[open] maybe it was me
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
hope is the only thing
In the entire year that Rexanna has lived within the Hollowed Grounds, she’s never visited the Infirmary. Today, however, she plans to change that — instead of going toward Phoebe’s Clinic she shifts her attention toward the Temple. She carries a small bag with her, of a few of the herbs that Phoebe has given her for her recovery from the Spire, aiming to see if they’ll be of use here. She doesn’t plan on needing the herbs any time soon, choosing to likely avoid getting into trouble rather than seek it out. It’s a small shift in her character, to choose to stay rather than seek, and she hopes it does it her well in the future.

She steps up into the Infirmary, sapphire gaze dancing around the entry room and the rooms that likely are used for treating patients, and she quietly wonders which one Rory had spent some time in over Longnight. She doesn’t dwell on it long, eyes drifting from the back rooms toward the front once more — and then she waits.
stronger than fear.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex, too, has never visited the Infirmary - at least not since she Ascended, having no need to ask for mortal means of repair. So that is where she went after leaving the Greatwood, instead of disappearing into the outskirts, where she imagines Zariah might send her goons. She might also have them scouring the Settlement, but for now, Wessex thinks, she’s probably safe during the day. Tucking herself into a cupboard (don’t need a soft place when you can’t feel pain), the blonde woman closes her eyes and thinks over the events of the past couple of days.

What a mess.

At some point she drifts off into rest, her mind a whirligig of plans that consist mainly of the if x happens, turn to page 108 kind of thing. Nothing concrete. It’s crucial that she’s flexible right now.

The sound of Rexanna's footsteps on the floor rouses the Ascended and initially sets her on edge - at least until the rest of her senses kick in. Mostly confident that the person outside her little hidey-hole isn’t going to be a threat to her, Wessex swings the door open.

”Rexanna?” she asks. What is she doing here? Which, naturally, is an absurd thought to come from the Ascended hiding in the cupboard.
No, I’ll be the stone
I’ll be the hunter, a tower that casts the shade
I lie awake and watch it all

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

Wedged into the cupboard in which Wessex currently has herself hidden away, is a silvery-cylindrical device. It is roughly the size of a modern-day pen and about the same proportions too. There is a plunger on one end and what appears to be a needle on the other.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
hope is the only thing
For a time it was silent, and she lifts her bag with a curious eye as she begins to take a couple of the jars out and place them on a counter. She’s certain someone could use them, and how they got there might not be relevant with the items within them. But she has a couple jars, better suited for a cupboard, and she holds onto the tops of them as she approaches the cupboards, aiming to place them and leave if nobody is around. But as she nears, she hears her name quietly coming from the cupboard as the door swings open and the jars clatter in her hands as she jumps in surprise. “Wessex?” She asks quietly, staring in surprise and confusion, concern lacing her features.

What is she doing in the cupboard? And more importantly, how did she fit in there?

She sets the jars on the table as she nears Wessex now. “What are you doing in there?” She whispers back to the Ascended woman as if it’s some secret. She looks over her shoulder to check the door before her sapphire gaze lands back on the blond woman before catching on the strange item wedged into it.
stronger than fear.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX
“Sleeping,” Wessex whispers back with a straight face. Which was technically true, she simply omits everything prior to that, because Rexanna simply doesn’t need to know. Uncurling herself requires a bit of effort, and that’s when she notices the shiny silver thing wedged in along with her. A curious frown darts across her face as she looks at it, pulls it out of the crack, and then sort of just… spills out of the space, half of her body at a time. When the Ascended finally pulls herself together enough to stand and brush her clothing off, all she can offer is a shrug.

“And you? What’s in the jars?” she murmurs, taking a cursory look at the small things before examining the object in hand. One pokey end. One pushey end. It looks like it might be something used to either hurt or deliver something. It probably has something to do with the body if it’s in the Infirmary. Well, there’s a logical order of testing here. “Whatcha think?” she asks Rex, if only to be polite. Also the woman is from another world. She might actually know something about this… oversized knitting needle. First, she tries to push the plunger in with her thumb to see if anything will come out.
No, I’ll be the stone

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

As the plunger is depressed there is the warm smell of electricity that reminds Wessex of the Voice.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Electricity.

Not the cold, hard, white of Zariah’s electricity, but the warm, blue and yellow crackling smell of her Lady. It sends her mind to the shrines, to what happens there, before the orbs. There is Trust. Nourishment. Feeding at their mother’s proverbial bosom. This is an object for her.

Going to the door and making sure it’s locked, Wessex comes back to the table and picks up the object and then sits down on the floor, behind some tables, beneath the sightline of whatever windows there may be. Pressing the needle-end into her skin, she pushes the plunger in once more.
No, I’ll be the stone

Change author:

A new strain of adrenaline floods through Wessex' system. Her senses are immediately heightened; vision, smell, tactile feel.

The burst is short lived but powerful.

Wessex has found:

Manufactured Adrenaline: a syringe containing a daily dose of adrenaline. Can be used once per thread. Raises all stats by 1 for one post and increases an ascendeds other senses for the duration of the thread.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
hope is the only thing
Well that certainly is not what Rexanna is expecting. Sleeping, curled up like a blanket (literally) in a cupboard? Her brows furrow together and she laughs softly. But the Ascended woman has slipped out of the cupboard now, brushing off herself as she asks Rexanna what’s in the jars. “A few things I used to heal myself after Lucas nearly drank me dry during the fall of the barrier. Almost died.” She shrugs as if it’s nothing, though a hand reaches up to her neck where the faintest of scars lies, before she aims to place the jars away. That’s when Wessex notices the needle-like object in the space she has just vacated. When the Ascended woman asks her what she thinks, her eyes are a bit wide and she shrugs – but she’s intrigued. She wants to know what it does, too.

She watches silently as Wessex takes it and goes toward the door to lock it before sitting on the floor, she makes herself stay out of sight of the windows too as she goes toward the Ascended and tilts her head as Wessex injects the fluid within the needle. Her eyes lift toward her face. “What does it do?” She asks quietly, her brows lifted in surprise. Is this just something Ascended find? Is it normal to just grab something interesting and put it in you? It’s so strange, and yet so interesting that Rexanna can’t quite form the words to ask more about it.

Most importantly, why was she hiding in a cupboard, too?
stronger than fear.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Nope. It’s not normal to go and stick things in yourself that you just find laying around an infirmary. In fact, she’d probably say that it was actually quite dangerous.

Conveniently glossing over the part where Lucas almost killed her (yes, she remembers the blonde man biting Rexanna in the aftermath of the Spire, but she can’t remember him almost drinking her dry), Wessex focuses on the thing she’s just found and the subsequent question, given the woman’s wide-eyed stare, which seems like it really ought to be answered. If only to be polite.

“It energizes you. Felt like a power-kick to my systems.” She keeps back the fact that it’s already starting to fade, but it does seem like she can see, smell, and hear slightly better than before. It’s like she’s got… animal senses, or something. Though given that the immediate effects are already dissipating, she imagines that these, too, will eventually wane. The curious (and potentially very useful) little item goes into a leather bag in her cloak, where it won’t accidentally poke her or anyone else.

Leaning against whatever she can find - table leg or wall - Wessex looks like she is settling in for awhile. It’ll be easy for her to stay here. “Sorry if I startled you.”
No, I’ll be the stone
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
hope is the only thing
There’s a part of her that’s surprised by Wessex’s idea of just stabbing herself with a needle full of something, but she’s certain if the Ascended woman had done it, there was a good reason for it. And after what Wessex had told her about being Ascended, she supposed even if it was something bad for her, it couldn’t hurt the woman beside her. Her head remains tilted slightly, and she sits beside the woman on the floor after discarding the rest of her jars and listens to Wessex explain what it felt like.

It’s so strange, yet so… Interesting? Rexanna has no words to be able to figure out how to explain it. And so she remains silent, simply watching as she puts the syringe in her leather bag with a slightly raised brow. Her attention turns back toward Wessex’s face as she settles in, and Rexanna makes herself comfortable too and takes Wessex’s apology with an awkward smile. “I’ve never seen anyone hide in a cupboard like that before.” She remarks, something like a folded up blanket despite being a person of all things.

Why are you hiding?” She asks, certain that Wessex of all people wouldn’t need to hide in a cupboard without an entirely good reason for it.
stronger than fear.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Wessex chuckles. “I’m probably not like anyone else,” she says, not in a humble-brag way, but in a matter-of-fact way. ‘Marches to her own tune,’ her mother used to say, along with ‘stubborn enough to be a mule’ and ‘you’ll either outlive us all or die tomorrow.’ The stupidly brash young woman often thought she’d die tomorrow, and then somehow, perhaps by sheer willpower alone, managed to outlive them all.

When you have nothing left, it’s easy to jab unknown objects into your skin and see what happens. Death is the worst thing, right? And she’s already died. It’s just… empty blackness for her. No memories. No afterlife. Nothing to fear, other than regret.

Before she answers Rexanna’s next question, however, she fixes the woman with a long, serious look. She openly admitted in their previous encounter that she’d become a pawn of Zariah, and while Wessex didn’t ask what that meant, she is quite cautious. She doesn’t doubt the would-be-Ascended’s intentions, but intentions don’t make everything all right. She weighs the risks and after some long, quiet moments (potentially awkward, who’s to say they aren’t?) she says only, “I escaped from trouble with Zariah. Thought this would likely be the last place anyone would look for me.”
No, I’ll be the stone
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
hope is the only thing
As Wessex chuckles and replies, Rexanna nods with a small chime of a laugh of her own. “You’re definitely not.” She admits, but there’s nothing chiding within it. In fact, she is fascinated by Wessex and the way that she is. Everyone else, her included, are so similar – soft and round edges, with steel within them. Wessex exudes steel and strength, no nonsense, power. There’s a part of her that wonders if she was born this way or if she’d changed. But she doesn’t ask, she doesn’t know Wessex well enough – and well, she’d rather keep anyone she can rely on close.

Wessex is one of those for her.

She settles in beside the Ascended woman, gaze lifting toward her as Wessex stares at her hard. She knows she’s admitted to being a pawn for Zariah, but she’s also fought it internally in any way she can. She meets her gaze, and lets her decide before telling her, and when she does she gives Wessex a small smile. “It’s a great place to hide, that’s for sure.” She says, forgoing the “since you don’t really need an infirmary” comment – it’s implied.

Rexanna glances back toward the Infirmary around her. “I keep plenty of secrets from Zariah, so no need to worry.” She offers with a quiet huff of laughter. “Are you planning on staying here?” She asks, head tilting toward Wessex again with a raised brow – finding that if she has to remain folded up in a cupboard for the rest of however long, it might get old.
stronger than fear.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
Maybe one day they’ll get to talk about their origin stories, maybe after Rex has gone through the Ascension process and things have changed. When Wessex can bear to call someone sister again, and not feel various echoes from Magrethe (and to a lesser extent, the hurt from Amalia). There’s a good rapport developing between the two of them and the older woman does genuinely hope that with time, they can grow closer.

Today, there are other things to deal with, there’s no real luxury to relax and chat, not with various threats buzzing around the Grounds.

The woman does manage to draw a smile from her, so there’s that small victory. Secrets, secrets, secrets - they all have a hundred secrets. “I think so, at least until it gets dark again.” The darkness is her friend, her safe space, her savior. In the night, she is the Queen of her domain. Not unbeatable, but certainly almost unparalleled - at least when it comes to agility and speed. “Don’t let me keep you - but please come find me after you Ascend, yeah?”

Bastien shouldn’t be her only introduction to the rather complicated world that the Ascended live in. He’d probably forget a lot of the important bits.
No, I’ll be the stone