-track to corruption and political violence.

Still, the derision in his words, the hostility - while well deserved - gave rise to a subtle panic, her attention shifting about the room, counting the Launceleyn guards she could make out from her vantage point before fixing on Zariah, dark gaze narrowing as it fixated upon that pretty, doll-like face. The Merciless.
Sascha Bach
Carpenter

Age: 28 | Height: 175 cm (5'7) | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 5 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 15 - Luck: 17 - Int:
Played by: Valentine Offline
Change author:
MP: 305

Sascha had joined this little gathering to see which questions would be asked and what the replies would be on thoose questions. He wanted to know if that bad feeling she had given him when they first met was just him overexaggerating or if it actually had some merits this time. He wasn't the person to not at least hear her out, he hated forming opinions from what other people said and wanted to form his own standing so to speak. Though.. it had been a bad start for Zariah this far. Why? Well he had already being forced into the army which was the very last place existed he would ever want to join considering he had deserted the army back on earth. He hadn't said anything yet though and didn't have any intention to do just that yet either. He just stood nearby to his friend Jigano (even though he didnt know it) with a smile that for the first time wasn't visable on his face and more replaced my a neutral look. Sascha had always been known to almost always smile but he felt way to unsure and troubled for it even being possible right now. I mean; hey! he had been forced back into an army after all.

He listened to what the guy named Emmett said but made no change in his face at all, just stood with that lump in his tummy and a feeling that it might had been a bad choice to go here. To meet the woman again that forced him into the army against his will was not very pleasant after all.. So to see the normally happy healer so blanked faced wasn't very odd after all. And as Sascha was a bit of a crybaby under stress didn't help either so he stood there trying to just stare at what was going on instead of hurling into a ball and cry. He hated this sort of stress in his life, why couldn't all people just live and be happy? Something told him that this poor Emmett guy probably would get a not so pleasent reply as well considering his way to put it all out in the world. What was going to happen?
SASCHA
"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Her hazel eyes slid over to the first person to rise to question her. Internally she sighed. Of course it was the brat who shouted obscenities at her from her lawn. He had spirit, she would give him that. Otherwise he was terribly irritating. In silence, she heard him out, waiting for him to finish and pausing a few beats after for consideration before stepping forward slightly to reply.

"I appreciate your organized presentation, Emmett. Thank you for raising your concerns. I shall address them in the order in which you presented them." she started with, a smile curving her lips.

"It is true, a small group of people asked that I take the position of leader for this place - and do note the verb I used: 'take'." she said with a small smile. "There was no process by which to claim leadership any other way, for there was no leadership. As such, you could have been King, had you the drive, power, and want to take it. But you did not, for certainly we all know in our own ways the heavy burden leadership bares. It is not something to be taken so lightly, nor do I take it so. I took it because I believe I have the drive, the skill set, the experience to help this place prosper." she said, voice still even and smooth.

"It is true, there are differences between those who were born here, and those who were not. The intent of this law is not to ignore our differences, but to form unity around that which makes us the same. We have all, in some part, experienced life behind the barrier. We have all, in light of the barrier falling, experienced what it is like to be suddenly thrust into a new world. The people who live here are strong, and resourceful, and determined to survive through all that comes their way. We are not Naturals and Outlanders anymore, we are the people of the Hollowed Grounds, a people strengthened by its diverse experiences, not defined by them. We are, and need to be, in the face of this broader Caido, one people, regardless of where we were born, for the people of greater Caido will not care about that."

What he mentioned about the laws regarding basic crimes did make her want to give up hope. Clearly there was a lack of understanding of even basic forms of law. "I would also hope that the laws surrounding murder and other crimes would be common sense, but such things are still necessary in written, formalized government. It blocks the ability for criminals to say they did not know it was law, or that because it isn't written, it is technically not illegal. As new things are encountered, new laws may be passed to address them, so it is clear and written and known the stance of the law on them."

"As for gatherings, it is exactly as you surmised - to prevent riots. Not necessarily against me, but in general. It was not I that begot the mob at the Spire, but the actions of another citizen who gave call to attack it. Should such enmity rise again, it will by my job as Queen to see such disputes settled, rather than rising to such a level where innocent bystanders may be injured. By granting permission for these gathers, we might be able to prevent such riots by catching them early, or at least be aware of the friendly nature of such gatherings. If there are certain events that happen regularly - such as during harvest season or festivals - I would be happy to arrange a permanent permission for such things so as not to be cumbersome."
she said, smirking a bit. "And yes, clearly I am not your mother." Or I would be dead she thought snidely.

She raised a brow when he claimed she was not his Queen. The air was tense in that moment of silence. "Why ever would I arrest you? I have made this forum so you could speak freely to me. I've invited you all here, supplied you with refreshments...your candor is appreciated and welcome." she said, tilting her head to the side. "And perhaps, in time, you will indeed come to realize I am the Queen you have been seeking, as others have."

Zariah lifted her gaze then to the crowd, cool, unflappable, and clearly unconcerned that one boy happened to lip off. Her confidence was not so easily shaken as that, a queen as formidable as the people of the Hallowed Grounds had grown to be over three centuries. "Any other questions?"
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
Their little group near the back grew, bolstered by ones and twos as more people trickled in, until a veritable flood of people arrived and the room quickly became standing-room-only. Jigano glanced around, lips quirking wryly as he saw those who would normally have avoided each other gathering close, united by a common enemy, their faces set and stern as they kept their eyes on the young woman at the front of the room who had caused such drama within the Settlement in recent days. His eyes lit on Sascha who had found his way over, and he offered the young man an encouraging nod.

He was weighing whether or not to speak up, worried about his friends but worried that fear would keep too many people silent when a young man he vaguely recognized from the day of the Spire Demon's defeat stepped forward. He wasn't eloquent, perhaps, but he was impassioned, and his sincerity lent weight to the words he spoke, all the more powerful for being raw and simple. The bard nodded agreement - and saw that many of those gathered did so as well, a murmuring swell of support for Emmett 's points rising like a wave from the gathering.

Zariah's response was calm almost to the point of boredom, her attempts to refute Emmett's concerns coming across to the trained orator as lackluster and littered with little lies. The bard sighed, waiting until she was done before raising his voice without bothering to get in line; his well-trained vocals had cut across riots and battlefields in the past, and projecting to make himself heard over the quickly quieted murmurs of the crowded Temple was a simple matter.

"There was leadership," he drawled, "but we didn't care for it then, either, and they had the good grace to step down and let things settle rather than raise hackles across locals and foreigners alike." He arched a brow, nodding around to the guards at the edges of the room. "Though from what I've been hearing from those who have tried to express any disagreement with you, your ardent followers who 'asked' you to step up were mostly a bunch of bullies looking for an excuse to engage their worst impulses under the protection of a unified pack, and they picked the biggest bully they could find to be their frontwoman." He paused, giving Zariah a kindly smile that didn't quite reach his eyes. "That, by the way, is what we call someone who tries to force others into doing what they want through threats, intimidation, and fear." He explained the concept courteously, as if Zariah surely must have just been unfamiliar with it until now. "Not a leader, but a bully. And a liar too, I'm afraid."

He shook his head sadly, looking over the gathering with a wry smile, picking out a few of the more recent arrivals. "More and more humans are arriving who have never known the barrier," he pointed out. "And never will, due to the sacrifice of 108, the Ascended who gave their life to bring the barrier down. In a generation that won't matter as much, perhaps, but it certainly does now. And I'm guessing this young lady," he nodded towards Zariah, "has never actually spoken with those people from outside the barrier - be they Fae or far travelers from beyond the Greatwood - or else she would know that they very much do differentiate between those born here and those who arrived from other worlds. Moreover," he added sternly, attention focusing back on Zariah, "we have every right to take pride in who we are - whether we identify as Naturals, or Numerians, or Northhaveners, or Helovians. And bridges were being built and those scars were healing - until once again an outsider has tried to force her ways on those who have lived here all their lives, without giving the greater population a say in the matter."

He tilted his head at the woman across the room, distance making her seem small. It was all in the perspective, in the end, wasn't it? "As many here remember, those who gathered at the Spire did so to protect it, not to attack it. And then, as now, you ignored the desires of a large part of our people. You say that you take what you want, Zariah, that for you, might makes right. So I ask you this: right now, today, if more people would rather someone else were on this throne that seems to be the only thing you know how to respect, would you step down gracefully? Or would you see a civil war come to these lands first?"
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah watched the man for a moment, a quick gesture to Edrei, had the Left Hand stepping forward to whisper his name in her ear. However, as he waxed poetic about his ill-informed drivel, her expression slowly dropped. If a name existed for the expression one gives another when they think they are incredibly stupid, that would indeed be the word to have described Zariah’s expression. But finally, at great length, and with very few questions, he finished his little rant.

”It seems, Jigano, you are unaware of what an audience with a monarch is, so I shall inform you, since it is clear by your monologue you’ve uninformed, ill-suited sources for the vast majority of your knowledge, if it can be called that. An audience is a formal meeting, for airing questions for discussion with said monarch, not an open forum for you to air your half-formed opinions about everything to the assemblage.” she said dryly, clearly unimpressed.

”Frankly, given your utter lack of respect for the time of the people, who did not come here to listen to you rant, I’ve half a mind to ignore you entirely, but I will indulge a few points for clarity’s sake. There has never been a recognized, single leader or leadership council for the Hollowed Grounds. There was an attempt made, but clearly it never made it to full formation, thereby it was not leadership. I am not forcing “my ways” onto anyone, I am forcing order where there is none so when we encounter more peoples of Caido we will not be swallowed by another group – I am sure no one likes the idea of rampant genocide simply because we could not unite ourselves. To that point, I have an arranged meeting with the Chieftess of the Fae, Delah, who has already recognized my authority over this and asked for said meeting, because it is expected that there be a singular leader. And finally, no, I would not simply step aside, because if your little attempt at threatening treason is the general conception of productive discussion to ensure the betterment of the people of the Hollowed Grounds, then we will all surely be killed by another force. I am not here to play games, I am not here as a ‘young lady’, I am here to lead us all to prosperity and strength so the traditions that have been formed here and the diverse identity of our people can be preserved for centuries to come.”

Zariah looked away from him then, taking a slow breath to steady herself. ”Now, does anyone have any questions regarding the first and only government of the Hollowed Grounds?” she said.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3061
everything has its wonders
Keep your cool, Captain.

Oh, but wouldn't it be so easy to not?

Ronin's fists were clenched at his sides, his shoulders squared, his chin up. Beside and around him stood his friends and his loved ones, and he felt his heart leap into his chest as Emmett spoke up first, followed by Jigano. He winced internally, glad only that they had not been subject to an act of violence by their would-be monarch.

Keep your cool.

Zariah was not his queen. She was queen of nothing, in his humble opinion, but it had already been made quite clear that she would not entertain anything outside of her purpose for this little audience. And so, as it had been in Northaven, so would it be in the Hollowed Grounds. And Ronin would have to play the game to have a chance at winning.

So he would keep his cool - and if she threatened his daughter again he would kill her with his bare fucking hands - and ask his questions.

That didn't mean he had to be nice about it though.

"I know you already, Zariah," he called, stepping forward. "I was a Captain of the Storm Guard in Northaven. Your captain, if you remember well enough. I have to ask why, in the creation of your own army, that you excluded your own sex? Did you not think yourself much of a soldier in the guard?" He frowned.

"Furthermore, what happens now? You have had us enlist. What of those too old or too infirm? What of those who do not wish to fight? What happens to them? And for those who did enlist, have you ranks for us? Divisions, troops? A training plan for those who have no experience?" Ronin couldn't fight Zariah in her court - he was not well versed enough in it for that. But in military matters? He was ready.
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
The Queen turned her head to Ronin as he stepped forward to address her. Finally, a real set of questions, even if he was being a bit snide about them. She waited for him to say his piece, then nodded. ”Thank you for your thoughtful questions, Ronin.” she said. A slight dig at the man who spoke before him? Perhaps.

”Quite the contrary, I think women make wonderful soldiers. However, I am being realistic with the scenario. This is not Northwind where our numbers were in the millions. We are but a couple thousand at most. Should our military be mostly annihilated, it is better that it be men logistically speaking. If a man sleeps with 100 women, potentially there are 100 new children to replenish the population. If a woman sleeps with 100 men, there is only the possibility of one child to replenish the population. Clearly, this is a hyperbole for example’s sake, but I do believe it makes the point clear. That said, if any women wish to enlist they may, it is merely a requirement for men, not a banning of women.”

“To your second point, what is next is organization. First I must see what we are working with. Those that are too old or infirm, will be released from their commitment. Not wishing to fight is not a negotiable at this time; however, I plan to divide our forces in two. Those who wish to be part of the standing military full time may do so, and the rest will be part of a minute-ready infantry, prepared to fight at a moment’s notice should such a time arise; it is my hope this regiment will consist of mainly farmers or other laborers whose non-military work serves to keep the community running. There will be mandatory training for both regiments, though clearly the former will be more rigorous. Ranks and specific divisions will be decided upon based on the people we have available.”
she said, at least glad he was asking some real questions.