thicker than blood
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
For a while, Loren had assumed that the reason he hadn’t seen Beatrix and Jace around the Manor was because she was still mad at the summoner for his long absence, and had simply been avoiding him and sneaking food from the pantry. He’d been willing to wait for her to come to him, since forcing himself on her would probably just make her hate him more. However, then Deepfrost and the snows had come, and he’d grown worried enough to actually look for his half-sister and his nephew. So he’d looked. And looked. And looked. And after going through every room of the Manor three times, he’d realized that the children hadn’t been staying there at all.

And then he’d panicked. He’d rushed down to the Notice Board to pin a message there, begging anyone to give him information about his missing relatives. It was only when he’d returned to the Manor and paced in the entryway that he remembered exactly what he was capable of. He could find anyone, anywhere, so long as they weren’t hidden through supernatural means. At least in theory, and right now he was desperate enough to try just about anything.

However, even frantic as he was he managed to keep his head; he threw together a pack with extra clothes, food, water, everything he could think of that cold and starving children might need. Then he ran out into the snow, Astra on his tail and called upon his magic: a hound appeared, more shadow than fur, with eyes of greenish fire rather than any mundane substance. It was a fairy hound, a beast of the Wyld Hunt, and no prey could escape it. And Loren immediately commanded it to find Beatrix. Because where Beatrix went, Jace followed.

It ran off and he was hard pressed to keep up given the snow on the ground and given how out of shape he was. Unlike the hound, he was weak and mortal, but desperation gave his limbs a strength he didn’t know he had. He felt his lungs burning, but just spurred himself to greater speed as he saw the hound disappear into the Ruins. Although his heart sank and his fear spiked at the thought of them lost and alone in such a dangerous area, he charged ahead regardless, too concerned for the children to worry about his own safety.

Soon enough, the hound came upon a crumbling building and halted, sniffing the air. Loren skidded to a halt, Astra right behind him, making a concerned grunting noise. ”Beatrix! Jace! Are you there? Can you hear me?” His voice was breathless, and he barely managed to pant out the words, but they carried in the still darkness.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 2 - Strg: 10 - Dext: 10 - Endr: 22 - Luck: 5 - Int:
Played by: Vee Offline
Change author:
MP: 655
BEATRIX
Beatrix and Jace indeed had not been living in the Manor. They were the children of a former queen. What if the new one wanted to kill them so her reign wasn't challenged? What if people that didn't like their mom decided they wanted to get rid of them too? The Manor was the first place they would look! So after Edrei has died, Beatrix had made herself a little fort in the ruins. It was a survival shelter just like her mom and Aunt taught her to make. Snow was packed up around the cracks of the structure. Rocks and snow held down twigs and stolen blankets for the roof and door, with only a small hole at the top for smoke to go out of from the fire.

Inside wasn't....awful. There were more stolen blankets and food, as well as flint for starting fires. But when Bea heard Loren, she poked her head out. "What are you doin' here?" she huffed at him. She was clearly dirty, still wearing Edrei's military jacket and a hat and scarf she had gotten from who knew where. Jace poked his head out too, or what was likely his head. He had a hat on that was far too big, a big jacket and a scarf covering most of his face. Only his big eyes blinked up at Loren. The young boy waved at him with a hand in a mitten that was clearly far too large for him.
I'm young and I love to be young
I'm free and I love to be free
To live my life they way I want
To say and do whatever I please
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
At the sight of Beatrix and the sound of her voice, Loren almost cried tears of relief. And he did feel a few drops fall when Jace too emerged from the ruin. They threatened to freeze on his cheeks, but he found he didn’t care. Dismissing his hound, he stumbled forward and fell to his knees. Reaching out, he attempted to pull both children into a tight hug. ”Thank the gods you’re okay. I was so worried about you.” They were safe, or at least safe enough, but assuming they’d allowed him to touch them, he sent a pulse of healing magic through them, hoping to treat any injuries they might have sustained. Given how they looked—though he was only subconsciously aware of it—they were probably suffering from all number of minor maladies.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Age: 25 | Height: 5'5" | Race: Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
BEATRIX
Both Beatrix and Jace were pulled out of their little hovel, if only because the action took them entirely off guard. The healing magic coursed through them both, healing bumps and bruises and cuts and splinters – on Bea it healed little burns on her hands from starting fires – but nothing particularly serious, and only slightly more abundant than any child might acquire over an extended period of running amok outside in the woods.

But of course, very little else had changed with them.

”The gods didn’t have nothin’ to do with it! Mom and Aunt Edy taught me stuff about survival.” Bea huffed. No god was about to take credit for her hard work. ”And since when did you start worrying about us?” Bea added, her voice getting muffled between her scarf and his shoulder. Jace remained silent as usual, just looking up at Loren curiously, looking very much like a pile of laundry with big round eyes.
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
The children accepted Loren’s hug and his healing, and he squeezed them tightly before releasing them. At Beatrix’s insistence that the gods had nothing to do with it, the summoner smiled, still too glad to simply have found them to be bothered by much of anything. ”Right, right, of course.” Slinging the pack off his back, he started pulling out the correct sized clothing for them and food and holding it out to both Jace and Beatrix. "Here, take this. And let's get you back inside for now." However, at his half-sister’s question, Loren gave her a shocked look. ”I’ve been concerned about you since I got back, Bea. And when I realized you weren’t avoiding me and had run away from home I was worried sick.” He honestly didn’t know how she could ask him that question and the hurt was apparent in his voice and on his face.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
Beatrix’s eyes narrowed when Loren smiled and sort of brushed aside what she had said. Why was he smiling like that? Why was it even a question? They were a military family, of course she had been taught how to survive things! But he pulled out food that was much fresher than anything they had, and she begrudgingly took an apple and some bread. Jace was quite interested in the food himself, grabbing a big chunk of cheese with both hands and toddling back into the little hovel he had been living in with his sister.

As the young girl plopped on a few dirty blankets on the ground, she took a bite of the apple, returning her brother’s shocked look with one of confusion. ”We didn’t run away, we’ve been livin’ here since Edy died. Isn’t that right Jacey?” Bea said. Jace nodded, clearly much more interested in the cheese than what she was saying. ”Mom was queen and then she disappeared and Edy became queen. Then she died and we were the only heirs left. And there was the new queen lady and king and mom told me once how the best way to stop someone from taking your authority is to take out the other person’s heirs.” Beatrix said, pointing between her and Jace. ”So I took Jace and we’ve been here since so whenever mom comes back or Neron shows up, we will be here.”
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
When Beatrix mentioned that the two of them had been living out here since Edy died, Loren’s heart nearly stopped and the smile slid from his face. It was sad to hear the words about killing and politics falling from a face that was far too young for such concerns. The summoner sat on the ground in a cross-legged position, heedless of the cold, wet, and general discomfort, and placed his pack in front of him so the children had access to its contents.

When his half-sister finished speaking, Loren made sure to keep his voice low and soothing when he responded. ”No one is going to hurt you, Beatrix. I promise. There was a peaceful transition of power, and I have the oaths of the new king and queen that no harm will come to you. And if they try, I will kill them.” His voice left no doubt that he meant every single word. ”I know Zariah isn't here, but I am. I can take care of you both, now. Please, come home?” He wasn’t going to let either of them stay out here if he could help it, but he knew dragging them back wouldn’t work, so he’d try persuasion first. Family had to stick together, and Neron had never been in this world and there was no telling when Zariah would return. Or even if she would return.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
Beatrix blinked at him, before glancing at Jace, who was struggling to eat his cheese with his oversized mittens and scarf, and growing increasingly frustrated. But Bea made no move to help him. He had quite the lazy streak so she regularly forced him to do things on his own to try and break it, just like mom used to. He’d figure out how to get the problematic clothing off eventually. ”You’ll kill them, huh? That’s awfully Launceleyn-y of you.” she said with a slight drawl, still chewing on a bite of apple in a very unladylike way.

She considered him through narrowed eyes as she finished her bite and took another, roughly wiping at her chin as apple juice dribbled down it. ”And what about when mom comes back? Are you just gonna up and leave again? Or if you just get frustrated with us, you’ll just leave without warning?” Bea said, skeptical of him still. Even at her age, she wasn’t one to let herself get burned twice, a quick learner with a skeptical mind. She would’ve driven their father Cyton nuts if he were still around.
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Well, much as Loren might not want to admit it, he was a Launceleyn, and had been forged into a weapon. So yes, if it came down to Beatrix and Jace’s life or taking another's, he knew which one he’d choose. Without hesitation. ”Yes. Yes I will. And yes it is.” If that’s what she wanted from him, well, the summoner could provide it. Seeing Jace’s struggle, Loren fished out gloves that were both in better shape and a better fit. Taking the cheese gently, he broke it into smaller pieces, then stripped the oversized mittens off his nephew’s hands. Holding out the cheese in one hand and the gloves in the other, Loren smiled gently at the boy.

At Beatrix’s questions, he took a breath, trying to prevent himself from just snatching both of them up and bringing them home where they belonged. ”We promised to make a fresh start, remember? Pinkie promise? No talking about the past?” Still, he owed her a response, so he shook his head. ”No. When Zariah comes back, I will stay, unless she herself asks me to go. But I know that if she were here she’d want me to take care of you and she’d want you at the home she built for you.” For all his cousin’s faults, she’d loved her children. And still Loren didn’t have the heart to tell them that Zariah might never come back.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
The Launceleyn ways were familiar to Beatrix, and as wild and mouthy as she was, they made her comfortable. It was structure and predictable and something she could rely on; which was more than she had had as of late. "He can do it himself, he is just lazy." Bea said with a sigh as Loren helped Jace get readjusted. "Thank you." Jace said very quietly to Loren, the boy soft spoken and quiet by nature.

Then of course he proceeded to stuff his face with cheese in a very messy way.

"Well I'm tryin' but I gotta think about Jacey." Bea said with a huff. She was quite protective of her little brother. Jace just looked between the two with wide eyes. Beatrix's nose wrinkled as she considered what Loren said. "I guess but... I don't want you acting like you're my dad cause you're not. And I've been around here a lot longer than you have." she said in her best bargaining voice.
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
It seemed that Loren was acting getting through to Beatrix for once. Apparently threats of murder and violence were quite effective, sad as that was to think. ”Well, I can do it for him too. In fact, I want to. And you’re very welcome Jace.” Of course, then Jace went and smeared cheese all over his face and Loren sighed, but smiled. Taking a corner of his cloak, the summoner patiently wiped the mess from his nephew’s face. As Beatrix kept talking, Loren found his nerves settling somewhat. He could hear the negotiation for what it was, and he found himself taking it quite seriously, though the barest hint of amusement twinkled in his eyes. ”Of course we gotta do what’s best for Jacey. And how about a big brother?” It helped that he was, actually, her big brother. As for the fact that she’d been here far longer, well, he just nodded sagely at that. It was true, or true enough.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
Beatrix gave him a deadpan look as he insisted on helping Jace. Loren didn't know Jace like she did though. He was sweet and quiet and very well behaved, but he was a sneaky little shit - as Edrei would have said. He just rested on the fact that he was small and so adults felt compelled to help him, when in fact he was likely every bit as capable as a child twice his age. Smart and lazy - a dangerous combination - just like his father. That's what mom always said anyways.

Jace continued to eat his cheese while Loren wiped at his round cheeks. It was far more interesting than whatever him and Bea were talking about after all. Beatrix huffed as she considered, tapping her chin with her apple. "Well yeah, so that means you're really only half in charge of me. I'm the oldest kid of the family head, not you." she pointed out."
Table Code by Sky!
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Not knowing that behind Jace’s beautific exterior lurked a supposedly devious mind, Loren just kept cleaning up after his nephew. As Beatrix continued to lay out the terms, the summoner hesitated; if ever there was a time to tell her the truth about her parentage, it was now. Still, he was trying to get her to trust him, and revealing that secret seemed like it would just drive another wedge between them. ”Alright, deal.” He held out his hand for her to shake. So long as he got them home and safe without too much fuss, he figured he could figure out the rest of it. He could always remind her that strength determined who was in charge of the family, not lineage, and obviously he was far stronger than her. That could wait. It could all wait.
A beggar's book
outworths
a noble's blood
Beatrix Launceleyn

Change author:
BEATRIX
Well, Beatrix was pretty happy with that outcome! A deal had been struck! Loren was only half in charge and she was in charge of the other half! Half of what you might ask? Who knew! Thinking ahead was not really in her wheelhouse. She was more of the charge ahead with reckless abandon sort! ”Well then, let’s go. Come on Jacey, grab your stuff.” she said, standing herself.

Then, with clearly practiced quickness, the little boy shoved the last bits of cheese in his mouth and wrapped the scarf around his neck and face again. The only other thing he grabbed was the cat toy that had once been Bobi’s that he had found in Edrei’s room. He pocketed it and then put on a backpack that was much too big for him to carry. But he lifted his arms and Beatrix picked him up piggy back style. This was clearly the way in which Bea had been moving him and their necessities around in the deep snow, which were taller than Jace was and near waist high on her in places.
Table Code by Sky!