Personal Quest The Refiners Flame
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 13 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 19 - Int:
Played by: Johnnie Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

After what felt like weeks of pressure, avoiding jail sentences and guards and keeping his nose clean in a way he’d never had to, there was finally a moment of relief. A clear spot on the horizon.

So of course Caiside decided to fill it with yet more work.

There was a building he’d been looking at for some time, one that had almost certainly been a blacksmiths workshop in another life, but that was now crumbling and ruined within. It was more work than he could really do alone. Or at least, more than he wanted to do alone. So he sent out word that he was looking for help, spoke to anyone who would listen, even whispered it to a few birds, and hoped that people would show up to help.

On the appointed day, Caiside stood waiting just within what would soon be his shop. He was dressed to work, his clothes simple and his hair up in elaborate braids. There was a pot of warm spiced tea waiting on the counter, a small show of appreciation for those who came, the least he felt he could, at least until they had finished and he could offer more substantial rewards. He tried to busy himself with smaller tasks, but was distracted by the door, waiting to greet whoever arrived.

This is an open PQ to help set up a new blacksmith forge for Caiside. Three spots open, and it will move on once it’s full :)

1. Are
2. Cera
3. Jigano
Caiside
I have never been allowed to be Holy,
I have never been forgiven for Wanting;

Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
It was not just a matter of settling a debt, but maybe to create a new one. As soon as he'd gotten wind of the blacksmith needing help he knew it was a golden opportunity to kill a bunch of birds with one stone, and to free up some shelf space at that.

A little smile played on the cobblers face as he made his way to the blacksmith's home, almost a touch too pleased with himself and his brilliant plan. Knapsack stuffed with just enough things to tide him over for the day, and a very important parcel he'd left sitting far too long.

"Heil og sæl!" he greeted Caiside with a smile. "Heard you had a need for a hand or two! The least I can to for you, I owe you that much at least." Are said and set his pack down to rifle through it, producing a linen wrapped parcel stained with a few flecks of stray dye. "Got you a little something also, promised you a long time ago didn't I? But better late than never, right?" he continued, not skipping a beat. Reaching over the wrapped up payment of a set off properly tough gloves.

"So, where do I start?"
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Age: 29 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 1 - Strg: 16 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 12 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
-CERA-

If there was one benefit to hanging around the settlement more often - and in human form at that - it was that Cera became privy to the flow of information that existed wherever language planted its roots. After Smith has told him of the other crafters and metalworkers in the town, the boy had been waiting for a time such as this. He had been a forger since he was little more than a babe; drawing complex ideas in damo clay-packed sand, whittling away his days trailing after the current forger, chattering question after question like a particularly persistent buzzard. Cera's blood was molten fire, it had been his calling for many, many years.

So when he hears that the dilapidated smithery is being repaired, Cera scarcely pauses before he ventures out to find it - and the person who intended to rebuild it.

In another life perhaps he would have been the one to do it. Even now, few things brought him morenjoy than designing and shaping new creations. However, after years of loss and change, Cera found he could make a difference in the lives of others in new ways. So while he would certainly be intrigued and perhaps inquire as to an open position...well, he'd leave the ownership of the profession to another.

When he arrives he's pleasantly surprised to see Are chatting away already, and Cera smiles as he tentatively knocks against what remains of the frame before stepping in. "Sorry for the intrusion, I heard there was a forge being rebuilt? I've constructed some in the past as a metalsmith, maybe I can help?" It's spoken equally shyly and in a rush, self-conscious smile tugging at his lips, as if he had to blurt it all out as quick as possible to convince the other man to allow his continued presence.
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
((For ease of continuity, this is happening before Jigano was briefly a king))

He had promised to help his friend with his forge, and though he was still keeping a low profile in spite of the rumors of Zariah's disappearance, Jigano was no longer moving about in his full disguise. His clothing was simple and tough, though, and his signature white hair was braided up tightly and tucked under a broad-brimmed grey hat so as not to be immediately visible. Isuma was curled up in the bag he carried carefully at his side, tucked out of sight for the moment as she watched the world through his eyes.

He knew where the soon-to-be forge was, as it was one of several he had suggested, but he was still curious as to how much work would need to be done to make it functional. He ducked in the door with a smile for Caiside that faded for a moment as he caught sight of Are, then brightened again when he saw Cera. Opening his bag, he lifted the little gryphon out and she fluttered to Cera's shoulder, peeping a happy greeting to the familiar Attuned.

"I've brought some scones and loaves from the bakery for snacks later," he offered to their host, patting the still-warm bag where the treats were well-wrapped to keep Isuma's fur and feathers off them. "Though with three smiths the work should go quickly." He nodded to Are as well, a cool courtesy, though the cobbler was not, as far as he knew, a worker of metal. Much of the work would likely be simple manual labor, though, and they could all assist with that easily enough.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Age: 43 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

The first to arrive was Are, a face Caiside was expecting. ”A hand or two is exactly what I need.” He laughed, then cocked his head, watching the other man unwrap a pair of gloves. He pulled one on and beamed, wiggling his fingers. ”These are perfect! And just in time, seeing what we’re doing today.”

A knock at the door caught his attention, and he turned to see a stranger walk through the door. Caiside barely had time to greet him, and say that [b]”Help is always welcome.”
before another came through the door. This really was going better than he had expected. The disguise did have him confused for a moment, but there was no mistaking the gryphlet that emerged from his bag. ”Jigano, it’s been too long!” Caiside moved in to give his friend a hug, remembering belatedly that the other man didn’t like the closeness, and settled for clapping a hand on his shoulder instead.

”Thank you all for coming. I’ve put a lot of work into this place alone, but they say many hands makes light work.” Caiside addressed the three men, friends and strangers alike, and outstretched his arms to the space around them. ”The front shop space needs to be cleaned, and the shelves and counter repaired.” He turned to look over his shoulder at the forge itself and continued. ”The airflow to the forge is blocked, and needs to be cleared, and the basin needs to be lined with new bricks. And I believe the chimney is infested with humming bats.”

”Start with whichever you each like, I can take up the task left over.”

Choose a task and set to work!
No posting order.
Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
His friend's greeting was met with a grin, and he returned the shoulder clasp with only a little of the awkwardness he might shown at a hug. "It really has. We have some catching up to do! But first, I hear you've got a little project for us?" he teased his friend. It was good to hear that the smith had been working on his own forge for a while, and the bard's brow arched in admiration for what he'd already managed to accomplish. There were still quite a few things needed to bring the forge to working order, however, and the list wasn't as short as he had been hoping. Jigano tilted his head to the side thoughtfully as he categorized each task into something he felt confident in doing, or that was beyond his skills. Most, as it turned out, were within his ability, and he broke into a chuckle at the final item.

"Those bats do tend to get into everything, don't they?" he asked with a wink, remembering another shop he and Caiside had helped to open, and the lion's roar that had been used to frighten bats and people both from the premises! "I can probably shift them a bit more peacefully than our last experience with them though. Let me see if there's a place nearby they can be moved to instead." For he quite liked the musical little creatures, even if they could be pests to the local builders, and he hoped to find them a new home rather than simply order them away.

With a nod to Cera , Jigano settled his bag of baked goods in a clean corner of the shop where they wouldn't get disturbed, and sent Isuma to investigate the chimney and get a count of the bats living there. Meanwhile, he set out to explore the ruined buildings nearby to see if any would serve as an alternate roosting place. Finding one that he thought would do, he shifted into his raven form and flew back to the roof of the new forge, poking his head down the chimney and croaking a wake-up song to the bats, reaching out with his mind to tease and tickle them awake. Using his Beastmaster ability, he led them up and out the top of the chimney and then flew ahead, a pied-piper of bats instead of rats, guiding them to their new home and making sure they were safely settled before he shifted back to his human form and sauntered back in the front door of the forge.

"The bats shouldn't be a problem anymore," he called cheerfully. "What else do you need?"
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Age: 29 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
-CERA-

His help is not turned away, and Cera smiles warmly at the welcome before yet another is crossing the threshold not long after he evacuates it. Not one to pry and unaware of his friend's human features, it takes until Caiside speaks his name for Cera to recognize the figure beneath the low-brimmed hat, and his face lights up in delighted surprise. It feels like ages since he'd last seen Jigano, and he'd feared privately for his safety for many moons after their conversation regarding the tyrannical leadership of the land. He waits until the two have greeted one another, easily distracted as Isuma is pulled out from a little pouch and immediately flies over to him. Cera sweeps his hair off his shoulder to allow her room to perch on it, cooing at her in delighted greeting. "Why, have you grown Isuma? Soon you'll be as big as a panther!" he teases, verdant eyes swimming with joy at her presence.

The tasks are presented, and Cera glances at his little tag-along, considering his options. He certainly doesn't want to chase her off from his shoulder if she wants to settle on it again as they all work, so he pipes up not long after Jigano. "I can take care of the front of the shop," he assures, and sets to work immediately after. There was little time to waste, and dawdling was not in his nature. With a quick goodbye to Isuma and a bright smile at Jigano in return to his nod of hello, Cera tucks his hair up into a bun and pulls a rag out of his bag. It's simple enough to dust the debris and powdered build-up from all the clean surfaces, grabbing the larger rubble and hauling it outside into a pile to be taken care of later. A quick sweep of the floors, careful not to further dust up the place, and most of the dirt is out the front door.

The cracked counters give him some pause before he brightens and strides outside, quickly stripping the old bark off the nearest pine trees and hauling back the strips. Starting a little fire outside is simple for him, and he places the strips in the biggest jar he has in his little pouch, sacrificing his drinking water temporarily to create the pine tar he needs. Still warm, he returns to the counters and pours it into the cracks, sealing it up and smoothing it out to let it cool.

The shelves are easy enough to repair, re-hanging them and pounding in new rivets with some of the scattered tools and metals available in the forge-to-be. A quick light coating of the pine tar to seal it against further wear, and he wipes his sticky hands against his leggings before turning to Caiside with a smile. "Front is good!" he reports, awaiting further instructions.
Are Jormsson
Cobbler / Leatherworker

Age: 31 | Height: 6'4" (193cm) | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 3 - Strg: 20 - Dext: 12 - Endr: 20 - Luck: 6 - Int:
Played by: Wiggen Offline
Change author:

Are
Simple, honest work. Not that setting bricks was anywhere near the cobbler's forte, it was better than braving the chimney or trying to coax a somewhat usable flow of air into the would be forge. "I'll take care of the basin, or what's left of it." Are said while scratching his head at how exactly to tackle the task ahead.

Getting right to it and figuring it out as he went along wasn't anywhere near the most efficient method, but played into a practical mind and strong hands. As both took a short break he had plenty of time chewing the inside of his cheek at the task, and also tossing a glance Caiside's way. "Hey, you don't happen to have any ingots of iron knocking about? Raw material seems hard to come by, especially one out of my trade." he asked, wiped his brow and got back to work. It was clear what needed doing, and more specifically how it should be done, so he applied himself and conversed in the meantime.
Caiside Annatar
Blacksmith

Change author:

Caiside smiled appreciatively as he watched his assembled friends get to work, the shop suddenly a flurry of activity. He watched quietly for a moment, then got to work on the air intake for the forge, the only task left unclaimed. As he worked, he chatted, words flowing easily enough while his hands were occupied.

”Peacefully is definitely preferred.” Caiside laughed, also remembering the lions roar, and the startle it had caused. Truth be told, he’d be happy to keep the little bats around, had they not settled in the chimney. Jigano set his things down and wandered out of the store, golden eyes following his back for a moment before looking over the other two.

Are, despite not being familiar with a forge, was a hard worker, something Caiside already knew, and he was clever enough to have the general idea down. The red haired smith moved in to offer some advice, his demonstration pausing as he thought about the cobblers question. ”I don’t have any that are particularly pure.” He admitted with a shrug. ”I’ve mostly been repurposing scraps from the ruins.” Not the most glamorous admission, but it was the truth. ”It works fine for most things, despite how it sounds. What does a cobbler need iron for?”

Once he had finished helping Are, Caiside returned to his own task, working on the bellows. He thought about checking in on the only stranger who had arrived, not sure if it was rude to simply leave him to his own devices. The front of house area wasn’t exactly where his priorities lay, but Caiside couldn’t help but be intrigued by the smell of pine. Still, he kept working and resisted the urge to look at what was happening. At least until Cera called out that he was done. The front was a far cry from how it had been, almost resembling a real shop instead of just another ruin.

With most everyone wrapping up on the tasks they were working on, Caiside clapped his hands together and smiled. ”There’s not much more.” He assured the others. ”There’s an anvil that needs to be moved closer to the forge, no that’s it’s rebuilt.” He had moved it the first time, and it had been a gigantic struggle. He’d ended up tying it with leather straps and dragging it across he ground. ”This will probably be a two person job.” He added, looking towards the stronger members of the group. ”I also need tool hooks hung up near the forge. Lots, but I’ll be helping with that.”

Good job everyone! Now an anvil needs to be moved and hooks need to be hung!

No post order
Caiside

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Isuma was happy to be cooed over, chortling happily as she patted Cera ’s ear with a fond foreclaw and checking him over to make sure he was well. Jigano shot the pair of them a grin before they all went to their tasks, calling the gryphlet back to assist him in his endeavors with the bats – something he was uniquely suited for, with Remi elsewhere at the moment. It wasn’t a quick task, but neither were the other ones, and he made it back just as Cera and Are were finishing up.

Caiside’s clap brought a grin to the bard’s lips as Isuma reep!ed a counterpoint. The forge was beginning to shape around them thanks to their efforts, and it was gratifying to see the visible progress. The anvil was the elephant not-yet-in-the-room, of course, and Jigano grimaced as he considered the weight of it. He had never been particularly strong, though Caido had layered muscle onto his lean frame. Still, he wasn’t used to thinking of himself as the strongest man in a room – not with Are the cobbler and Cera the smith at hand! Instead he shook his head ruefully and went to help Caiside with the hooks.

”Edy makes fun of my noodle arms for a reason,” he admitted with a rueful chuckle. ”But I can hang the hooks as high as you’d like – and any that I can’t reach, Isuma can!” The gryphlet chirruped confirmation, fluttering up to find a roofbeam to perch on and watch the antics below. Jigano grabbed a hammer and the long, heavy nails for securing the hooks and got to work, chatting idly with Caiside as he competently tapped each one into place with deft strikes.
Cera Novik
Metalsmith / Medic

Change author:
-CERA-

They reconvene easily enough inside, the man of the hour clapping his hands and clearly pleased with the work they had all done. Cera feels a glow of accomplishment settle in his breast. Though the work is not done, it feels good to help these people. To be of assistance when the need strikes. Especially to someone who loves the craft the way he does.

The next task - and Jigano's subsequent reply - causes Cera to laugh brightly. He's certainly no muscle man either, but he's still decently strong. Glancing over at Are he grins, already gearing up for the task. "I guess that leaves us?" Moving over to the anvil in question, he eyes the leather straps Caiside had used to get it there in the first place, and grabs hold of them while awaiting Are to take position. Only then does he begin to lift, gritting his teeth and breathing out slowly as he helps to bear the weight of the hunk of metal.