My Bad
For Amalia
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
Roana had gone fairly quiet in the recent weeks, but that didn’t mean she wasn’t around. She had spent the time coming to terms with her heartache, first for her husband, second for Ronin. Grief had a way of being all consuming, and even the strongest of people succumbed to it. But slowly, she was pulling herself back out of it, having decided to visit her sister in law at her new college. What she found had been a shock, one that pulled her out of her rut and back into reality in a dizzying way. But what the little, sick midwife had spent weeks studying in vain, Roana pieced together in a few moments.

Funny how that works.

The former captain forced the midwife to go home and rest, entrusting her to a handsome but somewhat skeevy fellow she claimed to have some relationship with. She filed that bit away for later though and headed straight to the baker’s home. Once before the door she knocked loudly then rested her hand on the hilt of her claymore, waiting impatiently. This was going to be awful. But Amalia had told her to do something. Here she was. Doing something.
I hate to break it to ya, babe
but I'm not drowning
there's no one here to save
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
Amalia
don't make a shadow of yourself, always shutting out the light
It is scarcely a day since they left the Spire, and already the baker is back to work, ever comforted by routine, by the things she knows she knows. Stopping means seeing the things yet unfinished, realizing how much still needs to be done. Despite their recent triumph Amalia knows it is not enough, and that she does not yet know what the next step is.

The only thing she knows is how to bake.

She is working on a braided loaf when the knock rings through the shop, sharp and loud and unexpected, making her stutter and start. Wiping her hands on the starwhale apron, the girl slips around the counter, Jyoti crooning over her shoulder as they go to greet their guest.

It may be that Amalia is never happy to see Roana enter her vicinity, but at least she does not wince as the door opens to reveal the soldier, her claymore on her hip. A frown still draws between her eyebrows, marring her angular face a little, but she does not shout or sulk or snarl, simply nods at the unexpected guest. "Roana," she greets simply, stepping back to allow the woman to enter the store. "What can I do for you today?"
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Roana stepped in when she was bid enter. Amalia didn’t need to make a face for her to know she wasn’t terribly welcomed, she knew it the case regardless. ”Amalia.” she said in greeting. She glanced about the bakery, for a moment wishing she were a bit more welcome here. Jax would surely be in heaven to spend time in a place like this, his love of baking already well developed. But as Amalia spoke, her bright blue eyes locked onto the baker again, putting her wishing aside to focus on business.

”You can come with me into the woods. Phoebe has contracted the blight so she was forced to tell me what she knows of it. And I am pretty sure I know what it is, or at least where it came from.” she said, tilting her head to consider the young woman. ”You told me to do something. So here I am. Have you gone into the Spire again with Remi and crew? Phoebe mentioned that you were going after the poisonous plants.” she asked.
but I'm not drowning
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
Amalia
The soldier wastes no time in reaching her point, and Amalia listens silently as Roana begins to speak. Her expression clouds with every word, curiosity and frustration and alarm in her expressive face. Phoebe's illness is news, but after seeing Kiada earlier that morning she cannot say she is surprised to learn that others are sick as well. Too many... her heart aches for the sweet midwife, for her friend, for everyone else who is suffering because of the Voice's sins.

The question makes her blink from her reverie, remembering yesterday's triumph as though a distant memory. "Yes- yesterday. We killed the plants. All of them are dead." So perhaps that will stop the spread, but it does not point to any cure. Roana has knowledge, or so she claims, which is more than most can say these days; Amalia latches onto that idea, stepping behind the counter to swiftly finish folding her loaf. "What do you think it is? And what are you going to do in the woods?"
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
The former captain nodded, glad to hear the attack on the toxic plants had gone well. She wasn’t fully convinced that the plants themselves were the cause, but it certainly couldn’t hurt. As far as what she thought the blight was? Well…she didn’t want to just out herself on that. ”Phoebe explained to me that the blight itself behaves much like Ascended blood, in the way it attacks living things, but it’s much more volatile and unstable, and clearly looks different, as though it was tainted. Ascendeds can start on fire when exposed to sunlight. The Spire Demon was an early Ascended, one that suffered an illness from being in the sun too long, and its venom was black and inky.” she explained, mapping out her thought process.

”I was bitten by it and I can say it certainly has negative effects…but I was saved by an antidote made by Isla. That said…I don’t know if the antidote actually rid the poison from my system or just nullified it.” she explained – a point that was important to touch on. ”Phoebe also explained that Frey said the blight began at the Mathair…which was the first place I appeared after going through the portal at the base of the Spire – wounded, bleeding…” she frowned and shook her head a little. She didn’t want to be right. She didn’t want to be the cause of the blight but…she may have spread it in some way.

”So I am going into the woods to see if my blood causes a plant to become blighted…then I plan to pray to Ludo in hopes we might regain Isla’s memories on how she made the antidote. Perhaps Phoebe can take that to Frey and we can come up with some way to inoculate the unblighted.”
but I'm not drowning
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
Amalia listens silently as Roana begins to explain, her expression growing more concerned with every passing word. She remembers discussing the Blight with Ronin, remembers wondering a similar thing: if the Blight was carried through the portal, if the warrioress had been the harbinger of this new doom.

There is no satisfaction in learning she may be right.

Amalia continues to work as Roana speaks, finishing up the braided loaf through muscle memory. She knows about the Demon, that it too was ill with blight; she knows about the Ascended catching flame when exposed to light. She does not know about Isla's cure. That there may be an antidote makes her heart quicken; sharply the Shield glances up, sucking in a breath.

The rest - Roana's blood, Phoebe and Frey, inoculation and defense - it can wait. There are actionable words from the soldier at last, the echoes of do something ringing between them. Suddenly Amalia does not dislike the other woman as much as before. Suddenly there is hope.

With the ghost of a grin and determination in her eyes, Amalia nods her head. "Okay. When do we leave?"
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
He ghost of a smile that curves Amalia’s lips surprised her, causing Roana to tilt her head slightly to the side. She had expected to be berated about how awful of a person she was again, possibly spreading the blight from the Spire to the Greatwood, given another elongated speech about how awful Outlanders were. But she was spared, and instead given a nod of affirmation. Miracles truly did exist it seemed, for only a miracle could get the baker on her side she thought.

”Well, my boys are currently being watched by Phoebe so I was hoping now. I don’t want her to have to put up with their nonsense long in her state.” she said, eyeing the unbaked loaf that sat on the floured countertop. That had to proof or something or other again before being baked, right? ”If you bring something sweet for Ludo, I’ve got a toy.” she said, pulling out a little puzzle game with different painted squares on it.
but I'm not drowning
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Amalia
I was hoping now. Amalia nods again, moving the loaf onto a board and covering it with a cloth. She can put it outside to proof, let the cold slow down the natural magic, and if it is ruined, so be it. There are bigger issues at stake now than a simple loaf of bread. "Alright. Give me a minute."

Disappearing into the back of the shop, Amalia becomes a flurry of activity. The bread is left on the rear porch; she springs upstairs, changing swiftly, a baker's garments discarded quickly in exchange for exploration gear. The Amalia who descends back into the shop is dressed in pants of hide and a top of wool, a green cloak pulled around her shoulders, her leopardess' feet bare. In her right hand rests a crimson saff; on her left arm is a silver shield. The treats are already in a bag slung low on her back, and the starwhale coos happily beside her, ready for an adventure.

"Alright," Amalia says to Roana, her almond eyes dark and serious. "Let's go."