Prodigal
Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Provost of the Loreseekers Soul Shepherd
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Level: 12 - Strg: 30 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 38 - Luck: 42 - Int:
ISUMA - Mythical - Griffin (Venomous)
Played by: Cirago Offline
Change author:
MP: 10170
The first thing he had felt - truly felt, beyond the rage that had subsumed his consciousness for a time he could only guess at - had been the cold. His fingers and toes had been so cold, and the rest of him had gradually lost the numbness that had seeped into his very bones as he made his groggy way out of the black haze that had imprisoned his thoughts. He had continued to wander for a time in his animal shapes, using the protection of their fur and feathers to warm himself as his mind wandered in and out of anger, hunger, shame, and fear. He had continued to hunt, to kill for an unholy pleasure taken in the violence, but the mindless fury began to slip away and eventually he remembered that he had a name. Had a heart.

Had a home.

He had returned first to the farmstead, shaking with fear and fatigue, afraid of what he would find, but his black-fogged memories offered no clue. Not until Rory had opened the door and wrapped strong arms around him until he thought his ribs would break, not until he had frantically searched his mate for any signs of wound or new scar and found none did he begin to believe that the nightmare was ending.

It wasn't over yet, alas. The rages had not left him entirely, and his tears and blood were still black and thick, but they grew less so each day. Isuma returned to love them both, and for the first time in a season there was hope that things were finally getting better...

But Long Night was fast approaching, and though he did not entirely trust himself around others yet, there was no time to hide away and heal. Once he had regained enough of his strength to travel safely to and from town alone he had gone first to the bakery and then, when Amalia wasn't in, he had come to the Atheneum and the Guildhall, hoping he might find the Provost there.

" Amalia ?" he called softly as he descended the stairs. "Are you here?"
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Level: 5 - Strg: 49 - Dext: 45 - Endr: 52 - Luck: 49 - Int:
JYOTI - Mythical - Starwhale (Humpback)
Played by: shark Offline
Change author:
MP: 2580

She's imperfect, but she tries
She is good, but she lies
She is hard on herself
She is broken and won't ask for help

Amalia sits before the fire, a blanket over her slender frame and a book clutched in her hands, more on the table beside her. Tomes of stories, tales, history revised, all embracing a central thing: Safrin. Her origins, her exploits, the role she fulfills for Vi. All the information the girl can gather.

So far, it is not very much.

She has been digging into the collection from the library they uncovered underground, but even that offers little of substance. Born from starlight, favored daughter of Vi- sweet stories of generosity and silly ones of vanity, but nothing that offers any substantive information about the history of the being. Nothing that she can use, to draw the goddess back from the blight.

So it is that Jigano finds her, small and silent, reading beneath the light of candles and Jyoti's stars. She does not see him as he enters, too engrossed in her research, the journal of a devotee spread between her fingers. She does not notice him until he speaks, the voice making Amalia jump, her body suddenly taut with tension, wary and ready to spring into action should he strike with blighted fangs. "Jigano?" she answers unsteadily, remembering distinctly their last encounter. "What... what are you doing here?"

a m a l i a
She is messy, but she's kind
She is lonely most of the time
She is all of this mixed up and baked in a beautiful pie
She is gone, but she used to be mine

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Age: 36 | Height: 6'2" | Race: Attuned x Abandoned | Nationality: Outlander | Citizenship: Hollowed Grounds
Change author:
For a moment Jigano felt his heart seize at the familiar sight of Amalia curled up before the fireplace reading. It could have been any day in Flowerbirth or Longheat, the baker perusing old journals and histories while the bard brought down more books from upstairs to add to the Guild's shelves. Time spun around him, a dizzying and unsettling slippage of past and present, his mind still fogged with blight and aching weariness.

"I came... because I had to," he said, though his voice was uncertain as he slowly lowered himself to sit on the bottom steps of the stairs, keeping the length of the room between him and the baker. "I've been... lost, Rory said." He sighed, looking down at his shaking hands and grimacing at them. "It feels like I still am, sometimes. But... at least I've started remembering my life again. Who I was. Am."

He paused, steeling himself for what was becoming all-too-common an occurrence before he looked up to try and meet the baker's eyes from across the room. "I know that I owe you an apology. Again. I remember you telling me to 'be better' and I... I got worse instead. I think... I hurt you? You and Kiada and... Remi?" The memory was fuzzy, one of only a few remotely lucid moments in the sea of shadows that was the time he had lost between the first flake of snow and the slow return to consciousness a bare few nights past. "I needed to see you," he finished softly, ink-stained blue gaze dropping again as he plucked anxiously at a fold of his fresh tunic.

I needed to know that you were still alive,
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Age: 29 | Height: 5'6 | Race: Demi-god | Nationality: Natural | Citizenship: Stormbreak
Change author:

She is hard on herself

She watches as he settles onto the stair, still on edge, not trusting the blight. Yet as he speaks she finds herself moving, shifting forward in her seat, a new sort of tension marking her body, hope rising steadily in her throat. The way he speaks, the things he says- they feel like honesty, like clarity. They feel, she thinks, like him.

Slowly, carefully, Amalia rises, the blanket falling back on the chair, her long hair loose about her shoulders, a cautious expression on her face. From behind her, Jyoti coos, peering over the Shield's shoulder as they stare down at the man. She can hear the thundering of her own heart beneath her tunic of soft grey wood, can feel the urge to run to him, to see if the impossible has truly come to pass. But she doesn't believe it, cannot believe it.

That is, until he apologizes. "Jigano?" the baker repeats softly, tears in her dark eyes. "Is it... you?"

a m a l i a

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She had seen the raging beast, not the ragged man-shape, when he had attacked her at the Spire. Bastien could have told her about how his clothing had been torn and black with blood and whatever passed for it in his body, the fabric stiff and providing no defenses against the cold. Rory had helped him clean himself up, and had burned those clothes. At first glance the bard almost looked like his old self - white hair clean and brushed smooth before it had been carefully braided by the farmer's deft fingers, clothing warm and nearly spotless, his warm cloak of white furs wrapped around his shoulders - but closer inspection showed that his hair was still lank, his eyes were sunken and his face haggard. Shadows still trailed through his eyes and darkened his mouth, but there was blue within the black again, and the blight's tar was thinning. He looked like he had towards the end of Leafchange rather than the mad, rabid beast that had stalked the first week of Deepfrost.

He heard her rise and dared to look up. She was beautiful, was this woman who had fit within his heart as neatly as Rory had. Jyoti haloed them both in stars and for a moment Jigano looked like he might smile at the sight they made together, but there were tears in Amalia's eyes and he ached with the need to wrap her in his arms and hold her close, offering the sister of his heart every reassurance and promise that would fall from his lips.

Instead he held up a shaking hand, and swallowed the lump of bitter emotion in his throat as he gave a reluctant shake of his head. "Sometimes," he admitted quietly. "For the moment. Not... not entirely. Not enough." He hesitated then, afraid to give her false hope but desperate to find something to hope for himself. "But more than I was. A little more every day, I think." I pray, he added silently.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is hard on herself

He does look well groomed, better than her, with her loose grey tunic and twice worn pants, barefoot and messy haired in the flickering light. Were it not for the blackness which still rings his skin it might be confusing to tell who was sick, both of them lesser than when they met a year ago, ravaged in different ways by the blight.

The Amalia who stands before him is slender, moreso than she has been in the past. The circles below her eyes are dark, the lines in her face are new, and the way she holds herself is weary, as though a weight lay across her shoulders. She would have liked a hug, but he does not seem to want to offer- indeed, he does not seem to want her close at all. Narrow arms wrap around her chest, and her head tilts to the side as he raises his hand, stopping in her approach, anxious and insecure. A range of scenarios run through her mind: Is he worried she will shun him? (Never.) Is he unhappy to see her here? (Likely.)

Does he hate her, like Ronin and Safrin do? (Probably.)

"What... do you remember?" Amalia's brows draw together as she nibbles on her lip, not pressing closer, drawn and taut. "When did you start to feel better?"

a m a l i a

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She was not supposed to look so gaunt, so haunted. Amalia was the quiet, pious girl who worried, yes, and held her anxieties close, but she cared for herself and others in ways both great and small, even if only to keep her grandmother's ghost happy.

This Amalia looked more than half ghost herself, and Jigano drew in a sharp breath as she hugged herself and accentuated just how thin she had become. Irrational though it was, guilt struck him. Guilt for being blighted, for adding to her worries and not being there to be strong for her when she needed it most. He pushed himself unsteadily to his feet as his heart cried out to her.

Oh, my Amalia, he whispered in the link between Attuned, her name holding a wealth of love and worry and care and fear that he might hurt her. He knew he almost had hurt her, from one of those brief sparks of lucidity, and her question had him wincing as he took a cautious step towards her. He had to pay attention to every heartbeat, every second, every emotion that crossed his heart, measuring it against the likelihood that the blight was rising again with its rage and vicious words, but it was so hard to keep apart from her even if it was to protect her.

"Not much," he admitted softly aloud. "A blessing, I think. I remember leaving the farm and... running. Flying. Trying to get as far away as I could. I felt myself... fading, drowning in a wave of rage. And then..." He shook his head, a shudder running from crown to heels. "Just... nothing. Like when I had the fever. Nothing but darkness and then a few brief patches of light. I remember... you, and Kiada and... Remi?" It was more question than statement, the first surfacing for sanity hazy. "At the Spire. And then nothing again until Ianto in the Greatwood, and his blood on my teeth. And then Bastien..." The bard trailed off, shaking his head as if even the attempt to recall those few moments of clarity were physically painful.

"A while ago... a few days? I'm not really sure how long, exactly. It was fuzzy and... strange." His words were halting, interrupted by long pauses and nothing like his usual confident, smooth speech. This was raw, unfiltered, and all too often broken by missing and unclear memories from the man who prized knowledge so dearly. "I remember being less angry. I don't think I even knew my name, just that I was... I was tired. And then hungry, genuinely hungry, but the thought of hunting made me feel sick. Around then I started thinking in words again... I think. It took me longer to remember my name, but once I had that I remembered Rory and you and Sam. but I couldn't remember how long the snows had been falling or where I was." And just because his anger was less it didn't mean it was gone entirely. He had continued to lose hours and minutes to the darkness, coming out of it to find himself surrounded by a scene of destruction.

"I made it back to the farmhouse... somehow. I don't remember much of that trip, either. But Rory was there. Alive. I... I hadn't hurt him." He looked up at, black-marbled blue eyes anxious for her to believe him. "I couldn't remember... didn't know if I had when I was... lost. I was so afraid that I'd come back and find..." he trailed off again, for Amalia could well imagine the worst and most terrified thoughts. He took a shuddering breath and straightened his shaking shoulders with an effort, for what came next was better to remember by far. "But I didn't. He was there and he pulled me inside and..." He drew a steadying breath. "He helped me clean up and put me in bed and I still... the rage isn't gone. Not entirely. It's getting better but it's still there. But I've been too weak, and he knows what to look out for now. Today was the first day we trusted that I could try to come to town," he admitted more quietly, and it was not just his physical weakness that he was talking about. "But... I had to see you with my own eyes. Amalia... what happened? What did the Roses do?" Ianto and Amalia had both mentioned them in his foggy memories, but Rory had explained as best he could in full once Jigano was lucid enough to retain the knowledge. But the farmer hadn't known what had tipped the balance enough to bring the white fox home, and they both wanted desperately to know.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is hard on herself

She listens as he explains his journey, the things he remembers and the things he does not. The spire, when he struck them as they attempted to plant roses, leaving him with brief respite. Ianto's blood, and Amalia wonders if this is the other the fox mentioned meeting and striking with a thorn. Bastien, another of the surprising number of Ascendeds who seems to have found themselves aiding in the curing of the blight they caused. But these are small snippets of a long stretch of time, and the girl shivers as she wonders what else he has forgotten, remembering Ronin's monstrous form.

But then he had remembered things. Rory. Sam. And her. And he had found himself, found his home, found humanity beneath the darkness. How-? But there can only be one way, and Amalia knows it as sure as she knows her name. She has prayed for it, hoped for it, dreamed of it and, yes, doubted it. Her breath catching, Amalia blinks back tears, wonder and gratitude welling up as she realizes what must have occurred.

"Vi's roses," the girl whispers, a smile erupting from the clouds of her face. The tears spill now, rivulets upon her cheeks, but they are happy, happy, a thousand weights dropping from her shoulders. "They worked, Jigano. Vi - and Rae - they saved us. They saved you."

Which means they must have saved the others, too. Phoebe. Ronin. Kiada.

Safrin.

a m a l i a

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Her smile was the sun breaking from behind the storm, lighting her face and chasing away the worries that had become etched there - at least for the moment. Jigano shivered as the tears started to fall, holding himself back as he tested the length of his tether, but he felt no anger in his heart at the moment, and at last he stepped towards her, his friend, his sister, his dearest Amalia, and reached out with shaking hands to cup her face if she would let him, and gently brush her tears from her cheeks with his thumbs. He leaned down to press cold lips to her forehead in a kiss that trembled with the weight of his emotions, and would wrap his arms around her shoulders if she didn't push him away.

"They couldn't have done it without you, dearheart" he murmured fondly, touched and humbled anew by Amalia's piety. "The Roses... it was their thorns that woke me, those times I remembered. You planted them. Protected them. You saved me, just as much as Vi and Rae. Thank you. More than I have words to say... thank you." Not that Amalia had done it alone, but she was here and she had been brave and selfless and taken the worries of the world on her slim shoulders. There were debts to her that he already couldn't repay, but they were debts of love and forgiveness and perseverance that he would gladly spend a lifetime returning.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is hard on herself

He steps toward her, and Amalia lets him, almond eyes bright with happy tears as he places his hands upon her cheeks, brushing away the salt and sweat. The smile on her lips sings a song of relief - it's over, it's over, and their faith is rewarded, their efforts redeemed. Vi and Rae have heard and answered and washed away their sins.

Jigano's lips are soft upon her forehead, and Amalia lets her eyes fall shut, smiling, relieved, radiant, pleased. The idea that she had any real role is laughable, and the baker chuckles a little, her smile fading slightly as she turns her head away. There is red on her cheeks, though from happiness, shame, pride, or a mixture is difficult to ascertain. "There were so many who helped," she murmurs softly, running her hand over her arm. "And there is still work to do before Long Night. But... knowing that the blighted will be well when darkness falls..." There are no words for the weight of her relief, but he must feel it even more acutely than she ever could.

"So... what will you do, now that you're well?" Amalia asks with a returning smile, looking up to meet his blue eyes. "Go back to being provost of the Loreseekers, perhaps?" Her tone is playful, a clear invitation. Take back who you used to be. This is your place, not mine.

a m a l i a

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
She let him reach out to her, his fear of hurting her falling away beneath the weight of the need to touch her, to feel her skin and know that this was no fever dream, fleeting and insubstantial. She let him hold her, and the shivers that ran through him had little to do with cold, and a great deal to do with relief and a tentative joy that he was still afraid to feel lest it be ripped from him again by the darkness that still tainted his body and soul. Even though her chuckle was wry, deflecting the praise she has more than earned, at least it had a hint of happiness and he hugged her again before letting her pull back far enough that they could look at each other again. "We will do the work together," he assured her gently. "Recovering is a... trial," came the admission, his smile faltering. "But it is happening, and that is what matters. What I did in the claws of the blight..." He winced, looking away from her, knowing that she knew some of it. More than he did, frightening thought. But he drew a breath and looked down at the dear blond head, straightening his trembling shoulders as best he could. "I will have to find a way to repair what damage I did. To find out what damage I did. But each day is better, and by Long Night I think I will be strong enough again to defend our home." A word he did not say lightly, but if nothing else the blight had shown him what was most important to him, and how those priorities had changed since coming to Caido. Rory was his home, and the farmstead where he now lived with the blond hunter, and Amalia and Devas Bakery was, too, as well as the Atheneum and the Guildhall. Caido was his home, and he would stand beside her to protect it from gods and monsters alike.

Her question and invitation earned a slow grin, a flash of his old humor showing through as he leaned down to press his forehead to hers, closing his eyes and still smiling as he fell into mindspeech. You have kept them well and safe, and I am so very proud of you for it. But I would be honored to accept this gift if it will lessen some of the weight upon your shoulders, my Amalia. You are right that we have much to do, and no time to wait for all the blight to be gone completely before we begin.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is hard on herself

He accepts the return of responsibility - not that she'd doubted for a moment that he would - and it is another weight which rolls from her shoulders, one less thing to worry about, one fewer task to fail. He has always been better suited to leadership than she, more dedicated, more motivated. Her claiming the Loreseekers was done only in effort to keep the guild alive, and even that had almost ended in disaster. That he is willing to reclaim his crown before she has a chance to break it sets her a little more at ease.

She shakes her head again, her forehead sweeping against his as he says that he is proud. Proud of what? Of her arrogance, her stubbornness? A low laugh escapes her, and she pulls away again, eyes downcast and smile distant as she turns to face the fire. "I didn't do much but make things worse, I'm afraid. If Zariah hadn't disappeared, well..." Much would be different now, perhaps. Maybe they would both be imprisoned. Maybe the blight would have consumed them all.

Maybe Amalia should have listened to the Merciless, and stopped trying to be something she is not.

a m a l i a

Jigano Silversmith
the Sage
Portal Guardian
Change author:
Arguments could be made about how suited for leadership he really was, but the Loreseekers, at least, were his in a way that he could never fully walk away from. He would gladly take the responsibility for them back, the weight settling comfortably even on his weakened and still-shaky shoulders. He would have hugged her tighter, but he let her turn away instead, turning from him with downcast eyes as their momentary happiness already began to fade and melt away, like memory snow in the springtime.

Or blood into the earth. In such lovely little mental images did the blight remind him how close it still was to the surface of his thoughts.

"You kept the Guild intact when I chose to run and hide," he said gently, moving up beside her. "You showed strength and courage in the face of Zariah's tyranny. We each protested her seizing of power in different ways. But the important thing is, because of you the Guild survived. And then when I became... like this..." The broken cadence returned to his voice and he stopped to take a steadying breath. "Well. Well indeed. It would not have survived either trial without you. You held the hope of the Guild in your hands, Amalia, and you protected it in spite of the challenges you faced. Of course I am proud of you," he finished, voice gentling again. "Especially considering that Caiside and I have both been Blight-stricken, and Sam..." he trailed off on the name, uncertain what to say about the moody bookmaker who could be loyal to a fault. Sometimes that was a good thing! But sometimes, like when it came to his goddess...

It very much was not.
Amalia Chandrakant
the Archangel
Baker

Change author:

She is hard on herself

She does not believe that the things he says make her exceptional, but gods, it feels good to be praised, to be showered with affirmation rather than drowned in defeat. A little of the smile returns, childish and fragile as she looks at the man. "I tried," Amalia whispers, her alto voice soft and brittle. "Everything keeps falling apart, but I... I try."

It feels good, to cling for a moment to the small successes in a sea of failures.

But all good things must pass. Shadow falling on her face once more, Amalia moves to her piles of books, picking one up to show Jigano. "Well, provost- maybe you can help me." A little bit of humor in her voice, though she still sounds ragged, tired and dull. "I was trying to read up about Safrin. About her origin. Have you come across anything?"

a m a l i a