opportunity knocks
for Bastien
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3061
there is always hope
Ronin had promised Bastien that he would bring him something fun from the Monster Hunter's Guild, and he planned to deliver. The hunter carried with him a truly wicked set of claws from some mutated beast or another he'd taken as his latest mark, figuring that his friend could mount them on his wall or whatever.

It was a breezy evening, Ronin having felt it polite not to show up until such a time when Bastien could easily move around (i.e. not spontaneously combust) and he knocked at the doors of the sanctuary before tentatively opening them. "Hello?" he called, his voice echoing throughout. "Bastien, are you home?"
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian
Ambassador for the Hollowed Grounds / Artist

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 22 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 10 - Int:
PITTORE - Mythical - Gremlin (Disappearance)
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
BASTIEN
I used to be an angry man, I wanted things that weren’t mine
At fifteen paces in the sand I left that all behind
Bastien was usually painting or creating in his Sanctuary, but even the greatest artists of all time had to have a rest now and then. He was idly sat on a couch, bottle of wine he could hardly taste held loosely in his hand, a song playing through the thought player (a most miraculous gift) that he couldn't quite remember right; he regularly frowned and shook his head and the song would change just slightly, the melody still not quite there.

A knock at the door caused him to look up, a grin appearing as soon as he recognised the voice of his guest. Ronin was always welcome (one day, he hoped, he might convince him to join the guild) and Bastien stood to greet him.

"Ronin! What could I and my humble sanctuary do for you? If you just wish to use our creative facilities, the floor is open." He gestured widely to the room then went to pour out a drink for his friend.
Now my spirits rise when she turns out the bedroom light
I gently haunt my lover in the cold and tender night
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
there is always hope
The song reached his ears within moments, bringing a light smile to Ronin's lips - every time he walked into the Artist's Sanctuary something seemed to have changed. (Which he supposed was precisely the point). Even so, the hunter was given a brief opportunity to admire the interior before Bastien spoke and stole his attention.

"Whilst your offer is always appreciated, it is actually you I've come to see, my friend!" Grinning now, Ronin stepped forward to greet the Ascended, clapping him warmly on the shoulder and offering out the jagged obsidian claws. "I did promise you a trophy from my guild, did I not?" He shrugged.

"That isn't all, though. There's... a lot to speak about, it seems. To begin with, how are you?" Now that you are out of jail went unsaid.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Age: 41 | Height: 6' 2" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
BASTIEN
"Me? I mean, of course." Bastien smiled, liking to think that a lot of the guild's visitors actually came secretly to see him rather than create. That over time he could become a figure of myth like he had done in Venice, a name whispered to young artists trying to make their first ways in the world.

Seeing the claws, he gasped and leaned forward to take them, lifted them up to the light to see them better. "How wonderful! I would love to hear the tale. Are these from a vile dragon or a great phoenix?" Whatever they were, they were certainly beautiful. He put the macabre trophy on a shelf for the moment, planning to display it nicely later.

Ronin said they had much to discuss, and Bastien supposed in a way all of them did. With the Queen and the woods, there was certainly a lot happening in Caido. But for him specifically from the Captain? Interested, he passed Ronin his wine and sat, motioned for him to sit too. "I am well. My guild is thriving, Rexanna may soon join me in Ascension and I managed to annoy our new Queen for a little before being thrown in jail." He laughed, not showing the real regret he held over the incident because of what it had forced Rexanna into.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
Surrendering the claws and offering an appropriately dashing grin, Ronin shrugged his shoulders. "A chimera, I suppose you might call it. It was a big cat once, probably, but it had morphed with something with feathers, and something else with scales. The world is better off without it, I assure you," he said with a shrug, accepting his wine and sinking down to sit with his friend.

Hearing of Bastien's day to day brought back memories of older times, when they had both been figuring out their way in this new world. How odd, to feel comfortable in a place where once they had been utter strangers not so long ago. "Ascension you say? Congratulations, I think!" He grinned, raising his glass. "Ah yes, I did hear that you had successfully gotten under her skin. A talent of yours, I think."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"Chimera..." Bastien repeated, trying the word out. He'd never heard of the beast, but he knew if he was displaying it's claws in his guild he would simply have to tell dramatic tales of it and the way it had been slain. Not that Ronin had given him that many details, but he was sure he could fill them in.

So there Ronin was, shirt ripped, revealing his toned and well-oiled muscles, stood panting, chest heaving, looking down at the beast. And with one swing of his muscular, sexy arm, he chopped the head clean off, only pausing to wipe the blood off his face in the coolest way you've ever seen.

"Congratulations will certainly be in order, but for good luck I think we should save them until she has actually agreed." He smiled, still unsure if Rexanna would truly go through with the process. As for the Queen... "I've never even met the woman! Watched her talk like a true tyrant in that abysmal meeting, but never spoke to her myself. Perhaps it is for the best. I think after three sentences I might find myself with my head in a basket."
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"Mm. It means a mix of different creatures, I think. Head of a lion, tail of a snake and so forth." Quite frankly, Ronin's mind had been doing all it could to banish the image of the beast away for good, so he wouldn't try to think on it too hard. Instead, taking another sip of wine (and thoroughly oblivious to Bastien's imagined retelling of the tale in his mind), Ronin relaxed into his seat and listened when his friend began to speak.

"I mean after zero sentences you ended up behind bars," he quipped in ready agreement, amusement written all through his smile. "And you're remarkably calm too, considering. Even so... I don't imagine you agree with all of this. What she's doing, I mean..."
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
"I see. Fascinating...so many things exist in this world I would have thought only for fantasy plays back home." Though as curious as he was, he was glad to only have the claws and not having faced the beast himself. He was not a fighter, not by nature.

Ronin told him he was calm, and Bastien laughed quietly. He supposed it probably did seem that way, but really he was anything but. He had always been skilled at burying his true feelings and keeping a persona of easy drinking and smirks; bringing out the deep feelings he kept in his art, or recently, when he was with Rexanna.

"Of course I don't. But I have found myself caught in a trap. Rexanna...she is working...or at least, in unwilling service to Zariah. So that makes it difficult for me to fight against her, in the fear it may hurt my love." He rubbed a hand over his face, clearly troubled. "But truthfully? I do not think I would like any leader. I see that it is maybe something necessary here, but...I have never been a fan of organised power. Of authority. It is a necessary evil at best and at worst, it is state-sanctioned cruelty. This...Queen is an example of the latter." Caido did not have the right political context for everything he said, but it was close enough.

"I think though...I think it will work out. The people will rise." He nodded, a confidence he didn't feel in his words.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
"I can only agree - whilst there were some strange things where I was from, this world only continues to surprise me over and over." Ronin shook his head and took another sip of his wine. A place with dragons and chimeras and a goddess made of stars... certainly this was the stuff of dreams. Unfortunately they could not continue to talk about dreams, for the reality of Zariah's rule was always close at hand, weighing down any fanciful thoughts.

And as Ronin listened he realised just how tangled a web it was that Bastien had wove with the Merciless, whether he had wanted to or not. "Mm... I come from a place where bigotry is all anyone knows, though it sometimes wears a pretty face. I worry that without any leader we risk following that same path..." And given his recent conversation with Amalia... well.

"It isn't hopeless, though." Leaning forward, Ronin spoke in a low and careful voice, planting seeds of sedition and rebellion and caring not a stitch about it.
Bastien De Rosieres
the Dionysian

Change author:
BASTIEN
Bastien knew well about bigotry. After all, he had been a bisexual Indian man in Europe; the world had not always been kind or gentle to him. While he didn't know what prejudices Zariah brought with her, he had enjoyed that his life here had not been marked by racism or homophobia; he would not easily let go of the peace this had given him.

The way Ronin leaned forward, hints of rebellion in his eyes, made Bastien very excited indeed. Conspiratorally he leaned in too, close enough to whisper. "It is never hopeless, my friend. But the way you say this makes me think you have a plan...?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
there is always hope
Ronin grinned. "A plan? Such a thing would be near enough to treason, wouldn't it?" Laughing, even so the guildmaster didn't deny it. Continuing to whisper - as though the walls around them might have Zariah's spies listening in on them - Ronin would describe the 'plan' they had made, more or less, and what they wished to do from there.

"So if you come to the place I mentioned," he said softly, "we can talk a little more... ah, freely about what we might do about the state of the Hollowed Grounds. What do you say, Bastien?" This had, after all, been the real reason for his coming to visit his Ascended friend. Though the chimera claws had been a nice touch, he did admit.