borderlands
for zariah
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Age: 108 | Height: 4' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 11 - Dext: 30 - Endr: 25 - Luck: 28 - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
these violent delights have violent ends
Delah had sent out a contingent of her warriors to find the self-proclaimed queen of the Hollowed Grounds. They had with them an invitation for the two to meet precisely at noon, on the scarred lands that separated the Hollowed Grounds from the Greatwood.

Delah had absolutely no interest in stepping foot into the wasteland that the humans seemed so fond of; indeed even being this close to the barren outskirts made her stomach clench. Still, she arrived with a small cluster of warriors. The chieftess was not here to assert her dominance or lower herself to petty displays of power. Those who truly were powerful had the luxury of letting others find it out for themselves, rather than waiving it about like a banner.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless
Grand Sorceress of the Arcane Academy

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 7 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 23 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
ZARIAH
I know I am a fierce Queen
Zariah was a bit surprised to receive the invitation, but she graciously accepted. She had heard that the Chieftess of the Fae was far from friendly, so she had some early suspicions what this meeting might entail. She informed Edrei of the meeting, so she was aware of where she was headed should she not return in a decent amount of time, but otherwise the Queen intended to arrive alone. This was a meeting for the leaders after all, and the Queen of the Hollowed Grounds was more than capable of defending herself.

She arrived promptly on time, dressed in her usual garb, wild curls framing her doll-like expressionless face like a crown. Zariah towered over the Chieftess, approaching as a Queen ought, with head held high and shoulders straight. But she made a concerted effort to not appear to be looking down upon her. Hazel eyes glanced to the couple guards before focusing in on Delah. ”I take it you are the Chieftess of the Fae, Delah Tàirneanach. It is an honor to meet you.” Zariah said cordially, with a slight bow of greeting, having practiced the pronunciation of the chieftess’s name to get it right. ”Your invitation was a welcomed surprise. How might I be of assistance to you?” she said, voice velvety smooth but exuding friendly warmth.
And they know it too
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Age: 108 | Height: 4' | Race: Fae | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Watching with inscrutable moss-green eyes, Delah waited as Zariah approached. Height differences aside, the warchief more than made up for the disparity in their eyeline with a larger-than life presence. One that her counterpart seemed to share.

"Zariah Launceleyn. Self-proclaimed Queen of the Hollowed Grounds." Delah returned. Her voice was even, like stones in water; it was unclear whether the title was meant as praise or a slight.

"It has come to my attention that you have banned your people from entering my woods, save for exemptions that you can grant. I appreciate that. The fall of the barrier and the subsequent exploration has caused a sickness in my woods that I am eager to eradicate. On that note however, we have seen many continue to enter the woods. One is currently bound in our village." Delah continued, eyes narrowing, the insinuation of the queen's lack of control over her own people quite clear.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Age: 33 | Height: 5'7" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah listened to what Delah had to say, thinking nothing of the self-proclaimed addition to her title. It was the truth after all and she took no offense to it.

”I do not wish for my people to disrespect the sovereignty of the Fae, and I am glad to hear my ruling agreeable to you.” she said, head tilting slightly to the side as she spoke. ”I am aware of these transgressions and apologize on behalf of my people. They have not had a leader in 300 years and it is taking some time for them to adjust to order being thrust upon them.” she said, pausing to consider quietly for a moment. ”Perhaps it would be useful to you to know those who hold current exemptions so we can be clear of those who are breaking the laws? A girl by the name of Phoebe Steadman was given my permission after being asked by the deity Frey to investigate the sickness of the. There is a small group of individuals – Rexanna Reyes, Lucas Copperhead, and Vynter White – we attempted to arrest, but were prevented by interference by the Voice.” Zariah paused briefly to let that information be absorbed.

”I will not interfere with the will of the gods of Caido. Unless they are sent by them, invited by your people, or sent by me to deliver a message, no one from the Hollowed Grounds should be within your wood. I would be happy to reclaim this prisoner and have them suitably punished for this act.” she offered, clearly in no way defending whoever they had captured. They broke a law, and so they would be punished for it.
And they know it too
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Change author:
For a moment Delah considered, and then shook her head. "Your names mean nothing to me. How am I to know to whom these names belong?" Crossing her arms and tightening the muscles therein, the chieftess took a breath. "I would consider offering you tokens so that we might both know who has approval and who does not, but—" Listening at the mention of the Voice, Delah's expression flattened entirely and her eyes blazed.

"That does not merit travel within my woods." She snarled, looking over her shoulder and nodding at the guards. The names Zariah had just said would now be sought for, under highest alert. "The Voice is an abomination. If you wish to receive no quarrel from the fae, you will not send their kind, nor any beneath her banner into my woods."

There might as well have been a miswritten sign saying no ascendeds allowed on the veritable tree-house that was the Greatwood.

On the subject of Wessex? Delah raised a brow as she looked behind Zariah, half expecting her own guard to show up. "The prisoner is an ascended. You may come with us to retrieve her."
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
In the face of Delah’s rage, Zariah remained calm and cool. ”I had a feeling that might be the case.” she said. Based on what she knew of the history, it did not surprise her that mention of the Voice roused her anger. ”Perhaps a compromise, for an abomination the Voice may be, my country is in no position to negotiate her will. I will not approve the travel of any Ascended into the wood. Those travelling under the banner of the Voice will not receive my protections, and you can be free to do as you would to them for their transgression.” she offered. It was a fair compromise she thought. If the Fae wanted to fight the will of the Voice, so be it. She just wasn’t in a position to pick fights with gods at the moment.

”I believe your idea of a token would be a wise course of action in light of this. Do you have an item in mind?” she asked, hoping to steer things back to finding compromise and friendship.

Zariah nodded, but no guard arrived. ”Thank you. I shall see to it an example is made to encourage my people to follow this rule more closely in the future.”
And they know it too
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Change author:
The fae raised a brow, eyes narrowing to hostile slits for just a moment as she considered. It was the first line in whatever treaty was being orchestrated between them. Zariah would not give permission to the abandoned, but she'd also not extend Delah's hostilities to them herself...interesting.

"Permission may never be granted to reach our village." The war chief dictates, no room for negotiation. "If at any time there needs to be an exception, you must ask of it me first, in person." Turning over her shoulder, Delah says something to one of her warriors in a voice that suddenly sounds like a deer scampering through the grasses. In an instant, he has bowed and in his hands, small tokens have appeared. Branded with the Tàirneanach name on one side and an emblem of the Mathair on the other, Delah urges the tokens towards Zariah, caught on a magical breeze.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah nodded, understanding that the Fae had been particularly protective of their main city. ”Certainly. That would exclude, of course, messengers sent by me to you? Or have you some other idea for communication?” she asked. She didn’t really care about the general people, but lines of communication did need to be open between her and Delah, so unless her messengers were allowed in to the city to find the Chieftess, something else would need to be arranged. She didn’t think the Chieftess would be particularly open to the monarch of another people waltzing into her city after all.

The Queen watches with interest as Delah commands her soldiers, and by some magic produces the tokens. Zariah catches the tokens with ease, a hint of a smile playing on her lips. ”You’re people are quite talented in magic I see.” she said as a compliment, but also casual conversation. If they were to be on the same page, it would help if they were able to carry friendly discourse. Carefully she tucked the tokens into an inside pocket of her jacket for safekeeping.
And they know it too
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Change author:
The Greatwood had little need for external means of communication. They were a self-sufficient ecosystem that had never relied on the outside world. Thus, communication was not something Delah had truly needed to consider before. A man behind the war chief, her brother as it turned out, whispered something into Delah's mind that made the chief's lips curl into a smile. Raising a hand, a black raven flew immediately onto it. "The ravens will assist in this." Delah replied, having no idea just how strange it was going to be to receive a piece of parchment from Zariah only to have it read aloud to her in the queen's own voice.

Raising a brow at the compliment, Delah merely nodded. Quite talented was an understatement, but the warchief did not feel the need to show the queen just how off her judgement had been.
Zariah Launceleyn
the Merciless

Change author:
ZARIAH
Zariah raised a brow as Delah’s smile spread across her face and she lifted her hand. But suddenly a raven flew down and landed upon her outstretched hand. A small smirk tugged at Zariah’s lips and she held out her own hand so the bird might hop over onto it. She considered the bird quietly, its black eyes gazing into her hazel ones. Ominous. Dark. Mysterious. ”An elegant solution.” she said with a nod, moving her hand so the raven could sit upon her shoulder, a more comfortable perch for them both.

If the Chieftess knew the Queen better, she would know that quite talented from her was one of the highest compliments one could receive. But alas, she did not. ”I do hope this can be the start of a cordial working relationship between my people and yours, a friendship even, starting with our cooperation.” Zariah said as casual but oddly – for her – sincere conversation as they traversed the Greatwood. ”You have led the Fae for a long time I presume?” she asked, making conversation to try and built report with Delah as they traversed the Greatwood.
And they know it too
Delah Tàirneanach
the Greatwood Guardian
War Chief

Change author:
Delah, not much of a conversationalist, answered in clipped sentences. She did answer though, explaining how her father had been the war chief before she was (slipping in slight sass every now and then as she compared the fae's longer lifespans), that the fae had always kept to the Greatwood and intended to keep it that way, and even a bit about Caido in general.

The Woods, in the warrior's presence, was easy to navigate. Serene and beautiful even. Alone however, the Queen would not find the same to be true.

~FIN