reverbs no hollowness
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415

Once more Loren came to the shrine of the gods. Maybe it was unusual that someone who’d grown up in a land without them—someone who was Abandoned, no less, by more than just the gods—would be willing to come here more than once, with no uncertainty or fear in his heart. But the Launceleyn had almost nothing left to lose save that which he was perfectly willing to give up. He was an empty vessel, stripped of all emotions, ready to be filled with whatever might be necessary to save others.

Besides, he’d always been subservient to those in power. His family had served the king, and he personally had served those in leadership to the best of his ability. And once upon a time, his best had been, well, the best. The best of the Launceleyns, at least. But while there were royals here (and Loren knew and would serve them), no one could deny that the gods were the true powers of Caido. Whether or not they wanted Loren among their followers was a moot point: he was here, and he was willing. Usually, though, that wasn’t enough, especially when it came to him, but it was all he had to offer.

He’d come back to the shrine in the woods, the peaceful serenity of it calling to his damaged soul. This time, he’d not only brought milk and honey, but stone animals—no larger than his fist—that he’d created with his magic. There was a bird, a deer, a fish, and even a unicorn and a dragon. Tiny though they were, they were made with painstaking attention to detail. Each was colored brilliantly: the bird’s plumage was a riot of red and blue and yellow, the scales on the dragon and the fish shone with a silvery gleam, and even the deer’s fur and antlers were crafted with an eye towards being as lifelike as possible.

Honestly, he had no idea if the gods would even like such trinkets (especially because they were made with his magic), or the food. But it was all he could do on such short notice. And they were indeed running out of time. Ronin and the others who were blighted only had a season left, if Loren understood them properly, and seeing as Leafchange was nearly over that was very little time indeed.

The now familiar stone circle of the shrine came into view, and he paused at the center, setting down his meager offerings. Remi and Ronin both had mentioned that others had been in contact with the gods already, and that there were plans afoot. But both of them had a nasty habit of putting others before themselves; Loren should know, having both the same inclination and knowledge of the two men, however outdated. They’d feel it was only them that could fix this, only them that could make the necessary sacrifices. And since Loren had been gone so long, they wouldn’t let him help.

But they couldn’t stop him from doing so in his own way. So he knelt, and took out his belt knife. Slicing a line across both palms, he placed them on the stones in front of him: blood was always the most potent resource for his magic, and he knew it was integral in many ancient rituals. While he didn’t know if it would work here, it was worth a shot.

He bowed his head and closed his eyes. Last time, he’d sent out a general call. This time, however, he would see if a specific entreaty would serve him better. He reviewed all the names of all the divine beings the others had mentioned, and settled on the one that Remi and Ronin had sought out. While Safrin might have no great love for the Abandoned, and Loren particularly, any god that the king and the alchemist called upon had to be something special.

So Loren poured his whole being into the invocation. “Safrin, hear my prayer. I come to you not on my own behalf, but on behalf of others more pleasing to you. I come on behalf of Ronin, and Remi, and all those struggling against the blight, that you might guide me and show me how they can be saved. And I come to you on behalf of those who fear the LongNight, whom I have sworn to protect.” There were other things he wished to ask, but those two were most pressing. Besides, he figured bothering a deity was a very, very bad idea. And most of what was left carried at least an element of selfishness. He was trying to avoid that at all costs.

LOREN
Brought back by satisfaction more times than the cat

Age: 7 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin/Moderator Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

The goddess was dying, much as any goddess can die. And who are you, to call down the stars and pledge protection you can't possibly provide?

Maybe that is what the goddess thought.

Or maybe she merely hadn't heard.

Hadn't wished to waste her breath on an abandoned.

Had already given what she could, to those she cared for.