Training threading the needle
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
WESSEX
out of the night that covers me
Night. The Woodlands. Perfect training time.

The last time she’d shot a bow at night, in the Woodlands, it didn’t go so well. Which makes Wessex think that she could use a little pick-me-up session. Bows are an incredibly useful weapon if you don’t want to get too close. Great for assassinating. Great for hunting, though she doesn’t need toe at. Just great in general, unless there’s a strong breeze blowing… or lots of trees in the way. Which is precisely why she’s chosen to train in this environment.

Counting her arrows and checking their fletching, Wessex has already set up a number of targets in a variety of places, of varying degrees of difficulty. When she is satisfied that the arrows are to her liking, she moves on to the bow, pulling a bit of wax out to condition the string and bends it to and fro, making sure the wood is still supple and pliable.

A warrior is only as good as their weapons, whatever those may be: their body, their magic, their piety. You can't win if  you don't put in the hard work.
black as the pit from pole to pole
i thank whatever gods may be
for my unconquerable soul
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
REXANNA
for a time it seemed to me that we were
starlight-touched
Bastien’s question lingers on the back of her mind, the idea that he wishes for her to Ascend. She had told him she thought it to be possible, but she doesn’t know if she wants to go through with it all. There’s so much to consider, the hatred of the gods (though would it be so much different from now?), the Voice and her protection, never again able to feel the sun on her skin, to lose her magic completely? She sighs quietly to herself, wearing a well fitting jacket as she ventures out into the night, hoping perhaps to find someone that might be able to answer her questions. Though deep down she’s sure she’ll likely run into Lucas again, and the idea makes her roll her eyes as she steps toward the Outskirts, uncertain of where she’s heading but knowing the last time she’d come across Wessex it had been out in the woods, both trying to feed the small Luxere that seemed to hate them both equally.

Her feet are soft and quiet along the grasses as she moves, only stopping when she hears a slight “plink” of what sounds like a bowstring. It has been years since Rexanna fired a bow, and she’s immediately interested in who would be out this late at night firing arrows into the night. She moves a bit quicker, coming closer to the person who’s wielding the bow. Her eyes adjust to the darkness though likely not the way Wessex’s does. She does recognize the other Ascended woman, mainly from the hardened edges and the way she carries herself.

And suddenly she’s not sure if she should join in, or how to phrase it. She supposes she can ask and the Ascended woman will tell her to leave should she not wish for company, so she inhales deeply and offers a quiet smile. “Hey, mind if I join you?” She asks quietly, a tilt to her head as she regards Wessex.
failing to realize we were actually
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
If Rexanna thinks she’s going to get answers that will make her life any easier, she’s barking up the wrong blonde tree. Wessex will answer them - in her normal candid, brutally honest manner - because no one has ever asked what it’s like to be an Ascendant. A few know her story, her brushes with death and so on and so forth, but her kind (the few of them that there are) don’t talk about the day to day trials and tribulations of being a not-human. Not with each other, and not with others.

Just the fact that Rexanna doesn’t know where - or how - to find her should be telling enough.

It is courteous of her to ask to join. She appreciates that. The warrior teeters on the edge of deciding one way or another, eventually deciding that training trumps wanting to be left alone, and besides, she’s set up her targets so very nicely. It might be entertaining to see if someone else can hit them (can she? It’s been a while). Her simple bow is set aside for a moment as she looks up at the beautiful Outlander woman, giving no sign of recognition, though she does indeed remember her. “If you can keep up, and see well enough to not kill me, I don’t mind. Otherwise I’ll leave the targets up and you can come back during the day to do it.”

Women should help other women be better, stronger, faster, whatever. Except for Zariah. No one should help her.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
The minute the question comes from Rexanna’s lips, she’s hesitant. She can feel the hesitation from the other party as she waits (though she mentally prepares herself to leave) before Wessex agrees. At least, agrees in a way that seems entirely like her. She says she can join if she keeps up without killing the Ascended woman, and she smirks slightly toward the blond woman with a nod. “Deal.” She says briefly. “I can’t see as well as you can, for obvious reasons, but I can see you well enough to not shoot at you.” She acknowledges with a quiet huff of humor.

She does appreciate the idea that while Wessex isn’t directly helping her, it will help her for the future. She didn’t know when she’d need to learn it, but it couldn’t hurt if she ever found herself in need of protecting herself without her magic. Especially if she takes Bastien up on his offer – if the Voice makes it possible to Ascend her – she’ll need any extra bit of help she can get. And so she looks to Wessex as she pulls her hair back, a soft smile playing on the corners of her lips.

Show me how it’s done and I’ll see if I can keep up.” She offers, remaining back and eyeing the targets and what Wessex decides to do in that moment.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
She sighs inwardly. Not because she doesn't want to help, but because the problem of not being able to see as we could be easily fixed.Do you have magic? Can you light something if you need to?" Wessex asks with the tone of a teacher talking to a student who already knows how to do a thing and just needs a little prodding in the right direction. If not, then there should be flint and stone in a bag on the Ascended and some tinder in her fingertips. You never know when you're going to need fire (despite being rather flammable). Always be prepared. Or have a fire mage on hookup notice and suck the powers out of her. (Ha, ha, ha, Wessex the little girl scout is rolling in her grave right now).

Placing the arrows in their quiver, she swings the open container on to her back, leather band across her chest. She then proceeds to point out the targets: The first are three in diagonal succession on close knit trees, representing a man's head, chest, and groin. Next is one opposite those, farther than usual, but easy enough to see - the proverbial person running up behind you. Fifth is high in a tree, a target suspended by two ropes and is perhaps the most difficult to hit. Sixth is much closer, but mostly obscured behind a bush. And the last was in the open, but had to be hit from behind a half-rotting log.

Easy, right?

Wessex then nods and takes up her stance somewhere in the middle of the circle of targets, grabs and arrow, notches it, pulls her elbow straight back, and releases after a brief pause. Moving quickly, she dances a graceful pattern of three releases, a pivot for the next, turning to find the archer in the trees, then swinging to her left for the bush, and then finally running and diving behind the log, the tips of her head visible as she comes up to fire the final shot, bow turned sideways.

Some hit, some miss, but for Wessex the important thing is that she maintains her speed and never stops to see if the previous arrow hits.

Next up; Rexanna
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
Wessex speaks to her almost like a teacher chiding a student, and Rexanna snorts a bit in response. Of course, she does have magic to help her see – but where is the challenge in that? Still, she obliges Wessex for a moment as she points out the targets. She sends a small firework out toward the direction of them, watching as it arcs and sparks, exploding briefly into nothing but a glittering, smoking dust before it disappears again. She nods as she gathers where their locations are, squinting through the dark with curious eyes.

Then, she steps back to watch as Wessex does her own magic, in a way. Rexanna would be lying if she said she wasn’t impressed at all, watching the footwork and speed, she doesn’t even notice if Wessex stops to see if each of the arrows have hit. Her brows raise slightly, and she grabs a bow as well – testing the tautness of the bow before grabbing a quiver of arrows as well. She’s not as fast as Wessex, but she does have some experience, and rather than doing the running and sliding that the Ascended woman does, she pays more attention to planting herself – not permanently,  for if it were a true battle that would be a death sentence – instead, she seems to move in a small circle, quick and fierce as she fires an arrow toward the first target.

She pauses for a brief moment, watching it sail across the air until it hits one of the three diagonal targets. It doesn’t hit in what would be a bullseye, but it does land near the edge of the groin target. She turns, then, toward the further ones as though they were running up behind her. She lets the arrow fly toward those, but she hasn’t aimed quite well enough to get it to sail the distance. And she watches as her arrow falls toward the ground before them. She sighs through her nose before glancing toward Wessex’s last location. “So Ascended have much better eyesight at night, I know that much. What other great things can you do?” She asks, waiting her turn to see what Wessex does next.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Fireworks. How… she doesn’t want to think useless, as there are some inherently dangerous things about a magic that can fly and spark, like burns, and blindness, etc. But compared to Edy’s fire and disintegration, to Deimos’s life sucking power, it just seems…  less than, somehow. That might be solely due to Wessex’s view on the usefulness of certain magics in battle, as an offensive or defensive power, so for someone who isn’t a combatant, it makes perfect sense; she’s never thought of Rexanna as a fighter. Ah, Wessex, your biases are showing.  

Still, she doesn’t say these things out loud, she just watches the firework, nods, and moves through her sequence, leaving Rexanna to do her thing.

Much like with Are, there is little judgement in her voice. They are here to get better, to train, and scathing criticism won’t improve skills unless you’re the sort of person who needs to be dressed down in order to progress. “A wide variety. As I know it none of us are alike. Our Lady bestows her gifts as she sees fit and often according to our needs. But we can all drink from someone and use their power. For example, I have quite the selection of abilities at my disposal right now. Just depends on how I want to use it.” She smiles rather wickedly. The thought of more power has always delighted her. But as for her own secrets... no, those aren't to be revealed quite yet.

None of those power, however, will help her hit a target better, and as she sees it, she’s missed two of them. Going to pluck the arrows from their destinations (except for the one in the tree), she lines herself up again. “This time for accuracy. I’ll go slower. You line up beside me and shoot after, yeah? Maybe that will help.” Settling the arrows in their quiver again, she Ascended woman makes room for the Abandoned, leaving enough space between them so as to draw a bow unhindered. And then she goes through the targets again, each time waiting until Rexanna is ready, though she performs the series in silence again; only the twang of the string, the thud of a strike, and a single person’s breath can be heard amongst the evening noises of a fall forest.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
Internally, she’s thankful for no chiding commentary from the blond Ascended. And she finds that perhaps they both have the same goal – to better themselves. It relieves her, somewhat, and she listens like a diligent child as Wessex speaks of the variety of the Ascended. She speaks of the gifts, of drinking from people and receiving their gifts, and she wonders how that works and if Bastien had ever used her fireworks before. Still, she nods, interested with a brow lifted. “And it just remains until you use it?” She adds, contemplating if Lucas too, had ever used her gift.

She wonders, too, if perhaps she were to Ascend if she wouldn’t lose the ability to do anything at all, not if she drank from someone who could?

The wicked smile from Wessex doesn’t miss her, and she smiles in response. For whatever reason, Wessex doesn’t frighten her. She’s intrigued and interested in the woman, curious why she is the way that she is, but she supposes being in the Hollowed Grounds all your life tends to make you a bit different. She recalls Rory for that same reason. And she remains silent, while Wessex gestures toward accuracy as she, too, grabs her own arrows that had fallen before returning.

Sounds good to me.” She offers in way of agreement, taking up space beside the Ascended, she follows, letting arrows fly as silence and concentration take up the sounds around them. She doesn’t do too terribly, while not being completely accurate, they’re better as she follows Wessex around the targets. When they’ve finished that round, she goes to retrieve all her arrows once more before looking back toward Wessex to see what the woman would have them do next.

I’ve been considering talking to the Lady about Ascending...” She mentions, eyes drifting up toward the Ascended to see what her reaction may be. If she did would Wessex be happy to have another woman on the team? From what Rexanna can tell, there are very few of them, and she’s silently been wondering what it’s like to be an Ascended woman, though she won’t outright say it.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex shrugs. “One at a time, I think, but I’ve never had the opportunity to try to keep two in me.”

Her arrows, too, are better. One still misses, but the others have all hit and are closer to the mark. She is satisfied with her progress today, but it seems like there might be a way to push herself, or rather, the two of them. A thought occurs, and it might be rather dangerous, but there’s no better way to see how one will react under pressure.

“Shall we try fighting with magic, then? Could you try lighting something - or things - on fire with the fireworks? And then I’ll play with it from there?” She sets about looking for a target, walking around the two of them in a circle when Rexanna says she’s been thinking about Ascending. It stops her in her tracks. Wessex looks at the girl with a thoughtful expression, something between disbelief, pity, and curiosity. It makes a lot more sense now, why she would be out here in the middle of the night, willing to put herself through Wessex’s paces. “Is that why you’re here?” She doesn’t wait for a response. “I either train or have serious conversations, but not both at the same time. Finish this first." Then she can have the full serious Wessex experience

Not many people have had it and still like her.

“So. Those targets?” She points to the one out in the open and the one up in the tree. Best to keep it simple and not set the whole forest on fire. The Ascended has faith in Edy’s power, but not her ability to control the flames without practice.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
She listens to the tidbit of information, the uncertainty of trying to keep two within her. Still, Rexanna dips her head in a quiet nod of understanding. But when theyre gathering arrows again, and Wessex suggests fighting with magic, she nods again with a bit wider of a smile. This is something she can do, in light or darkness, and she pauses before a couple of targets that are distanced in varying amounts from where she stands.

But when she mentions her thoughts to Wessex and the Ascended woman asks if that’s why she’s here, Rexanna shakes her head. “Coincidence.” She merely responds, but agreeing to listening to what the woman has to say after. Yet, her eyes follow the direction Wessex points to, and she spots the one in the open and briefly the one in the trees, and she inhales deeply to center herself as she faces them.

She feels for the well of magic within her, pulling at the fireworks to conjure bigger ones than Wessex had initially seen. Her eyes focus in the dark on the closest target, one palm outstretched as she gathers a medium sized firework within her mind, and after a brief moment she shoots the one toward the target in the open. It arcs across the sky and sticks in the target’s head right as it explodes in showers of glittering gold and reds.

She doesn’t pause, however, turning toward the next target that sits up in the trees, changing her aim toward it as she shoots her second medium one toward it. This one, too, arcs, but misses a small amount – exploding above the tree, letting the showers glimmer down around the leaves and the target. “If anything’s set on fire, I can put it out.” She offers helpfully, having also been blessed with fire magic to create and suffocate.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
The sparks rain down on the tree, catching the drying leaves of autumn. It hasn’t rained in awhile, so they catch and rather than be alarmed, Wessex smiles. Stepping up to the base of the lit tree, she raises her hands and feels for the control, feels for the fire and how it burns, lives, and creates unconsciously. Pulling it away from the dry tinder that could spark a forest fire, the Ascended woman pulls it down to her (though she does keep it a seemingly safe distance away), a look of awe and fascination in the light reflected on her face.

A little twirl of her hands sends the ball of fire into spiraling pieces that could be called daggers or just sharp pointy bits of flame. She sends them shooting into the air, where they eventually run out of fuel and evaporate. Slightly wistful as the power leaves her body, she turns to Rexanna and murmurs, “It’s almost addictive, that power.” She goes to collect her arrows and then breaks off a couple of thin branches in order to make up for the ones she’s lost.

With a bit of nonchalant grace, Wessex sits down on the ground and indicates that Rex might do the same. Hell, she can even make a fire if she wants to, the Ascended won’t stop her. She just takes out her knife and begins to strip the branch of its bark with long strokes. “So. You wanted to talk about Ascending?”

-------------------

Wessex uses the power she sucked from Edy in "she's a superfreak, superfreak," conveniently placing this thread before the one where she bites Are, in case anyone's checking.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
She watches as the fireworks move and spark the flame, and she watches while Wessex uses the magic she’d siphoned to put out the flames. Then, she watches as the fire turns into a shape similar to sharp edges as she shoots them into the air too, and Rexanna smiles toward the Ascended with a nod. “It is.” She agrees, giving the woman a slightly bigger grin as she opens her palms and tries to make a similar thing with her flame – but instead, it creates a couple of small sharp pointed daggers that appear a bit more like arrowheads. Her brows furrow together in surprise and she tilts her head as she looks at them before looking to the nearest target and aims one of them. She lets it fly, watching as it spins over itself and hits the target in the lower section, snagging the edge before falling into the grass.

Rexanna clutches the other one with a bit of surprise as Wessex goes to retrieve the arrows, and she follows suit to grab the dagger and her own arrows before returning to where the Ascended sits on the ground. She spins the small arrowheads in her hands as Wessex begins to chisel a branch into more arrow shafts. “I’m mostly curious what it’s like to be a woman as one. Everyone else I know that’s Ascended is male.” She snorts as though it’s a bit ridiculous, finding it surprising that more women weren’t drawn to the power and strength that comes with Ascension.

Her sapphire gaze lifts toward Wessex with a small shrug. “In terms of actually Ascending it seems a bit too personal of a question to ask.” She gives a half laugh, adjusting the arrow heads a bit to fit Wessex's arrows.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
What it’s like to be one as a woman?

Wessex flashes the Abandoned a curious, searching gaze, genuinely a little confused as to what she’s on about. Being coy? Dancing around the real question? “Same as being a male Ascended, I imagine. I’m not quite following. Are you asking about sex, or having babies, or other normal female functions?” She glances back down to her arrow, stripping it down to its essence as her Lady stripped Wessex down to her most essential parts: her mind and soul.

“I have always been more masculine than feminine. Harsher. Blunt. A weapon. But I think it surprises people more now when I show kindness or maternal instincts. As if Ascending should have killed all the womanly things in me. So there is the perception about what you are to battle against, if that kind of thing matters to you.” And there are more who don’t know Wessex than do. Those who never saw her with Magrethe, never grew up with the little wild child, who would alternate at play fighting and making daisy chains. Never saw how she watched over Amalia and a couple of other children - how she was trusted with them.

Now she is only an Ascended.

Without looking at Rexanna, she continues pressing. “You’re thinking of joining us?”
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
starlight-touched
There’s a curious gaze that greets her as the question leaves her lips, and she lifts her head to look at Wessex when she offers a bit more options in detail. “Essentially, yes.” She says with a quiet awkward laugh. But Wessex continues, answering the question that Rexanna was subconsciously really asking, about whether you can be Ascended and still soft, still a weapon but unsuspecting. As she looks at Wessex she exudes strength and power and a weapon. But Rexanna can’t quite see herself the same. She’s soft where Wessex has hard edges, she’s kind and playful where the Ascended woman seems hardened and no nonsense.

Rexanna doesn’t know if it’ll fit her, or if she’ll change with it.

Still, she listens diligently, and nods when Wessex is finished with her tale. It seems as though it didn’t change Wessex all that much from how she was normally – and there’s a part of Rexanna that’s grateful for that and the information. She doesn’t think she particularly has a certain predisposed perception of herself, but she’s sure that others out there do of her. And if she were to Ascend, would their idea of her change? And would she have to prove herself?

Her next question, Wessex presses, and Rexanna’s gaze slips up toward the Ascended with a small half smile. “Considering it.” She says with a small shrug. “It’s been something at the back of my mind for months now, but my boyfriend went to the Voice to see if it were possible given I’m Destined.” She lifts her head slightly, creating a small sparkler firework that dances along her fingers as she moves it around. “She said anything is possible, which is basically what I thought.” She offers with a small half laugh. “So I have been considering it, but it’s hard to ask those I already know. It’s hard to get a straight answer, especially out of Lucas.” She snorts.
starcrossed
the stars were never
on our side