little light one
Basty <3
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra
Queen of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Played by: Skylark Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
comes in the name of peace.
She knew Bastien would go to speak with the Voice, he had told her as much. But it doesn’t stop her from worrying about him, about what the Voixe might say or might not say. For a time, she had figured the goddess wouldn’t care about it in the slightest; until, well, she had appeared through Lucas and charged their little gathering as being god’s work. And if she wanted to speak to the Voice eventually, she knew she’d have to tell Bastien about the rendezvous in the woods with Lucas. And so she waited, perhaps a bit anxiously in her home for him to return.

She kept herself busy, wearing mostly lounging clothes — the bite on her wrist mostly healed now leaving only behind the faintest of scars — as she cooked herself and him dinner. She knew he likely wouldn’t touch most of it, but it at least would be a familiar setting, something easier for her to handle while she told him. She wasn’t sure why she was so terrified of telling him, it’s not like her and Lucas had done anything (at least not after the night of the Spire where she was certain she’d die). And so she tried to calm her nerves, slamming down a glass of wine and finishing cooking the meal she had prepared.

There were two plates on the table, two glasses for wine, and she put the food onto the table in the center of it — using her magic to keep the candle flame underneath aflame it to keep it warm. And then, she waited.
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien did not go to Rexanna immediately after he had spoken to the Voice. He needed time to think, to work out where he was now that what he had previously thought impossible was very much achieveable. He had faith in his Goddess, and if she said she could help Rexanna ascend, he believed it. It was fantastic news, but it required a lot of new consideration.

For a while he had sat in an alcove in the temple, his mouth covered with his hand as he stared at the floor and thought, tears brimming occasionally in his eyes. He was not a crier, but when he thought of a life spent in full with Rexanna, an eternity of togetherness, not having to face those fears of her aging body...the sheer relief was all-encompassing.

When he did finally set off to see her, he was surprised to find himself a little nervous. That she would refuse at this last moment, which she had every right to do - all he could do was hope.

He reached the door and knocked once then let himself in, gently closing it behind him. Bastien's eyes fell on the table, the two plates set out, and he smiled. "Dinner! How sweet, Cara. And it is appropriate, for I have good news for us." With a wild grin he moved to sit down. "You will not imagine what I have learnt."
We're aware they're trying to take away our dreams
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Age: 34 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Ascended x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 4 Abandoned (Level 3 Ascended) - Strg: 19 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 9 - Int:
Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
It isn’t long that she waits, and she’s glad that she picked such a time to cook dinner. He hadn’t told her when he’d return, and the most she can do is sit there and wait to see what comes from it; even if her anxiety frays at her nerves and keeps her a bit jittery. She pours herself another glass of wine, setting the bottle beside Bastien’s seat before she settles in again, one elbow on the table to rest her head as a pale finger runs along the rim of the glass. She occasionally peaks at the food and the flame, making sure it still dances to keep it warm.

Her head lifts at the sound of a knock, and she immediately stands as Bastien enters, a wide smile on her face to hide the anxiety that simmers deep in her belly. As he spots dinner she offers him a quiet laugh before approaching him where he settles in on the place she’s laid for him. She pours him a glass as her gaze drifts to him, listening to him explain what kind of news he has. She doesn’t know if he realizes that she has news for him too. As she finishes pouring she leans down to place a kiss on his cheek before she sits in her seat and begins to serve both him and herself. “What did you learn?” She asks, excitement and apprehension mixing within her.

Is it possible?” She asks, quietly hoping it isn’t but considering what the Voice has done to normal people, she wonders silently if the goddess wouldn’t have any qualms with it. But whether she’s prepared is another story — to give up the sun, her magic, life as she knew it. At the same time, she realizes she could become a weapon, never to let another harm her or her loved ones again. She wonders if she should start a small bucket list of normal life things to enjoy before speaking to the Voice as she waits for Bastien’s response.
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien took the wine and sipped it, the action automatic even if it would hardly do anything for him now. There was still a ghost of a taste on his tongue, and it was enough. He was hardly focused on the wine anyway, not when he had such wonderful news for her.

Not noticing right away her hesitation, he spoke: "Yes. It is. She said it has not been done before, but she will find a way. That we could do it." He laughed with sheer joy, closing his eyes and smiling as he leaned back in his chair. "I was so relieved. I thought for sure she would be horrified by the idea, but she seemed very willing to work with us. Isn't that just...amazing?"

Though it would take a fool to not know Rexanna had to have some worries about it, so he continued. "But I know it is a big jump, love. You do not have to say yes..." This hurt him to say, but he meant it. "Or take this lightly, or quickly."
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
The apprehension within her begins to hurt in the pit of her stomach as she waits for his response, watching as he sips from the wine and begins to speak. Her brows lift in a bit of surprise before she grins to him. “I told you.” She says, in an almost teasing voice as she points the fork at him. She had hoped it wasn’t possible, but she also figured if anyone could change anything, it would be the Voice herself. The New Goddess seemed smart and capable, and it is all Rexanna can do to listen as she serves herself some of the dinner – extinguishing the flame under her magic.

She seems very kind, Bastien.” She acknowledges, eyes flitting down toward her plate as she begins to dig in. It was a true statement, based off of all the others that the man she loved had dealt with and had problems with, the only one that seemed to line up with his thoughts and ideals were the Voice herself. But her eyes raise up to him as he pauses before continuing. And she appreciates it, so much more than she thinks he can imagine.

Every other man in her life had forced her into doing something, or being something; and here Bastien was, creating a modern solution to their mortal problems with the promise that she could say no if she wanted to. And she wanted to melt into him right there for that alone. She doesn’t, instead her eyes dance over him consideringly before she smiles gently. “I have been thinking about it… I haven’t.. Come to a decision yet, but I will let you know when I do.” She says gently, eyes softening as she looks over him.

There is something else I wanted to tell you, though. It might… Ruin the mood of this dinner. I don't want to keep secrets from you, love.” She pauses, eyes drifting from him to the wine bottle that sits between them before she returns her gaze back to him. “I know we had agreed that I wouldn’t spend any time with Lucas, but the night you were imprisoned, I went to the Greatwood to look for you. I didn’t find you, obviously, but I did find Lucas and another man. I asked him if he knew where you were.” She explains, setting the fork down to better look at her lover. “He had mentioned you were in the prison, that’s how I knew where to find you. But we were ambushed and almost thrown into the jail alongside you until the Voice spoke through Lucas and saved us from that fate.” She pauses to see how he would react. “I wanted to tell you before, but there just wasn’t a good time.” She frowns softly. “He lead me back to the Outskirts after that, and the next day I came to see you.
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"I suppose you did." Bastien agreed, smiling as he brought the wine glass to his lips. How wonderful, to be proved wrong on this. He was used to a world that returned his cynicism tenfold, especially since he'd been in Caido; to have something go so unexpectedly right was a delightful change.

Rexanna, unsurprisingly, told him she had not decided yet. He just nodded; he would not pressure her, even if every cell in his body was screaming for her to join him. But Bastien knew what he was asking was huge, and if he pushed her toward it at all he was opening the door for future resentments and regrets. This had to be a decision she made entirely on her own, once he had laid the possibility at her feet.

When she said, in such an ominous way, that she had something to tell him, he sat up a little straighter and simply nodded to show he was listening. He tried not to let his heart sink too early, not before he knew what it was. ...And when he found out, as hard as the news was, he was a little relieved. He smiled sadly and shook his head.

"I already knew, Rex." He said simply, then leaned back, swirling his wine around in it's glass. "Or...at least, The Voice told me you saw him." Really, he was happy to know they weren't best friends or secret lovers, as he had been imagining in dark moments. "I cannot control who you see or spend your time with. I just...am concerned for your health, if you stay around Lucas. But you are fine, and it sounds like the meeting led to a good thing, so..." He tilted his head side to side.

"Overall, it is not so large a problem. Just...I don't know. Make sure to not let him get you in the position he did at the Spire. I may not be there next time, and I could not bear the thought of you laying cold again."
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
Before her tale, she watches him sit up straighter and her stomach flips more in its anxiety. But then, he smiled (sort of) and she whooshed a small breath out as though she’d been holding it in. His next words, admitting that he already knew, her brows furrowed together. Confused, and perhaps a bit concerned as to how he knew. But when he told her that the Voice had told him, well, it had made sense. “Ah, yes, she was there in a way, when we were attacked. She spoke through Lucas to get the guards to leave us.” She says quietly, eyes dropping toward the table and the food that sit upon it.

But he continues, and she glances up toward him the more he speaks – something like relief leading its way toward her anxious soul, and she breaths out gently again – her heartbeat pulsing beneath her chest. “Yes, I have been careful.” She says in agreement, nodding to him before giving him a relieved smile. “It won’t happen again like that, I can promise you that.” She reaches for her wine glass and takes a deep drink before setting it down again and turning her attention back on her lover.

So… Now that I’ve gotten that off my chest.” She pauses, an awkward laugh escaping her. “Did the Voice tell you how it would be possible? I’m… A magic user, I’m sure that would be difficult?” She tilts her head to the side and looks upon him. She has to ask, only because Bastien had been a normal human (as far as she knew) when he Ascended. He hadn’t shown her any magic, or any shifting abilities, would she give up her magic?
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Rexanna promised it wouldn't happen again, not like that, and while a part of Bastien felt horribly unsure, wanted to protect her and keep her from those that could harm her...he knew he couldn't. He had to trust her and let her go on her own way, as he had always asked from his own partners. It was the respect to trust they knew what they were doing.

And Rexanna was the most capable woman he'd ever met.

He took a sip of wine and shook his head at her question, but he did not have a fantastic answer. "She merely said she could find a way. Not how it would be acheived. In fairness, I do not really know how I was Ascended. The process was painless and I was not looking at myself, so she may have done all kinds of things." He shrugged. "She has no reason to lie, so I trust she can do it and do it painlessly for you too."

There was a quiet moment where he looked to the window and suddenly seemed to grow comtemplative, considering what exactly the commitment would mean. "Ah, it is a long time. Forever. That is...I assume the Ascended live so long. I know we do not age. It will be strange when those we know who have not Ascended..." He waved his hand, not wanting to say the word, but the meaning was clear.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
While Bastien began to recount what the Voice had told him, she continued to eat the rest of the food she had put on her plate, eyes drifting toward him occasionally when he mentions it’s painless. She nods, slightly, still uncertain how it could be such considering how much of a person it changes. Her stomach is slightly uneasy, but she still manages to smile to him, still considering the alternative – that if she didn’t, she could remain as she is now, magical and embracing the sun on her skin whenever she liked, feeling the brush of the wind and pain when necessary.

But after a quiet moment, she reaches for her glass again and sips from it, when Bastien mentions how long it would be that they’d live. He mentions not aging, and she sees herself growing old and grey, wrinkled and exhausted from the day to day life, watching as Bastien remains just as young and beautiful forever. Her stomach continues to flip, but she sits back in the chair with a solemn nod of agreement. “It’s definitely something to consider.” She murmurs in response, eyes drifting from him toward the kitchen as though she’s lost in thought.

There is a lot for me to gain, and a lot for me to lose.” She says quietly, the strength and ability of the Ascended, to become a weapon of sorts, to fight back against all the injustice. But she’d lose so much, her magic, her ability to roam wherever she wanted at any time of day. Which outweighed which? If she Ascended, would she be of no use to Zariah anymore? Would it defy the order and cause her harm to break the oath?

Perhaps these are things to ask the Voice. “I think I would like to meet her and ask her about it, too, before I make a decision.” She offers, eyes drifting back toward Bastien with a small smile. “I trust you, but I have a few other questions I want answered.” She adds, in case he thought she didn’t believe what he told her.
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien agreed with her concerns, solemnly nodding. She was right: a new life, a promising and exciting and potentially never-ending one, but on the other side the loss of what she knew, what was familiar and what could be just as good, if shorter. He did not know, if their positions were reversed, what he would choose. He would like to say he'd accept without thought, but...had he not written poems about the beauty of fleeting life? About not wishing to be eternal?

How quickly things could change.

"Of course. I told her I would bring you to her once we had spoken about it. If you wish to speak to her privately I would leave you with her, if you felt safe enough." He smiled and finished his wine, looking across at her. "I do...just want to say, that if you choose to not do this, you do not need to worry that I will leave. I will stay with you and be loyal to you and love you until your last days, cara, if they are ten years from now or fifty. I promise you that. I am yours, no matter how you are."

It was a large promise and one he did not make lightly, but he knew it was the truth.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
It was a lot, a lot to think about and prepare for if she were to do it. And for a time, she didn’t know where to start, really. But luckily for her, Bastien seems to be on top of it, able to tell her a few things of what it’s like and how he could take her to the Voice for her questions. And when he mentions that he’d let her speak privately with the Voice if she felt comfortable enough, she offers him a small smile. “Well, she did save me in the woods from being imprisoned, so.” She trails off with that same small smile.

She finishes her wine, too, as he smiles and looks across to her before speaking. But the set of words that come after almost capture her in place as her sapphire gaze remains on Bastien’s face. The freedom of not being pushed into any huge decisions, the idea of not upsetting him should she wish not to do it, that he’d still be by her side regardless of what she chooses, is a freedom that Rexanna hasn’t really known before. Every other time it had been “you must do this” with threats of violence and destruction.

She can’t help the smile that blooms across her face and the small amount of tears that arise and make her eyes glossy as she sets the wine glass down and stands to move over toward him and hug him tight in his chair. “I love you too Bastien.” Her voice is quiet, but packed with emotions. “Sometimes I don’t know what to do having all this freedom.” She adds, pulling away to look upon his face with that same blossomed smile. “You are, and have been, the best thing I could have ever asked for. I am yours too, forever.
queens show no mercy
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Rexanna came over to hug him and while Bastien wished he could feel her warmth, the feeling of her in his arms was enough. Her words made him sad, in a way, even though they were sweet: that his courtesy was a freedom to her, that she had had anything less than she deserved before. He stroked her hair and kissed her jaw, wished that he could go back in time and curse every person who had dared to treat her badly.

"I promise you by the time we've lived some more, I will have topped the best thing many times over." He whispered, pulling away to kiss at her cheeks.
Rexanna De Rosieres
the Penumbra

Change author:
REXANNA
no one wearing a crown,
He kisses her jaw and she sighs into the feeling, not thinking the words she had said to be anything short of normal but he reminders her time and time again that she’s deserved better – that her past doesn’t define her, and that he’s there for her regardless of what she’s done and continues to do, what mistakes and adventures her life takes her on. And she can’t ask for anything better. She makes her way to sit on his lap, arms wrapped around his neck.

You already have.” She replies, smiling to him before settling in with her head on his chest, content to spend the rest of her life like this should she be so lucky. She thinks back to all the times she had wished and dreamed of a better life, never thinking she could find it, when it was here all along – a destroyed and strange world, with strange portals and technology, and gods who listened and fought and worked with those beneath them. It was nothing short of wonderful.

{FIN!}
queens show no mercy