Finding the Balance
Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 6 - Strg: 24 - Dext: 26 - Endr: 24 - Luck: 11 - Int:
Played by: Grant Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Staring straight back at me?
Roana had been quietly watching as things in the Hollowed Grounds grew tumultuous. First Zariah’s reign cut short by the Voice, Edrei suddenly dead, People dying of a blight and pointing fingers every which way – the line between the Ascended and everyone else slowly eroding into a canyon sized rift that couldn’t be mended. With all the in-fighting and out-fighting it seemed few were focused on finding a way to rebalance the world, too encumbered with the burdens of life.

And since the herald of Life was ill and dispassionate towards her, she decided to go speak with the herald of Death instead, which she seemed to get on with better anyways. Not that that was much of a surprise. Death was an old friend of hers, one she did not fear like most. Respected, certainly, but not feared.

Upon reaching Ludo and Mort’s shrine, she placed down her offerings. First was a toy scythe Cormac had helped make (by which the narrator means Roana made while supervised by a very authoritative 6 year-old) from wood and painted (as carefully as a young child can) to look like the real thing, the name ”Soul Catcher” written in shaky letters along the handle. The second was a puzzle box Rhett had meticulously jumbled, inside which were little chocolates Jax had made with Phoebe. The three boys very much enjoyed making presents for Ludo, and so they always put their best toddler effort forward.

”Ludo, if you might spare the time, I would like to speak with you…and Mort if he would like to join as well. It is mostly about the Voice…and I brought you some toys and treats as well.” she said warmly, hoping the young god would show themselves to her.
Why is my reflection someone
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:

"Toys and treats and pesky not-goddesses. Why, you are so generous, sweetling." Ludo drifted down from the trees like a blanket, its porcelain mask a gleeful smile of anticipation, and one of its rags snatched up the puzzle box right away as it settled before Roana. Giving the box a shake and hearing the treats within, even as another tendril of cloth plucked up the scythe, its attention was all but stolen.

"And what would you know about the Voice? Over and over again, to the cobbler and the gunman, I have expressed the solution to the problems she causes. Cull the Ascended. And lo, but nobody listens."

LUDO
Braved the forests, braved the stone
Braved the icy winds and fire
Braved and beat them on my own

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Age: 35 | Height: 5'8" | Race: Accepted | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana smiled upon seeing the young god descend to the shrine, its smile shockingly radiant compared to their last meeting. ”I have three sons who love to make you presents, so I have a lot of help.” she said with a light laugh. Help was sort of figurative though – toddlers crafting was more work than doing it all on her own. ”Jax and Rhett said once you open that you can send it back and they will refill it and reset the puzzle for you.” she said of the box as Ludo shook it to hear the truffles bouncing within. ”And Cormac is struggling to understand the difference between you and a piece of lore about a Grim Reaper from our homeland, so he made you a scythe to help you catch souls.” she said with a grin, shaking her head a bit.

The former captain tipped her head slightly, listening to Ludo’s counsel with seriousness though the motherly look never quite left her eyes. She hummed low and thoughtful, considering their words. ”And we shall, if it comes to that. Or I shall at least.” Death did not bother Roana like it ought anymore. She killed many in the line of her duty. But… there was a fine line between killing because one must and murderous intent. ”I am not certain it has though. I’d like to propose an alternative solution, but it would require all of the Old Gods to cooperate…and I hoped you might help me refine this idea to one that would find the balance for everyone, if you would hear me out?”
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

"Refill it? But first I must work out what is inside!" Giving the box another little shake, Ludo tucked it away in the void of its rags so it could better listen to Roana - undoubtedly she would find the puzzle box empty on her windowsill one day soon after. "The Grim Reaper," it repeated, puzzled as it waved around the scythe. "Wheat does not have a soul," it said simply, before lowering the toy and accepting it nonetheless.

Whilst it seemed to rally at the idea that Roana would finally do what it had been suggesting all this time, Ludo soon grew a few degrees chillier. A mortal suggesting a plan, petitioning all of the gods as though they were part of some meeting for her to call? Perhaps the scythe would have a use after all.

"Go on," it said without emotion.

LUDO

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
"Indeed, and when you do it shall be refilled with a new puzzle to try." she said with a smile. The Grim Reaper seemed to puzzle Ludo, and she was wasn't terribly surprised by that. It wasn't part of Lore here. "Well in this case the Reaper does not use it to cut down wheat but people. They both cause death then ferry the soul away to the afterlife." she said. Hence the scythe, to pull the soul from the body. "It does make you look much more ominous though." she said with a grin.

But the chill in the air at her question was a definite warning. As young as Ludo's soul might be, they were still a god, and she did respect the power they had. She held her hands up, as if in surrender. She truly meant no offense, only seeing if her idea held any merit. "If it cannot work, I understand, and I appreciate your thoughts and counsel. I only wonder if there might be a way from the Voice to be bound, held by the direction of the Old Gods. Not as she was inside the barrier, but as subservient to you all." she said. She paused for a moment, collecting her thoughts. "I just...if there is no other way to reign her in, and allow us all to coincide, I will do as you say." she said softly. The mantle of death was not one easily worn but she was not unaccustomed to it. If that was the only recourse, she would execute the gods orders.

She just needed to be sure there was no other way.
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Perhaps the future would see Ludo adrift in the moonlight, wielding a toy scythe and pretending to steal the souls of crops... but tonight was not that night. (Unfortunately). It listened intently as she spoke, and her supplication did much to soothe an ego easily bruised, a personality as fickle as it was childish. "It has been tried before," it said.

"The containment of the Voice and her ilk was a last resort, not a first attempt. Binding, reasoning, subservience and more - all were tried before war became inevitable," it explained. "Do not attempt to barter, for she will turn you to the ways of her 'bright ones' if given half a chance. We cannot afford to allow the Ascended threat to continue to grow."

LUDO

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
If any were equipped to handle the fickle personality of a childish being, it was Roana, who combated such personalities on a daily basis. She was glad to have managed to mend whatever hurt she caused with Ludo, and listened intently as the deity spoke, lips pursed in a light frown as she did so. Even if she herself was convinced that the soul of Ludo was a child, she would give them her full respect and attention. A god child was still a god after all.

She nodded to Ludo's warning about bartering, but knew herself well enough to know it not be needed. "Rest easy knowing my mind is not so easily swayed by pretty words and promises. But I will take extreme caution should I encounter such." If bartering needed to happen, she could probably manage fine, having taken part in enough military negotiations to identify a snake in the grass when she saw one. When people promised grand, wonderful things, unbelievable things, they ought not to be believed. Life was harsh and death was inevitable. That was reality. Anything that dared contradict that was foolish and dangerous. "I do not know the nature of your previous bargains with her but...would picking off her Ascended lead her to begin negotiations? Are they precious enough to her that she would grow so desperate? Or if the Ascended grow so desperate to survive that they begged her to make peace, would she bend?" she asked, a new thought forming in her mind. The Voice had already proven desperate enough to call people from their worlds to free her. She was, at some point, human, and humans could be pushed to such ends. It was a tactic well often used in war, with great success in her experience.

"If so, I would humbly offer myself and my blade to the name of Ludo and Mort to undertake such an operation. I would say the old gods as a whole but...something in me doubts your divine kin might not wish death carried out in their names." she said with a small smile.
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Roana responded to its warnings with more bluster and more ego, and Ludo became yet still more subdued in the soldier's presence. Fine then, its posture seemed to say. Barter with a goddess anyway. I'm sure your mortal comprehension will fare wonderfully. "Yes, I believe she would grow desperate enough to negotiate if her tools are damaged," it said. "As to whether the Ascended would turn on their mistress... it is not something I have considered."

The offering of a blade, of a life, of a soul to death... that was becoming more common as of late, it thought. Not that it didn't happen all the time everywhere, of course, it was just rare to be there personally. First Jigano, now Roana. Ludo nonetheless bowed its mask in acknowledgement. "Your blade, you say? Why not a scythe?" The toy scythe reappeared, Ludo waving it about.

LUDO

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana was more accustomed to having to vouch for her abilities in the face of those higher than her - a woman did not end up where she had been in the Northwind military without constant reminding of one's superiors of their abilities. But as Ludo stilled, she made a mental note that perhaps such was not necessary with a god. She supposed they could see all she was able to do without her needing to say it.

As it was, she had no plans to speak with the Voice. She would avoid that as long as she could. Her goal was to push her towards bartering with the gods not her.

Her head tilted slightly as the scythe reappeared and Ludo waved it around, a small smile curving her lips. She glanced down at Krosis, thrumbing her fingers over the hilt. "I suppose no real reason. This sword is all I've left of my father and it was forged to be particularly useful against Abandoned." she said, shrugging a bit. "But perhaps a scythe that is made for culling Ascended is more apt in this situation. Would you like that?" she asked. If Ludo wanted her to fight the Ascended with a scythe she could. It was just a bladed staff really.
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Ludo swooped down close to Krosis as Roana mentioned it, poking and prodding at the blade as if to test whether it really was suitable against Abandoned. "It is a sword," the god said helpfully, as though that was meant to mean everything to the woman who stood before him. "If you would fight the Ascended, and if your small ones believe that this stealer of corn-souls is a weapon worthy of the job, then I think I would like that, yes." It bobbed its head in a nod, holding the scythe close.

"I can make such a weapon, but I will not do it for one who is not serious. Prove, Roana Steadman, that your fight against the Ascended is not simply bluster. And then you will be equipped accordingly for that task."

LUDO

Roana Steadman
Soldier

Change author:
ROANA
Who is that girl I see
Roana smiled, holding the oversized claymore still for Ludo to inspect. "I am glad you think so." she said, proud of the blade on her hip, and happy that the young god thought something of it too, as vague as that something might be. As far as the scythe, and what her boys would think of it, that made her laugh a little. "Oh, I am certain they will love the idea." she said with a grin. Their mom, weilding a scythe like what they had given Ludo? Yep. They'd be in a tizzy of excitement over it.

Prove herself? Actions over words it seemed was Ludo's preference. She could understand - words were easy, actions more difficult. Her lips pursed as she considered quietly, nodding slowly after a moment, a plan forming in her head. "I will do my best to prove myself worthy and committed." she said.
I don't know?
Spooky Rags

Change author:

Giving the claymore a little more inspection before surging away with its scythe tucked under a rag, Ludo turned to face Roana. "Ideas are nothing until someone does something about them," it pointed out, though it seemed satisfied that, for now at least, they had come to an agreement. Bobbing its masked head in a nod, it drifted back and away into the trees.

"Go, then. And do just that. Return here when you think you have done enough, and can forge the path ahead." Without further ado, and feeling very chuffed indeed with all of its presents, Ludo fluttered off and was gone.

LUDO