back to normal, if it ever was
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
Loren thought back to his conversation with Jigano. The summoner was planning to relay most of that information to the alchemist, but it seemed one piece of information might be good to say now. ”A conscription? Seriously?” He shook his head before continuing. ”I think those who suffered would feel safer with a pardon in hand. At the very least, it would be a gesture of goodwill from the new rulers that might go a long way towards settling any lingering unrest. And, if she returns and tries to seize back control, it will be harder for her if the laws are struck from the books.”

However, when Remi admitted that Zariah just declared herself queen, Loren had to actually shut his eyes and take a few deep breaths. Otherwise, he definitely would’ve said something he would regret. ”Of course she did.” There was a heat in his words that he tried to get rid of, but wasn’t entirely successful. ”So let me get this straight. No one asked for her to rule them and she just declared herself queen out of the blue? Surely you didn’t need leadership that badly” In fact, it sounded like people actively opposed her from the start, so it was worse than no leader at all.

Except it sounded as if the other man had supported her reign. Loren had to physically bite his tongue to stop from saying anything that the alchemist might construe as critical. Remi probably deserved such an admonishment, but the apologetic smile he sent Loren’s way indicated the alchemist knew he’d been mistaken; given that the librarian had suffered at Zariah’s hands as well, it never occurred to him to defend his cousin. Of course, all the anger bled out of the summoner when Remi revealed Zariah threatened the alchemist’s husband and child. ”Oh Remi. I’m sorry.” The librarian’s hands clenched into fists at the knowledge that his cousin had stooped to threatening children.

If she ever came back, she’d have to go through Loren. And he would do everything in his power to prevent her from hurting his old and new friends again. He owed them all that much, at least, for not being there from the start.

So the leadership structure had begun in the revolution then. Loren considered that, and how to respond to everything he’d just heard, fingers drumming a beat on the surface of the book he still held. ”Please don’t take this the wrong way but...the leaders who serve the people well during times of strife and warfare and revolution are not always the same ones who serve best during peace.” He held up a hand to prevent Remi from reacting poorly to that statement and indicate that Loren wasn’t quite done speaking. ”I'm not saying Ronin is not capable of doing both, because he is. But...perhaps it’s worth speaking to Amalia, before everything gets finalized, see if she’d be willing and able to lead.” It was better that than force Ronin into something he didn’t want, but felt compelled to do because of duty, misplaced or not.

There was an idea percolating in the back of Loren’s mind, one that might solve their leadership crisis, but he wasn’t sure he, of all people, should be the one to suggest it.

That was the second person who’d mentioned surveillance of the manor. ”Did Edy mention how, by any chance?” Probably not, but it was worth asking. Setting up an office at the guild hall was out of the question; mixing government and business sounded like a terrible idea to him, though many did it. ”I guess a temporary structure at the Temple would suffice. They should construct something more permanent in the warmer seasons, though. However I agree that it should be up to them. Feel free to pass along any and all of my suggestions to them. I would suggest you refrain from using my name if you do.” Again, as a Launceleyn he knew he was the last person anyone wanted political advice from. Except maybe for Remi, but the other man readily admitted he was too trusting.

The librarian wanted to ask more questions about the venom and its effects, but then Remi growled and Loren got the impression the manticore might be getting tired of being used as a test subject. No matter: now that Loren had seen the other man’s mythical form, the summoner could run his own tests. As Remi shifted to his original form, Loren made sure to commit what he’d just seen and heard to memory. Then the alchemist suggests a game and Loren tilts his head, not particularly amused. That was definitely not happening. ”Fun as that sounds, I think we both have better ways to spend our time.” Loren’s voice came out in a drawl again. Then, however, he blushed, and rubbed the back of his head awkwardly, looking down at his feet. ”Besides, um...touch.” It came out in a mumble, but hopefully the alchemist heard and understood, even without enhanced hearing.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Level: 15 - Strg: 68 - Dext: 62 - Endr: 101 - Luck: 93 - Int: 3
ORIA - Mythical - Spriggan (Ghost)
Played by: Odd Online
Change author:
MP: 3059
all our lives i watched you search beneath the fallen skies
"Yes. It was all very Northaven of her. Permission for gatherings needing royal approval, oh, and of course, no going into the Greatwood without permission." Remi chuckled. They didn't have a wall, but a tyrant could be just as effective. "Zariah thought we did. The barrier had just come down and...well. It is not like the Launceleyns to not have a crown to serve. So she made her own."

The alchemist watched with a pale and distant stare as Loren's fingers balled into fists. "It was the one thing I said she would not do...that she would never stoop to threatening a child." He admitted, guilt and regret heavy in his words. "And then...she did. What was worse? I was already helping her. I saw some good in what she was doing, and was willing to continue, for a time." It was truly something the alchemist couldn't wrap his mind around. He couldn't think of a time when he'd ever really threatened someone, but he understood the principle of it. But to threaten someone like Remi? The only one capable of aiding her? The only one potentially powerful enough to stop her? The alchemist shook his head, smile sad and wounded.

"Mmm, Wessex said as much once. That she would be a better ruler in times of war than of peace." Remi said, exhaling a breath he hadn't realized he'd held. Loren wasn't wrong, a government of Amalia and Ronin had all the hallmarks of success, regardless of Remi's selfishness in wanting his husband away from all the political strife, not to mention constant visitors in the middle of the night.

"No. It was Jigano who told us. The Sage, former guildmaster of the Loreseekers." The alchemist clarified, not aware the two men had met. Raising a brow consideringly, Remi was forced to nod slowly. Much as he might want to argue that it really should come from Loren, Ronin was not in the best season of life when it came to forgiveness. Wessex though...she had seemed to like the Launceleyn's ideas. 'I suppose they will just have to take my word for it that all of these wonderful ideas simply came to me." He snorted.

Crossing his arms, Remi shot the summoner and unimpressed look. "You keep saying that. All the ways in which we might spend our time." He said, brow raised. Watching Loren look away only made Remi more committed to his idea.

"Surely that does not apply to animals." He protested.
Speaks with a thick Italian accent.
Force and magic can be used against Remi without permission.
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
Loren sighed, and rubbed his temples. The more he heard about Zariah’s actions, the angrier he got: the fact that she was beyond reach and could not answer for them just made it all worse. ”The Launceleyns serve the crown. We are humble and loyal servants. It is not our place to rule, and we should never strive to wear the crown.” His voice came out heated, with a surprising amount of venom in it. It was also surprising how he clung to that one lesson, while rejecting the rest of his family's teachings. The fact that his cousin, the one who’d been staunchest in her adherence to the old ways, who’d passed it on those the next generation even, had forgotten that one central tenet filled him with a fury that threatened to overflow.

After all, what was all of it for, the torture, the torment, the horror that had been his upbringing, if not for that one fact: obedience, pure and simple.

And then it just got worse, as Remi continued to explain. The librarian took a deep, shuddering breath. ”It’s not your fault. You were trying to make the best of it, see the good in what she was trying to build. You had no idea how terrible, how irrational she could become.” Again, the summoner couldn’t help but think how much would be different it all would've been if only he had been there. He met the other man’s eyes. ”But I promise you this. If she ever dares threaten you, Ronin, or your child, or any child, ever again, I will strike her down myself or die trying.” Loren had never taken a life, not even in anger. However, in that moment, he knew he could. Doing what was necessary for the good of the many was hard, but it had been drilled into him since birth, despite his nature as a healer and a light mage.

He took a long moment to calm down, aided by Remi’s own relaxation. ”If Wessex thinks she is better suited for war than peace, than let her serve in that capacity. Find a way for her to guard those of the Hollowed Ground without building a full army that we don’t need. In fact…” Loren bit his lip, not sure whether the alchemist would agree with what the Launceleyn would say next.

But if he didn’t say it now, then maybe no one else would, and it might be too late soon. They had a chance here, not just for the two of them and those closest to them, to make something beautiful out of a tragedy. ”If I understand you correctly, we’ve already established something other than a monarchy here, multiple times, with multiple power structures. And the people did not ask for a queen, though after one seized control they asked for a king.” Looking down at the ground, the librarian tried to articulate what he was trying to say in a way that the other man might understand. Remi had always had slightly archaic ideas about government. ”I know the council back at Northaven was dysfunctional. But...I think that was more to do with the people than with the structure.” Finally, the summoner looked up again, hoping the alchemist wouldn't laugh at this idea outright. ”If we cannot find the right person or couple of people, to lead us, then why not find the right group of people? Find more, who are willing to serve, and find out where they are useful.” The librarian held his breath as he waited for a response.

It was totally radical, and half-formed, and likely doomed to fail, Loren knew that, especially coming from someone like the Launceleyn. But he’d had a lot of time to think, in this strange new world. Had done nothing but think, for the past year, and reconsider what he’d once known. About himself, about others, about the world. Mostly what he’d thought about was escaping the chains and shackles, both literal and metaphorical, that had tethered him to a past and a heritage he did not necessarily want. And here, where he was free from the curse that blighted his bloodline, the one that forced him to serve or die, and furthermore commanded by Remi to dream even when the librarian didn’t think he was capable, Loren thought he could see a path forward.

He just didn’t know if it was the right one, or if anyone would follow him on it.

Well that sucked, they had the same source. ”Yeah, he’s the one I heard it from too. Oh well.” Unfortunately, the summoner didn’t know of any way to block or detect surveillance if it was magical. Maybe if it was through more mundane means, the spycraft he’d somehow picked up from his father would serve him well. As Remi went on to make a self-deprecating joke Loren gave the other man a pointed stare. ”Yes, like you’ve never had a good idea before in your entire life.” The Launceleyn’s voice positively dripped with sarcasm. Obviously they'd accept it from the alchemist, in a way they never would if it came from the summoner.

Remi could shoot Loren all the unimpressed looks in the world. It wouldn’t change how he felt. ”I don’t think I need to tell you, of all people, just how precious a resource time is.” Not now, given the struggles they were going through, given how little of it they had left. The summoner had already squandered his time, and his chance for a better life, though he’d somehow been given a second one. He wouldn’t stand here and let the alchemist do the same.

At that response, Loren’s head shot up. ”I don’t think of you as an animal.” His voice was shocked: while it was technically true that the other man changed shape, he was still a person.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Age: 31 | Height: 5'11 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Torchline
Change author:
'Humble?" The alchemist repeated, with a reserved note of incredulity in this voice. Powerful? Sure. But humble? No...no the Launceleyns never really seemed to be that.

"No." Remi agreed in that same dark and shadowy tone that was so unlike him. "No, I did not." Glancing up as Loren made his threats, the alchemist considered the man before him solemnly for a moment. His smile was sad, especially in light of the atrocities that he and Ronin had recently committed. A man had kidnapped their child only days ago, and where was that man now? Torn asunder by the elemental storms, but not before he had been by the king's fists. "Mmmm. Whatever is left of those who try, you are welcome to." The alchemist said gravely, a darkness rarely seen sparking halos across his shattered vision.

"The people?" Remi said uncertainly, shaking his head. There had been no vote. Just a group of them in a basement, deciding the fate of the entire Grounds. "The resistance group of us was small...only a fraction of the population." He admitted slowly, uncertain about undermining that which propelled Ronin to power, but feeling helpless beneath the obvious honesty of the situation. As for what came next? Remi did laugh. Or at least, chuckle slightly, head shaking continuing in earnest. "Ronin already things a dichotomy of power is bad enough. That nothing will get done if there are too many to answer to."

Whether that was an argument against a council for now, or forever, Remi didn't know. Sliding a hand up his arm, the alchemist shrugged lightly at the summoner, wishing he had more to offer. "All things to bring up to Wessex and Ronin. I...I am not equipped to be the mouth piece of this." He added with a wistful sigh, knowing well that Loren did not want the duty, but knowing implicitly that he was not the right one to bring these ideas forward.

"The one good idea I had, I proposed while Ronin was concussed. So you tell me." Remi chuckled, cherub-like ease and innocent awash across his features as he grinned.

Remi pinned Loren with a look, not that he was wrong, merely because the alchemist was feeling unduly mischievous. "Well, you would be more than wrong about that. I nearly killed a man once as a lion, because I could not control my instincts. And you know about the feathers in my hair. As an animal I...I am not this. Besides. You are a mage. You would not even know. So close your eyes."
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
The doubt in Remi’s voice made Loren come to his senses for just a moment. ”Well, we’re supposed to be. What, am I not humble?” And then the alchemist had to go and ruin the librarian’s oath and dramatic statement by making an even more ominous one. He looked at the other man, startled: while the Launceleyn had known Remi had changed, it was still shocking and somewhat disturbing to hear such evil words from the otherwise gentle man. After all, the summoner knew he had darkness in him, but had thought the alchemist was better than the librarian. Now he knew that Remi might have a touch as well. That saddened Loren, somehow, as if something pure and bright had been forever sullied.

The other man didn’t get it, and the librarian lowered his head, wishing he had could find a way to make the Remi understand. ”So you never found out what the majority wanted?” As the alchemist admitted that Ronin already thought two was one too many, Loren frowned. ”But he doesn’t necessarily want to lead. And it sounds like Wessex might not either.” He puzzled over the problem of not allowing the responsibilities to fall through the cracks because there were too many opinions, and yet not allow another Zariah to rise. ”Then put one, or even two people in charge. But don’t allow them to have absolute power.” How that might be arranged—especially here in the Hollowed Grounds—the Launceleyn didn’t know. But he couldn’t shake the feeling that it was important from his mind.

”Then I’ll write it down for you.” It came out a bit too quickly, and Loren sighed, running a hand through his hair. ”Remi, think. If I go to Wessex and Ronin and suggest all these reforms, they’re going to think it’s just another Launceleyn power grab.” Though the alchemist clearly had no head for politics, he wasn’t an idiot. He should be able to see the implications if they were clearly spelled out for him.

Well that statement didn’t make a whole lot of sense, and the look Loren gave Remi should hopefully communicate that. ”And just what idea did you propose?” It would be hard to tell the other man much of anything without more information. Granted, giving a suggestion to a concussed man didn’t seem like such a good idea to the Launceleyn.

Neither did what Remi was currently proposing: Loren crossed his arms, tucking the book under his elbow, and shook his head. Especially after the alchemist admitted he had a tendency to lose control when he shifted forms. "But you didn't kill him. And what wouldn't I know as a mage?" The alchemist wasn't making a whole lot of sense, and the Launceleyn grew a bit concerned for the other man. Hopefully the stress wasn't getting to him, but if it was, no one could blame him. ”There is absolutely no way I am going to do that. Come on, let’s go back inside.” Seeing as Remi had shown the summoner the whole turning into a manticore trick, there didn’t seem much need to stay out in the cold.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Mm, I thought I was not allowed to judge you unless I had seen the attributes myself?" The alchemist countered slyly. Indeed, love it might be said, had sullied the otherwise sunny Remi. Optimism, unfettered and wild, had gone away when those closest to him had told him he was not worth their affections, their memories. Sam, removing all memories of his love and time with Remi, had done that. And Loren? Loren who had been seen with rose coloured glasses that might have remained forever, had left too. Ronin, for all that he was, had left. He'd come back, to be sure. But death was inevitable for them all. Only Aoife was without fault, and it was for his starry-eyed daughter that Remi would indeed die. That he had already killed for, and would again.

"No one asked. It all happened so fast and it certainly seemed like those present represented the majority.." Un-elected officials perhaps, or so they would be had the alchemist the language for it. "Ronin.." Glancing up sharply, for the first time a splash of regret sloshed across Remi's face. Had he said Ronin didn't want it? Or only that the alchemist hadn't wanted it for him. "Ronin wants what is best.  Wessex..." Well. The same could not be said. She did seem like she wanted the title. "..is strong. Better in war to be sure, but a natural. Born here, raised here. A voice of the ascended." What that was worth these days, in light of Sam's revelations, Remi wasn't sure.

"How is that different from what they have now?"

Blushing in adorable earnest now, Remi fumbled slightly before looking down. Dimples deepened across his cheeks as unblemished joy finally shone back through. "Marriage." He said with a low laugh. "Ronin and I...were almost nothing. Not really. But he came home, having been recently concussed at the Spire and...despite my grand plans for what a proposal might have been like..." The alchemist shrugged. "He asked me to hold his hair back if he threw up, and I asked him to marry me."

"Well, what it is like to shift, for one thing." Remi countered smoothly. Biting his lip and offering a conciliatory shrug, the alchemist nodded. "Mnmm. Well. After you, then." He offered with a shrug.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Remi might have had a response already ready, but Loren shot back his own reply swiftly. ”When has that ever stopped you from trying to see the best in me or anyone else?” It was both a blessing, for those the alchemist chose to help see the light within them, and a curse, for those the other man failed to see as truly evil. However, helping Remi see the difference wasn’t the librarian’s job. His only task here was to make sure that the alchemist didn’t put the summoner on an undeserved pedestal, or have the other man come away from here thinking the Launceleyn was anything but a tool. And one to be used sparingly at that.

They’d muddled through it all without thinking, and now they were stuck. ”What if it only seemed that way, and was not true in fact?” The librarian still wasn’t sure if Ronin and Remi had spoken of Loren’s reunions with both, but it hadn’t necessary seemed that the king was content with his position. Then again, the summoner was going off half-remembered and out of date information. ”I know he wants what’s best. But that doesn’t mean he wants to lead. It might just mean he feels he has to.” The Launceleyn spoke in a gentle and patient tone, hoping he hadn’t really pissed off the alchemist. As for Wessex, well, not knowing the woman herself, Loren could hardly pass judgment on her as a leader. So he’d trust the other man’s evaluation of the queen.

Then Remi asked how what they had now was any different from what the librarian was suggesting, and Loren had to think long and hard about the answer. Although he knew he should probably just remain silent, especially given how protective the alchemist was of his husband (very understandable and admirable), the summoner responded with the only answer he can think of. ”Because...who is there, now, to tell them no, to stop them, when something they do is wrong, or misguided, or out of line? To strip them of their position if they act in a manner that harms the people they’re supposed to serve. I’m not saying Ronin and Wessex will do anything like that. I don’t think they will. But whoever follows them might not be so benevolent. What then? Another violent revolution?” Maybe Loren was being naive and optimistic and not actually realistic, to think they could have anything more than a simple monarchy, or duarchy; however, that’s what Remi told the librarian to be, and so he’d be that, especially when the alchemist couldn’t. ”Look, we have a chance here to build something that will last beyond the current moment, that can survive both good leaders and bad, both times of strife and times of peace.” Just setting up a government now due to who they thought could lead in the present moment was incredibly shortsighted.

However, Loren wasn’t going to press this point too far, especially if the other man would continue to be close-minded. Instead, the summoner just looked down, shoulders slumping. ”Look, I really don’t know the situation well enough to give advice. And I am not a political expert, whatever you might think. But…you asked for my opinion, or at least implied you wanted to hear it. If you’d rather I say nothing at all, I’d rather that as well.” He couldn’t keep having the alchemist shoot down the Launceleyn’s ideas because Ronin wouldn't like it, or because there were no other easy options. Sometimes, though, doing what was right was hard. However, while the librarian enjoyed being useful, found value in it, that didn’t mean he liked being thrust into the position Remi had inadvertently put Loren in.

The Launceleyn wished he’d never asked Remi for details, because listening to their proposal turned out to be too much for the librarian. Although he was already looking down, he turned away slightly, scuffing at the ground to avoid running from the spot. Just because he was making an effort to be okay and to be the alchemist's friend and nothing more didn’t mean he could stomach hearing the story of their betrothal. When the other man finished speaking, Loren was silent for a long time. ”I-I’m happy you both found each other, and that it worked out.” He hated how pathetic his voice sounded in that moment. And he hated that it was basically the same response he'd given to Ronin.

”That’s fair.” Still, the librarian was recovering, so he only looked up when Remi agreed to go back into the manor. Seeing as Loren did not yet fully trust his voice, he simply nodded and turned to start walking back to the entrance.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
"Since you told me not to?" The alchemist chirped back with a snort. "I am not so sure humbleness is necessarily the best thing in someone though." He added with a shrug, giving Loren an appraising look. "In fact, I do not think you humble. I think you know precisely what you are capable of in most cases, and what your worth is. That you obfuscate it sometimes is...not a mark of humbleness." Softly, subtly, Remi's eyes shifted to Loren's arms. Covered now, but still the scars were there. No, it was not humbleness that held the Launceleyn's tongue or made him hide his abilities.

"Is wanting to lead a necessary requirement?" The alchemist asked, genuinely curious. It probably helped, but it seemed to him they were placing an awful lot of emphasis on what Ronin wanted, rather than what the greater good needed. And as it always had for the alchemist, the needs of the many usually did outweigh the needs of the few. It was why he gave so much of himself, at all times.

"Each other, I suppose." When Edy was around, at least they could have a 2/3 vote. Now with just Wessex and Ronin, the alchemist wasn't sure at all what would happen in the event of a stalemate. "I know that they have...divided up their responsibilities so that they are focused on different things." He offered, as if that might help. "We?" Remi might not have been humble either, though in his case naive was a better descriptor for what he in fact was. "If only you were saying these things to those who were in a position to listen." The alchemist suggested with a mischievous sarcasm. "Ronin, Wessex..Amalia, Deimos, even Jigano." All were in a position to be leaders, many of whom had led before. Remi was merely a sounding board, and a poor one at that.

"Mmm. Assuming he does not die." The alchemist said dryly. "Not that it would be the first time." He added with a low groan that teetered off into a sigh.

As Loren turned to skulk walk back into the manor, the alchemist couldn't help but grin. "Loren! A raccoon!" He called playfully while rushing towards the summoner, jumping, and shifting in midair. He hoped having called out indicating a relatively un-bothersome and small creature wouldn't receive a ton of worry on the Launceleyn's part. Then again, having no knowledge of Loren's summoning abilities there was a less than 0 chance it would all go wildly bad. If it didn't (or even if it did), the raccoon would aim to wrap itself around Loren's neck. The alchemist had been worn as a scarf many a time afterall.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Yeah, like Remi would actually listen to a word Loren said. So when the alchemist said the summoner had asked the other man not to judge without knowledge, the librarian just snorted. ”Humility can take many forms. And it’s certainly better than pride. When I said we were supposed to be humble, I meant that we were not supposed to reach above our station.” That surely had to be a form of humility. As for Loren himself, well, he just shrugged when Remi accused him of not being humble. It was probably true: the summoner’s list of faults was longer than most. But he had his reasons to keep his secrets to himself. Most importantly, though, he didn’t know what he was capable of, not anymore, for a variety of reasons.

”Not necessarily. But I imagine loathing the job won’t make it any easier. Which means the work itself will suffer.” And the people could always tell when a leader wasn’t strong, or ready, or prepared to take on the responsibilities of their station. It sounded like Wessex and Ronin had a system, now that Edy was gone, and Loren was getting tired of trying to meddle in a situation he didn’t want to be involved with to begin with and knew he didn't fully understand. It didn’t help that all his comments were rejected pretty much out of hand. Still, when the other man expressed confusion, the Launceleyn had to speak up. ”You have Ronin’s ear, so whether you care to admit it or not, whether you mean to or not, you influence his thinking and decision-making.” And if the alchemist hadn’t already thought of that, thought of how he might be affecting the policies of this new and nascent kingdom, then he really was naive.

This was getting them nowhere. ”If only you were actually listening to me. I told you I would write this all down for you. Or for them directly if you’d prefer. But no one will want to hear it from my lips or with my name attached except for you.” Seeing as the summoner had already explained why that would be a very bad idea, he didn’t know what else to say to convince Remi.

Then, of course, the small spark of annoyance melted away at the reminder what they were all striving for to begin with. ”He won’t die. The two of us are too stubborn to let him.” And Loren was willing to pay whatever price necessary to keep those more worthy than he alive, safe, and well. And he knew that Remi felt the same, although the summoner imagined they had very different opinions of the alchemist’s worth. As for coming back to life, well, they wouldn’t rely on it, because from Ronin’s explanation it seemed to be a one time offer. But if Loren had to go toe to toe with the god of death, and find something to appease that divine being, the librarian would. Or at least he’d never stop looking.

Unfortunately, the warning was not enough. Oh sure, Loren HEARD the utterly perplexing statement from the other man, but the summoner didn’t have a chance to understand what it meant. And when he turned, all he saw was a blur of brown and black and teeth and claws. His mind thought ‘THREAT.’ In that split second of confusion, the Launceleyn’s training took over and magic exploded out of him

A manticore—twin to the alchemist’s own form—would appear directly in the path of the raccoon, its mouth agape, ready for the tasty morsel, just waiting for Loren’s command to snap.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
No linguist, the alchemist was happy to let the issue fade away with little more than a grin. "If you say so." He hummed with an easy shrug.

Oh the one hand, yes, Remi really was that naive. On the other? "I may have many parts of Ronin, but his ears?" The alchemist gave the Launceleyn an uncomplicated stare. "Not always. Not when it comes to politics. We...have not spoken about it, much." He added, sighing softly.

Hearing what he perceived as a note of frustration in the summoners voice, the alchemist ceased his attempts at coaxing Loren into taking a more active role, and merely nodded. Biting the inside of his lip he averted his gaze, wondering how it was he'd ever once negotiated conversations with this strange man. "Alright. Having it written down would be helpful." He said at last.

"Mmm, indeed." Remi hummed softly, though there was little enthusiasm in his agreement. Not even at the beginning had the alchemist been swayed by platitudes or empty promises of success. Now? With even less time and more dead ends than he could count? He had little time for it. And much as he genuinely was willing to start a relationship anew with the Launceleyn, placing trust in him as he once had, would take far more time than Ronin had left.

Well. Given that Remi had already been rather close to Loren when he'd jumped and shifted, and given that, if the manticore really was a twin to Remi's own shift it was nearly 3 meters in length....well. That more or less placed the flying raccoon almost directly into its open and waiting mouth. Oops.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Loren did say so. And he had a lot more to say on the topics Remi kept bringing up. Seriously, the other man could not possibly be this thick, not after he’d displayed brilliance in so many other ways. The Launceleyn stared at the alchemist, totally incredulous. ”Remi, come on. You don’t need to speak to him about this directly. A passing conversation or comment might make him feel or think differently before he has to make a decision about something. Even something as small as that can influence how he governs. And that’s not even getting into the people who will try to get you to intercede with him on their behalf, or the people who will try to earn favor with him by helping you with something. And the people who will come after you just for being associated with him, to use you to get to him somehow.” Whatever the alchemist might want or feel, he now held enormous power and not just on a personal level, but on a political one. If he failed to recognize and accept that, it could be disastrous, and if he couldn’t accept it, he needed to talk to Ronin about it.

If the librarian could hear the other man’s thoughts, he might have commented that their conversations were always more like arguments than anything else, each trying to push the other to be the best version of themselves. As it stood, however, Loren was just grateful when Remi finally relented. ”I will organize my thoughts and my points more coherently and send them to you. Then you can present them to Wessex and Ronin and anyone else you feel might make sense. And I will come in to set up an office for the king and queen in the temple if it would be helpful.” Again, however, the Launceleyn himself would not be engaging in politics; even if he personally had no interest in it, he knew his name was disqualifying at the moment.

Apparently Remi and Ronin both were pessimists about this blight. That was understandable, given all they’d been through together—the king had already died once, after all—but it was worrisome. Sometimes, hope made a difference in the end. However, it just redoubled the summoner’s determination to do everything in his power to find the cure they were all so desperately searching for.

Thankfully, Loren’s mind caught up to his senses a moment before he was going to order his creature to bite down. Frantically, he banished the manticore (which vanished in an instant and with no warning) and sprinted forward, praying to any god that would listen that he hadn’t just hurt or killed the other man. ”Damn it, Remi, I’ve been trained to react to threats and surprises with lethal force. Why the fuck would you do something so reckless?” Fear made the Launceleyn’s tongue perhaps a bit sharper than it should’ve been, but he really was worried for his friend’s life.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Tugging in a breath, Remi merely shook his head in the face of Loren's rising incredulity. What he was suggesting was a sort of manipulation. Harmless—helpful, perhaps—but it simply wasn't the way the alchemist's mind worked. Biting the inside of his lip and offering the Launceleyn a conciliatory half-smile that still belied some of his confusion, he started somewhat at the notion people would come to him for things. They did that already; but of a political nature? Looking properly uncomfortable, Remi ran a hand through his curls shooting the summoner a disbelieving look. "I..." Exhaling a weary breath, the alchemist sought out Loren's gaze wishing desperately to find humour there. But as with nearly all glances between the two men, it was free of amusement.

"Thank you." Lowering his eyes and feeling somehow that he'd lost something important along the way in this conversation but not knowing what it was, he merely nodded a rather solemn acceptance.  

Flailing in midair with a body possessing none of his feline acrobatics, the raccoon shut its eyes tightly as it flew towards shiny teeth and a tongue that he knew from personal experience was barbed and rough. And then there was...

oh. Just the ground.

Looking up with dark eyes and viewing the summoner upside down, the raccoon let his head loll to the side, tongue sticking out of its mouth. Dead, probably. Loren would have to pick it up to be sure.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Of course Remi hadn’t thought through the implications of what being married to a king were. The other man was wonderful in so many ways, but when it came to the ways in which people manipulated and plotted, he was totally blind. His naivety and open heartedness helped him in a lot of situations, but in this particular instance Loren knew that if the alchemist didn’t wise up, it would cause problems down the line. Still, the summoner said nothing further on the subject: Remi already had enough to think about, both with all the crises on their hands and with what the Launceleyn had already said.

There was no need for thanks, but still, Loren nodded in acknowledgement. Already, the librarian’s mind was considering how best to phrase his recommendations so that they’d actually be implemented; Remi had clearly shown that he had no head for politics or governance, so the Launceleyn would need to make sure his writing was persuasive enough that even the alchemist reading it would be convincing.

As the raccoon thudded into the ground, Loren realized with a sick feeling that, no, this was not a raccoon—or not just a raccoon—this was Remi. And he was not moving. As the summoner’s heart pounded in his chest, he knelt frantically, hands glowing with a healing light as he reached for the other man. All the while, a babble of nearly incoherent words streamed from the librarian’s lips. ”Come on Remi, don’t you dare fucking die, Ronin will kill me, you’re tougher than that you stupid alchemist, I didn’t come back just to kill you, please please please don’t be dead, please don’t.” Burying his hands into the raccoon's fur, Loren poured as much healing magic as he could muster into the raccoon, praying all the while to any god that was listening for a miracle.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Remi Taliesin
the Bastion

Change author:
Remi couldn't tell if everything hurt more because his body was so small, or if it was because his injuries were many. In any case, soon the pain seemed to bleed away entirely as warm hands pushed deep into his fur and light billowed through his veins. Sucking in a deep breath, the raccoon's dark eyes slowly fluttered open to see the summoner close above him, whispering curses and idle threats, all wrapped up in worry.

Squirming ever so slightly, the raccoon let its body relax as the healing continued. Eventually, when all felt as it should be, the small creature made an 'okay' gesture with its dexterous little paws.