[Open] Boots, belts, bags, and pelts!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Are
The stand kept growing as Longheat had turned to Leafchange, slowly gaining in clutter and size as more and more tools where added to the makeshift workbench. With it grew the few bystanders content on just watching the cobbler make use of the time between actual customers. Never had he spoken to them, the small gathering of what he hoped was farmers wanting to learn, but he knew better. The niggling doubt kept making daggers gleam in the corner of his eyes, kept insisting the one farmer's boy on the left looked a tad pale, and was he even breathing?

No, boots, belts, and bags was why he was there, not to search the crowd for enemy agents just looking for a reason to flay him. They where probably just as keen on stocking up on warmer things as everyone else, ascended or otherwise. Even a few more naturals than usual had gone by, eying his wares and after a few trips around the marketplace they usually caved. Rabbit lined boots seemed to make a killing as everyone seemed more ready to put differences aside as the cold had started to make itself known again.

And with the cold came the rain. Tiny pitter-patter on the canopy slowly grew to a noise reminiscent of a river, one flowing through forbidden woods now suddenly open again perhaps. Mockery as served by the gods themselves, taunting the worm went writhing for a permission made obsolete just a short while later. Taunting a coward who'd still not even tried at the task given to him, a task given for him. A modicum of protection in a war to come, all for a little adventure and savvy bartering.

One of the two would at least have a greater chance at completion where he was holed up. Waiting out the rain and plowing through back orders a comfortable excuse to stay away from the unknown just a few more days. "Boots, belts, bags, and pelts!" he shouted absentmindedly, not looking up from the well worn boots in dire need of a new sole. "You break it, I fix it! Don't let your favorite pair move along, I can make them like new again!" Are kept his well rehearsed pitch going in hopes of attracting someone besides those sheltering from the rain.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
there's a bulletproof bond
The young midwife found herself perusing the various stalls of the marketplace rather absentmindedly. She carried with her a basket still, with what goods she had to trade with just in case something caught her eye. At her feet walked Pim, who was about the size of a smaller herding dog now – and still growing based on his appetite. The pink dragon stiffed about, on high alert for any danger that Phoebe might be presented with. She was squishy and fangless and daddy Frey had given him to protect her – it was a very important duty.

She heard Are over the din of the marketplace, though she didn’t really register his words, lost in her own thoughts. Wide brown eyes scanned his stall briefly, glancing down at her own boots, which really were worse for wear. She could probably get another Deepfrost out of them though…maybe? Curious, Pim sniffed at the pelts, which smelled like something he could eat once upon a time, but not anymore.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Are
He glanced up from what miracles he was already carrying out with scraps well past what anyone but the owner would call a scabbard. 'Just a patch job' it had been called, but it started to turn out a full rebuild was more appropriate, it could wait though, not like a farmer was in any desperate need of going to war. He was about to greet the potential customer but his mouth was left slightly agape at yet another dragon went poking about his wares. Yet another far cry from the Fáfnir of the legends, and even less intimidating than the other one, but it still seemed to demand the same respect. If for nothing but as a gesture of good will towards the woman eying his wares.

"Heil ok sæl, what can I do you for?" Are said, greeting her with a smile that didn't quite reach the eyes. Eyes already busying themselves trying to find what exactly could catch her interest. Warrior was all glorious and well, but a tradesman, and a savvy one at that, was far more likely to bring home bread. Far more likely to come home at all for that matter. "Perhaps a pair of lined boots, it's rabbit you see, softest in the lands!" he said and held up a pair of sturdy turnshoes adorned with brown mottled fur and seams so tight they almost disappeared into the leather.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Oh yes, Pim definitely demanded the same respect as his much larger mythical kin. He had been about to scramble up onto the table to sniff about more when the man greeted Phoebe rather loudly. The little pink dragon snarled, growling at him as viciously as he could, wings flaring out. "Pim! Be nice!" Phoebe snapped at him, making the little dragon settle but grumble with discontent. "Sorry, he is a bit hypervigilant." she said to the man.

"Uhm..." she hummed looking at the turnshoes, then down at her own boots, which were of a drastically different style. "Those are very nice but...I think if I were to replace these I would need something more like them." she said. Sure her boots were ratty and worn, but they still seemed sturdier than the turnshoes. Sturdy was what she needed too, given how often she went foraging for things in the woods.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
The furious little creature, as strangely adorable as it was, still had Are keeping his fingers well behind the counter. No need to get gnawed on over a few pelts. He even started to consider how to best distract the trouble maker, maybe with a scrap piece of tasty leather could had done the trick. Thankfully the time to enact any hastily put together plan never came as the pink menace calmed down after a stern talking to.

Focus quickly changed to more familiar matters as he followed Phoebe's gaze down at the boots that was in dire need of some looking after. "Lasted." Are remarked, trying to hide his disdain for the new-fangled cordwaining he'd become increasingly familiar with. Stiff, heavy, and remarkably laborious to work with, it wasn't with a smile on his face he got stuck in fixing lasted shoes and boots, but it was worth it for the experience alone.

Begrudgingly his look switched from conservative to craftsman, pondering the amount of work it would take, but stopping himself before he got too far ahead of things. "Not my usual thing, but I'm a cobbler first after all. It could take a while, but not more than a day or two, depending on the damage." he said and stroked his chin, already summing up the hours and materials needed to at least form a tentative grasp on the cost.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
These boots were...worse for wear to put it nicely. The outside leather was clearly scratched up and discolored, bits of the thread adhering the sole to the rest of the shoe beginning to unravel. The sole's themselves were completely without tread, worn away so it was nearly nonexistent, save for the heel which had more material to it. The soft, rabbit fur lining inside was worn in many places all the way down to the layer intended to keep moisture from seeping into the shoe. The laces were also quite sad, showing signs of self-repair where Phoebe had darned pieces back together with a deft hand. Clearly, when first made, they were quite a nice, sturdy pair and served the midwife well. But could they be repaired? Or were they past the point of no return?

"Do you really think these can be fixed?" Phoebe said, eyeing them skeptically. She glanced through her basket of goods, wondering whether it would be more costly to fix them than simply trying to find a new pair...and wondering if she had anything of enough value to pay for such labor. She tried to be thrifty but the young blonde was well aware that an investment in a good pair of boots could be well worth it.

As Are examined the boots, Pim examined Are, sniffing at the air near the cobbler.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Doubt started to creep into his mind, cocksure as the salesmen tried to sound it was a valid question. Although what he thought was less of a worry than the time it would take and if it wasn't just a waste of time better spent elsewhere. A fresh pair would probably run her less than the labor and materials needed to fix up the boots, yet it was a challenge tickling his fancy in a particular way. A chance to do a deep foray into a branch of his craft he'd only dipped his toe in with discarded pairs of the same construction. What little he knew at least meant he would have somewhere to start, disassembly and taking stock of the work need doing. None of it would happen overnight though.

"I have no doubt!" he said and flashed a smile, mustering up a little bravado as given by a trust of his own skills in the one thing he knew. "What little life there's left in them I'll rekindle. They'll be seeing at least a dozen seasons before they'd need any more work, as long as you make sure to give them a little love now and then." he continued, gesturing as he spoke and drifting off as he started going through what he knew of welted shoes and even pondering if there wouldn't be a book or two in the Atheneum that could have some tips to get him up to speed. It was after all not the first time he'd seen shoes like hers, nor would it be the last, and the promise of bragging rights was enough to get him set on the idea.

"You know what, I'd even borrow you a loner pair til it's done. Seems fair what with leaving such prized possessions with a stranger, no?" he said, almost leaning in before realizing the little dragon was well within snapping range and he still wasn't sure Phoebe had it under control.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
The young blonde was clearly shocked by the man’s offer, eyes widening with surprise. She glanced down at her worn and tattered boots again, amazed that anything could be done with them at all besides throwing them into the scrap pile. ”Well, if they can be fixed, that would be wonderful!” she said with a warm smile, happy to hear that they weren’t ridiculously beyond saving.

The offer of a loner pair surprised her too. ”That would be very kind of you.” she said with a grin. Quickly she looked through her basket, trying to figure out what she might offer him in trade. ”I’m a midwife by trade, but I also make a variety of medicines and such. Would anything like that interest you?” she asked, hoping it would do.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
He pretended to ponder the emerging deal, brow furrowed deeply and long fingers stroking his stubbly chin. Very well aware that keeping on the good side of any would be healer was in his very best interest, especially if he meant to keep stumbling down the perilous path of a powerful paladin, well, would be powerful. Right then and there he was still just a cobbler, just the cobbler even.

Midwife was good, apothecary even better, hopefully a few services owed could keep him out of the infirmary and out of Ludo's loving embrace for just a little longer. Not that he didn't know to be careful, just that the 'when' oftentimes escaped him.

"Let's call it a service owed then, if I know the color of my character I'd probably be needing a few remedies sooner rather than later." he said with a smile and a nod. "I get your boots back in shape and you do the same for me down the line?" Are cocked an eyebrow and laughed a little at his own joke.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe's eyebrows rose in surprise at his suggestion. A service owed? Frankly that was a much easier trade for to make than trying the right combination of herbal remedies that would equal a good payment for whatever work and materials he needed to put into her boots. "Oh! Yes, that would be perfect thank you." she said with a warm smile. What luck!

"My name is Phoebe Steadman, my clinic is in the domiciles, and I run the Medical College as well." Phoebe said with a smile, giving him the information he would need to find her when he wanted to cash in that owed medical assitance. "What's your name?" she asked, planning to make note of it so she would remember.
between me and you

Coding base by Sky!
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Change author:

Are
Great, a shrewd businessman indeed. Debt was far more useful to Are than most other goods, especially from someone knowledgeable in something he seemed to need far too often. Not the sewing part though, that he could manage, although none of the bags he'd been stitching had managed to become quite as gangrenous as his poor leg had.

Clinic. Sounded important, official, exactly like something he was more than happy to be owed a solid from. Steadman, though, that was a family name he actually knew, and it made him a touch uncomfortable knowing he might've gone a touch sly on one of Roana's relatives. Although, by then it was just another thing to add to the pile of things that drove a wedge between them, and a pretty light one at that, when compared to the whole god ordered genocide business.

"Are, son of Jorm. If I'm not here I'm back home, right up the hill." he said and pointed in the rough direction of his workshop and home.