took the stars from our eyes
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580
I belong to you the way the moon belongs to the stars
The world is being saved by life.

Vi's gift, his blessing, his purpose weights on her, the promise of another dawn, a day without the blight. It is not today, but it is coming, and Amalia is hopeful- more hopeful than she has let herself be in days or weeks, more hopeful than she has dared to feel since she watched her goddess crash and fall, a comet through the blackest night, a brilliant thing too soon snuffed out and left as but a shade.

She has been haunted by that day for months, dreamt of it in her darkest nightmares, remembered it when she was alone. Like a crushing tide it has rested on her shoulders, pushing her down into the earth, drowning her in the wave of despair, of guilt, of ineffectual sorrow.

No more. Today Vi has given them purpose, given them hope, and there is one above all who Amalia wishes to see and share her relief with. That Safrin has already been cared for is obvious to the baker's mind: she does not think herself a hero, that she has any role in celestial affairs. Vi would have mended Safrin's blight the moment he was able, she knows.

No, Amalia seeks her goddess out in simple celebration. Having planted a rose at the foot of the shrine, the girl shifts back to mortal form and sits upon her heels, staring up through tear-damp eyes, a smile on her face. "He's doing it, Safrin," the girl whispers, her fingers ghosting gently across the ivory marble stone. "Vi... I thought you might like to have one of his flowers here. Beside your shrine."
the stars in your eyes will bring me back
and once again, i will kiss the sky
AMALIA

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: - Strg: - Dext: - Endr: - Luck: - Int:
Played by: Admin Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
SAFRIN
"Foolish." Clenched teeth. Comets shattering in the frozen wasteland of space. Eyes clenched against weariness.

Safrin is there, hands white with tension, sitting atop the shrine. With eyes so dark now that Amalia's seem to pale in comparison, the deity all but sneers, looking down. Her eyelashes drip with sludge. "Are you so naive Amalia that you think flowers are going to fix this? That Vi just wanted to wait for it to be cool? That Mort would allow such suffering all for some fucking plants?!" Whether the 'plants' were the blighted ones, or the ones the girl now held, was unclear.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:
As always, the thing that Amalia expects to happen is far, far away from what does.

She does not expect the goddess to appear with hands as white as bone, rage staining her galactic gaze onyx, sludge dripping from her cosmic skin. She does not expect Safrin's tone of voice, the sudden wave of celestial wrath and disdain to be cast out upon her, tearing through her fragile figure like a thunderstorm of glass.

Amalia winces despite herself, her head dropping in pained surprise at the tone of Safrin's voice. Her golden hair is pulled back in a braid, so she cannot even hide behind it; her own dark gaze remains downcast, wounded and confused. Is she not happy? Is she not hopeful?

Is the goddess not yet whole?

That Vi did not rush first to save her is something Amalia cannot consider, but somehow it seems to be true. Swallowing down her trepidation, the baker bites her lip, not sure what she can contribute, how she can possible soothe this wound. "Please..." she mumbles, trying to quell her voice, to drown the agony in her breast. "There is a reason they waited so long, Safrin. And they are doing something now. Do... do you not feel better? Has Vi not come to heal you?"
AMALIA

Age: 3 | Height: | Race: Attuned | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
SAFRIN
"A reason?" The goddess' laughter is harsh, like freezing rain. "Tell me Amalia. Tell me all you know of Vi's reasons."

With the beginnings of a snarl, Safrin's teeth are now pointed an entirely predatory as she bares them with a growl. "Am I better? Why even worry. I cannot die, after all. Just degrade, like so many stars."

HAs Vi NoT cOmE tO HeAl YoU? The deity rises, venom dripping like tears from her eyes. In an instant she is before Amalia. She smells of icy death, endless night, the bleakness of space. "Do I look healed, Amalia." She whispers, near enough to Amalia's lips to kiss them.

To bite them.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
"I don't pretend to know the reasons," Amalia says softly, her head still bowed beneath the laughter which falls like daggers into her soul. "But I trust that he must have them." Just as I trust in you.

A leopard's ears have sprouted on her crown, anxiety giving life to feline features, and a long plush tail wraps around her waist. Her confusion has done nothing to soothe the goddess, and Amalia curses her own stupidity, blinking blackly against her tears. Of course Vi has not yet come - she would not be here, still faded, still ill, if the lord of Life had blessed her. But why?

Again she winces at the venom in Safrin's voice, but her eyes dart up now, taking in the snarl, the sharp and deadly teeth, close enough to snap against her, close enough to kill. "I won't let you fade away," the girl says softly, a hard line of determination in her alto voice. Safin can crush her where she kneels, but the Shield will not back down, will not halt in her protection and guardianship of the deity she loves. "The flower must be able to help- will you touch it? Please?"
AMALIA

Change author:
SAFRIN
"How nice for you, to be so soothed by your ignorance." The goddess snaps, glaring daggers at the bowed head. It would take a mere breath to snap the neck it was attached to and forever end this charade of piety.

"You won't let me fade away?" Safrin repeats, her voice as thin as ice on a leaf. "You? With your mortal soul, your bleeding heart?" Reaching forward the goddess raises Amalia's chin, nearly nose to nose with her now. "Shield, he called you." She whispered then. "To protect me? Or to hide me."

And then, the most ludicrous suggestion of all. A flower. A fucking flower.

"Do you even hear yourself, Amalia? A flower must be able to help. Just a touch mm? And then all is magically better? How nice of Vi to leave them for you, without instruction I presume? Just scattered about his shrine. Not mine, his. He could do all of this himself, he could heal me and have me do it. But no. It is you who is here."

Snapping her teeth together, her eyes narrow. "Tell me Amalia. Have you seen this work? Have you seen the magic so promised to you?"

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
Her fingers are marble on her skin, cold and hard and unyielding, firm enough to bruise. Amalia has never been afraid of the gods, least of all Safrin, but now she feels a creeping terror rising up her spine. "To serve you," the girl whispers in reply, meeting the weeping eyes with her own. "To serve life." Not to protect the goddess, nor to hide. Amalia does not imagine Safrin needs protection, least of all by her.

Yes, she hears herself, but it does not sound so foolish to her ears, clear as they are from blight. Terrified, she does not falter, does not let her dark gaze drop. "This one is at yours." Perhaps that is why she has been named a Shield: for this moment, for this purpose. To protect the goddess from her own dark self.

Have you seen it work? "No," she answers, her ears flicking back, her hands balled at her sides. "I... I came to you first. I have not seen it work, but... how do you know that it will fail, if you do not try?"
AMALIA

Change author:
SAFRIN
"Ah, how nice." The goddess sneers, though Amalia is right. She wants to snap that it should be Vi coming to bring her a rose, Vi coming to heal her, but that is too close to the truth and right now. And that truth will shatter her entirely, and so she swallows it down where it broils nicely in the pit of blackened acid in her core.

"How do I know that the thorn of a rose, carried to me by a mortal, will somehow be my panacea?" Her teeth are like needle-points now. "Because this is not a fairytale, Amalia." Honestly. The God of life, swooping down when the snow falls to blanket the world in roses?

It is as pitiful as it is cliche.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
THE SHIELD OF SAFRIN
i think it's beautiful how a star's light
travels the universe long after it dies
This is not a fairytale, Amalia.

"You're wrong, Safrin." Despite the danger, despite her fear, there is a smile on her face and tears in her eyes as she finally understands. "It is a fairytale. My whole life has been a fairlytale, since you blessed me."

Becoming the leopardess. Finding the library. Fixing the perch. A year of trying, a year of striving, a year of crawling from the dark- it has all led to today. "A girl afraid of the dark, now conversing with stars. Becoming Attuned, seeing the world, finding Jyoti, falling in love- that sounds like a story my grandmother would tell. And I never would have dreamt those things, had it not been for you." Showing a tulmhainar the stars. Making a king.

Being a shield.

All because of her.

"I am a mere mortal. But this past year you... You have let me see that my mortal life is worth something. Everything I am, Safrin, I owe to you and Vi, and I would give it all up to help you." I would give myself back to the dark, if only to preserve your light.

Still smiling, the girl swallows one last time, her glittering onyx eyes never leaving the goddess who holds her allegiance and her heart. "Please, Safrin... Do one more thing for me. Take the flower. Touch the thorn. If it helps... Then all of this will be worth it. My fairytale will have had a purpose.

"And if it fails... I will never ask you for anything again."
That's what I want to be in this world —
someone whose light lingers after I'm gone

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
SAFRIN
"Oh, so your narrow view of the world shapes reality now, does it?" The goddess snapped, her words sending sparks of frigid star shower outwards like spit. "If this is a fairytale, then who is the hero? Is it you?" She sneers, eyes rolling back into her head.

"Ahh yes. The stars. Look at them—" With a hand like ice she grabs Amalia's chin, forcing her gaze up. "So plentiful. So full of light, yes? All there for you to behold. In reality though, there are lifetimes of space between each. You could fly until your lungs froze and your heart gave out and never be able to touch one. You would die if you tried to move from one to another no matter how many lifetimes you give. You see the light in the heavens because we let you. But it is I who lives in the black and empty places between the light. So do not talk to me of stars Amalia. Not of falling in love, not of dreams."

If only to shut the girl up, the goddess snatches the rose away. Starlight trickles up it, blighting it, pouring dark light into it. Blood like oil—black with a prismatic sheen—drips down her palm.

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
THE SHIELD OF SAFRIN
"Is it you?"

It is fortunate, perhaps, that Safrin's hand on her jaw keeps her from replying, the insecurities caught between the deity's pale fingers. Is she a hero? No, not of any story but her own, and even then the results are inconclusive, subject to shifting day by day.

Every word that Safrin says is another slice upon her soul, and the Shield wills herself to bear them, to keep from breaking as she stares up at the stars. Oh, but it is agony, to be reminded of her insignificance, the little she matters, and not in the scheme of things- in this moment now, to the goddess she adores. She had thought she might help, thought she had a purpose, and yes, beneath her crushing anxiety, thought herself beloved. But there are dark spaces between the stars, and even those she will never know.

Too small, too mortal, too weak.

In one thing, though, she may succeed. There are tears in her eyes as Safrin grabs the flower, her blood running black as the thorns pierce her skin. With baited breath the baker waits, watching and praying to all of her deities that something, anything, will come to pass. Vi, please, heal your child- please, please, help her be whole.

If only this works it will have been worth the pain she has had to bear. If only this works her life will have meaning, as small and insignificant as it may be.

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
SAFRIN
For those who are human, the reprieve from the hallowing darkness will last longer. For the goddess, the longest blighted of them and perhaps the worst case in existence, it is a mere breath.

Glaring down at the rose with the intent to crush it, suddenly starlight filters through into her soul. Fractured, stained, shadowed, but for a moment there is light. Releasing Amalia, Safrin pulls in a strangled breath as she looks down at her bloodied hands. "Amalia—" She whispers, fingers immediately pulling the girl against her in a tight hug. "Don't listen to anything I've said. Plant all the roses you can, take none of it to heart. Trust in Vi, and..." Pulling back the goddess does her best to smile. "..find a way to kill me, if I cannot be saved. Do not let me stay like this." Her fingers move to Amalia's shoulders, squeezing. "Promise me."

Coding base by Sky!
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:
AMALIA
THE SHIELD OF SAFRIN
There is not room in her soul for doubt, yet as the Shield looks upon her goddess something like it creeps under her skin. There is wrath in her eyes as she holds the rose, and for a moment the cosmos seem to silence, and Amalia does not breathe. Doubt is poison, doubt is drowning; doubt will swallow up her soul. She cannot have her faith tested, not here, not in this moment. The rose must work, it cannot fail - it cannot fail - it cannot fail -

Then Safrin's eyes are on her, and there are stars in them again, and Amalia feels the crushing weight of her abject terror as it slips away. "Safrin!" she breathes, sobs, prays, the name a hymn choked from her throat as she is swept into the deity's arms, her own embrace wrapping around her with the ferocity of a child. Laughter bubbles among the sobs, happiness and relief that it worked, it worked, and perhaps the world can be saved.

Of course she does not take it to heart (except a little, where doubt has darkened her), of course she trusts Vi (though why isn't he here?), of course she will plant the roses (but will they be enough?). And of course she will-

-will-

-no.

It isn't an answer. It isn't a cure. Again the girl feels herself crumbling as her world crashes down, staring up at Safrin with denial in her eyes. Of all the things the goddess could ask her for this must be the worst. "Safrin I...." Can't, the girl doesn't say, because at the end of th day it does not matter what she can or cannot do, only what she must .

"I promise," the Shield of Safrin whispers, meeting starlit eyes. "I will do whatever it takes to save you from the Blight."

Coding base by Sky!

Change author:
SAFRIN
..to save you from the blight. But that isn't what the goddess had asked for. Not the promise she needed. "Don't mince words, Amalia. No one does it better than I." The goddess reminded the girl. Blackness swirled in the corners of her eyes, her teeth sharpening again as she smiled.

"Remem..b..er.." The hands around Amalia tightened. Safrin's fingernails were like stardust suddenly blast-chilled and sharpened. Throwing herself backwards if only to protect the girl, Safrin simultaneously snarled at her while her eyes blinked a slow apology. "t..he.."

A wracking growl reverberated through the goddess' chest, her eyes consumed once again by black, her smile viscous and cold. Walking to where she had dropped the rose, Safrin picked it up looking at it for a moment with a cold disgust. Then, breathing on it, it turned utterly black, dissolving into a clump of dust.

Coding base by Sky!