hang my head low
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
"Come on. We're going on a walk."

Thus unceremoniously had Amalia compelled Adam into the woods, her firm voice leaving no room for refusal, her fingers tight around his wrist. It had been some time since they trapped the golem beneath his house, longer since she stole the horn, and the baker had been hopeful that her friend might visit, his mood and outlook generally improved. But when time continued to pass without sign of him the girl grew uneasy, anxious, and a little hurt.

So she went in search of the self-proclaimed thief, her staff in one hand, a lantern in the other, and dragged him back to the woods. Truthfully, she has an ulterior motive for wanting a friend on this particular trip. Deimos had told her of Emmett's loss, and the girl had taken it hard, unprepared to deal with more hardship in a time already strained and dark. To hang a lantern in Ludo's woods seemed the least Amalia could do.

But she did not want to do it alone.

They reach the edge of the woods by midday, the distinct redness of the trees marking their arrival within the sacred grove. Sighing lightly, Amalia eases her pack off her shoulders, setting it at the base of a pine before producing two large ham and cheese rolls. "Hungry?" the baker asks of Adam, passing him one of the snacks before settling down onto the grass. "So. How's the new house?"
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 5 - Strg: 17 - Dext: 19 - Endr: 17 - Luck: 12 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Mature Content Warning 
Adam
It starts with a teaspoon of trouble - It ends in bliss and penury
There is no pension plan for heroes - So you'll want to get the hell out of my way

Amalia had shown up on a rare evening where Adam was sober. He'd spent the day in his house, mostly messing about with the various bits of fabric and stolen things that counted as decor and thinking over ways to ask Peter over again. How soon was too soon to ask over a guy you had sex with that you definitely only wanted to have sex with?

The visit was a welcome respite from beating himself up over how he felt about the stupid scarred-up idiot. Even if he was going into some creepy woods to hang up a light for a guy he'd never heard of.

He liked Amalia, anyway. She was real, in a way a lot of people weren't, and she also wouldn't put up with his bullshit. As much as Adam would pout and pretend it bothered him, he respected it when someone clearly could see through his facade, as long as they played along.

"Oh hell yeah." He responded to the offer of the roll, taking it and flopping down to eat, offering a ripped off chunk to Coffee, who happily took it and rolled on his back, playing with it before eating. "S'okay. Better now that there isn't a golem in it. I'm liking having a bed to sleep in...and do other stuff in. Had Peter over the other day." He wiggled his eyebrows.

"Speaking of that kinda thing, you still haven't told me who your mystery man is."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
She grins as Coffee plays with the piece of bread, watching Jyoti swim over to investigate the larger companion, trilling playfully at the young dragon. The starwhale has never expressed much interest in food - when pressed by Amalia, she's tried to explain a complicated system of starlight and cosmic energy filtered through dreams and silver skin. But it does not mean she isn't interested in the concept, the smell, and most of all, in play.

Turning back to Adam, the girl arches a tawny brow at the implication clearly made, her cheeks blooming a little pink. "Oh? How'd that happen?" she prods, remembering the quiet, dark haired boy, a little surprised but not disapproving. Mockingly rueful, she shakes her head, trying to affect a disappointed look. "Does this mean I've lost my chance, then? And I was finally starting to warm to the idea."

If the baker flushed at the light flirtation, she colors crimson at his follow-up. "Ah.." she falters, pushing back a lock of hair, a charming smile lighting her expressive olive face as she thinks of her stalwart lover. "His name is Deimos. He, ah, he was one of the ones who came for us, when we were in the pit. The, uh, the quiet one." Has she ever really talked about it, about them, the thing they've been building since Fiat Lux? There's been so many other things to focus on, so many bigger issues in her mind. It is nice, she thinks, to sit with a friend and gossip about life.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Age: 36 | Height: 6'3" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Adam
There is no pension plan for heroes - So you'll want to get the hell out of my way

Coffee, territorial of his food, watched Jyoti carefully - Adam looked over too, and once he realised the whale was not coming for the snack (what did...uh..mini..flying...fish...things...eat anyway?) he mentally told Coffee to calm down, that it would be alright; in addition he laid a hand on the cool scales on the dragon's back.

"Well uh..we've kinda been hanging out and stuff, and when we were talking...turns out we're from the same place. At different times, we think, but it's the same place. And I think he's kinda cute or whatever, and he came over and asked me to kiss him...it went a bit further." Adam laughed, though there was actually clear affection in his voice and eyes, in the way he looked down at the grass and smiled, picking at it almost as if embarrassed.

He was still himself, though. "Oh, no. It's open season at the Adam bed. Come on in, any time you want, and I'll come--well, maybe you get it without me saying that." He laughed, the sound dumb and ending in a snort, at his own bad joke.

Adam had to go mentally through the list of people who had been at the Pit until he worked out who Amalia meant, not knowing who 'the quiet one' was right away. "Ooooohh, the big guy! You like 'em muscly, huh? Has he got a personality, then? I always find big tough guys are really fucking boring...I hope he's decent. You deserve that." His genuineness was somewhat undercut by the heavy chomp of his sandwich and chewing.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She tilts her head as he talks about Peter, pleasantly entranced by the clear affection in his face and voice, even as she blushes at the mention of a bit further. "I'm happy for you," she says sincerely, biting into her roll. "You deserve happiness." It is good to see these snippets of sunbeams peeking through the trees, lighting up the darkness that threatens to swallow them all.

And of course he is still Adam, making her laugh with his strange, easy flirtation, her expression wry but not unamused. "Maybe I'll take you up on that. You were the first man to sleep in mine- it only seems fair." First, but no longer only, and the baker's smile warms.

It is her turn to look down, tearing off pieces of her roll, a shy grin splitting her lips. "I like... him." Truthfully Deimos is far from what she would have thought her 'type' to be, yet he is the only person she has ever wanted the way she does.  His comment about personality makes her laugh, her eyebrow raising as she turns back to Adam. "And skinny guys are always trying to compensate- but no, he's... He's funny. And sweet. And brave, and generous, and he takes good care of me, and I..."

Shaking her bead, she trails off, black eyes soft as they stare into the trees. "I do not deserve him. But I try."
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:
Adam

"Uh--well--thanks, but.." Adam laughed awkwardly. He was not good at being genuine, at committing seriously to anything. It all had to be a joke, because then when it inevitably crashed it could be laughed off. "We aren't like, together or anything. We're just getting on and fucki-- and uh, he comes over sometimes." He corrected his language with a tight smile at her.

While he was sure she would never actually come over (Amalia was far too nice for a guy like him) he winked. "Any time, babs."

"I haven't got anything to compensate for." He automatically insisted, fully aware that saying that made it sound like he absolutely did. Still, he couldn't focus on his own dick size forever (just most of the time), not when Amalia was doubting herself. He couldn't have his friends doing that.

"Hey, nah." He leaned forward to touch her knee. "You're pretty as all get out, smart, can bake with the best of them and you're real nice. If anything, uh...D...Deimos, you said? Should know how lucky he is. I bet he does. If he doesn't I'll go piss on him." Less-than-serious insult said he smiled and leaned back against the tree, finishing off his sandwich.

"Tell me about the guy we're doing the lantern thing for, then."
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"Sure, Adam, whatever you say." If her tone of voice is not enough to convey how little she believes his nonchalance, her grin will certainly give her away. "I wonder what he would say, if I told him that. Maybe I should invite him to the bakery..." In her mind, conversations and expectations are the most important part of this sort of thing. And for all her teasing, for all her playful mischief, Amalia at her core is most concerned with keeping Adam from getting hurt.

The blush that rises when he calls her babs is less in response to the flirting and more from happiness at having an (albeit unexpected) friend. And when he leaps to her defense her color only deepens, a bemused expression crossing her face, her eyebrows drawn in puzzlement. Unaccustomed to outbursts of praise, she does not know what to do with the compliments, biting her lip and looking bewilderedly into the crimson trees. It isn't until the threat to piss on him that Amalia finally bursts out laughing, turning back to stare at Adam, an eyebrow raised dubiously as she regards his skinny form. "That would be something to see."

The conversation returns to more serious topics, and the baker's expression darkens as she looks back at the lantern, worrying her lip with a heavy sigh. "His name was Emmett. He was..." A Natural? A farmer? A brother? A child? The truth is, Amalia did not know Emmett particularly well- not as well as she would have liked.

Not as well as he deserved.

"He was a friend," she settles on at last, "And he was kind, and brave. This past year... it wasn't kind to him. I wish... I wish there had been more I could do." She sighs, pulling her knees to her chest and lying her head upon them. "It's not much, but I wanted to light a lantern for him here, in Ludo's woods. To help him find his way to Mort."
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:
Adam

"Um, well, you don't gotta tell him any of that.." Adam mumbled, sudden panic he didn't understand in his chest at the thought of Pet hearing his words. He wasn't used to having people care about his love life; usually his friends had just rolled their eyes and said another one? when he announced he'd spent the night with someone new.

His threat had been jokey, but the intention behind it was real enough. "Yeah, well tell him he'd better look after you right, or Adam's coming."

Emmett. He didn't know the name, but he supposed that wasn't surprising. He didn't know most of the people in Caido. So he couldn't join in on her grief, but he could at least ask questions. "Is that...how it works, then? They need the lanterns to get to...Mort? That's the death one, isn't it. Can..people not get to them without the lights?" Suddenly, he worried that no one would put out a lantern for him.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia's smile only widens as Adam objects to her threat of gossip, her dark eyes glittering with fond mischief and cheshire wiles. An ambiguous shrug is all she replies with, and a mental note to find Peter at some point and see if the boy would tell her more. Perhaps not one to threaten to piss on an errant lover, Amalia is no less protective of her friends: if Peter is playing with Adam's emotions he will meet the sharp end of a leopard's claws.

She does not say that to Adam, though. Instead she speaks of Emmett, her expression fading and growing severe as she thinks of the young man's loss, his life cut short by a freak accident before he could see the world. Fidgeting with the whale who has settled in her lap, Amalia leans back against a tree, her expression thoughtful and withdrawn, her mind drifting far away.

She almost misses Adam's question: "Hmm?" the baker questions softly, turning black eyes back to him. "Um... well, Ludo gathers souls for Mort. The lanterns help guide them to Ludo. They can get to it without them, but the lights help. And some still don't make it." The memory of lost souls at Long Night sends a shiver down her spine, and the baker sighs and shakes her head before rising to her feet.

"Come on. Let's find a good place to hang this. And- keep an eye out for cats."
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:
Adam

Still didn't make it..? Adam frowned, not saying his thoughts for fear of offending Amalia (which if anything, showed how much he liked her. He usually did not give a shit for the sake of anyones offense) but he immediately was thinking that a death God that couldn't even collect all the souls of the dead must be pretty crap. That was like, the job, wasn't it?

He stood up along with her. "Cats...? Are they good or bad for this?" As far as traditions and divine lore went in Caido, he was still pretty lost. "And....do y'get to know if someone's soul made it through? Or do you just gotta hope for it?" Had anyone actually known it to happen...? In his experience, a lot of beliefs stayed that way because not much happened to disprove them, not prove them.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
"Bad." Picking up her staff and the lantern, Amalia leaves her pack for now. Jyoti coos as they begin to step further into the woods, the red of the luxere antlers matching the crimson trees. "Ludo said the cat sith stops souls from getting to it. It seemed... It doesn't like it very much." An understatement; Amalia's fingers clench uneasily as she remembers the soul guide's dislike.

Turning to Adam, the girl is thoughtful a moment before replying. "I guess you could ask Ludo. Most make it. I helped guide some, after this year's Long Night." She remembers them all, faces familiar and strange. The Palmers- and her heart again aches for Emmett, another loss she could not prevent.

At last Amalia draws to a stop, apparently content with the tree they've found. "What do you think of here?" A long, low limb stretches down and out, a little too high for either of them to reach. Standing on tiptoes the girl extends her arms only to determine it is still too high; she settles back on her heels, biting her lip, before glancing to see if Adam has an idea.
Adam Pikely
Smuggler's Liaison

Change author:
Adam

"Cat sith. Right. Got it."

Adam had not gotten it at all, but he feared asking too much might make him look stupid, so he just tried to look understanding and thoughtful, as if considering something he completely knew about.

She spoke of helping ghosts so casually he had no choice but to believe her. "Do they... talk to you? Sounds kinda creepy."

Adam could not see a reason for the choice of tree over any others, but he was beginning to get a little bummed out by these woods apparently teeming with the dead, sp he nodded. "I think it's fine. High up and stuff."

So high up, apparently, that Amalia couldn't reach. Adam held out a hand for the lantern then made a clicking sound with his tongue that brought Coffee flying over. The dragon took the lantern and took it up to the branch, dropping it down so it hung. "Fuck yeah. I'll get you a snack at the bar." Adam promised as he flew down.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
It isn't until Adam reaches for the lantern that Amalia realizes just how absurdly tall he actually is, natural height only accentuated by the constant and absurd choice of shoes. Stepping back, she looks at them skeptically, torn between feeling appalled and impressed. "How do you walk in those?" the girl asks, raising an eyebrow and nodding toward his footware. "Does everyone wear boots like that, where you're from?" They must all be giants, she thinks, towering around in their carriages in their cities full of roads.

Coffee's antics are quite impressive, and the girl grins at the little dragon, clapping her hands approvingly. "And I will give you all the bread you can eat." She does not comment on at the bar, though a flash of concern flutters over her face. Again she thinks about the horn, empty and waiting to be refilled. What choices would Adam make today? Would she look inside to find it full of rum this time, come to his house and find him unconscious on the floor?

Movement distracts her from these thoughts, a flash of black in the underbrush. "Look," Amalia exclaims in a forceful whisper, pointing to the small black creature, a flash of white emblazoned on its chest. "I think that's the Cat Sith. Ludo says it steals souls."

Biting her lip, the girl steps forward, letting her body shift and change until she is a leopardess. Glaring at the offending creature, the larger feline lowers her eyes. Leave these people - these souls - alone. Let them find Ludo in peace.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:

For a moment stars seem to shine around Amalia through no doing of her own. The Cat Sith eyes the pair, its eyes narrowed and its body poised to pounce. One of its ears twitches and its eyes seem to catch on something unseen.