i can't stop judging everything
Emmett
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia

For my part, I know nothing with any certainty
After the disaster of the 'open forum', Amalia makes it a point to grab Emmett before he can go off and make a scene. There is too much on the line, too much danger lurking in the corners of the Grounds to let him get into trouble. So she guides him to the bakery and then down, the trapdoor behind the lavender opening with a creak (she will have to fix this), Jyoti swimming in ahead as they descend into the dark.

Starlight from the whale and Amalia's trio of starmotes illuminates the basement, quickly followed by lantern light as the baker lights candles and lamps. Once they can see better, Amalia gestures to the long table and its makeshift chairs, a wry half-grin offered to Emmett, though her face is weary and worn. "Welcome to the Resistance. Tea?"
but the sight of the stars makes me dream
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 11 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: Lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Emmett was surprised to find himself grabbed by Amalia. He'd have thought in the aftermath of the audience, the way he had boldly defied the Queen, everyone would have been avoiding him; not wanting to be guilty by association. But she was and he followed, hoping she was not intending to take him to a traitor's death.

Somehow though, he knew she wasn't. There was a determination in the eyes of the pious woman that made him confident she was about to help him.

They entered her bakery then a trapdoor was opened. Emmett felt then as if he was being let into some great secret, though what it was he couldn't guess. Was Amalia just showing him her bread stocks? He climbed down slowly, looking about the room as it was lit. The long table and chairs indicated a meeting had taken place here, but now it was empty.

Amalia's words didn't sink in at first. He nodded mutely to the question of tea then sat, stared about the walls. "...The...resistance? T'...T'Zariah? I didn' think anythin' like this would get made so fast."
Emmett
You think that luck has left you there
But maybe there's nothing
Up in the sky but air
And there's no mystical design
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia

Amalia laughs as she moves to make tea, but the sound is humorless, a hollow thing, her heart clearly far from anything resembling mirth. "You didn't?" she asks, pouring water from a nearby pitcher into the teapot and setting it in the still warm stove. Jyoti hums softly, trying to reassure the boy, her lazy somersaults leaving a cloak of starlight around his chair. Turning around, the girl shrugs, her face hard and tired from the past few weeks. "Nobody wants her to be Queen, Emmett. Or at least, nobody sane."

Pulling out a seat across from him, the baker sits down heavily, her stars following behind. She rests her head upon her palms, thoughtful for a second, eyes distant, distracted. Blinking, Amalia looks back at the boy and sighs heavily again. "So that was a shitshow," the Shield says flatly, a wry half-smile on her face.
Emmett Palmer

Age: 28 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
"No, I...didn'...but I'm mighty glad." Emmett nodded, smiling a little at the knowledge that he wasn't alone in being...well, as Amalia put it, sane. The word made him think of Phoebe, how bizarre it still was to him that she could support any of this; how that conversation had made him see divides that he had been blind to before. He sighed, wishing he had handled it better, but not regretting his decision.

Amalia sat down and he took the tea, waiting for her to say anything. When she rested her head down and laughed, he did too. "Yeah, y'ain' wrong. And I got the feelin' it's just one of a lotta shitshows we're gonna be seeing around here now." And if he kept being how he was, he knew he wasn't going to live to see all of them. But if it meant he could stop it ...would he die? He didn't know, and he tried not think of it.

"So...have y'guys got a plan? Down here?"
Emmett
Up in the sky but air
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

Amalia's wry smile falters as he talks about the probability of more shitshows, a sigh falling from her lips. Nodding, she rubs her palms across her eyes, as though the action might wipe away the reality of the situation, and the world she looks at after would make some sense. But it doesn't, because when she opens them again she is still sitting in the bakery basement, looking at Emmett across the table, preparing to tell him about her plans to overthrow a queen.

The strange turns a year can take, she thinks.

"We're working on it." This may be generous: they are discussing, but working? Only the next meeting will tell. "Right now... most of the plan is to find a leader, and then to take over from Zariah. I think we should have a council, and we should have naturals and outlanders on it, but..." She sighs again, biting her lip in thought. It had seemed so simple when they began, but now? Not it's messy, and complicated, and difficult to navigate, and Amalia is out of her depth.

Glancing over at Emmett, the girl considers a moment before asking the question on her tongue. "Last time I talked to Phoebe she seemed pretty happy with Zariah. Did that change, or...?"
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
"A leader? Huh." Emmett was a little worried that given his speech in the meeting, he was about to be chosen for the position, which he would most definitely refuse if it was offered. He had passion and bravery, but not leadership skills. And unlike some people, he wouldn't assume a position of power unless he had the best interests of the people beneath him in mind.

The question he was actually asked threw him off guard and he shook his head, looked off and bit a nail. "No, tha' didn' change. We um...we ain' together anymore partly cos of it, actually. She...doesn' seem to see a problem of it, and I jus'..." He sighed. "I'm not sure I believe Naturals n Outlanders can be together, not close. There's just too many differences."

That wasn't even really why he had split with Phoebe, but that had been such a combination of things it was hard to put into words. "...I dunno. S'all a lot harder than I thought it'd be, this year."
Emmett
Up in the sky but air
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

"Oh, Vi, I'm sorry." Is she? it isn't clear from her tone of voice just how tragic she finds this breakup, but Amalia is sorry that Emmett is sad, that another weight has been added to the burdens they all currently share. His comment about outlanders and naturals makes her bite her lip, her expression clouding slightly as she turns to look away. "I don't know... I think that one thing - the only thing - Zariah has right is that we have to stop thinking about it in those terms. Outlanders and Naturals. We all live here now, y'know, and a lot of Outlanders aren't so bad." She trails off, a little bit of a blush rising on her cheeks.

That this year has been hard is a powerful understatement, and the girl remembers with a clenching pang that Emmett has had it harder than most. "Everything's changed," Amalia agrees, and that too is an understatement. Their world has fractured and expanded without their input or consent, walls broken down by those with no appreciation for why they'd been built.

Looking back at the boy before her, she wishes she could shield him, protect him from the trials they have faced, the countless ones doubtless soon to come. Instead she reaches across the table, offering her hand in solidarity, comfort, support, a promise and reminder that despite it all, they are still them. "We'll make the next year better," Amalia tells him softly. "Bad times never last forever."

She isn't sure she believes this, but it doesn't really matter. In the end, the lies they tell themselves are all they have to shield against those most painful of truths.
Emmett Palmer

Change author:
Amalia brought her own thoughts to his words on Outlanders and Naturals, and for the hundredth time Emmett was cast into doubt. Was he too strict, too quick to draw lines? "...I guess not. I dunno. I guess we need to hit a happy medium. Bein' nice t'em and treatin' them right, but...when it comes t'Natural stuff, our traditions n laws n stuff in Caido..shouldn' that be our call?"

He looked down at his hand in Amalia's - his dirty, square knuckles and her small bakers hands. Together, could they fix this? Not alone, but...their chances still seemed so small, somehow. But he couldn't spit in the face of her optimism, not when he so desperately wanted to believe it himself.

"...I hope y'right. I mean, I..." Ain' got any more parents to lose was held back, Emmett thinking at the last moment the joke was probably too dark. "I think I'm gettin' a hang on stuff."
Emmett
Up in the sky but air
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia

Emmett is right, but it's harder than that, harder than anything they have dealt with before. A happy medium is the perfect ideal, but clearly they are far from that, because the lines are already there, already blurred, an unclear road-map to a haphazard world. "It should," she agrees softly, sadly, a gentle sigh in her alto voice. "It should be up to us. And I hate that Zariah didn't listen, or even ask, today. But there's a lot of others who do."

She wishes she could ease some of the sadness from his face. Her thoughts go to Phoebe, who had always seemed so sweet; and then she remembers the things she'd said about Zariah in the woods. They are children forced too soon to play at adulthood. No wonder they managed to hurt themselves, to fall apart under outside pressure that none among them were particularly prepared to wield in the first case?

Drawing her hand back, Amalia smiles, trying to keep the darkness from her face."Well, you feeling calm enough to head back into the sunlight? I could use some help on the evening bake."