Do you know that I know that you know?
For Wessex
Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 10 - Strg: 28 - Dext: 25 - Endr: 27 - Luck: 25 - Int: 1
MIA - Regular - Ragdoll Cat
Played by: lancydulac Offline
Change author:
MP: 0

Samuel
We can leave life for tomorrow
Or grieve all that we thought we’d do
Wessex seemed to like his readiness to take on the plan, which made Sam feel good (as much as he could, at the moment) though that seemed destined to swiftly end as she mentioned that the Longnight monsters were 'previous versions of Ascended'. "Wait, what? Did the Voice tell you that? Are we...going to become monsters too, eventually?" He asked, clearly alarmed.

Still, at least he was able to do the task asked of him, even if he was going to become a hideous beast in the end. "Oh, yes. I sing to them in Deepfrost quite regularly. Last year with Ronin.." There was a pause for just a second, just long enough for him to wish he had not brought up the name and the associated despair that came with it. "...we sang together and drew one out. But I've done it alone, too."

Or make each moment new
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
WESSEX

Go
deep throat
a cactus

Well. That possibility wasn’t something she’d actually thought about, so the question takes her off-guard. Wessex pauses to consider, going over what she knows of the monsters and what she knows of the current version of the Ascended in her head. “No.” comes out definitively, and the finds she is quite sure of this conclusion. “They were her earliest creations, made when she was still learning what to do. Look at 108. She was made over two hundred years ago, and though she seemed to be lacking in emotions, which is perhaps something our Lady learned to put back in, she was physically and mentally stable.” More or less. More than some of the current iterations, perhaps.

“Look at how She treats us. Differently, yeah? She is kinder with you than with me, and that’s because we need different things. That’s love.” And she does think that the Voice loves them. Perhaps in degrees and conditionally, as even human mothers are wont to do, but she does love them. Not enough to put before herself… but enough to keep from losing themselves like the monsters did. ”I don’t think she would let us fall apart like that. Or keep our fluid from us. That was one promise she gave me.”

So all those fears can fly away now.

At least, she thinks, Sam’s good nature is useful. “Great. Then that’s your main job for LongNight. Go out every night and sing to the Luxere herds.” She pauses in consideration, again. “And if you’re up for it, I have a second task.”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Age: 34 | Height: 5' 5" | Race: Ascended | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:

Samuel
"..I hope so. I never really knew 108." Sam had been avoiding most of his fellow Ascended at the time and he had left the Spire before the appearance of The Core. Frowning, he realised he'd never really thought of the Ascended being something so old as to have hundreds of years of history. Perhaps because there were so few of them, or perhaps because people insisted on referring to The Voice as a 'New God'. The idea of a legacy was once he quite liked, something he could honour with his own talents and find some comfort in.

He tried to just nod at Wessex's next words, which were true, but he thought he could almost hear the because you're soft behind them. Not that that was wrong; compared to the woman next to him he was practically a child.

Singing to the Luxere herds was something he could manage well, at least. Hopefully with the Longnight darkness around him he would be mostly alone, and it would require no violence. "Second task...?" He asked nervously, wondering if the Luxere were the easy lead-up to something much harder.

Or make each moment new
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
WESSEX

Go
deep throat
a cactus

A little more quietly than before, Wessex pauses and clasps her hands together. Briefly considering reaching out for Sam’s hands, she quickly dismisses the idea and settles for just being a less harsh version of herself. Pretend she’s the Voice, idk man.

“I’m going to need you to be brave. You know what our powers are at night, we’re far better suited for it than almsot anyone else. I might need you to help defend everyone from the monsters. Use an amulet with Loren’s power to help summon more luxere. Or a sparkbird. Something like that.” She doesn’t know what this LongNight will throw at them, but she has a feeling they’ll need all the help they can get. And that means that Sam will have to step up. His friends might need him. And he will need to restore their faith in him.

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
The almost gentle words coming from Wessex were jarring; Sam was not used to the tone in her voice that he could hear. He did listen though, nodding until he came across something he did not understand.

"Who...is Loren?" He asked, the name meaning something to him in the back of his mind, but nothing he was able to properly put his finger on. Something to do with Remi, maybe? Either way, he certainly did not have any amulets from such a person.

Or make each moment new
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX

Go
deep throat
a cactus

That’s what he takes from the request? Who’s Loren?

Wessex is about to throw her hands up in exasperation when she realizes she just needs to leave the Safe House. This is a roundabout conversation, and while she thinks she’s making strides with Sam, some part of her also condescendingly thinks that if she let him, he’d keep her here all night. “Loren Launceleyn. The man with summoning magic.” Everything else about him is either inconsequential to Wessex or unknown. Or both.

“He’s not the ‘let us drink’ type. So Remi’s magic-holding amulets are the best way to have a small, but ready supply in case we need it.” She glances up, to the ceiling of the safe house that she wishes were the sky instead. “Questions?”

Samuel Wordsworth
Book maker/seller

Change author:

Samuel
Sam could sense Wessex was irritated (what was new?) but didn't know why. He nodded along, when she asked if he had any further questions he chewed at his lip and considered. He did, but not any that were particularly pressing or that he thought Wessex would want to answer. Questions like: Did you want to be Ascended? or Do you think I deserve to be here with you?

"No, no questions. I understand what you want me to do. I...I will try my best. Thank you for talking to me." Forcing a smile, Sam nodded at her.

Or make each moment new
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
WESSEX
after all is said and done
you're just a carnivore
let you in and drink my blood
you're nothing but a monster

Wessex nods as she turns to ascend (ha!) the stairs. “Thank you, Sam. All I ask for is some effort. And some faith.” She pauses, one foot on the stairs, looking at the normally rather weak-willed man. She has seen some improvements in him, and she’d rather let the mysteries of why and how stay mysteries, if he continues on that vein. Whatever questions remain on his tongue are perhaps best kept for another time. “If you say it's important, I'll be there, ok?”

Like it or not, they're family. And Sam would prove that again - so perhaps Wessex can take it a little easier on the guy every now and then.

{Fin!}