Amber Waves
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
"Did you ever consider what a chicken thinks?" Jigano asked after a brief pause of his own to organize his thoughts. He thought back to his interactions with Ludo and Safrin, to what he had read in Safrin's Books and what he had learned from Amalia. "About anything at all, really, but about humans in particular?" He chuckled softly, though he couldn't glance at Granger where he sat on the bard's shoulder. "How powerful we must seem to them! How strange and inscrutable. We move through their world like giants, we can make food fall from the sky, or move them into shelter from the rain and snow that they never even realized we spent time building for them. For them it just appears like magic - or a miracle. And we hold the power of life and death over them, to maim or heal, to help or hurt."

He adjusted his hat against the sun, making sure to keep the mouse in its shade as well as he walked to the west with purposeful strides, unless and until Granger directed him differently. "But we aren't always there for them, are we? Sometimes they see us, but often they don't. We're near their lives, and we take care of them, but we also have other things that require our attention. Crops to tend, other animals to care for, families to feed and clean and sew for, houses to build, and times when we need to rest. Sometimes we're so busy with other things that we don't notice when a chicken is sick or injured, and it dies before we can intervene. Sometimes we're asleep or doing some other task when a fox attacks and kills some of the chickens, and by the time we get back it's too late. Sometimes we know a chicken is hurt or sick, but so is the pig, or there's been a flood or a plague on the crops, and though we might feel bad about it we have to leave the chicken to live or die on its own while we deal with the larger problem - a problem the chickens will never see and never realize exists."

He felt his lips quirk into a faint smile and gave a slight shake of his head. "Obviously people aren't chickens, and gods aren't farmers. I warned you it wasn't a perfect analogy. But think of the scale of it, rather than the specifics. What we are to chickens, that's what gods are to us. A chicken can see a human and knows some of what that human does for them, especially when it impacts their life directly, but there is so much more going on in that human's life and world than the chicken can ever really know or understand. So it is with gods and humans. They take care of us, and they see far more of the world, of existence, than we can ever comprehend, but often they leave us to our own lives, and sometimes... sometimes bad things happen and for their own reasons they can't or won't help us, and we don't understand why. But that doesn't mean their reason isn't good, just because we can't see it."

It was a lot, he knew, for a grown man to take in, much less a young boy, but Granger had been forced to grow up far too fast and he was older than his age might indicate in the experiences he had lived compared to other children his age. He was bright and quick enough to survive, and Jigano hoped that his words might make some sense to the youngster - if not now, then later in his life.
Granger Luch
Nurse Aide

Age: 23 | Height: 5'4 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 0 - Strg: 7 - Dext: 15 - Endr: 5 - Luck: 3 - Int:
Played by: Dyn Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Granger had never taken the time to think about what a chicken thought. Did it think? He remembers crouching in the coop on cold mornings to gather eggs and spread the feed, but not once during that time did he consider what the chickens thought of him. Following Jigano's analogy to a point, they were rather bold creatures for pecking his bare feet on Summer days when the sun warmed the soil and the temper of irate farm animals.

He didn't want to admit that most of what he was being told went right over his head without making much sense so he did what any good kid should do and nodded right along to feign understanding. The gist of it made enough sense that Granger didn't feel too bad that Jigano had wasted his time trying to explain the way that the gods worked. Even if Granger was still convinced the gods of all things should be able to look after their flock.

Regardless of his thoughts, he squeaked to catch Jigano's attention as they approached the base of a large tree, one that stood apart from the deciduous flora around them and retained its leaves in the face of the oncoming cold.  

I 'unno if I agree with that but we're here 'nyway. Without care for the height from Jigano's shoulder to the ground he leaped off in his field mouse form only to land crouched on the ground at the foot of the tree, as a boy once more.

"I tried to give 'em a nice place to rest at least. Hey, mom, papa, I brought a friend." The ground over the crude graves has long since grown over with hardly a sign to show that something so important laid there at their feet. Granger remained crouched as he ran his fingers through the dirt, lips pulled into a tight smile. "He helped me get here this year. I think... I think you'd like him. Remember our old dog? Kinda dirty but still good."

Granger shot a look back to Jigano before continuing. "He's kinda like that."

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 5225
Jigano grinned at hearing that Granger didn't agree with him. Theological differences - and disagreements - had spanned millennia of human history on his world, and here he was trying to apply his understanding of the gods to a world he barely lived in for a year. He was bound to get some things wrong, and to have people disagree with him. He couldn't prove that he was right in either case; it was all guesses and hypotheses from what he'd seen of the world so far, but perhaps others had seen different things, or interpreted them differently.

Either way, it had passed the time while they walked, and now Jigano joined Granger in crouching before the tree, his smile fading to solemn respect. He stayed back a little ways from the lad, letting him greet his parents' ghosts (even if their spirits were hopefully safe in Mort's embrace by now, long since gone to their reward in the afterlife). At being compared to an old dog the bard couldn't help but chuckle, though, nodding to the grave with a smile. "I've been called worse," he admitted cheerfully. "Nothing wrong with a good dog. I suppose I'll have to find a stream to rinse off in after this to get rid of the dirty part, though." Or a horse trough. Or, better yet, a bucket of hot water in front of the kitchen fire at the farm. The water outside was getting a bit chilly for bathing al fresco.

"You taught him well enough that he's survived this long," he said more gravely, speaking to the faint, fading outlines of the graves. "That's no small thing. But he's tough and smart and I think you'd be proud of him." He paused, then looked to Granger with kindness softening the edges of his eyes. "What names should I call them?" he asked gently.