The Caido Collection Agency
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith
General of the Hollowed Grounds

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 61 - Dext: 60 - Endr: 61 - Luck: 58 - Int: 2
LOKI - Mythical - Dragon (Energy Blast)
Played by: Astor Offline
Change author:
MP: 0
dont know where the lights are taking us
but something in the night is dangerous
Wessex wonders why people don’t take the Fae at their word. Just because they’re small and different doesn’t mean they’re lesser. If anything, they’re probably better off and better protected.

The truth is that the Grounders have no fucking clue (except for maybe Ianto) what the Fae magic can do; none of them have gotten close enough to a Fae for a full demonstration of magic. And none of them have really gone head-to-head except for Kiada, who was just a young warrior versus someone who was… well, probably twice Wessex’s age. At least.

And if the Fae said that the monsters wouldn’t come into the Greatwood, Wessex is inclined to let them be, even if she doesn’t fully believe it.

“Did you think to ask if the Fae wanted your help? Or did you go in there, stomping around like an arrogant Outlander and try to force your magic on them, fully unaware of they’re already able to do?” Her eyes flash, highlighting a very real problem between the two groups - at least in her mind, there is still a division. She hisses quietly, trying to get the reality of the situation through his thick head. Good things done in ignorance can still turn out very, very bad. “Do you know anything about the Fae?”
the Firebrand
Headmaster / Grand Healer

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Level: 11 - Strg: 32 - Dext: 33 - Endr: 35 - Luck: 39 - Int:
ASTRA - Mythical - Luxere
Played by: Crooked Offline
Change author:
MP: 3415
LOREN
”No, I did not ask. And yes, I did go stomping in there.” Oh, there was a lot Loren could say to defend himself: that when he’d asked Wessex she hadn’t responded, which he’d interpreted as tacit approval, that Amalia had thought it was a good idea, that Remi had accompanied the summoner, which at least implied that the other man thought it was worth a shot. But ultimately, it was the Launceleyn’s fault and his responsibility, and he wouldn’t make any excuses. Besides, he knew he deserved more punishment than a short stint in a pit, no matter how emotional. ”Not really.” Just snippets, and a brief encounter with one, but really he was entirely ignorant of the Fae.
But don’t be weary if it’s broken
Families are like that—
they’re split up and always torn.
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Age: 47 | Height: 5'8'' | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
Remi may be the most powerful person in Caido aside from the Gods, but you know what he isn’t? King.

Amalia may be one of the most respected people in Caido, but you know what she also isn’t? Queen.

So it’s a damn good thing that Loren didn’t split his reasons back at her, because he is not like them. He doesn’t enjoy special privilege with the Fae for services rendred, or whatever the fuck it is they’ve done. He still has to prove himself worthy. His name is no good here.

“Exactly. So you’re fucking lucky Delah is just a contemptuous bitch and not a vengeful one, because you could have gotten yourself into serious trouble and we fucking need you, Loren.” Her hands clench and unclench as she shifts her weight forward, more into his face. “If you want to help as much as you say you want to help, then think before you act.” People die out here for not thinking - Wessex knows. She actually did.

“Stop acting from a place of privilege. Caido doesn’t care what you were, only what you do now.”
the Firebrand

Age: 29 | Height: 5' 11' | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Halo
Change author:
LOREN
”Understood.” And Loren did. He had already resolved not to make any decisions on his own from now on or to do anything beyond what he was told, so when Wessex basically ordered him to do so, it was easy enough to agree. It wasn’t like he had much choice in the matter. She was in charge, and he’d already made so many mistakes that it was all too easy to imagine himself making more. Easier to let someone else handle it, assuming he could trust her judgment any more than he trusted his own.

However, something about the queen’s self-righteous and likely totally justified anger bothered him. They might need him. Though he disagreed with that, since they’d gotten through many LongNights without him, as had been made abundantly clear to him. And Caido might not care what he did in the past, only what he could do now. But he did, and he cared about the actions of more than just himself.

So as Wessex got in Loren’s face, and he remained cool in the face of her words, one thought surfaced, a conversation he’d had with Roana before his disappearance, and the discussion he had with the queen herself in the Manor. It was regarding Wessex’s past actions, not Loren’s but it was important all the same. Delah wasn't the one who needed to answer for her actions in Loren's mind, but the jury was still out on Wessex.

And while it was likely an inopportune time, well, he wasn’t going to follow the orders of someone who’d broken a promise even before she made it. Although not a hint of what he was feeling showed on his face, and his voice came out in the same empty tone he’d been using this whole time, there was a flicker of something dark and ugly in his eyes. ”Roana told me you threatened her children.”

It wasn’t an accusation, just a statement. Still, it seemed to ring in the air between them even though he’d spoken it quietly.

Loren wasn’t the only one who needed to prove himself worthy here.
Families are like that—
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
So being a dick is something you need to answer for, but overstepping emotional and physical boundaries and lacking a spine isn’t? Wessex just wants to get the lay of the land here, wants to know by which standards an utter stranger will judge her by.

Clearly it isn’t the mettle of her actions now. It isn’t the toiling, tireless, thankless tasks she’s been at for two seasons, trying to repair the damage his relative did.

No, it’s by a think he’s only heard about. A thing he knows nothing about.

Her lip curls, disdain almost as powerful as Delah’s dripping like venom from her fangs. “Cute. Convenient redirection. If I answer, I give you the power by justifying past actions, and if I don’t you take it as a sign that I’m not to be trusted, despite the fact that you’re the one who’s just broken laws.” Endear, endear endear rings like an alarm through her head, doing absolutely nothing to temper the desire to run her talons through this child standing before her.

Roana wants to kill a whole race of people. My people. She tell you that too?” Wessex challenges back. It’s not justification, because what the Outlander is talking about happened once. And was never talked of again. It happened with the Old Wessex, who was angry. Who took advantage of an opportunity. Who would never have gone through with it, but that’s the power of threats, isn’t it? With some, you never know if they’re bluffing or not.

The Queen grows quiet and still - ethereally so. Doing the thing she hates herself for doing. Because if Roana is using it as justification for something, then she needs to stop it in it’s path. “I did. Over a year ago. When everyone was portalling in. Right before I died. And you know what? Dying changes a person. If you’re going to forget I gave my word, or negate everything I’ve been doing since becoming Queen, then you can take your fealty elsewhere.”

She did tell Loren she was only going to say it once. Wessex doesn’t hurt children.

He could have asked her - privately, under different circumstances, as less than an accusation. But this? This wasn't the place or the time to do it.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
Wessex was angry, which Loren supposed was fair. Although he hadn’t intended for his words to come out in such an undiplomatic fashion, they had, and he sighed, exhaustion settling deeper into his soul. He’d already apologized to her for the actions that led to his imprisonment in the pit, to her and Delah both, but he knew he needed to find a way to make amends before it was too late. Unfortunately, he was tired and not thinking clearly for reasons he really didn’t want to get into. However, the news about what Roana wanted to do caught him off guard. ”She wants to do what?” A growl started in his chest that surprised even him. ”No, she failed to mention that.” Unless timelines make that statement untrue. If it was indeed the case, well, the ex-captain needed to be stopped.

Still, it wasn’t his concern right now. First, he needed to find some way to make things right with Wessex. ”I’m sorry. I...clearly have lapses in judgment, but that’s no excuse. So. I apologize. I was always planning to come to you directly rather than listen to baseless rumors, and as soon as possible, but I could have and should have chosen a more opportune time. Thank you for your honesty.” Again, he bowed his head, awaiting whatever punishment she saw fit to mete out.

The queen had admitted it, which weirdly enough, made Loren more inclined to trust her. After all, he of all people knew the past should be left in the past, and that people could change. Or at least, a small secret part of him had to believe that, else he was doomed to a lonely and cold existence. And even in his darkest moments, he didn’t want that, not really.

Of course, he'd still be watching Wessex very closely for any sign of a relapse. And if she showed it, he wouldn't hesitate to stop her too, just as he wouldn't hesitate to prevent Roana from carrying out a massacre.
Families are like that—
Wessex Theskyra
the Wraith

Change author:
Of course she’s going to admit to her lapses in judgement - what was the alternative, to turn the accusations into a childish ‘she said-she said’ dog and pony show? No. No, she has more respect for herself and the people around her than to subject everyone to that.

What’s funny is that he’s managed to miss the fact that Wessex says she’s died.

Huh. Maybe in his world that’s a more common thing.

Whatever the case, she doesn’t really want to dwell on it, and she doesn’t want to spend the rest of her evening with the Launceleyn, either. Not after those words, that accusation, that disrespect. Is it any wonder she’s mad? “Go back to the Manor. You are confined to the Hallowed Grounds until after Deepfrost."

What a fucking hypocrite she’s about to be. “And if you break that punishment or trespass again, I’ll leave you in a cell or that pit for a great deal longer than necessary.” Don’t test me, her gaze says, while her tone implies that she’s not exaggerating. Wessex’s kindness has its limits - her understanding and allowances for the blighted are trying her patience and she doesn’t have the bandwith to let any who’s still normal act out of turn.
the Firebrand

Change author:
LOREN
He hadn't commented on her resurrection, because there'd been a lot of that going around and the Ascended equivalent back in Northaven had to be killed before they could rise, so he wasn't surprised by that fact. The punishment she meted out was lighter than he’d expected and lighter than he deserved. However, all things considered, he wasn’t going to complain, if only because he figured it would piss Wessex off. Well, piss her off further. ”Understood.” He saluted instead of bowing, because that was a direct order from a superior and she would’ve been annoyed if he’d bowed. Of course, he’d break her rule, just once, to go pray to Rae, but it wasn’t worth mentioning to her, and he figured that the gods superseded the orders of a queen, no matter how pissed off she got. And even if he got caught, it wasn’t like he wasn’t used to cells and pits.

Still, he'd do his best not to get caught.
Families are like that—