a walk in the dark (open)
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

Though he’d just come back, Loren desperately needed to escape again.

Between caring for Beatrix and Jace, his reunion with Ronin, his encounter with Remi, Edy’s death, Zariah’s disappearance, and all the other things that had happened since he’d shown his face around here again, his was on his last nerve. He’d known coming back would be hard, the hardest thing he’d ever done, and he didn't want to risk another meltdown so soon after the last one. Maybe if he had a better explanation for what happened to him—beyond him having a mental breakdown and basically going feral—it wouldn’t have been so bad. But he hadn’t so he’d been forced to face more judgment and scorn than he knew how to deal with.

So he’d come back to the outskirts. Obviously it wasn’t permanent: his time as a scavenger and outcast was over. However, after spending so long on his own, being around others was a constant struggle. Every now and then he’d need to come out here and meditate, or something, otherwise he really would go insane again. Well, actually, he wasn’t sure he was entirely sane these days, so maybe it was a question of more or less insane.

He was walking a wide circle just inside the scar that marked the former barrier. A tangleweed tumbled its way towards him; Loren frowned, and with an effort of his will and magic and a wave of his hand he telekinetically batted it aside as soon as it got too close. It recoiled, and started rolling away. While he’d been lucky enough to escape their clutches most times, once was enough, and he had no interest in dealing with them ever again. He watched it go before resuming his trek. Other than that, the outskirts were oddly peaceful, as if the land itself was hushed as it prepared for night and Deepfrost both. Indeed, there was a nip in the air that made him shiver, pulling his cloak tighter around him. But other than that, it was quite pleasant to be out here, left to his own devices, with no one to worry about for himself for just a short and blessed moment.

It probably wouldn’t last long, given his luck. No doubt someone else would be along shortly to ask where he'd been and get mad at him for his disappearance. At least that would be better than those who viewed him with suspicion just because his family. Maybe he should change his name.

LOREN
Brought back by satisfaction more times than the cat
Annabelle McLaughlin

Age: 28 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: 5 - Dext: 17 - Endr: 8 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Wolfsong Offline
Change author:
MP: 280

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
OR DID I KILL CURIOSITY?
What a day this had been!

Skruffles wandered the outskirts of the Hollowed Grounds, a cheerful expression on her face. She'd woken up in the strangest place and had no idea how she got there. Not the first time. Reminded her of when she'd woken up against that wall with a bloody head. She had no memories before that either.

Oh well! Time to start over again, again!

As she skipped along the ground, making a face every so often as she wasn't used to wearing shoes of any kind, she saw something go rolling across the ground in front of her. She gasped and jumped on it, crushing it beneath her and covering herself in bits and pieces of plants.

"Ack! she sputtered and quickly tried to clean herself off. After that was finished she looked in the direction it had come from. A person stood there. He looked human. And he didn't seem afraid of her at first glance. Maybe he's friendly!

"Hiya!" she greeted with an enthusiastic wave.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:

A voice spoke up behind him, and he sighed. It was basically right on cue: just when he’d reach some semblance of peace and quiet, someone had come to disturb his serenity. Of course, given everything he’d put his friends, family, and loved ones through it seemed right that he should do some penance. He just wished he didn’t have to do it all the fucking time.

Still, he clung to the harmony he’d just found as best he could as he turned to see who had found him. Thankfully, it wasn’t anyone he recognized and he found himself relaxing imperceptibly; reunions were the worst for him, and the less of them he had to do, the better. The strange woman was short and slight, with brown eyes and striking long white hair. Loren definitely would have remembered her. “Hello there,” he said in a polite tone.

Unfortunately his eyes soon zeroed in on the remains of the tangleweed strewn on her and her clothes. “Oh, sorry! I didn’t mean to send the tangleweed your way. Here, let me help you with that.” He moved forward and called upon his meager supply of healing magic: his hands glowed a soft sky blue as he passed them over the spots the weed had touched the woman’s skin. “There, that should do it. Let me know if anything feels numb, though, okay?” Stepping back, he stood there awkwardly. “Oh, right, I’m Loren.” Nervously he ran a hand through his hair. Ever since coming back the Launceleyn had felt like he was stepping on eggshells around people. Hopefully he’d get over it soon.

LOREN
Brought back by satisfaction more times than the cat
Annabelle McLaughlin

Age: 28 | Height: 5'4" | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
OR DID I KILL CURIOSITY?
He thought it was his fault that she was covered in the plant? He must not have seen her pounce on it to catch it. She shrugged and smiled when he apologized. And soon her eyes widened in amazement as he healed her skin of any scratches she'd received from it. Someone like her?

"Oh! You're an Axion then? Humans can't do that kind of stuff so you must be," she nodded affirmatively. There was no other explanation.

And then an introduction. Perhaps he would be her friend? "My name is Annabelle, but people call me Skruffles. I like that a lot more. So you can call me Skruffles too!"
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren
not afraid to use every trick in the book

When the strange woman called him an Axion, Loren paused. He’d been a lot of things over the course of his life—what with the whole being shuffled off to multiple worlds thing—but he couldn’t say he’d heard that one before. “Uh...no?” He was also unfamiliar with the word human, but apparently they couldn’t do magic. He stored that away for later. “I’m an Abandoned.” Every time Loren said the name of the race, he felt even worse about himself; who were these gods to decide who was and was not worthy. But again, a problem for another day.

Despite being a weirdo, she seemed nice enough. “O-okay, An- I mean, Skruffles.” Odd name, but then again his own name wasn’t exactly common. Glancing around at the darkness, Loren wondered how long he’d have to talk to her before he could politely leave. “So...what brings you out here Skruffles?” Getting her talking seemed much better than actually speaking; Loren had been doing more than enough talking lately.

Annabelle McLaughlin

Change author:

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
OR DID I KILL CURIOSITY?
"Abandoned? You were abandoned? No wonder you're out here all alone. That's not nice of them."

She wrinkled her nose at the idea someone could abandon someone else. That was just horrible.

"I came over here to explore. I wasn't here the last time I was awake. Last time I was sleeping at my house in the Megacity. This is definitely not the Megacity. But I like it. The air is cleaner."

She rocked back on her heels, almost slipping on a damp rock. "Whoa!" She exclaimed before righting herself. "So you're out here because you were abandoned? Who abandoned you? You should tell them it wasn't nice."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Obviously this woman—Skruffles, he had to remind himself without laughing, since it was a ridiculous name—was even more clueless than Loren was. He hadn’t known such a thing was possible. “No, I was not abandoned.” Well, he had been, but it had nothing to do with his race, and he had done his fair share of abandoning, and...all that was a distraction and besides the point. “I’m AN Abandoned. That’s what they call people who use magic in this world. Caido,” he belatedly added, as if to make the explanation more sensible.

Loren just stared at Annabelle (yeah, he wasn’t going to be able to keep a straight face if he kept thinking of her at Skruffles) more perplexed than he’d been in a long time. “What is the Megacity?” It was probably another world, given the context, but it could also be a region of Caido Loren hadn’t seen yet. There was a lot of this world that was a mystery, especially to him.

Then she was back to the Abandoned thing and he raised his hands as if he could physically stem the flow of words. “No, I...like I said I’m not Abandoned. I’m fine! I was just out for a walk.” Lowering his arms, the librarian tilted his head at the woman. “You came to explore, you said? Where’d you come from?” Maybe Loren was being a bit paranoid, but Annabelle really was odd. And generally speaking, Loren didn’t trust anything Odd.

Annabelle McLaughlin

Change author:

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
OR DID I KILL CURIOSITY?
"Caido. That is definitely not the Megacity. The Megacity was my home. It had streets and giant buildings and skyscrapers and hundreds of glass windows. And people didn't walk everywhere. They ride in mobiles. But I could outrun them. When I woke up here I couldn't run fast anymore. And my ears were missing. This place is strange. We don't have plants everywhere back home. And KNIGHT isn't chasing me everywhere."

She tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Axions have powers like that back home. But you said it made you Abandoned? It must be the same thing."

She held her head for a moment, as if all this information was giving her a headache.
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

The description of the Megacity was beyond Loren’s understanding. Having no idea what a skyscraper or a mobile was—and being incapable of calculating the cost of a city of glass—he simply nodded along. Then Annabelle started describing her life in her old world and it got even more confusing. Loren did a double take, but far as he could tell she had two normal ears, sitting right on either side of her head where they were supposed to be. Again, weird. “Uh...sure.” His mind was nearing its limits when it came to processing new information. After this, he’d need to find a nice quiet place until there was more room in his crowded thoughts.

One statement stood out from the rest. He frowned, more concerned than confused now. “Wait, who is this knight and why are they chasing you?” Although their surroundings seemed clear of any threat (beyond the usual danger that lurked in the outskirts), Loren scanned the area around them just in case. His magic came at his bidding, ready to be unleashed at a moment’s notice. Absently, he responded to her comment about Axions versus Abandoned, eyes and ears to busy scanning the night to be paying much attention to the conversation. “I don’t if it’s the same or not, and, as I told you, I’m an Abandoned, not abandoned.” Not in the way she thought, at least.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw her clutching her head, as if she was pained; seeing as he was already on high alert, he was there in a moment, healing hands extended to her temple. “Are you alright?” His question came out softly. If she said no, he was taking her to the infirmary. Given that his chances for a peaceful night walk had been shattered, there was little reason to stay out here.

Annabelle McLaughlin

Change author:

CURIOSITY KILLED THE CAT
OR DID I KILL CURIOSITY?
She smacked his hand away.

"You'll need to forgive her. Skruffles is an idiot." She picked the rest of the plants off herself as she continued. "Now, I'll explain it. Clearly the things in my world don't exist here yet. KNIGHT in my world is the law enforcement. Axions, like me, commit genetic treason by merely existing. But I have other crimes under my belt. Don't ask.

"An Axion, in my world, is a person who has powers, or magic, as you refer to it here. So, essentially, an Axion in my world is an Abandoned in this world. Coming here stripped me of my abilities. Apparently I'm something called an Attuned now. I used to have cat ears, cat's eyes, claws and canines. I had superhuman speed and I could control the wind. I could run so fast I broke the sound barrier. Here? Its all been stripped away. I have no idea how to access my 'shift' as it was called."

She finished picking the plants off her clothes and crossed her arms. "So to answer your question, no, i am not okay."
the Firebrand

Change author:
Loren

Loren had absolutely no idea what was going on here. One moment, Annabelle had been a kind, if somewhat dim, young woman; the next, she smacked away his hand and started going on in a no-nonsense tone about life in this other world, using terms and words that the librarian had never heard of before. Axions and KNIGHT and something called the sound barrier, it all blurred together in his mind. Annabelle did a good job explaining it, but the Launceleyn simply didn’t have the proper frame of reference to understand it all.

One thing did become clear, and he found himself zeroing in on it and speaking before he could stop himself. “You can’t just tell me you’ve committed crimes and then expect me not to ask about them. So what did you do to set this,” he hesitated just slightly,” these knights on you?” Maybe if she was wanted by the authorities she wasn’t someone Loren wanted to associate with.

Lowering his hands and releasing his magic, he studied her thoughtfully. “I can’t help you with your shift. But...I’m also still learning about this world.” Once again, he cursed his soft heart for making him think he could help people in their time of need. Whatever Annabelle had or had not done, the Launceleyn hated to see people in pain.