dig a little deeper
For Phoebe
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 14 - Strg: 59 - Dext: 72 - Endr: 58 - Luck: 80 - Int: 3
SUGAR - Mythical - Dragon (Ice Breath)
Played by: Honey Offline
Change author:
MP: 3081
ronin
A man unwilling to fight for what he wants deserves what he gets
Delegated to note-taker, Ronin couldn't help but frown as Phoebe went on without him, jotting down the numbers as she spoke and feeling the inexplicable urge to write them wrong out of spite. He had only just swallowed down the urge, in fact, when the plate with the experiment on it exploded, Ronin's blue eyes widening.

"Shit, Phoebe - are you okay?" he asked, clambering up to move and lean down beside her, checking she'd not been cut. "I... uh. I don't think I want to take that kind of medicine, if that's alright with you. I've already been blown up once."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Level: 5 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 46 - Endr: 41 - Luck: 41 - Int:
PIM - Mythical - Dragon (Electricity) BRANBAST - Mythical - Sear Cat (Speech)
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 1825
Phoebe
When you need some shelter from the rain, when you need a healer for your pain, I will be there time and time again
Phoebe certainly wasn't expecting that, as evidenced by the way she screamed in shock as it suddenly exploded. Glass shattered and flew in all directions. But she was too close, face close to the microlens, and shards nicked at her cheeks and arms. Pim roared for her, any shards bouncing uselessly off his scales. He would remember to as daddy Frey why they made humans so soft and squishy.

The blonde didn't seem to notice though, staring at the shattered remains of the plate with wide eyes. Only when Ronin mentioned that he had exploded once, did she glanced at him. "That's what I am afraid of. Roana said that the explosion that killed you was a defense mechanism placed into the Spire Demon by the Voice. Safrin told her that." she said. Already she was working. But this time she didn't need notes, and whatever small flesh wounds she had from the explosion could wait. A new plate was found in her bag, a new drop of blood placed on it. Then she added only the Echinacea, knowing this a tried and true remedy for awful diseases in people, unlike the sulfur solution.

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

When will you learn?

Whilst the plate does not explode this time, Phoebe will notice the blighted cells ferociously attacking the new material, and eventually the Echinacea is overcome.

Small, hairline cracks appear in the plate from the flurry of sudden activity.

Regardless, all ridiculous behaviour for blood cells.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Age: 34 | Height: 5'10 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
ronin
Already beside her since the last detonation, Ronin had to stop himself for reaching out and slapping the plate from Phoebe's hand as she went in for another test. It was a close thing, though, the hunter balling his hands into fists and watching anxiously as she added a new solution. The moment the hairline cracks appeared, he reached out to grab her wrist.

"Stop it," he said. "You are hurt, and bleeding. Sit back so I can check you're alright. No experiment is worth someone getting glass in them."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Age: 26 | Height: 5'9" | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Greatwood
Change author:
Phoebe
When you need some shelter from the rain, when you need a healer for your pain, I will be there time and time again
Phoebe stared at it, aghast. It shouldn't have been possible. Unlike the sulfur solution that she herself had never tested on people, she knew these medicines were safe. And yet, when confronted with this blight, it exploded. She was by no means an expert in cells or illnesses outside her practice of midwifery, but there was no logical, natural explanation for this. Just as dread began to fill her gut and she began to formulate her next test she was tugged out of her thoughts by Ronin.

She stared at him wide eyed, taking a moment to understand his words. "Getting glass in my arms is nothing compared to what will happen if I don't test this." she snapped, brows furrowing. It wasn't just an experiment. Lives were on the line, including his own! But she suddenly realized how harsh she was, given he was just trying to help her. "I-I'm sorry I shouldn't have yelled at you I just...I have to get to the bottom of this. The Greatwood will die and...I can't let Remi and Aoife lose you again." she said quietly.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"And you think everyone else isn't doing all they can as well?" Ronin raised his eyebrows. "You think I'm not trying to get this sorted out before the worst happens? It's why I invited you here, Phoebe. But one person being a martyr is not going to make this go away. Now hold still, please... I'm no medic, but I've got some field first aid skills."

If Phoebe would allow, Ronin would root around to find a pair of tweezers and some gauze, intending to help remove the tiny shards of glass and to clean her up. "They won't lose me. I have no intention of going anywhere - so please. Don't worry on my behalf."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
"I didn't say that." she said quietly, eyes dropping to stare at the ground. She knew everyone was doing everything they could. But getting glass in her arms was nothing compared to impending death, especially if it led to answers or increased understanding. But she was easily chided and made to feel guilty, careful not to move as he cleaned up her arms. There was a myriad of medical supplies in her pack so he was sure to find what he was looking for.

"Worrying is one of the things I do best though." she said with a small smile, falling silent again as she watched him work. "Did the military ever have anything that would explode like that?"
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"...I know you didn't. I'm sorry," Ronin murmured, seeming to calm a little at least as he was able to clean her up. Perhaps it was just the sight of her covered in flecks of his tainted blood that had him on edge. Perhaps. "Well, just don't worry too hard, okay? You're also good at a lot of other things, and the Hollowed Grounds needs you to be able to deliver its babies strong and healthy, okay?"

Winking, he sat back and sighed, having patched her up as best he could. "Hm...? I mean... yes, we did. Not much, but even Remi was able to make fireworks for one of my training exercises." He nodded.
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
”It’s okay.” Phoebe said with a small smile. He made an effort to cheer her up, which she appreciated, but she couldn’t help but feeling she was coming up a bit short. ”I know. If only this were something to do with babies.” she said with a sigh. She would have it figured out in no time then. ”I feel like I promised to help Frey with something I can’t possibly deliver on.” she admitted quietly.

”Do you know how it worked? What the function of the explosion was?” she asked, glancing towards the shattered and cracked plates. ”I know sulfur can be exploded but…that was a pretty diluted solution. And the other medicines aren’t even particularly flammable, much less explosive as far as I am aware.”
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
"Based on the symptoms of this particular ailment, and the fact that my blood apparently has a defence mechanism now, I am very glad that this has nothing to do with babies," Ronin quipped back to Phoebe with a small smile. He helped pack everything away once he had cleaned her up, rising to his feet again and sighing; he had wanted to know more, yes, but he hadn't quite expected this meeting to take a turn towards shattering glass.

"The function... of the explosion?" he asked, feeling suddenly rather stupid. Explosions were there to... explode. To distract or cause harm, mostly. "I'm afraid I really don't, Phoebe. That's more Remi's expertise, though if you wanted to speak with him I'm sure he'd be happy to, especially if you mention it's for research on the blight."

As for Frey, he could only smile weakly and shrug his shoulders. "Sometimes all we can do is try," he said. "You'll never be able to deliver every single thing you promise. Sorry, Phoebe."
Phoebe Steadman
the Nightingale
Midwife

Change author:
Phoebe
The young midwife smiled at the former captain, appreciating his quip. ”I suppose that is true. I’m not sure that I would even know what to do with…combustible babies.” she said with a light laugh. It was a pretty dark joke perhaps, but she felt like there was a dark cloud hanging over her as it was. Now people’s blood was exploding, as if the blight hadn’t been terrible enough before.

She just sighed and nodded in regards to the explosions, making a mental note to ask Remi how they worked – why things would or wouldn’t explode. An alchemist would likely know the answer to such a question. ”I know.” she said with a sigh, her mind wandering to the ever-nude deity she was trying to assist. ”Thank you though, for helping. If I find anything more I will be sure to let you know.” but for now she had a lot to think on.
Ronin Taliesin
the Supernova

Change author:
ronin
Combustible babies? That had Ronin having to bite his lip not to laugh - because really, it was a dark joke. But hells, the whole of his world was dark lately and he absolutely couldn't deal with it any more; he'd get his laughs where he could.

Reaching out, he grasped Phoebe's shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze, smiling down at her. "Any time," he said. "The same goes for me - the second I find out something that might help, I'll let you know."

Whether or not that would actually work or happen was another matter entirely, though the sentiment was there all the same. Making sure all of Phoebe's things were packed up properly, Ronin bade her farewell so she could head off to continue her research, and turned for home.

~END