Turning Over a New Leafchange
For Cera
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
PHOEBE
Phoebe needed a fresh start. To refresh and begin anew. A lot had happened in the last year and it made everything feel heavy and burdensome. But today she was turning over a new leaf! She needed to be positive and focus on her and make sure she felt she was in a good place! So she decided to start that with some good old fashioned Leafchange cleaning.

Now, when the midwife did a deep clean of her clinic and her living space, she did a deep clean. Furniture was tugged out onto the porch – things were shaken or beaten or scrubbed or a combination of the two and left to air out in the nice fall breeze. Inside the floors were swept, scrubbed, and polished – the walls and ceilings too to an extent. The fireplaces were cleaned and chimney’s swept, drapes and windows were washed – pretty much if it resided within the building it was cleaned until it shone like brand new. Even Frey’s little shrine got dusted and polished. Not only that, she decluttered. Some things were set aside to trade away, others were simply unneeded and worthless and put in the trash heap.

Of course then she had to tug everything back in and put in its place. It was a full day sort of effort but in the end, she looked around and felt as though it was all fresh. Just what she needed. To celebrate, she popped a few cinnamon rolls in the oven to bake – who said you couldn’t have cinnamon rolls for supper? – and threw her hair up in a messy bun atop her head. She lit some calming incense and began brewing some chai-like tea and plopped down on one of her overstuffed couches, curling up with Pim and a book to relax, at ease for the first time in what felt like ages.
I look up to the little bird
The flies across the sky
And I, I wish that I could be that bird
And fly away from here
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Age: 29 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
-CERA-

In the flowing rivers of information gleaned and whittled from the suspicious townspeople, certain names and places glint like precious stones beneath shifting water. Clinics, guilds, shops...all categorized and neatly filed away in Cera's mind to be referred to at a later date. Until one such later date sneaks upon him, his boredom of the outskirt woods and his own simplistic lifestyle renewing his thirst for companionship and action.

Today he has chosen to tread upon two feet, rubbing chilled arms idly as he traverses the well-worn walkways. He has a goal, though it is vague and shapeless in its simplicity. The days he'd spent as a forger in his past life would not be remiss in this new one, but there was an ache near his heart where an empty bond lay that reminded him of other traits and skills. The times he could not protect his family with his own body and weaponry, when their hurts were merely something he had to witness and agonize over until someone else came to their aid.

Ilaria...it is hard to think of her name, but she had been the one blessed with the art of healing. He had envied her in many ways for her ability, and with the new start he had been awarded, Cera vowed to honor her memory by pursuing such arts.

That is how he ends up here, in front of a clinic...house...thing? Cera is far too much a creature of the woods and wilds to know the whys and hows of human construction. Still, he tries, and he learns more every day he spends in Caido. As he walks up to the door, tantalizing smells waft from within, and his stomach rumbles in betrayal. It brings a flush of embarrassment to his cheeks, but he lifts his hand to knock either way. Hopefully whoever was inside, as the name had not been passed on, would be able to help him start his life anew.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe startled a bit, looking up when she heard the knock. In an instant Pim was snarling, wings flared and putting himself between Phoebe and the door. "Oh, Pim stop, people are allowed to visit...coming!!" she chided her companion before calling out. She set her tea and book down on the little coffee table and hurried to the door.

Well, a man on her doorstep - especially one without a child looking rather relaxed in particular - was an unusual sight. But she smiled warmly regardless. "Hello there, can I help you?" she said, her voice even and soothing to the ear. She assumed this had something to do with her practice so she went right into work mode. Pim stood behind her, eyeing the man with suspicion and sniffing at the air.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Age: 29 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
-CERA-

A soft, feminine voice floats through the door, and Cera waits patiently as he hears footsteps cross the floor. For a moment he doubts himself, wondering what kind of personality would be opening the door. Were there certain hours to this clinic? What if he was here and imposing? The thought of being so blatantly rude makes him blanch, but he's swiftly distracted from his anxieties when the door swings open to reveal a fair-haired maiden with warm eyes. Cera smiles instinctively, for he is scarcely without one, and hopes he does not look so out of place on her doorstep.

For a moment he is distracted by the dragon at her side, if only because his heart still aches with the loss of his own companion, but he swallows down that familiar pain and focuses on speaking with the beautiful girl before him instead. He was here to honor said companion after all, distraction would do him no good.

"Hello," he speaks primly, perhaps a tad shyly as a self-conscious smile lilts charmingly sideways across his lips. "I'm sorry for the intrusion, I was told I could find information about a healer here? My name is Cera," he clarifies, hoping to offer his own name to perhaps be rewarded her own. "I was interested in establishing with someone to assist them in their efforts. Would you know anything about that?" Hopeful verdant eyes flicker between Phoebe's, holding to his glimmer of faith in his breast that he is in the right place.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Hello." she replied chipperly, a warm smile still curving her lips. Phoebe could spot nervousness and anxiety a mile away - dealing with expecting mothers all the time meant she had seen every sign in the book - and so kept her demeanor warm and welcoming. Pim on the other hand snarled, as if warning the fellow that one wrong move would result in his demise. The blonde shot her dragon friend a short glare, and the little pink reptile ducked his head with a grumble. "It's good to meet you, Cera. I'm Phoebe. Don't mind Pim here, he is just a bit overprotective." she said to assure the fellow he was in no immediate danger.

Hearing out his request her smile brightened. Finally, someone who wanted to learn and expand the knowledge of medicine! "I am the healer actually, why don't you come in and we can chat?" she said, stepping aside so he could do so. "I'm a midwife by trade, but I am also Dean of the Medical College of Caido. Do you have experience as a healer or are you looking to study a discipline?" she asked, closing the door.

"Would you like some tea?" she asked, ever hospitable, even when someone came to ask something of her.
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Change author:
-CERA-

The warmth suffused across the beautiful girl's tone and expression is enough to melt the rigidity in Cera's posture, tension bleeding away. Her dragon's growling is only spared a kindly smile, far too used to protective and pissed off companions from his homeland to feel offended or intimidated. He knew the intimacy and devotion of a bond, and would not judge the little reptile for taking its protective duties so seriously.

"A pleasure, miss Phoebe," he responds warmly, wishing he knew the extent of the physicality of this world. "He is well in his rights to be suspicious, I don't mind." His own companion in the past had been just as bad, though infinitely sneakier about her dislike of others. She'd always been particularly catty around anyone he had a fancy for, or who fancied him in return.

Cera honestly didn't expect to immediately find the woman he needed so swiftly, so he's taken off guard when she immediately invites him inside, assuring him she's the one he seeks. "O-Oh! Yes, that would be great," he laughs somewhat awkwardly, following her lead and crossing the threshold. Having spent so long in the wilderness, his skin itches to be closed off from the sky, and his spine aches with a longing he can't explain to others. A desire to fly once more. But he focuses on Phoebe and her companion, keeping his small smile firmly affixed to avoid such dour thoughts.

"I have experience with a few different fields and utilities of healing, though nothing so important as midwifery," the golden boy responds with a shy grin, teasingly complimenting her. "I was more of a field medic, trained in delaying the most severe of injuries and patching the minor when the majorly wounded were tended to. However, in my travels I've also become well-versed in herbalism, and find great joy in experimenting with local varieties to make poultices and such." It's all said quite humbly; he'd never requested his work be held aloft in some grand gesture of appreciation. Cera had only ever cared - from the very beginning, as the adopted son of a General whose return was never guaranteed - that his people returned home from the war.

"Tea would be lovely, thank you miss Phoebe," he murmurs, mulling over her previous words as she mills about. "You mentioned a medical college?" Perhaps that's where he would end up, as surely women would not want him midwifing no matter how loose his gender. It almost prompted a laugh out of him at the image, but he quickly smothered it for the sake of propriety.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Pim’s growl turned into a ‘harrumph’ sort of noise, looking at Phoebe smugly when even this new fellow defended his right to growl away. This was his territory! She was his human! And daddy Frey sent him to protect! Phoebe stuck her tongue out in a childishly playful manner at the dragonling. ”You’re lucky he knows his manners, Pim.” she quipped at him, moving to the stove to fetch Cera some tea. ”Please, make yourself at home!” Phoebe said, smiling at Cera.

She listened quietly as he listed off his skills, giving him a little grin at his compliment of her specialty. With graceful steps she brought his cup of tea to him, wherever he had chosen to set himself in the living room-like clinic. The tea smelled and tasted of warm spices and infused with herbs to give it a calming effect when consumed. ”I am knowledgeable in herbal remedies as well. It comes in handy in a profession where people tend to me nauseous and uncomfortable most of the time.” she said with a light laugh as she sat across from him, gesturing to the large cabinet filled with jars of prepped herbs, roots, flowers, and other plants she could make use of.

”Yes, the Medical College of Caido. Currently we are more research oriented than teaching, looking for ways to bring our collective knowledge together in the pursuit of more reliable and successful techniques and medicines.” Phoebe said with a smile. ”We are still fairly new so we don’t have many members, but someone with your skillset would surely be an asset.”
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Change author:
-CERA-

It's both a comfort to his soul and a bitterness on his tongue to see the young bond between Phoebe and Pim, their dynamics refreshing and familiar in equal measures. He smiles warmly at the pair as he follows Phoebe's instruction to make himself comfortable, sitting opposite her as she kindly offers the tea she had been steeping. With a murmurs of thanks he huffs on it gently before taking a sip, letting it wash away the lingering chill of the day.

Green eyes flit to the cabinet she gestures to, lighting up at the prolific display. His fingers twitch against the cup with the desire to go to it, inspect each jar and inquire as to the properties of the materials within. Instead he bites his tongue and waits patiently for more information, not wanting to seem rude in what was in many ways her home.

"The wonders of nature and their abilities when combined can't be overstated enough," he agrees with a smile that quickly turns into a grin. "Though they can often taste rather unpleasant." Not that many people complained once the effects kicked in, but it was definitely awful in the moment.

A flush takes over Cera's face as he smiles shyly at her invitation and faith in his abilities. "I was a student of many things in the past. Though medical research was not one of my subjects I'd happily lend my mind to the efforts you're leading. Is there a position for healing those in the Settlement? Perhaps I could help lead small groups in learning how to heal minor wounds if they're stuck somewhere without help?" Already he is mumbling a little, excited at the prospect of having a solid goal once more. "Wherever I can best assist you, I'll follow your lead," Cera vows to the golden haired girl, gaze level and fierce.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
"Peppermint is my answer to that." Phoebe said with a soft smile as Cera noted the bitter taste most medicines had. "Besides tasting lovely, it can help settle an upset stomach, so if any of the other ingredients cause that, it helps balance the medicine overall." It was a little adjustment, but it worked wonders in her experience.

"Absolutely there is!" she said brightly. "As of late, I've also been overseeing the Infirmary, which is right next to the College. I would gladly welcome your assistance in keeping that staffed and stocked, and such learning clinics would be wonderful to host! The College has a lecture hall just for that purpose." she said with a grin. How refreshing it was to find the soul of a fellow healer, so readily willing to assist and spread knowledge!

"Well, I would love for you to join the College, and assist in all the ways mentioned." she said happily. "You'd be a valuable asset for us and the rest of the Grounds."
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Change author:
-CERA-

Cera hums thoughtfully at the new idea, murmuring softly to himself but still loud enough for Phoebe to hear. "It's a great idea, but I wonder if it reacts negatively with other ingredients? It's used for tea often so I can't see it harming the body directly aside from allergies, but chemically..." he shakes himself from the quiet rambling and smiles shyly at Phoebe. This isn't the most advanced civilization he'd been to in his realm hopping, but he is certainly no expert and scientific advancement had been at the cost of magic. It hadn't been an exchange Cera had desired in his time there.

His smile widens and grows warmer at the offering she provides, and his fingers spasm happily around the cup in his hand. "Yes! I would be more than happy to assist in the Infirmary. I'm sure it would be a good entryway to getting to know the people of this realm, especially if I expect them to listen to my lectures," he laughs, tucking his hair back behind his ear and taking another sip of the pleasant brew. Newcomers offering foreign knowledge was not often well received in his experience. Especially when it came to healing arts. In some ways healing was more faith and culturally based, and deeply intertwined with the way people lived their lives.

"Is there anything I have to do to become part of the College? Any tasks I should put my kind to that can help more pressing matters?" Cera asks it earnestly, wanting to be of help in as many ways as she'd have him fulfill. It's what Ilaria would have wanted, and a sense of peace falls over him to think that.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
PHOEBE
Phoebe smiled at his pondering about the effects of peppermint in relation to other medicinal herbs in her concoctions. "It does interact with the other herbs, depending on the form of peppermint included. Peppermint oil, which is highly concentrated can exacerbate a lot of illnesses if ingested and can actually cause menstruation so should never be taken by a pregnant woman unless labor is being induced or as an additive to cause a planned miscarriage." she explained. "But it can be applied to the skin or put in a boiling pot of water to scent the air for aroma therapy without those problems. When including it in medicines, I strictly use peppermint leaves, not the oil. It isn't as concentrated as the oil, and even when steeped long enough to give flavor is not potent enough in the dose sizes to have those sorts of side effects unless someone is specifically sensitive to it."

Clearly, when it came to peppermint at least, Phoebe knew her stuff, advanced technology or not.

"Wonderful! I am so glad for your help. Why don't we meet there tomorrow and I can give you a little tour of that and the College?" Phoebe offered with a warm, chipper smile. "To join? Well you simply have to ask, and I believe in a sort of round about way you have!" she said with a light laugh, folding her hands on her lap. "I will add you to the formal registry tomorrow. As far as what you might put your mind to, any sort of implements that you can think of that would aid medical advancement would be great."
The flies across the sky
And fly away from here