[OPEN] Delirium Tremendous
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 2 - Strg: 12 - Dext: 14 - Endr: 13 - Luck: 10 - Int:
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
Abasi
You tell me what you want and I'll tell you what you get

So not only was he in a strange place he did not know, with strange people who did not know his Gods or land...

..Now he appeared to be catching ill as well.

Abasi had at first put his feeling unwell down to a lack of sleep and in the most undignified night of his entire life had found an abandoned house to sleep in, curled up on what had once been a bed staring at the wall until it had faded to black. But he had woken up with his hands shaky and his skin wet, clammy.

He had always been one to keep his worries to himself. To pretend nothing got to him. Stoic and cold. But...now...with all of it, he was panicked. He had heard some locals discussing an infirmary in 'the temple', so he set off on a journey to find it.

And when he finally did, he opened the door to find it...empty. Pressing his hands to his face, Abasi took a deep, shaking breath and tried to collect himself, but it was feeling like there were less and less pieces to collect as the moments went by.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen
Warden of Halo / Apothecarist

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 8 - Strg: 18 - Dext: 20 - Endr: 30 - Luck: 30 - Int:
MICAH - Regular - Tide Jaguar
Played by: Brit Offline
Change author:
MP: 9427
evie
The kind of flawless I wish I could be
If Evie is anything, she's opportunistic. So much had changed that she had not been privy to, so many drastic changes to the only life and world she'd ever known. In the wake of those calamitous events, Evie had returned to what she knew best: potions and salves. Things she can control to center herself in the maelstrom of change that she can't defend against. And if there just so happened to be an opening of sorts in the Infirmary to keep her occupied, who was she to turn it down? It's not like anyone else was stepping up to man the clinic, so she had no problem self-appointing herself. Although having two different buildings to visit each day was certainly a hassle that she most definitely despised, it gave her a guise to work beneath to flex and practice her...gift. Veritable curse though it is in her mind, Evie can't deny that it has immediate helpful effects on others.

She's shouldering her way through the internal door, cursing under her breath and trying to balance a few different vials in her arms when she looks up and a strangled shriek of surprise garbles in her throat at the sudden appearance of a man across the room. Thankfully she doesn't fumble the bottles, though it's a close enough call that she immediately sets them down on the counter. "You nearly stopped my heart!" she exclaims, abruptly shoving her hair back over her shoulders and fixing her shirt as she strides confidently across the room towards the stranger.

He looks haggard, despairing even with the way he holds his face in his hands. Not wanting to startle him by touching him, Evie stops a few steps away. "Did you need help? My name's Evie, I'm an apothecarist," she formally introduces, hoping he'll reveal whatever he seeks with that less than subtle prompt.
Undertaker

Age: 36 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Abasi

A sudden cry caused Abasi to look up and around - seeing the woman nearby he immediately found himself suspicious. Once again she seemed foreign, with an accent he did not know and carrying vials containing things he could not imagine. Upon hearing he had nearly stopped her heart he merely shrugged with a dismissive grunt.

Though, he did need help. Badly, with several things.

He did not know an apothecarist was, but he was desperate enough to try with anyone right now. "Yes. I have only recently...arrived here. I appear to have taken ill already." He held out his hands, which shook in the air. "I am cold. My skin feels odd. Please, if this is some sickness native to this land, tell me how to cure it."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Age: 34 | Height: 5'5 | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
evie
Whoever the stranger was, he certainly was no invigorating conversationalist. With a concealed huff, she waits for his decision to either stay or go. He certainly seemed lost and at his wits end, but Evie had quickly learned as an apothecarist that patients had to choose to seek the help she offered. Her desire to ease their burdens would never surpass their stubborn pride or hatefulness, and she certainly wasn't going to waste her breath when she could be actively healing others.

Whatever is going on inside his mind, defeat slumps his shoulders in the end. He certainly doesn't seem happy about it, but she can work with this! She's not surprised he's an Outlander - most are these days it seems - so she doesn't comment and instead lets her bright eyes trace his trembling hands, the pallor of his skin, the sweat that clings to his hair and face.

"Can I touch you? I need to take your temperature with my wrist," she clarifies, waiting for his approval - or denial - before she decides to move forward with determining his heat levels. "There are a few afflictions here, but I am familiar with many of them. Can you tell me how your skin feels odd? I don't want to give you the wrong treatment." As much as patiently explaining herself can be annoying, she can tell the man is frazzled and doesn't want to spook him further.
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi

"Yes." Abasi consented, though his hesitation to be touched was clear in his clipped tone, the stiff way he prepared himself. He was not sure what she meant by check your temperature with my wrist, but in this world with its new Gods and magic wielded by just about anyone it seemed, he was not asking many more questions. The answers were too tiring.

He frowned at her question, wondering how she did not feel it herself, but replied: "It feels clammy. As if I am in the midst of a fever. But I do not feel feverish." Abasi had more patience for medical professionals, respecting their knowledge over his own, but he hoped fervently she could actually help so he wouldn't have to yell. At this point, he was almost ready to hear well, everyone here has clammy skin and feels weird all the time.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
evie
Before the fellow can revoke his permission, Evie calmly moves into his space and presses her wrist to his forehead, the sensitive inner skin of her arm feeling for any drastic changes. She hums softly to herself and then steps back, heading over to the little cabinet of tinctures and decoctions she had begun stocking of her own volition. His words follow her across the room, his exasperation clearly apparent, but at least slightly more informative than before.

Hoping the removal of her immediate presence will calm him a little, she begins checking labels and pulling out a few vials as she speaks. "Well the good news is you're right, you're not feverish. At most a tad warm," she comments, laying the little jars in a row before turning back to the strange man. She sweeps her ginger hair over her shoulder and regards him once more. "I have some options to help you, would you like me to explain them beforehand?" He seemed the skittish sort, at least. But she was already feeling the itch in her hands, the urge to heal him magically, and she tucks her nails against her palms and squeezes to get rid of the urge.

She hates the lack of consent involved to use her cursed skills, but if it helps the man she will find a way to do so. Let him believe her medicines were simply more potent than they truly were, because Evie was no slacker. She was quite proud of what she could accomplish through medical books and perseverance. But if she could cure him wholly...how could she not take that chance as a woman of healing?
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi

Abasi visibly tensed as Evie's wrist touched him, unused to any kind of physical contact. He did not move away though, able to separate in his mind the touch of someone unwelcome and the clinical investigations of a doctor (which he hoped she actually was. It was hard to tell, with everything so different here).

Her little vials which she grabbed, potions and salves he was sure, actually comforted him a little. Perhaps it was more like home; and though Evie did not know this he was also quite comfortable with the idea of healing magics - after all he had been to plenty of healers in Eygpt that had invoked the Gods in their practices, had chanted over medicines to increase their effects.

"Yes. Tell me of the options. Do you have a name for the sickness?"
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
evie
Keeping herself occupied with the vials is far easier than dealing with whatever trauma or reticence causes the man to flinch from her hands. She is an apothecarist, not a mind healer. No matter the kindness in her soul or her innate desire to help others, Evie is far from a counselor. She could scarcely get her own mind and affairs in order. So, no. As much as she'd like to inquire as to his burden, perhaps lift the weight off his shoulders if it dragged him down, she instead says nothing. He doesn't seem the type to respond well her to naturally effervescent personality, so instead she worries her lip between her teeth and sets her sharp eyes on the labels.

They are faded with time and age, and she can't help but run a finger across the familiar handwriting, remembering when she had first set up her apothecary and she had thrust the task at Sam to conceal her own lack of knowledge. A lack she had made up for in her time away, hiding from the wave of change that had overtaken the dome. With little else to do she had buried herself in books in the Wordsworth family home, adamant that she improve her skills. Rory's assistance had given her freedom to exercise her magic, but there were many days she could not help but shiver at the usage. It still felt like a taint.

Shaking herself from her thoughts she hustles over to the still-unnamed man. How rude first of all. But at least he doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Helpful, when it comes to treating a patient.

"We don't have names for anything but the common stuff, y'know like colds and winter fevers. The symptoms I can treat though, no fancy names needed," she declares with a whirl, bright grin on her face at the looming prospect of treatment. Nimble fingers pluck a few vials from the bunch, whirling around to stride out of the room briefly and hustle back with a steaming cup of water. Into it she drops the extracts in her hand - echinacea, chamomile leaves, and oregano. Not the best tea combination, but the man would have to drink it down nonetheless. After a moment's deliberation Evie decides to take pity on the man and drops some peppermint extract in as well, if only to liven the taste. She brandishes it at Abasi like it's the key to immortality, smile beaming.

"Here ya go! It has echinacea extract for the cold. Even if you have no fever, the chills and clammy skin fit the mold. Some chamomile to relax you and help you sleep, which is the best healing there is. And just a little oregano extract, in case any of it is internal or food related," she clarifies with ease, bright eyes watching Abasi and awaiting his decision. With how she'd clearly displayed every ingredient before letting it steep, she hopes it earns his trust enough to take the cup from her hand and drink it down.

And then comes the 'main event'. Evie places the cup on the exam table just in case Abasi doesn't take it from her hand, and reaches for the next item. A small jar is unscrewed, and Evie tries not to let her dismay appear on her face at having to come up with an excuse again. "This is a wax from peppermint leaves and rosemary, it will help with the clammy skin and will help you breathe easier too as it soaks into your skin. I uh...do you mind if I apply it?" And here it is, the question of the day. Evie isn't sure if her magic can work without the touch of her hands - all she knows is that it's easier to visualize it as working through her touch. Practicing it seems too dangerous with how she has yet to reveal it to even her closest friends. If Abasi didn't accept, she'd have to at least try, and if it didn't work then she would have to put faith in her concoctions.
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi

Abasi watched her gather together vials, was a little unnerved by how she seemed to need to stare at each one; did she not know what medicines she held? But even if he did not have full faith in her, this was his best chance at feeling at all better, so for he moment he tried to withhold judgement (for Abasi, a monumental task).

He was not familiar with any of the things she named as medicines, but he had not been an expert on herbs in his own world either. Assuming she had no reason to poison him (and if she did, could he really end up anywhere worse?) he took the cup and drank it, pausing to wrinkle his nose at the unfamiliar taste before finishing it off. "Thank you."

She had said she could only heal the symptoms, though, not his actual sickness - and she had no name for it, either. With a sigh he watched her get out the wax, surprised there was more to the process.

"As long as you do not touch below my neck." He guided, leaning his face forward.
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
evie
Well, while she wasn't particularly charmed by the man's bedside manner, at least he was good at taking directions. (Wait, could he even have a bedside manner? That was her job. Bed manner? Patient manner? Whatever. He isn't exactly verbose is her point.) Though she'd tried her best to keep it from tasting like swamp water, it wasn't exactly the best. His crinkled features at least told her that was accurate, though he wasn't over the top in his reactions and didn't curse her out for making it for him. Small mercies.

"You're welcome," she says anyway, polite as always. Even so, her job is not done. He seemed slightly put off by her words stating she could only treat the symptoms, but well...he didn't have to know about the fact that she would soon be curing him entirely if all went well. Hiding behind her little tinctures and herbs was a necessity. He could suffer through her bumbling especially if it meant he was in good health by the time he walked back out of the Infirmary.

His permission is the catalyst for her anxiety. Evie was a splendid actress however and she kept a calm facade in the face of her impending 'performance'. A part of her is warmed by his trust in her though, as she always is when her patients put their health in her hands. Especially considering she still does not know his name, and he has only known her for the amount of time she has been in the room. Not taking it lightly, she steps closer and scoops a small amount of wax into her fingertips, warming it between her palms. As she begins to gently smear it over Abasi's neck and jaw, she tremulously lets go of her ironclad control on her magic. Though she considers it tainted, it moves through her like cool water, seeping out through her fingertips and chasing away the sickness in the man's body. It's a thrill, one she can't help but indulge in, though she knows she'll hate herself for it later.

Only once she is sure her magic can do no more - or perhaps it decides, fighting what it can and bypassing what it can't - does she pull away, wiping her hands clean on her apron and closing up the little jar. "You're all set," she says warmly, smile pulling at her lips. "Do I get to know your name now?" It was the least she wanted, after all that hemming and hawing.
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi

The wax was applied to his skin and while Abasi knew it was for his betterment, he still drew in a tense breath; perhaps it was best left unexplained why he hated to be touched so, but he had to hold back a terse remark every time her fingers moved to a new part of his face. Still, over time the treatment did seem to work; while he did not feel completely cured he felt allieviated, as if it had lessened.

"Did I not -- ...I suppose I did not. My name is Abasi. Son o-- ...Just Abasi." He introduced himself, not being able to face his father's name being met with confusion and silence again. "And you who healed me, what is your name? I cannot repay you at this time, but when I am more able to do so I shall make sure you are rewarded." He had nothing here. Not the fine jewellry or rare alcohol or interesting curios he'd had back in Egypt. Just himself, and he was self aware enough to know that was not much of a gift.

"And you do need to be thanked, for I do feel...relieved."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
evie
Evie's shoulders relax in tandem with the lines in the man's face. No matter how strong her anxiety about using her magic on patients and the constant threat of others knowing of her magic, it was always - always - worth it. There was so much in her life that Evie couldn't fix. Powerlessness was an old friend, constantly looming over her shoulder and laughing in her ear. Though she despised her nature, she could not despise the way it helped people. Even if she could not help herself, she could ease their pain, brighten their days, send them off better than they came to her. It was rewarding.

When she feels she has done as much as she can with her magic, she withdraws her hands swiftly, aware of the man's tension at her touch. At least she is finally rewarded with a name, stumbling though the introduction is. Isn't that a curiosity, too? Still, Evie isn't the type to pry despite her gnawing curiosity. If it appeared more harmless perhaps, but whatever he evades seems too dark to selfishly stick her nose in.

"Pleasure to meet you Abasi," she says warmly, a smile finally returning to her face and chasing away the focus and anxiety previously residing there. "My name is Evie. I help out here on occasion, but I also have an apothecary if you ever can't find someone here." She knows Phoebe is oft too busy with her female clients, and the Infirmary was not always fully staffed. If he didn't feel like encountering another stranger - as he obviously seemed from the moment they'd met - perhaps he'd trust her enough to seek her out in her own territory.

A flush comes to her face at the prospect of a reward, and his insistence that she must be thanked. Evie only keeps her hands still and not flapping about in denial due to years of etiquette training pounded into her head. She can't keep the red from her cheeks though and allows herself to nervously push her hair behind her ear. "There's no need for that, it's kind of you to think that though. Knowing you're feeling even a little better is payment enough," Evie assures, regaining her mental footing as she speaks it softly, not wanting to offend the man if he placed much value on such things.
Undertaker

Change author:
Abasi

Abasi could not remember the last time anyone had told him it was a pleasure to meet him. This did not particularly sweeten him to the woman, though; if anything it made him suspicious she was trying to soften him up. Still, he nodded at her name. An odd one, to match her appearance and accent. "I see. I may come for your assistance again then, if this illness returns."

She insisted again that he did not need to give her a reward and well, he was not going to bend over backwards for it. If she did not want her work to be appreciated, so be it.

"Then I will be on my way." Not that he had anywhere of note to go. "I am sure you have other patients to be treating. I have heard many are sick at the moment."
Evie Ignatius
the Evergreen

Change author:
evie
There is a clear sense of departure to his tone, the way his body moves, the far away gaze he pins on her. Evie doesn't let herself feel regret for not leaving a better impression. The time between them has clearly been decided as finished. Such is the life of a healer, of many in her position regardless of title. Sought out when needed, and sending them on their way posthaste.

Her loneliness crawls like sick at the back of her throat, acidic and pressing. She swallows it down with a tight smile and ignores the taste of solitude that she has existed on these past few months. He is the first Evie has interacted with since her self-imposed exile, and though she's reluctant to depart from his presence - no matter how stuffy and regal he is - it's not like she has any way to object to it.

"You can come here anytime, for anything." It's all she can think to say without losing all her pride. She frowns contemplatively and nods, aware of the Blight that has been spreading like a resistant weed among the people. "Unfortunately yes...stay safe, Abasi." A simple request, but one neither of them can realistically follow. Not now, and not in Caido. But the thought and the meaning behind it is what counts. And she smiles and gives a little wave of her hand as he departs.