before the thunder
Ronin
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580

AMALiA
We need to talk. Tonight.

She'd baked the note into a loaf of bread delivered to the Guildhall, innocuous enough- unless he noticed the paleness of her cheeks, the fear and exhaustion she tries to hide from underneath her eyes. Then she returned to the bakery, doing her best to go about her day as though nothing were wrong.

As though Zariah had not threatened the very fiber of her world.

When the strain and anxiety became too much - when even Jyoti could not calm her - she went into the garden, channeling her energy into physical labor, hoping cool air would still her raging thoughts.

And when even that was not enough, the creeping fingers of terror and fury too much to possibly ignore, the raging thoughts inside her head pounding and crying and calling out and threatening to break her apart, she went down to the basement, her staff in hand, a grim set to the line, and began to train.

So she is now: sweaty, grim-set, her face a mask of fury and her movements fast and tight. Violence is not an answer, but damn if the idea of whacking Zariah upside the head with the crimson antlers is not appealing. She is distracted enough that she does not hear the door open, does not pay mind to the world: she is a machine, brutal, efficient, enraged, a far cry from the gentle baker who most would likely expect.

the darkest nights produce the brightest stars
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 58 - Dext: 70 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 79 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Online
Change author:
MP: 3061
everything has its wonders
"Amalia?"

Ronin's voice echoed down the steps into the basement - a brief warning of his impending arrival. He had tried the bakery and its little garden first, of course, not knowing what this meeting would entail, but when that failed he headed down into the place where he had been more or less crowned king.

The sight of the baker had troubled him, it was true - Amalia did not look well to say that things were finally (apparently) falling into place, that there was now a plan where there hadn't been one before. "I got your note." Nearly ate it, actually, went the unsaid comment - he didn't think it was the time for it. "What do you need to talk about?"
even darkness and silence

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

AMALiA
She has nearly forgotten about the note by the time Ronin arrives, too caught up in her own discontent, distracted by her doubts. Spinning swiftly at the sound of the door opening, for a moment she is a wild thing, fearful and fearsome, a little bit dangerous, as much feline as human girl. Then her face softens with recognition and Amalia slowly lowers her staff, her usually expressive face opaque.

What do you need to talk about? What doesn't she need to talk about? The fact that she has nearly died multiple times? The endless blight, the approaching Long Night, that even though they are making progress it still feels like they're standing still while all around them the world crumbles and their enemies (and gods, but when did she get enemies?!) grow stronger by the day and she has no idea what she's doing because she was born in a snowglobe that shattered before she could even think to learn to breathe--?

"It's Zariah." Her voice is low, tired, strained, her black eyes hard as she looks at Ronin. "She approached me, last night."

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
"Hey, it's just me." Ronin held his hands up in a placating gesture - the last thing he had expected was for Amalia to be training down here, let alone for her to round on him at the first sound of an interruption.

He tried on a smile for her when she lowered the staff, Ronin dropping his hands and stepping further into the basement. Before he could make some wry quip or a joke or... well, anything, she opened with perhaps the one thing that could kill his cheerful demeanour.

"I see," he murmured, pulling up a seat and sinking down into it, nodding for Amalia to join him if she liked. "She approached you," he said slowly, a frown knitting his eyebrows together. "Did she say why...?"

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
She watches, hollow, as Ronin sits, but does not accept the invitation to join. If she could bring herself to sit, to sleep, to relax at all, she might have done so in the hours since her life began to spin out of control. Instead she is wound like a broken toy, twitching without any sense of purpose, utterly lost on what to do with her anxious energy and indignation, spinning and spinning and spinning. "To insult me, mostly," she answers blandly, too tired to say anything but what she feels. How long has it been since she slept? Since she felt comfortable enough in her skin to relax? "To tell me I was pious and worthless and nothing but a childish baker. Things I could have told her myself." A mirthless laugh does not soften the truth of the words.

Amalia spent so long believing these things of herself, it is easy enough for someone like Zariah to push them back to the fore.

She turns away from the guildmaster, pacing, stalking, catlike, a strangely feline grace despite her human form. "More importantly, she seems to have plans to make people who are close to the Old Gods second class citizens. Or exiles. Or dead. It wasn't super clear." A tight shrug, the anxiety palpable as she moves. "She told me to leave, before that happens. Which will be hard, since she's also decided to arrest me in a week."

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
To insult me, mostly.

Would that Ronin was surprised by that. Still, he watched as Amalia paced and prowled, watched as she explained what had happened and beat herself with Zariah's words in equal measure. It was with a calm that was more learned than natural that he absorbed the information for what it was - the intention to make a Northaven out of the Hollowed grounds; the intention to arrest his recently appointed advisor.

Ronin found himself on his feet quite without noticing, placing himself before Amalia as she paced and reaching out to gently grasp her by the shoulders if she would allow; an attempt to ground her, to root her in the here and the now and the them of the basement. "You are not worthless, you are not childish, you are not nothing," he said slowly and firmly. "Alright? This is Zariah's favourite game, Amalia. If you are angry and wounded, you are not thinking clearly." And a clear head was exactly the thing they needed to get past this.

"She will not arrest you - it's as simple as that. I'll take your place if it comes to it. As for the rest..." He shook his head. "We need allies, Amalia. We need to meet with the Fae ourselves. That way, if Zariah does as she says, there is somewhere to go."

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
She stops, though reluctantly, his gentle hands halting her motion, stilling her restless, stalking pace. She stops, but she does not raise her eyes to his; her gaze is trained somewhere around his chest, fixed and peering as though if she only stares hard enough she might be able to see his beating heart. Another short, hollow laugh: "You don't know that," the baker snaps, a reflex left from darker days when those were the thoughts that filled her mind, almost drowned her beneath dark tides. Worthless, childish, nothing, small. Why do you try - why do you try? - when all you do is fail?

Ronin does not know her. None of them do- not really, not in truth. Amalia has spent seasons burying those flaws, trying to be better than the things she believes. And in one night Zariah has managed to pluck the strings that hold her heart together, leaving her ruined, in shambles, alone.

I'll take your place is enough to shake her out of her own misery and guilt, her onyx gaze incredulous as it rises to the man. "You won't." Amalia stares at him as though he's said the most unbelievable nonsense she's ever heard. "Don't be stupid. You have Aoife, and a wedding, and to keep everything in place. Besides, it won't do any good. She wants Jigano, since he hasn't enlisted - she hopes she can go through me to get him. I should have just let the Lore Seekers been disbanded. I shouldn't have tried. Every time I try it just makes things worse." The Tulmhainar. The Fae. The Spire. The Spark Perch. The Underground.

Her mother.

She's pacing again, walking through the room, her mind racing at a wild pace that accomplishes nothing but fuels her anxiety. "The Fae won't help. Delah doesn't care about us. She probably loves that Zariah has forbidden us from the woods. But I can try to talk to her. The pit is probably better than trying to deal with her highness."

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
if there's one thing i'm good at, it's surviving
She paused, she objected, she continued to pace again. Ronin took a long, deep breath and let it out again, before moving to sink down in his seat once more, watching her with quiet blue eyes. "Amalia," he said slowly, "indulge me for a second, please? Imagine our roles were reversed. Imagine I was your friend, and I was saying all of this to you. What advice would you give me?"

His brow furrowed at the mention of Delah, the hunter unable, really, to comment much on that given that he'd had no interaction with the Fae war chief. "I'd like to meet her as well, if it wouldn't be too difficult a thing to accomplish. I've barely been into the Greatwood since the barrier fell..." Other things on his mind, clearly.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
She pauses enough to listen to his question, stormy black eyes closing in a sigh. Imagine if the roles were reversed- but that's the thing: they wouldn't be. Ronin would never have been so stupid, so naive as to continually try and try. "I'd tell you to pull yourself together." Her tone is tired and a little stubborn, as though she does not want to admit the wisdom in her own words. "That what's done is done, and the only thing to do is find a way to move forward." Sighing heavily, the baker at last sinks down into a seat, though calling her posture anything close to relaxed would be a gross mischaracterization of facts. "But Ronin... everything I've done has resulted in disaster. Just look at the Spire."

Running her hand anxiously through her hair, Amalia stares at her shaking knees. "It might be possible. She... tolerates me, because of Jyoti. I can try to sneak into the woods and find her." She shrugs her shoulders, and for the first time something close to real amusement passes her troubled face. "What's the worst that can happen if I'm caught? I get thrown in jail?"

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
RONIN
if there's one thing i'm good at, it's surviving
A soft smile flickered across Ronin's face; it was blunt, but it was still better coming from her than him. He relaxed into his seat as she finally came to join him - now they could do what she herself had suggested, and find a way to move forward. "Everything?" he repeated, raising his eyebrows. "What about saving Jyoti, or persuading me to step up and face this leadership thing head on?" He drummed his fingers upon the table.

"I'll take that some things have resulted in disaster - that's natural for everyone. But not you, not always, and not everything." Shrugging, he seemed to brighten a little at the confirmation that she could try to find Delah. As to what would happen if she were arrested, however... well, Ronin let out a snort at the prospect.

"A riot, headed by Deimos?" he suggested. "Or a rebellion, or a prison break... also all led by Deimos. Does that sound bad enough to you?" Ronin wouldn't mess with the stern faced warrior, put it that ay.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
"You did that on your own," she murmurs, skirting around the comment on Jyoti. "You knew it was the right thing. Though if you start calling yourself 'king' and arresting people for keeping guilds open, we're going to have some words." Her voice is gravelly with wry half-humor, though that quickly fades as her face twists and her head drops to her hands. "Ugh- see? That's what I mean. I can't.. I can't stop trying, even though it almost always goes wrong." Sighing heavily, she runs her hands through her tawny hair, wishing she could vanish away into nothing.

Why can't she simply let things go?

His comment about Deimos makes her head snap up sharply, cheeks tinged just a little pink. "He wouldn't..." He would, though, and the girl knows it, as stupid a plan as it might be. It remains painfully bizarre to the baker, to have so many people care. In a way she wishes they simply didn't, because it would be easier, safer for them all.

Mostly, she is awed to feel loved.

"Promise me you'll keep him from doing something stupid." And when did Ronin become her sounding board, the altar where she dropped all of her problems? The world is weird, changing rapidly. It's dizzying, and beautiful, and terrifying too.

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"And so did you. And you wouldn't let me forget it until I got up off my ass and did something about it," Ronin countered with a half smile, unwilling to let her put herself down - he knew too well how easy that could be, and how much of a trap it could turn into. "I think that always trying is an admirable trait. Because it sometimes goes right. And as one of the examples of when it does, I can say that I'm glad you did try." His smile turned sunnier, as if knowing he would likely be annoying Amalia with his optimism.

Still, her request of him was a touch sobering, and Ronin gave her a reassuring nod. "I will," he said, "I promise. But you aren't going to be arrested - we'll find a way. Just as we'll find a way to stop everything that Zariah is doing." Whether it was now or months away, it would happen.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

AMALiA
"And if more things go wrong than right?" Her heart isn't in it, though, and her dim smile speaks of concession, though whether because she believes him or because she doesn't feel like arguing any longer remains unclear. Amalia may be stubborn but she knows when it's enough. They can talk themselves in circles until the sun comes up.

It won't accomplish anything.

The promise he makes has an obvious effect, Amalia relaxing visibly as the words leave his lips. "Thank you." Leaning back in her chair, the baker let's out a sigh, unconvinced by his show of optimism but willing to let him have it. "Alright, well, since all my plans go horribly awry- what do you propose we do?"

Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
"Then we get up, brush ourselves off and learn from it," Ronin responded easily, shrugging his shoulders. "Treat it like training yourself. You aren't always going to get it right - that's life. But if you can learn a lesson from it and be better next time, you're doing alright." Still, he noted her smile, however small it might be right now, and resigned to leave the conversation there for now. Besides, there were altogether more pressing concerns - like Amalia's arrest.

"Well... you said that she plans to arrest you to get to Jigano. On what basis? Does she think you are harbouring a fugitive? I'm not sure she can arrest you in good faith for wanting to keep a guild together," he said slowly. It was anticlimatic but if this could really all be avoided by talking, was that so very wrong?

Coding base by Sky!