Only a Look and a Voice
For Remi
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
The idea of weighing down Zariah's foot with his cube made Sam smile. Hypothetically, it would work, which only made it all the funnier.

The smile left his face when he noticed Remi stiffen as he touched his hand; Sam withdrew immediately. He had thought they were at a level of friendship where such touches were just affectionate and understood. He did not want to appear as if he were attempting to come inbetween Remi's marriage, didn't want to lose the friendship of either Remi or Ronin (maybe Ronin a little bit, after what The Voice had said).

"...I suppose you are right. Still doesn't mean it has to be us that do it, though." He pointed out, but he knew he wasn't going to get Remi to agree to his plan alrready. "I just...wish everything could be simple for at least a month, you know? Things never seem to go right for long enough. I...I was thinking, if the storms around the Greatwood stop, I might go further. What...do you think about that?"

And it's hard to write about being happy
'Cause the older I get
I find that happiness is an extremely uneventful subject
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
it was all dead end roads, heaven knows
For the alchemist who had long-suffered without physical affection for decades, a mere touch would never be that. Not for him anyways, and certainly not with Sam. He felt himself relax as Sam pulled away, flashing the man an apologetic smile as nervous feathers continued to softly spread throughout his curls.

"A month?" Remi repeated with a sly smile. "I would be happy for just a week where things are easy and simple." Turning to regard the clouds overhead again, the alchemist paused thoughtfully. "Well. I would very much like to see the ocean again." He mused, his smile turning slightly wistful. "But with all that is happening here, and with Aoife being so young, I am not sure."

Glancing sidelong at Sam, Remi nudged his shoulder. "And you? What do you hope to find out there?"
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel
"The ocean. Yes. I've heard there is one at the other side of the Greatwood, but I do not know the way. Maybe if I find it some day, I can take you there." Sam suggested, a hopeful smile on his face. It was a nice image, strolling along the beach with his friends, something almost out of a fantasy book. Certainly nothing that felt possible in the near future.

Remi asked what he hoped to find, out in the world. Sam was silent for a moment, because he didn't really know the answer beyond vague dreams and ideas. He wanted to find himself, confidence, some meaning in his life..but those weren't really answers.

"I think...I would like to see a lot of different things. And...meet all sorts of different people. So that I can come back home knowing that I've seen everything outside, and now I can relax. I could draw, and write, and not worry about what was going on outside and if I was missing it." This answer was a half-truth but it was the best he could come up with for the moment. "Maybe..by the time I came back...the Hollowed Grounds will have worked out it's problems."

'Cause the older I get
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi tugged in a breath, closing his eyes at the memory of the water. Of flying over it, the salty spray and bouyant sea breezes that he could glide on for miles...and of course the image of Ronin appearing naked from the spray was always a nice addition. "It really is lovely. So large that it is almost unimaginable...I wonder..if the fae would let me fly over their woods to find it. Or if that breaks their rules as well."

Letting his head loll towards Sam entirely now, Remi regarded his friend in silence for a moment. The alchemist had never felt the sort of fear of missing out that Sam was describing; the world had always been barred from Remi, always out of reach. He'd always more or less accepted that, and in the moment, he found that he was rather proud of Sam for not being the same.

"That sounds very noble and ambitious of you, Sam." Remi said with an affectionate chuckle. "I think even if you do not see everything that there is, your life will be plenty exciting. As for the Hollowed Grounds..." Shaking his head, Remi exhaled a stream of air that caused a curl on his forehead to bounce upwards. "With someone like Zariah in charge, I am not sure that will ever happen."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
"I suppose if you can fly by unnoticed, it would not matter about breaking their rules." Sam pointed out, but there was no confident suggestion in his words; he was far too meek himself to actually imply Remi should break a law (except coming to live in the Greatwood, but he hadn't gotten so far in the plan as to realise that would be illegal).

Remi called him noble and ambitious, two words that immediately made him laugh and shake his head at their sheer ridiculousness.

"I have not often been optimistic, but...maybe it will work out. If so many people are against her, it cannot last for long, right?" Sam asked hopefully. "I know stories are not..the same, but when I read the legends and histories people who try to lead the way she has don't...well, they don't stay on the throne for long."

'Cause the older I get
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"I happen to be a bit of a law-follower, if you had not realized." Remi quipped. Although...given that this was the first instance of laws in the Hollowed Grounds, Sam probably didn't realize.

With a thoughtful nod, Remi shrugged his shoulders. "The rulers back home were not the best, but this is certainly more violence than I have seen. Then again, I did not interact with them at all, save for a handful of times. Perhaps this is how they actually are, when you deal with them up close."
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam merely shrugged, not especially considering Remi a 'law-follower' either way. It was hard to know, when The Hollowed Grounds had always just sort of had a social rule, but no formal justice system. He supposed he'd never known him to kill (and thank goodness for that) or steal; but he also knew that Remi was loyal and brave. He suspected if it came to be between breaking a law or leaving his friends to die, Remi would choose the former.

"You did not...interact with them? The people who were running your town?" Sam frowned, confused about such a system. "That hardly seems fair. Surely if they are governing your people they should...know the people?" He did not realise how hopeful, how naive this sounded; his idea of leadership skewed by stories of fair kings in books.

'Cause the older I get
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Mmm, no." Remi said with a gentle shake of his head. "Ronin did, on occasion. He was a baron—a blueblood such people were called—while I was just a commoner. Zariah would have as well. Roana perhaps too. But others, like myself and Phoebe, we...were more or less told what to do." The alchemist yawned slowly, the old information feeling like a lifetime ago now. "They lived in luxurious and large homes. Even Ronin had a lovely townhouse, while I lived in one-room house, if you can call it that, with a hole in my roof and no lock on my door." Remi shrugged.
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Remi described his world and Sam frowned. The more he heard of the place, the more unfair and bizarrely harsh it seemed. He had not often been fond of his home but when he heard of the other options, he wondered if he was actually lucky to have been born in Caido.

"I see...so you and Ronin being together now would be unusual in your home, I suppose? ...Oh, you told me men couldn't be together anyway. What a terrible place." He shook his head. "I...do not think there is anyone who wants to be with me, but if they did I'd like to know I had the option to. Do you know if the...um...'Queen' has any opinions on that? If she comes from where you were..?"

'Cause the older I get
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Unusual?" Remi half sat up, leaning on one elbow to look down at Sam with an expression of horror and wry amusement. "More like illegal." He added, exhaling a stream of air through his nose. "I do not remember it of course, but...even helping Loren with his experiments in his townhome was extremely frowned upon. We had to make it quite clear that we were strictly working. I was a commoner though and he a duke, so that added to the trouble. It is likely why Ronin and Loren were able to carry on while they did." He said with a soft shrug.

As Sam mentioned that there was no one who wanted to be with him, the alchemist frowned deeply. Leaning as he was, once upon a time it would have been all too easy to simply brush the coppery hair from Sam's eyes and lean down to kiss him. Now though, all Remi could do was offer his friend an adoring but sad smile. "That is not true Sam. Or at least, it will not be true forever." He said in a low voice.

As for Zariah?

"She...allowed it. I am not sure if that is only because of how helpful I can be to her, or because she does not want Ronin as an enemy. I know it is not allowed for members of her family, though."

We can definitely just let this thread linger/die whatever you want for your break <3
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam watched Remi's face carefully as he spoke. He knew of Remi's past life in Northhaven, had written some of it down in his diaries. Any new details were fascinating, not just because they were to do with his friend (and once, lover) but because they were the details of a world removed from his own. Though he frowned at the mention of Ronin and Loren. Had the two been together? Before Loren and Remi had?

What a complicated romantic life Remi led, he thought.

He didn't respond to Remi's gentle comforts, just smiled and looked off to the side, disbelieving. Staying like that for a while, looking up at the sky and nodding to show he listened, he quietly wondered how things were going to be five years on. Would their lives be completely changed by strange Outlander morals? Would Remi still be there? Would he?

"..I...should probably go back to the Woods." He said eventually, sitting up. "I have a shelter, like a tent. It's not the same as my bed, but...sometimes it's nice. To hear the birds in a morning, and smell the leaves." Fishing the little stone of his pocket to show Remi, he added: "If you need me, you know how to contact me."

'Cause the older I get
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Sitting up and frowning slightly as their conversation came to a close, the alchemist sighed softly and nodded. The thought of Sam sleeping in a tent (feeling the coldness of the ground and aching in the morning, all because of a device that Remi himself had made), made Remi want to curl inwards and sigh deeply. Instead though, he merely smiled down at the stone and nodded. "And you, me."

Standing, he offered Sam a hand if he wanted it, before leaning back with his hands on his lower back to stretch out his muscles.

"If you need anything, you will let me know?" Like a new tent? A better pillow? Anything?
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam took the hand, standing and holding Remi's wrist with his other hand for a moment with a smile, before he stepped away, towards the woods.

"I will. I promise. And...I'll see you soon."

'Cause the older I get