bread true
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
They say blood makes you related but
loyalty makes you family
At least Amalia was willing to see Loren again. He’d take his victories where he could, since they were few and far between these days. ”I’ll look for him next time I go out to feed them.” It was early, yet, so the luxere were scarce. But he felt it best to do as much coaxing as possible in the limited time they had. ”Or we could look for him together?” His voice came out with a great deal of uncertainty, both because he wasn’t sure if she would want to accompany him and because he wasn’t sure if she even wanted to go out. A lot could change in a year. He knew that better than most, considering how different everything had been since his return.

”They said would should meet to talk about it and inspect the prison.” So far that meeting hadn’t happened, and he tried not to let his annoyance show too much. However, Loren had told both Wessex and Deimos that he was available any time, so the summoner felt they should call upon him when it was most convenient for them, considering that he was technically their subordinate. Giving the baker at sympathetic smile, Loren felt it turn sad at the thought of Ronin. The Launceleyn had seen the mad king, and it had been a terrible experience.

Instead of answering her, he nodded. Then he hesitated. ”Oh. I didn’t know Deimos could make magical items too. He uh...failed to mention it.” The other man was sparing with his words, that much was true, but they’d spoken at length about their respective magics and it would’ve been simple to bring it up. Still, no harm done. The summoner picked up the amulet, not wanting to experiment on the shield since he didn’t really know anything about it besides the fact that it had similar properties to the crystal.

Sinking into a cross-legged position and closing his eyes, Loren held the amulet in his hands. Astra’s ears perked up, having recognized the spell casting position after having seen him assume it more than once. The luxere seemed to love his magic, so she came to look over his shoulder at the crystal. For his part, he just smiled at the contact, then called up his magic.

It responded to his call, and he pictured the Spark Bird. Then the energy flowed out of him and...nothing happened. Opening an eye, he peered at the crystal, but it seemed unchanged. Opening the other eye, he glanced up at the baker. ”Well. My magic went somewhere. Dunno if there’s a Spark Bird in here or not, though.” He still wasn’t entirely clear how the magic storing items worked, so he just shrugged. ”Want me to try the shield now? And did you want another Spark Bird or something else?” Maybe putting all their eggs in one basket wasn’t the best idea, but it was the best he had at the moment.
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
We could look for him together. Honestly, Amalia doesn't get it- she hasn't exactly been friendly to Loren, letting her weariness sharpen her tongue, alternating between interested and unimpressed as he promises snippets of information before proving time and time again they are things she already knows. It is not that she thinks Loren is a bad sort, his sordid history with Remi aside, simply that he suffers from the same delusions of superiority all outlanders seem to when first encountering this world. Oh, they have brought strength and knowledge to this place to be sure, but at what cost? How many times has she heard them spout out plans and ideals without first asking if they have tried. Normally Amalia would have more patience, but it has been a long, hard year. She is tired of ideas without actual solutions.

She is tired of trying, with nothing achieved.

But somehow, Loren still wants to spend time with her. It's a puzzling thing, and her bemusement is obvious on her face as she shrugs her agreement, not meeting his eyes. "Sure. That would be... sure."

Deimos failing to mention something is entirely unsurprising, and the baker laughs fondly at Loren's comment, brightening ever at the thought of the big man. "It's fairly new, I think," she says, a smile of something close to pride tugging at her lips. There are many new things in Deimos' life, and she is always amazed by how much he accomplishes with so little fanfare or ego involved. Watching as Loren lifts the amulet, she remembers the last time it was full of power: life drain pulled from the blade of the Sword, masterful and used to bring the deadly plants crumbling. The magic it will gain today is an entirely different kind, and Amalia watches, fascinated, as Loren sets to work.

It is all so simple, in the end. The crystal appears wholly unchanged, just as it did the first time they used it. Amalia reaches out to take the rock from him, pursing her lips at his follow-up question about the shield before glancing back at the man. "What else do you have?"
she was like the moon-
part of her was always hidden away
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
loyalty makes you family
Amalia agreed to come out to feed the luxere with Loren so at least he’d accomplished that much. He flashed her a grateful smile: too often since his return his efforts had failed or been rebuffed so to have even one thing go right filled him with an inordinate amount of relief. ”Good. Uh...feel free to let me know whenever is most convenient to you and I’ll meet you out there.” Even though he felt he was running himself ragged, he definitely didn’t want to make any demands on anyone’s time. He certainly hadn’t proven himself worthy of or earned the right to do that.

Somehow Loren doubted the reason Deimos hadn’t told the summoner about the other man’s abilities was because they were new, but the Launceleyn just nodded at the baker’s statement. ”Well, if he wants to make amulets and have me store spells in them, I’d be happy to be of assistance. I’ll talk to him about it next time I see him. As I said, I’m supposed to meet with him and Wessex at some point.” There was something in the way Amalia spoke about Deimos that caused Loren to give her a curious look, but he wasn’t going to pry. He’d already wasted enough of her time already, most likely.

Scratching his head, and giving Astra a faint smile when she presented her own for scratching as well (which he obliged) Loren considered how to respond. ”As for summoning, basically any animal, either real or imagined. Mythical beasts and creatures with magic included. I also am fairly decent at healing. That’s about it, though.” It was a paltry selection when compared to most mages, but at least he was mostly over the days when he was ashamed of his incredibly limited talents.
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
"I know he'll be more than willing to help." Amalia is confident in this- Deimos is always giving, always doing, always caring for the world around them without asking for anything in return. It is one of the countless things she admires about him: his tireless ability to always care, and his stubborn humility which keeps him from recognizing how good he is and how much he does.

But now is not the time to dwell on Deimos' many virtues, as easily as such might come to the girl. Reaching out to pull Jyoti against her breast, the girl hums thoughtfully as Loren explains his abilities and the things he could place into his shield. "My staff already has healing," she muses, "But more may be useful... so perhaps that?" Biting her lip uncertainly, Amalia hopes she has not asked for too much. He has already proven strangely patient and generous, and the last thing she wants is to stretch him thin.

"Then... if you like, you could stay for dinner. Or I can pack you something to take home." Small repayment, but it is all she can offer. Information and bread and an anxious soul.
she was like the moon-
the Firebrand

Change author:
loyalty makes you family
The news about Deimos was encouraging so Loren just nodded at Amalia’s comment. He’d already explained that he’d talk to the general at their next meeting, so there didn’t seem to be much more than needed to be said on that front. When the baker asked for healing magic instead of summoning the Launceleyn smiled briefly at her. Instead of responding (vocally, at least), though, he just placed his hands upon the shield. Closing his eyes, he pictured a wound knitting itself closed under the warm sky-blue glow of his magic. Once again energy poured out of him and he let out a breath before opening his eyes. ”Hopefully that did the trick.” Performing two such powerful spells in quick succession had left him a little tired, so he unashamedly leaned on Astra a little as he stood. For her part the luxere did not at all mind the contact.

Then she invited him over for dinner and Loren gave her a surprised—though slightly pleased—glance. ”Oh. Thank you.” Biting his lip and running a hand through his hair, he looked up at the sky that he could see now that they were in the garden to check the time. Sighing, he ended up shaking his head. ”I very much appreciate the offer, but I’m afraid I’ve probably left my relatives and my houseguests unattended for too long.” He hesitated, not sure whether Amalia’s statement had been genuine or just polite courtesy. ”Maybe next time, though?” His voice came out tentatively, clearly unsure whether or not Amalia actually wanted to see him again.

Regardless he had imposed on the baker’s goodwill long enough. Making his way over to where he’d set the package, he made sure to give Jyoti one more rub on the way out of the bakery. ”Thank you again, for, well everything. And uh, I’ll see you around. And if ah you need me, send or note or come...find me.” He’d been about to say ‘come to the Manor’ but at the last moment he’d remembered her deep dislike of the place. Waving at both of them uncertainly, but cheerfully enough, he made sure Astra was all set and his cloak was wrapped firmly around himself before setting out into the cold and the snow.
LOREN
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
A graceful escape from her invitation, and Amalia cannot blame him. She extended the offer, did what she can; she nods agreement with the statement of next time, a faint and unreadable smile on her face. "Next time," the baker agrees softly, running her fingers over her shield as Jyoti looks on.

Back into the bakery they walk, and Amalia offers Astra one last handful of grain as Loren prepares to leave. His slightly bumbling gratitude has her raising a brow, her cheeks colored just a little as she rises, tucking a lock of hair behind her ear.

"Thank you," the girl replies, clearly bemused by his pressing gratitude. For what? "And... Likewise. I'm generally pretty easy to find." An awkward chuckle, a shake of her head, and she watches the mage walk out of the shop, simultaneously lonely and relieved.
she was like the moon-