a shield for safrin
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
Amalia has not had a chance to speak to Remi since the wedding, except for that night in the bakery following Jigano's ill-fated coronation. She remembers the ire of the gentle alchemist, his firm attestation that the bard should not lead, and while she does not disagree, she thinks their reasoning may be different. The baker doesn't know the full extent of the bad blood between them, but she knows that it is there.

It is nearing the end of the day when Amalia slips into the Artisan's Guild, the silver shield Deimos made in one hand, a loaf of oat bread in the other. She has been playing with an idea for a few days, mulling it over in her mind since she and her lover sparred, and now it makes a good excuse to check in on her friend.

Opening the door a crack, Amalia sticks her head through the frame, hoping the alchemist has not already gonw home. She is not quite ready to face Ronin, yet.

"Remi?" her dark voice calls into the room. "Are you here?"
with a brave heart anything is possible

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 100 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Offline
Change author:
MP: 3059
when the heart of this wide-eyed wanderer
Remi was exhausted from all of it. The back and forth. Trying to read between blurred lines with eyes already hopelessly shattered. All he wanted was for Ronin to be healthy again. All they wanted was for him to wear the crown. It was fine and reasonable and Remi understood, but gods if he didn't just want to run home, lock the doors, and proclaim that he and Ronin were closed for business for the foreseeable future.

But life went on, and Remi with it.

"Mmm, back here." Came the slightly mumbled, definitely sleepy, but somehow still bright reply from somewhere back in the gloom. As Amalia approaches, she'll find Remi pouring over various books, sketches all around of the blight, and absolutely no discernible pattern to the alchemist's chaos.
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
Amalia follows the sound of his voice, the hall familiar enough by now for her to navigate without a guide. Barefoot she pads to the back room, her footsteps nearly silent as she makes her way through the gloom. It is darker than she is comfortable with, but she supposes a blind man does not need much light. Still the baker pauses to light a lantern, illuminating the space and glancing around anxiously for the young man. "I'm... I'm sorry to bother you, I just... I thought of something, and I know it might be a lot to ask, but..."

The sight that meets her gives her pause, a sharp inhalation sucked between her teeth. Books and papers, drawings and scraps, all about the blight. Concern plays on her angular face; she pulls up a chair next to Remi, running fingers over a page. "Have you found anything?" the girl asks, not daring to say her other thoughts, though the concern for Ronin and Safrin seeps through their bond.

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
Remi looks up. As Amalia has already observed, perhaps one of the only benefits of being blind is not needing as much light. When he is familiar with things, they simply are in his view. Not illuminated, not reflective, just...objective, in a way. But of course his smile is instantaneous, and though weary, it is genuine for as long as Remi can hold it. "Hey, no of course. Anything." He says easily, his accent all the more thick given how tired he is.

"Mmm, nothing helpful I do not think." He replied with a sigh, turning to yawn into his shoulder. "It seems organic, and yet all the gods have said that it is not. But—" Shifting some papers around, Remi pulls up sketches of blighted plants compared to others that have just been regularly infected by fungus and bacteria. "If you ignore the strange dark starry sort of quality, it all seems the same. The earthen smell, the rot, the decay." Running his fingertips up his arm, Remi could only shake his head.

"There is also.." Only because of how much Remi trusts Amalia, because of the pulse of concern he feels from her, does he pull out the pages hidden beneath the others. They are sketches of Ronin's hand, indicating tremors. The way his skin has taken on a clamminess, the earthen smell...other notes about his husband's mood, his balance, his appetite. All of it Remi has marked down with the strictness of a scientist, but there is love in the way he has captured his partner. Worry too, in the quickly-jotted notes in the margins.
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
She listens intently as Remi explains the drawings, looking over his shoulder without any real comprehension, her eyebrows furrowing as dark eyes ghost over gnarled plants and carefully scrawled notes. It seems organic, Remi says, and Amalia nods though she remains ignorant of what, exactly, all that means. Does it have to do with Phoebe's cells? With the strange words Nate was throwing around? If only she knew anything useful, could contribute anything at all- but Amalia's knowledge ends far short of true botany. It is all she can do to keep her garden alive.

It is the next piece of information that catches her breath in her chest, makes her blood run cold with concern as understanding dawns on the girl. She knows that Ronin is sick, of course (and worse, that Safrin is as well) but seeing the extent of it, the tremors and clamminess, the darkness beneath the skin...

Her hand rests on Remi's, a reassuring squeeze passing between their fingers, a pulse of empathy and love and determination through their minds. "Ludo told me Vi is looking into it. And Phoebe is working with Frey." She wishes she had more to tell him: answers and solutions, plans of attack, anything concrete, anything real, a way to save the ones they love.

But she doesn't. All they have is their determination, their affection and adoration and strength of character.

"Deimos says you're going back to the Spire. And that I am not to come." She glances sidelong, a little wry, mostly defeated, trying to gauge her friend's feelings on the matter. Amalia still resents this development, but understands it, in a way: here, too, the baker is useless, able to contribute nothing to a greater cause.

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
For a moment the alchemist's fingers remain tense. It takes conscious will to relax and return a pulse of appreciation back to his friend. Still, through their connection Amalia will feel that his heart is not quite in it. Lost in a sea, Amalia is like the sight of a distant shoreline. Reassuring yes, but not near enough to change his current surroundings. "Mmmm." He hums softly, nodding in vague recognition. Ludo..Vi..Frey. All the gods for whom he holds very little confidence.

"Oh?" Remi says, glancing into Amalia's onyx gaze with a wry smile. "Ronin is. He will stay at the top with the unicorns and simply project himself inside. If you need leverage to come, I would say you have it." He chuckled, before shrugging. "Our goal though is to be as efficient as possible. Together I think Deimos and I stand a good chance of changing and killing the plants. If Vai will keep the air clear, hopefully we can clear the basement. What comes next I..." Almost sadly, and perhaps a little harshly, Remi uttered a small laugh. "I do not care, honestly. About snakes, about portals. If eliminating the plants at all helps Ronin and Safrin, that is my only goal. Jigano can do what he likes with the basement after that."
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
It doesn't do much, her bland reassurance, and Amalia again feels inadequate and small, trying to affect a world far greater and more dangerous than it has ever been before. Do your best, try your best- what is the point if it's never enough? If Ronin and Safrin and the beautiful woods are all condemned to death, for a mortal mistake she cannot identify well enough to correct?

It is a heavy burden to bear, and one she cannot truly be expected to do anything about. Still, the girl has to try, because right now it is all she can possibly do, and to do nothing would be infinitely worse.

That Ronin is coming to the Spire irks Amalia a little, makes her bite her lip. If he can help, the ill, the dying, certainly there is something she can do? Her long fingers fidget over the shield, and she nods, biting gently on her lip as Remi explains their plan. It is not until he gets to the part about Jigano that the baker looks up, eyebrow arching curiously at his laugh. "We could not find the snake last time," she remarks. "The door was gone. But the plants..."

Sighing, Amalia rolls her shoulders in a shrug, her dark eyes once more downcast. "That's why I came, actually. I... I want to be helpful, to have something to contribute. You all have magic, and Ronin can project, but I..." Her expression speaks of unspoken inadequacies; she fidgets anxiously with a stray piece of chalk. "I thought - what you said, about something to block magic? Deimos made me this shield, but I wondered if maybe you could enchant it. To absorb magic. Then maybe I... I could bring it, to help."

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi vaguely shakes his head again at the mention of the snake, closing his eyes to stay the desire to say something snarky. Instead his lips twitch in a half smile and he merely shrugs. "Perhaps I should, but I do not care. If there is a guardian...someone else can look after it." Someone like Jigano, who was quite interested in it anyways. As for the portal? The Greatwood was not so far that he wasn't more than happy to walk. All he wanted was Ronin's health. It was all that mattered.

Glancing towards Amalia and frowning sadly as she mentioned that she wanted to have something to contribute—the implication of course being that she didn't already—Remi merely let his brows furrow silently as he listened. "Hey." Remi whispered softly, a hand reaching out to slow the movements of her fingers, and to gently squeeze them in his larger hands if she'll allow. Remi wasn't sure how to communicate what he wanted to, without sounding condescending. Instead, he simply opened his mind like a breeze and sighed. Therein would be muddled half-thoughts that Amalia's strengths needn't be physical, that it was alright to not have magic and to help in other ways. There too though was the knowledge that the baker was far too strong-willed for such a platitude to be properly meaningful, and so on the end of his emotional pulse of support was also a boyish sort of shrug. A cheeky well, come along then.

"Absorb." Remi repeated thoughtfully, a hand brushing over the shield. "It could, yes. Or...it could reflect it.." He suggested with a small shrug. Either way, he was more than happy to enchant the item.
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Much like her earlier reassurance, Remi's attempt to ease Amalia's discontent is met with a distant sort of gratitude, objective understanding without really believing it but appreciative nonetheless. It isn't enough, she isn't enough- but she will be damned if she isn't going to try, to do her best and come and help and push herself to do all she can. Shield of Safrin, Ludo called her, and a shield she will be.

And in the end it is Remi's understanding of this that makes her value him so as a friend.

She tilts her head as the alchemist muses, chewing thoughtfully at her lip. "I thought about that, but..." Amalia falters, feeling rather foolish all at once. "I, ah, I didn't want to hurt anyone if I reflect it on accident. But if it could be absorbed, and maybe used later? Or just... negated." Rolling her shoulders in a shrug, the baker smiles wryly at her friend, her dark eyes tired, no longer trying to hide the burdens that she bears. It is a testament to the comfort he inspires, the trust she feels for the man: few are witness to Amalia's weakness, the crumbling uncertainty which gnaws at her core.

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Softly the alchemist shrugs. Though he can create the objects that Amalia and others desire, he isn't sure it is his place to tell them what they ought to wish from him. Perhaps it should be, and perhaps it will be in the future, but for now, he leaves the decision to Amalia. "I can. It would be like a larger version of the crystal I gave to Deimos. It only holds magic that is purposely cast at it. So if someone is attacking you, it would be able to hold that as well."
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Normally Remi's reticence would set Amalia ill at ease, but she has thought long and hard about this request, the thing she wants and the purpose it will serve. Reflecting is good, but it opens her and others up to danger, creates an opening for misstaken redirects. Negating, similarly, would weaken her friends, dampening their abilities instead of assisting. In the end, it is absorption and redirection Amalia has decided on, and she nods in agreement with what Remi describes. "Yes. That way I can help without being in the way." Then I won't be useless, a deadweight in the dark.

She passes him the shield, chewing thoughtfully on her lip. "I... I had another question, too." An apologetic smile, but her tone is lighter now. "I've recently found I can... sort of reach out? To other animals. I've only tried it on birds, but... you've been Attuned longer than I have. Have you found there's any limits? Do you ever do it on accident?"

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi nods, his compliance immediate and freely given. Taking the shield into his hands, for a moment he allows himself to marvel in the craftsmanship. Tracing some of the details, a small smile plays on his lips as he imagines the look on Deimos's face as he made it. For such a lumbering ox of a man, there is a shocking and endearing amount of thoughtfulness in him. Of creativity and love hidden behind those stern eyebrows and storm-blue eyes. With a sigh that is gentle and focused, light pulses from Remi's hand and envelopes the shield. The surface glimmers for a moment and seems to thicken, before the magic recedes into the shield itself leaving it looking as it did moments before.

Now that his mind is free, he looks thoughtfully up at her with a small smile. "Yes. I can too." Remi agrees with a gentle nod. "Well...it first started with the animals I could become. Or, the same species anyways." He clarified quickly. "First it was simply that I could...call to them, I suppose. Then after a time it grew stronger. I could command them to do things. Then slowly it became all animals." Feeling the familiar tug of awkwardness that came from discussing his abilities, Remi ruffled a hand bashfully through his curls, clearing his throat. "It has never worked on companions though. I am not sure if they can even hear me." Little did he knew, that would come later.

As for on accident? Remi chuckled.

"I cannot say, to be honest. I know there have been times I have found birds gathering conveniently when I need help. I know I leave my mind more open than others do. Perhaps I am calling out without meaning to. Or perhaps they simply feel me."
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia nods as Remi explains, chewing her lip thoughtfully as he explains a similar experience to that she has had. Being able to feel the animals came easy, early, a sort of companionship shared strongly with owls and lightly with cats. Perhaps if she were to encounter a leopard... but Amalia has never seen such a feline, not outside of novels and art.

The calling is comforting, but the commands are what set her ill at ease, a little perturbed by the idea that she can bend the wills of living things. Still, though, it is not entirely surprising- the girl has read a good deal about Attuned, accounts of others doing the same. But the addition of all animals makes her raise a brow, once again impressed and taken aback by how much stronger the Outlanders are, how easily they grasp the gifts of the gods. A twinge of inadequacy eases through her, the same insecurities brought to the fore. Amalia swallows in an attempt to smother those feelings before Remi can sense them, never wanting to hurt her friend.

"I would worry about hurting them." Her long fingers slide over the shield, tracing patterns and pathways, brows furrowed in thought. "Or making them do something they don't want to. It seems... wrong, to be able to force another living thing to my will."

Coding base by Sky!
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Smiling weakly, the alchemist nods in immediate agreement. "It does, yes. I cannot say I have ever forced them to do anything for me ... then again, I do not know. Coercion is a difficult thing. Do they comply because they know I can make them if they are inclined to disagree? " The thought is a more than worrying one. Despite how open Remi is mentally with all those around him, that merely means the complexity of his abilities are also available to those who want to know.

Amalia has

Type: Dark
An ornate titanium shield covered in star sigils. When (abandoned) magic is cast at this device, it can store the power and reuse it as controlled by the wielder. (Made by Remi)
beats in time with yours

Coding base by Sky!